Can Nederland?!

smitty

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="James Mosley" post="856564" timestamp="1285414133"]
To answer your questions directly smitty, Yes they can. Fact is, and you do like facts, the success rate of them making the top four has been pretty good over the past 15 or so years, actually the correct facts would be the top three over the past 15 or so years. Therefore I'll stick with, Yes, Yes they can still make the top four.
[/quote]

(no offense to Nederland intended ) Just reminds me of Obama's campaign slogan "Yes We Can"..Now He's saying..."Wish I Could"...JK.. ;D

I do.  But I am also a realist.  I don't believe you make things better by constantly ignoring what's wrong.  That goes for any aspect in life.  Don't you think?!
I'll give you people something else to think about:  Maybe the OC can't run this type of offense.  Maybe he's better at the old offense they ran.  I'm not sure I like this monkey-see, monkey-do mentality.  Katy, and Livingston proved what a good ground-oriented offense can do.  Much like Nederland use to run, until they thought this was better.  Just thinking out loud here.  Any thoughts?

[quote name="bigd92" post="856632" timestamp="1285423882"]
Smitty do you still support the team?I assumed you were a Ned fan.
[/quote]

I hate the spread offense. All it has been good for since we started using it has been getting our QBs injured and leaving our defense on the field for 2/3 of the game. It takes the whole play clock to get the play in and we never run it quickly. I liked the old offense much better and am not sure why we ever changed to this.

Well it's kind of like this, with two weeks off to think about it our DC didn't have a very good defensive scheme laid out for the game. But unlike you smitty I am not going to beat a dead horse. On offense we don't have any consistency. Which has been a problem for both QB's. We have to come up with some way to keep the offense on the field longer and get points. As far those that think we did better under the old offense you need to flash back a few years and you will find that we were totally predictable under that scheme. The problem is we are not very creative on either side of the ball.

Smitty,
You give such easy questions.
1. Fake punt - why? easy, coaches call, maybe he saw something on game film that gave him reason to try and pull it off, this time it didn't work, next time maybe it does, remember it did work at the last home game. Why did the Saints kick an on-side in the super bowl after half time. That too was the coaches call, one that worked. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. our coaches record shows that the calls he makes usually are right.
To dawgnut
1. Take away two long runs and our DC throws a shutdown defensive scheme. By the way those two long runs came after our starting linebacker was hurt. Before then we held them to an average of 3.2 yards per carry. 3.2 yards per carry for 56 carries. Seems to me they had a good scheme planned for two weeks. All that with the only player on defense, (sonnier), who could have ran down the Vidor running back on the sidelines in dress clothes. That wasn't their fastest back running those long runs either....
2. Old offense vs. new offense - either offense you gotta have players make the plays. you can't have missed assignments, missed routes, give up on blocking assignment too soon, etc.... I prefer the old Nederland offense but the trend is the spread nowadays.
Bottom line - game plan is there to win, players make it happen...
Again, answer to smitty - Yes Nederland can still make the top four!

Fake punts have a place in ones game plan.  If it works, your a genius.  If it doesn't, well.  The problem I have with this one is that it was on Ned's own 28 yard line.  Meaning a failed attempt -- and it was -- would be more disastrous then if it would have been closer to the 50 yard line.  I think this was a bad coaching mistake on the HC's part.
Now to offenses: The problem with everyone going to the same offense assumes that every OC can coach this type of offense.  I'm not sure I hold with the philosophy that all coaches can coach every offense there is.  IMHO.

[quote name="James Mosley" post="858057" timestamp="1285500898"]
Smitty,
1. Fake punt - why? easy, coaches call, maybe he saw something on game film that gave him reason to try and pull it off, this time it didn't work, next time maybe it does, remember it did work at the last home game. Why did the Saints kick an on-side in the super bowl after half time. That too was the coaches call, one that worked. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. our coaches record shows that the calls he makes usually are right.
To dawgnut
1. Take away two long runs and our DC throws a shutdown defensive scheme. By the way those two long runs came after our starting linebacker was hurt. Before then we held them to an average of 3.2 yards per carry. 3.2 yards per carry for 56 carries. Seems to me they had a good scheme planned for two weeks. All that with the only player on defense, (sonnier), who could have ran down the Vidor running back on the sidelines in dress clothes. That wasn't their fastest back running those long runs either....
2. Old offense vs. new offense - either offense you gotta have players make the plays. you can't have missed assignments, missed routes, give up on blocking assignment too soon, etc.... I prefer the old Nederland offense but the trend is the spread nowadays.
[/quote]

[quote name="smitty" post="858599" timestamp="1285540521"]
Fake punts have a place in ones game plan.  If it works, your a genius.  If it doesn't, well.  The problem I have with this one is that it was on Ned's own 28 yard line.  Meaning a failed attempt -- and it was -- would be more disastrous then if it would have been closer to the 50 yard line.  I think this was a bad coaching mistake on the HC's part.
Now to offenses: The problem with everyone going to the same offense assumes that every OC can coach this type of offense.  I'm not sure I hold with the philosophy that all coaches can coach every offense there is.  IMHO.

[quote author=James Mosley link=topic=72900.msg858057#msg858057 date=1285500898]
Smitty,
To dawgnut
[/quote]
[/quote]
I believe Nederland's HC thought the Dogs were on Vidor's 28, not their own 28.

LOL!!!!    ;D

[quote name="pngpurple4ever" post="858761" timestamp="1285553425"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=72900.msg858599#msg858599 date=1285540521]

[quote author=James Mosley link=topic=72900.msg858057#msg858057 date=1285500898]
Smitty,
To dawgnut
[/quote]
[/quote]
I believe Nederland's HC thought the Dogs were on Vidor's 28, not their own 28.
[/quote]

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder