Texas State

This will get your fired up UNLV!  Just saw on the Texas State Football site where they have announced a 13,500 seat expansion to Bobcat stadium that will start after the 2011 season.  It will bring that stadium capacity to about 28-29k.  Looks like they are getting ready for a move to FBS football.  Lamar needs to be getting their expansion plans "construction ready" in case they need to move quickly.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess since Texas State averages around 12K per game and sells less than 3K of season tickets per year they figure they need another 13K seats for their 16K stadium.  They are funding their move to a FBS conference almost exclusively with student fees.  The athletic fee for their students is going up to $20 per semester hour.  For basketball, I bet Lamar sells more season tickets per game than what Texas State gets in attendance per game. 

Lamar does have some advantages over Texas State that I hope they take advantage of.  The latest University Press says Lamar will only have about 3K of tickets available at each game for walk up sales.  I think Lamar will probably bring in around $2 million this year just in ticket sales.  The community supports Lamar, not so much Texas State.  I also like the fact that Lamar is surrounded by football talent and will always get at least a few good local players.  Texas State does not have that luxury, and being in the shadow of UT, will always have to fight real hard for talent.

Let Texas State and UTSA jump to the WAC right now, it's not going to bring them instant success.  Lamar will come into it's own in the next couple of years and should be in a nice position to see how conferences are shaping up and can make a smart move to a FBS conference.

Texas st going FBS will see an instant jump in attendance. Texas st then could bring in home games the likes of BYU, Alabama, K-st, Houston, TCU,
and Texas Tech type teams.

I think PU should be expanded to 40k if LU goes FBS. I am very sure Texas st and UTSA is getting the WAC invite spring 2011 or sooner.
LU should join them. This a big door opening to FBS. Once you are in, you are in. Nobody can knock you out. FBS is working overtime
to stop FCS upgrades and eventually it will happen. So LU can't mess around being too picky about moving up or LU will find itself locked out.

[quote name="UNLV" post="837290" timestamp="1283520809"]
Texas st going FBS will see an instant jump in attendance. Texas st then could bring in home games the likes of BYU, Alabama, K-st, Houston, TCU,

I think PU should be expanded to 40k if LU goes FBS. I am very sure Texas st and UTSA is getting the WAC invite spring 2011 or sooner.
LU should join them. This a big door opening to FBS. Once you are in, you are in. Nobody can knock you out. FBS is working overtime
to stop FCS upgrades and eventually it will happen. So LU can't mess around being too picky about moving up or LU will find itself locked out.
[/quote]

I'm no architect or engineer but I have done some looking and projecting of my own and I don't see how they can get more than 32-34k max capacity.  there are real space limitations for PU.  And I think they put the Athletic Complex a little to close to the stadium limiting the largest space they had available for expansion, the south end zone.  I have looked several times and I am unsure about the ability to put a upper deck on the east side.  I believe with some engineering genius, it probably could be done, or they could extend the east stadium seats further up.  But the railroad tracks are a problem and I believe there are federal regulations as to how close structures can be to railroad tracks.  I do believe you can get some stadium seating between the Montagne and the endzond (bleow the suites) but it will not add a great deal of capacity.  The west side is even more space limited and maybe the best tehy can do is to put a real nice and spacious suite box that is first class and goes from goal line to goal line.  The closer they can get to 40k the better.

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="837507" timestamp="1283535818"]
I don't know an exact figure of season tickets but I can tell you there are only 1500 total tickets left for the home opener September 11th. So if you want to go and haven't got a ticket yet I don't recommend waiting to get them at the gate.
[/quote]

So tell us the in-exact figure that you do know for season ticket sales.

[quote name="UNLV" post="837290" timestamp="1283520809"]

[/quote]

Yep, just like ULL, ULM, North Texas, and Ark St. brings them in.

::)

Doc

[quote name="McNeese72" post="837934" timestamp="1283562350"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=72367.msg837290#msg837290 date=1283520809]

[/quote]

Doc
[/quote]La tech home and home with BYU, UNT home with K-st, ULM home Arkansas, ull OK st...
Mcneese...cal poly....LOL.. now go hide your face...

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="838225" timestamp="1283569117"]
Well if only 1500 hundred tickets left to the game I would think that means there are only 1500 season tickets left available
[/quote]

My guess is they have sold between 5 & 6k in season tickets.  I hope I'm not to optimistic but that appears to be a good number based on everything I know about stadium capacity and tickets sold for the 1st game.

[quote name="UNLV" post="838080" timestamp="1283566222"]La tech home and home with BYU, UNT home with K-st, ULM home Arkansas, ull OK st...Mcneese...cal poly....LOL.. now go hide your face...
[/quote]

Wasn't that ULM "home game" against Arkansas in Little Rock, Arkansas? That sounds great! UNLV would probably love to host Southern Cal in San Diego, eh?

ULL got Oklahoma State, but wasn't it a 2-for-1? That stinks.

Doubt TXST does as well as UTSA as far as scheduling.

[quote name="McNeese72" post="837934" timestamp="1283562350"]

[/quote]

Doc
[/quote]
Actualy UNT's attendance has increased, even with the crappy teams we have fielded under Todd Dodge.  Plus, anytime we bring in TCU, SMU, Baylor, or other "name" teams, we generally get between 25 to 30,000 fans.  With the new new stadium next year, and home games against Houston and Indiana University, we look to have capacity crowds.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="838641" timestamp="1283605442"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=72367.msg838080#msg838080 date=1283566222]La tech home and home with BYU, UNT home with K-st, ULM home Arkansas, ull OK st...Mcneese...cal poly....LOL.. now go hide your face...
[/quote]

Wasn't that ULM "home game" against Arkansas in Little Rock, Arkansas? That sounds great! UNLV would probably love to host Southern Cal in San Diego, eh?

ULL got Oklahoma State, but wasn't it a 2-for-1? That stinks.

Doubt TXST does as well as UTSA as far as scheduling.
[/quote]All of which is better than home vs langston...

[quote name="UNLV" post="838684" timestamp="1283609171"]All of which is better than home vs langston...[/quote]

You do realize this is year one of the Lamar program? You do realize the Cards actually have one of the better schedules of a start-up program?  ???

Go back to the MWC... you obviously can't keep track of the Red Birds!

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="838701" timestamp="1283609922"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=72367.msg838684#msg838684 date=1283609171]All of which is better than home vs langston...[/quote]

You do realize this is year one of the Lamar program? You do realize the Cards actually have one of the better schedules of a start-up program?  ???

Go back to the MWC... you obviously can't keep track of the Red Birds!
[/quote]

TexasTerror, I didn't think you liked our schedule. Now you are stating "the Cards actually have one of the better schedules of a start-up program".

[quote name="bigred360" post="838851" timestamp="1283620488"]TexasTerror, I didn't think you liked our schedule. Now you are stating "the Cards actually have one of the better schedules of a start-up program".[/quote]

I do not like the fact you guys are entering the SLC in '11. The schedule is not surprising or much of a stretch by any means. I've probably defended your schedule more than berated it, especially with some of the negative folks like UNLV who prefer to run Lamar into the ground...

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="838904" timestamp="1283623723"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=72367.msg838851#msg838851 date=1283620488]TexasTerror, I didn't think you liked our schedule. Now you are stating "the Cards actually have one of the better schedules of a start-up program".[/quote]

I do not like the fact you guys are entering the SLC in '11. The schedule is not surprising or much of a stretch by any means. I've probably defended your schedule more than berated it, especially with some of the negative folks like UNLV who prefer to run Lamar into the ground...
[/quote]Who on this forum believes Terror would be upset to see LU run into the ground?  The truth is Terror is outraged by the solid growth of LU.
However I kinda agree with Terror on this, I don't want to see LU in the SLC at anytime. It was I-AA, FCS, JV ball that ran LU into the ground for 21 years.

I sat next to some people at the game last night that was bad mouthing the coaching decisions on play calling and had no Idea on what a penelty was.  Im glad they were out supporting Lamar but wish they could have just been quiet.  Just negativity gets me thats all.

[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="837335" timestamp="1283524692"]

[/quote]

I'm no architect or engineer but I have done some looking and projecting of my own and I don't see how they can get more than 32-34k max capacity.  there are real space limitations for PU.  And I think they put the Athletic Complex a little to close to the stadium limiting the largest space they had available for expansion, the south end zone.  I have looked several times and I am unsure about the ability to put a upper deck on the east side.  I believe with some engineering genius, it probably could be done, or they could extend the east stadium seats further up.  But the railroad tracks are a problem and I believe there are federal regulations as to how close structures can be to railroad tracks.  I do believe you can get some stadium seating between the Montagne and the endzond (bleow the suites) but it will not add a great deal of capacity.  The west side is even more space limited and maybe the best tehy can do is to put a real nice and spacious suite box that is first class and goes from goal line to goal line.  The closer they can get to 40k the better.
[/quote]

Lets worry about filling the seats we have first.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="839642" timestamp="1283661022"]
[font=Courier]SW Texas State still want to play with the big boys? Houston could have scored 150 on them.[/font]
[/quote]

I love the trash talk from a start-up program.. You're right, they could have scored 150; they have an incredible offense and a Heisman candidate QB. What did you expect?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami