Silsbee Coach Trawhon

[quote name="Bobcat55" post="800765" timestamp="1273710882"]
I've known Todd for a long time and I feel he was done wrong. I'm not an employee of Silsbee and I was not in the meeting when Todd was "re-assigned" but I can say with confidence that some people, and not just at Silsbee, talk about being tough on kids and no nonsense but when a coach does it their ideas change. I've heard people talk saying he yells too much or he's too tough on the kids well that is what he has done since day one and when he was winning it was wonderful. I hope Silsbee ISD realizes that they just dumped on a guy who just did his job and cared for his players. I know I would let him coach my kid anyday and I hope he does well at his next school. Keep your head up Todd and remember who your real friends are.
[/quote]

Amen. Todd is a good man and some team in the area will wind up with a great coach.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=Ty Cobb link=topic=69621.msg800650#msg800650 date=1273676200]
Silsbee just lost one heck of a baseball coach.  Coach Trawhon did a wonderful job turning that program around and brought respect to Silsbee baseball.  Here are just a few of his accomplishments:

[b]2006 District championship[/b]
Coach of the year
#5 state ranked team in 3A  
Snapped Bridge City's district winning streak.
100 wins in a little over 6 seasons.
at least 4 of his players went on to play college baseball. (Brandon Chambers, Rocky Calhoun, Joel Schooling, Blake Moss)

Raised enough money to make the following improvements to the baseball field:
Covered batting facility
Built a bullpen
Brick wall behind home plate
Metal fence in the outfield
Rebuilt the home dugout
New scoreboard
Planter boxes and palm trees
One of the nicest playing surfaces in the area.

Silsbee baseball will miss Coach Trawhon!!!

[/quote/]

Pretty sure BC won district in 06......

Not sure what the reasoning was behind the decision. As some one who played for 3 coaches in 4 years, Trawhan being one of them, he was the only one that was committed to the program. I wish he would have been there my 4 years. The others were just there. Some people should be careful of what they wish for because coahing can only get you so far. The players have to play the game. He can't hit for them, he can't pitch for them, and he can't field for them. Some people may think his techniques are wrong or he yells to much, but at some point the players and parents have to get out of the little league mentality, suck it up and play. Hope the next coach you guys get cares and produces the way he did. I wish the best for coach and I know if I was looking for a coach he would definately get my call. Silsbee will not be better off without him!

[quote name="baseballdude" post="800847" timestamp="1273737330"]
Silsbee just lost one heck of a baseball coach.  Coach Trawhon did a wonderful job turning that program around and brought respect to Silsbee baseball.  Here are just a few of his accomplishments:

Coach of the year
at least 4 of his players went on to play college baseball. (Brandon Chambers, Rocky Calhoun, Joel Schooling, Blake Moss)

Covered batting facility
Built a bullpen
Rebuilt the home dugout
New scoreboard

[/quote/]

[/quote]

Pretty sure they weren't in the same district that year!!!!!!

[quote name="BearKats30" post="800848" timestamp="1273738256"]
Not sure what the reasoning was behind the decision. As some one who played for 3 coaches in 4 years, Trawhan being one of them, he was the only one that was committed to the program. I wish he would have been there my 4 years. The others were just there. Some people should be careful of what they wish for because coahing can only get you so far. The players have to play the game. He can't hit for them, he can't pitch for them, and he can't field for them. Some people may think his techniques are wrong or he yells to much, but at some point the players and parents have to get out of the little league mentality, suck it up and play. Hope the next coach you guys get cares and produces the way he did. I wish the best for coach and I know if I was looking for a coach he would definately get my call. Silsbee will not be better off without him!
[/quote]

Very well said BearKats30!!!

[quote author=baseballdude link=topic=69621.msg800847#msg800847 date=1273737330]

Coach of the year

Covered batting facility
Built a bullpen
Rebuilt the home dugout
New scoreboard

[/quote/]

Silsbee won District 22 in 2006.  Jasper was 2nd, and Kirbyville was 3rd.  Silsbee lost to Barbers Hill in 3 games in the Area round.

[quote name="BearKats30" post="800848" timestamp="1273738256"]
[/quote]

Good post.

I had two of my three sons play for Trawhon!! When I told them that Coach had been relieved from his duties as baseball coach, they were very disappointed in the discussion!! I know that I was!! He was always fair with my kids!! I'll have to agree with BearKats30!! I watched a program for three years go nowhere until Trawhon showed up!! First year was rough in 4-A but things got better as we moved back to 3-A!

Parents have to let their kids grow up and be coached!! When they leave high school, go to college and start work you will not be able to "BABY SIT"
them then!!!!

Silsbee lost a great baseball coach and person in Trawhon!!

I'm glad my kids played for Trawhon and wish him and his family all the best!!

Was talking with a former Tiger player and the subject turned to a former coach with "similiar" styles.

Anyone remember Coach Rivera......

Pretty sure if the rumors are true about not liking the coaching style of Coach Trawhon then they really would have hated him.

Sad to hear that parents (if true) are even more thin skinned than most student athletes today. Good luck to Todd and best wishes.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="800932" timestamp="1273763432"]
[quote author=BearKats30 link=topic=69621.msg800848#msg800848 date=1273738256]
Not sure what the reasoning was behind the decision. As some one who played for 3 coaches in 4 years, Trawhan being one of them, he was the only one that was committed to the program. I wish he would have been there my 4 years. The others were just there. Some people should be careful of what they wish for because coahing can only get you so far. [b]The players have to play the game. He can't hit for them, he can't pitch for them, and he can't field for them. Some people may think his techniques are wrong or he yells to much, but at some point the players and parents have to get out of the little league mentality, suck it up and play. Hope the next coach you guys get cares and produces th[/b]e way he did. I wish the best for coach and I know if I was looking for a coach he would definately get my call. Silsbee will not be better off without him!

Good grief don't say that on the softball board escpecialy if you are from Colmesneil ( a jab to our neighboring community). supposedly certain players want you to say they are doing a good job and it's okay if that player make more than 5 errors in an inning.  girls are just as tough as boys....The real world won't allow you 5 mistakes..they say you're fired or your put in jail...

It's a shame when a good coach like Trawhorn is relieved because of parents
[/quote]
You are one of the best coaches around..

Good post.
[

I was extremely disappointed that Coach Trawhon was relieved of his duties. Silsbee has a reputation of supporting its coaches with one exception. During the past 20 years the fans have never been happy with the baseball coaches. Trawhon had a bunch of young players and injured pitchers to deal with this year. They are good young kids but their talent level does not match some years in the past. The standard is set in recent years by the team that had Kevin McDonald, Joel Schooling and Rocky Calhoun in 2006. None of these kids could play at their level but if you look at the rest of that team, Blake Moss, Colby Hargrave, Craig Force, Josh Skinner, Keith Flowers, Rodney Daigle and Steven Steed they were all more mature and stronger players than the group on the field this year. Despite their youth and lower skill level this group performed well and finished the season nearly at the .500 mark.
I think Silsbee has made a mistake and if we start judging coaches strictly by fan opinion and won loss record we may loss most of our coaches in the future.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="802823" timestamp="1274149018"]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=69621.msg802822#msg802822 date=1274148573]
Just a question, why don't [b]they[/b] judge the head football coach the same way?
[/quote]

Who is "they"?
[/quote]

The parents of Silsbee of course and every other school.  ;D

Guest Silsbee88
[quote name="bleed orange" post="802829" timestamp="1274149763"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=69621.msg802823#msg802823 date=1274149018]
[quote author=bleed orange link=topic=69621.msg802822#msg802822 date=1274148573]
Just a question, why don't [b]they[/b] judge the head football coach the same way?
[/quote]

Who is "they"?
[/quote]

The parents of Silsbee of course and every other school.  ;D
[/quote]

Not every baseball player or parent in Silsbee judges Coach Trawhon......Todd is a good man, father, teacher and coach.  Thank you for all you have done in Silsbee Coach Trawhon.

• 3 weeks later...
I have not been on this site in awhile and have been out of the loop, but I can tell you that my heart is broken for Coach Trawhon and hearing that he has been relieved of his position as head baseball coach at Silsbee.  Coach Trawhon has always been fair to all of the boys and never had anything but their best interests at heart.  My son, Joel Schooling, is looking down on this and is sad.  He had a great respect for Coach Trawhon and I will be forever greatful to this man because he helped my son to become a better person and a better ball player.  I did not always agree with his coaching but I never interfered as I figured he was the coach and he knew what he was doing.  Of course the results were on the field.  We did have a group of boys who loved the game of baseball and they showed it by their performances.  I am proud of what Coach Trawhon has accomplished in Silsbee and he has been able to put Silsbee on the map in baseball.  I wish you nothing but the best Coach Trawhon, and I thank you for your support when I lost Joel.  You and your family will always have a special place in the Schooling's family hearts.

[quote name="TigerMom" post="809388" timestamp="1275706078"]
I have not been on this site in awhile and have been out of the loop, but I can tell you that my heart is broken for Coach Trawhon and hearing that he has been relieved of his position as head baseball coach at Silsbee.  Coach Trawhon has always been fair to all of the boys and never had anything but their best interests at heart.  My son, Joel Schooling, is looking down on this and is sad.  He had a great respect for Coach Trawhon and I will be forever greatful to this man because he helped my son to become a better person and a better ball player.  I did not always agree with his coaching but I never interfered as I figured he was the coach and he knew what he was doing.  Of course the results were on the field.  We did have a group of boys who loved the game of baseball and they showed it by their performances.  I am proud of what Coach Trawhon has accomplished in Silsbee and he has been able to put Silsbee on the map in baseball.  I wish you nothing but the best Coach Trawhon, and I thank you for your support when I lost Joel.  You and your family will always have a special place in the Schooling's family hearts.
[/quote]

I hope Coach Trawhon sees this!  Had him as my 7th & 8th grade football coach (Jasper), he was tough on us, but cared more about his players on and off the field than any other player.  I remember him working with me on my swing after FB practice one day.  Coach best of luck coach, I have a feeling you will land a job better than Silsbee. 

I have figure out a way for each school dstrict to save money each year.  Since the players parents know so much about who should be starting and playing, lets let each parent of the players coach one season.  They are so quick to blame the coach and start complaining to the school board about getting rid of the coach, let them coach.  Some of these parents have not dealt with reality.  Some think they have the next Alex Rodriquez when in reality they dont even have an athlete.  Just beacuse your kid owns a bat and glove and can catch a ball when it is thrown directly toward thm, they think that is an athlete. Team players dont care about their individual playing time but contribute in whatever manner they can to help the TEAM do well.  It is ashamed that some meddling parents have to destroy an entire sports program because their child who does have an athletic bone in their body didnt get to start.  Wake up school boards and quit letting the parents cause you to make stupid decisions.  That it what you are paid to do. I am sure it happens all over the country but it is sad when a great coach coming of a banner year has a bad next season and the parents get him fired bacause their NO TALENT child didnt get to play.  GET OUT THERE PARENTS!!  YOU COACH THE TEAM!!

• 2 months later...
Been given this a lot of thought and I know it's been a while. You can't argue Coach Trawhon knew baseball, and he has shown that here at Silsbee. I seen this past year Silsbee just missed the playoff by just a few runs, we came in fourth in district. It's no doubt that talent and experance will go a long way in helping a coach. Over the past four years the experance level here has going down. Just a hand full of seniors down to just a couple and then none last year. Two top pitchers going down last year did not help either. Now talent wise Silsbee has always had it, its always been there. Just not enough experance to level things out.  That will kill a coach. And I can tell you winning, no matter were you are or what sport, is tops. Going to the playoff helps out alot also. If you had players making two are three errors a game just about every game you would take him out and gave someone else a try. Not saying the players are bad but that mite not be the postion that they can play.  Why not change the players around and if the other players can play that postion better good if not then you tried something. If you have a code of conduct follow it for every one. Like I said before the talent is there, these players can play and play more than one postion. The experance level just was not up there with the talent and the wins did not come. Coach Trawhon has done a good job here the field shows it and every thing around it shows it. For the past several years the wins did not show it. We have all seen it in football, basketball, volleyball, no matter what sport if you don't win you start getting a magnafying glass on you. For example in football in this area over the past several years there has been four, five, six coaching changes each year, and I'll guess over 90% is because of not winning. I wish Coach Trawhon good luck in what ever he does, and I wish our new coach good luck in what he does. Go Tigers!!!  

• 1 month later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder