Houston Yates 170, Houston Lee 35 - Final

cutt

Imho, in sports you have to earn people's respect by 1) winning and 2) displaying sportsmanship (class). One doesn't cut it, you have to have both. In fact, people tend to respect a lesser tem that plays hard and displays sportsmanship more than a winning team that has no sense of sportsmanship. Watch a rerun of The U on Espn. Miami football players were still whining in the interviews about the lack of respect for their teams (then and now) despite their winning, all because they were as classless as they were good. Nobody's fault but theirs. Yates intentionally humiliated Lee in an effort to earn respect by breaking the scoring record PERIOD. Humiliating someone is never a display of sportsmanship and will never result in widespread respect. Yates has an opportunity to be one of the great teams in Texas high school basketball history. Whether they are respected or not is yet to be seen. If they choose records over respect thats their choice. However, neither Yates nor their supporters/defenders have any reason to whine if they choose to throw respect away.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="739570" timestamp="1262823258"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=64409.msg739541#msg739541 date=1262818853]
[quote author=Gabe link=topic=64409.msg739537#msg739537 date=1262818372]
I don't like they pressed for so long but if Lee doesn't want to get scored on so much, play better defense. This is almost exactly like a football team scoring 70. Nothing ever gets said about that.
[/quote]

Am hearing a rumor that the Yates team is essentially an AAU all star team.  Any truth to that?
[/quote]Just rumors! Yates has always been good in basketball.
[/quote] Blue Yates won state last year.But how long has it been before that,do u no.

If you have 15 players and play them all you can't tell 11-15 not to score.They put in the work you have to let them play the game.I know Yates is a powerhouse but there are ways to keep a club from scoring 170.Lee needs to get in the gym and work to at least make themselves respectable.I can see them having to pay a steep price for those break away slams in the future.

[quote name="SFA85" post="739532" timestamp="1262817032"]
[quote author=westend1 link=topic=64409.msg739526#msg739526 date=1262815243]
[quote author=SFA85 link=topic=64409.msg739523#msg739523 date=1262814597]
Bottom line, Westend, blowouts go on all the time but when it happens in the Burbs, no calls to the radio shows or no features on ESPN.  3rd Ward nets a blowout on a hapless Lee school and it's the topic of the day and the kids are labled thugs and whatnot....
[/quote]

That's BS SFA.   If a "Burb" had beaten someone like this, they would also have been crucified by the media, and rightfully so.  Don't make this racial.  You should know I don't play that game.  Bottom line: they should have gotten out of the full court press.  It was classless, and none of your excuses will change that.
[/quote]

The next time PN-G or Nederland beats Ozen and or Central in baseball by 20 runs, I'll be sure to let you know.  There was no cry about Lake Travis running up the score in football and I have other examples.  Like Carl Dukes pointed out, win Katy blows somebody out in football or Bellaire in baseball, there's no outrage.......
[/quote]

177 points in basketball is no where near equivalent to 20 runs in baseball.  People get beat by 20 runs in baseball quite often.  This would be more like a 50 run beat down in baseball. That is most points ever in basketball for a high school team and I suppose the most lopsided victory as well. Seems quite obvious that some people would think it classless since it is the most humiliating defeat of all time.  I would say the fight that broke out showed that the other team felt quite demoralized.  I think sportsmanship is an important lesson to teach young men in any sport.

[quote name="Gabe" post="739537" timestamp="1262818372"]
I don't like they pressed for so long but if Lee doesn't want to get scored on so much, play better defense. This is almost exactly like a football team scoring 70. Nothing ever gets said about that.
[/quote]

I doubt defense was Lee's problem.  It sounds like getting the ball across half-court was more of the issue.

Guest Two-Dogs...
[quote name="Sloe" post="739636" timestamp="1262833746"]
well they have scored over 100 on some mighty good teams. but my god. if you can not win and show some class. where dose that leave you??????
[/quote]

a:  In a class by yourself!

[quote name="Two-Dogs..." post="739640" timestamp="1262834158"]
[quote author=Sloe link=topic=64409.msg739636#msg739636 date=1262833746]
well they have scored over 100 on some mighty good teams. but my god. if you can not win and show some class. where dose that leave you??????
[/quote]

a:  In a class by yourself!
[/quote]Bingo

[quote name="Cat22" post="739440" timestamp="1262807473"]
Are you saying the coach at OF at this time was an a-hole?  Do you know the situation with this OF/Kountze football game?
[/quote]I played in the same district as Kountze and Orangefield that year.  Kountze was a weak team going years without winning... something like 110 games if I remember correctly.

Regarding Coach Peveto..... he was a rather pompous and arrogant man in many people's opinion.  He was famous for keeping several players behind in 7th grade so they could be older when they are seniors.

[quote name="CrazyLikeThat" post="739597" timestamp="1262828671"]
Carl Dukes (ESPN Radio) interviewed one of Yate's player's father.  I believe his last name is Young and he is an asst coach at UH.  In the third quarter there was a bench clearing brawl in which both teams had their benches ejected from the game and play was halted for 15 minutes.  Mr. Young defended this as something that happens in sports.  Maybe proffessional sports.  I've never seen a bench clearing brawl in High School.  Then he went on to say that Yates only knows one way to play (press all the time) and that these kids need to play like that to show off to the scouts to get into the best colleges.  Seeing as how most of these players will eventually be making a living doing something other than playing basketball, its sad to see that their coach and father won't be contributing to making them better adults.
[/quote]
Not for sure but I believe the Mr. Young you are referring to is Michael Young.  He played at Yates in high school then went to UH as part of Phi Slamma Jamma and played some in the pros (only team I remember was the Celtics).

There are lots of poor and working class immigrants living near Lee High School.   Basketball is not the sport of choice in that area.  it is probably soccer.  It is an old and run down school.  There are some affluent families in that area.  They send their children to expensive private schools.   Yates running up the score on Lee is classless.   That would be like one of the big suburban schools beating Yates by 10 runs in baseball.  It is too easy to do, and therefore not that big a deal.

[quote name="sbparent" post="739686" timestamp="1262838144"]
[quote author=CrazyLikeThat link=topic=64409.msg739597#msg739597 date=1262828671]
Carl Dukes (ESPN Radio) interviewed one of Yate's player's father.  I believe his last name is Young and he is an asst coach at UH.  In the third quarter there was a bench clearing brawl in which both teams had their benches ejected from the game and play was halted for 15 minutes.  Mr. Young defended this as something that happens in sports.  Maybe proffessional sports.  I've never seen a bench clearing brawl in High School.  Then he went on to say that Yates only knows one way to play (press all the time) and that these kids need to play like that to show off to the scouts to get into the best colleges.  Seeing as how most of these players will eventually be making a living doing something other than playing basketball, its sad to see that their coach and father won't be contributing to making them better adults.
[/quote]
Not for sure but I believe the Mr. Young you are referring to is Michael Young.  He played at Yates in high school then went to UH as part of Phi Slamma Jamma and played some in the pros (only team I remember was the Celtics).
[/quote]

I hope Michael Young's son has a  better and more accurate jumpshot than he did.  Back in '83 he could not buy two points.  If he could of hit a few corner jumpers U of H, Phi slamma Jamma, etc, would of beat NC State and won the NCAA championship, and coach Guy V Lewis would be in the basketball hall of fame.

DB

[quote name="CATMAN" post="739600" timestamp="1262829381"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64409.msg739573#msg739573 date=1262824001]
[quote author=palincoln4life link=topic=64409.msg739572#msg739572 date=1262823750]
Also, why all the uproar now. If you have seen Yates play the last three years since Wise has been there you know thats how they play. I have said all along that they may hit 200 points more than once in district because their district is so weak.
[/quote]

What is the point in scoring 200 points unless you need to score that many to win a game?

Like I said, I have no problem with any team scoring 170 points if the game is competitive, say like 170-105 or something like that. But when you are up 100-12 at half, time to rethink on how the rest of the game should be played. Wise needs to be a better man, not necessarily a better coach.
[/quote] AAW he play 13 player the first quater.All 15 the rest of the game.You cant tell a player not to score.
[/quote]

Catman, care to explain why a coach presses while up by 100 points?

Nobody is saying for someone not to score. ::)

[quote name="Sloe" post="739636" timestamp="1262833746"]
[/quote]

playing for a national championship....

.....while limited to playing in the 2nd largest classification in the state......and playing in a VERY weak district. They WILL put 200 on AT LEAST one team in their district. They need the national press. Like Nebraska stomping weak fb teams by 70 points to get the natl championship votes in the pre-bcs days. That's simply the nature of what it takes to win it. They didn't invent this system for winning a natl 'ship. They're just playing by those "rules"

[quote name="Kountzer" post="739687" timestamp="1262838538"]
There are lots of poor and working class immigrants living near Lee High School.   Basketball is not the sport of choice in that area.  it is probably soccer.  It is an old and run down school.  There are some affluent families in that area.  They send their children to expensive private schools.   Yates running up the score on Lee is classless.   That would be like one of the big suburban schools beating Yates by 10 runs in baseball.  It is too easy to do, and therefore not that big a deal.
[/quote]

What does class have to do with basketball?  Nobody cries when teams beat the Jags by 20 goals in soccer or when Lake Travis beats teams 50 to nothing!  I have seen the suburban baseball teams drag these same inner city schools by 20+ runs!  I guess since these are inner city black kids, this big wins is a definition of class?  All these kids play one way, and that is all they know.  A lot of what they do wont even transfer to the college game, but that is what they know.  Even if you back them down to the half court they would swarm and play aggressive!!!

What's classy is how these kids represented themselves in Hawaii and Alabama.  What’s class is how these kids have positioned themselves to attend college academically and financially.  What's classy is how this is the ONLY ranked team with no kid listed in any scouting polls top 100 (first time it has occurred in history of ranking high school players!)  Do me a favor, go sit at one of these high school soccer game and baseball games and call those kids classless too!!! Other than that.. You need to check yourself!

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="739176" timestamp="1262753357"]
[font=Courier]Poppabear, welcome to the world of inner city basketball....They do the same in Dallas.

Coach Greg Wise is a good guy...He told every coach on the schedule this year - No offense but we want to break the all-time scoring record....Well, they are well on their way.

Has nothing to do with class. These are how these kids play basketball. baseline to baseline from start to finish. [/font]
[/quote]

I guess because its inner city it makes it right?  Does the inner city have any class?  By the looks of the Yates coach, I guess not. 

That would be like Kirbyville or Newton scoring 100 on Shelbyville or San Augustine if football.  You can still play the game, let your kids play hard, and prevent embarassing the other team, that is obviously outmanned and outmatched before they step on the field or court.  By this clown pressing, trapping and running full speed the whole game shows he is a self promoting jacka$$ that wants to build himself up, and beef his resume up by making others look bad.  You don't continue to throw fade routes, and run play action when the score is 63-0.  Anyone that defens that has problems.

[quote name="shorttexas1" post="739732" timestamp="1262870574"]
[quote author=Kountzer link=topic=64409.msg739687#msg739687 date=1262838538]
[/quote]

What does class have to do with basketball?  Nobody cries when teams beat the Jags by 20 goals in soccer or when Lake Travis beats teams 50 to nothing!  I have seen the suburban baseball teams drag these same inner city schools by 20+ runs!  I guess since these are inner city black kids, this big wins is a definition of class?  All these kids play one way, and that is all they know.  A lot of what they do wont even transfer to the college game, but that is what they know.  Even if you back them down to the half court they would swarm and play aggressive!!!

What's classy is how these kids represented themselves in Hawaii and Alabama.  What’s class is how these kids have positioned themselves to attend college academically and financially.  What's classy is how this is the ONLY ranked team with no kid listed in any scouting polls top 100 (first time it has occurred in history of ranking high school players!)  Do me a favor, has been go sit at one of these high school soccer game and baseball games and call those kids classless too!!! Other than that.. You need to check yourself!

[/quote]Wow! Well said! This should close this thread now. Wisdom and common sense spoken. ;)

Truly a sad statement, trying the defend the inner city ghetto.  I don't think anyone is attacking the score because it was an inner city school, and for you to bring it up shows the mentality of the inner city.  As long as you use that in your arguement you will always be right, kind-of-thing.  I guess anyone that thinks Coach Wise is classless, and the Yates program is classless is racist, because after all they are the ghetto, and the ghetto's class can't be questioned.

You can defend them and feel sorry for them if you want, I think its a joke.

[quote name="Kountzer" post="739687" timestamp="1262838538"]
There are lots of poor and working class immigrants living near Lee High School.   Basketball is not the sport of choice in that area.  it is probably soccer.  It is an old and run down school.  There are some affluent families in that area.  They send their children to expensive private schools.   Yates running up the score on Lee is classless.   That would be like one of the big suburban schools beating Yates by [s]10[/s] 30 runs in baseball.  It is too easy to do, and therefore not that big a deal.
[/quote]

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="shorttexas1" post="739732" timestamp="1262870574"]
[quote author=Kountzer link=topic=64409.msg739687#msg739687 date=1262838538]
[/quote]

What does class have to do with basketball?  Nobody cries when teams beat the Jags by 20 goals in soccer or when Lake Travis beats teams 50 to nothing!  I have seen the suburban baseball teams drag these same inner city schools by 20+ runs!  I guess since these are inner city black kids, this big wins is a definition of class?  All these kids play one way, and that is all they know.  A lot of what they do wont even transfer to the college game, but that is what they know.  Even if you back them down to the half court they would swarm and play aggressive!!!

What's classy is how these kids represented themselves in Hawaii and Alabama.  What’s class is how these kids have positioned themselves to attend college academically and financially.  What's classy is how this is the ONLY ranked team with no kid listed in any scouting polls top 100 (first time it has occurred in history of ranking high school players!)  Do me a favor, go sit at one of these high school soccer game and baseball games and call those kids classless too!!! Other than that.. You need to check yourself!

[/quote]

Baseball has a "mercy" rule. No baseball coach worth his weight in salt wants to play teams that they can beat by 20+ runs. There are teams in many districts that do not play baseball that well. Those games are usually halted by the "mercy" rule. It prevents these kinds of displays Yates likes to put on. (I can assure you that Bellaire could beat most baseball teams in their district in the same fashion. The RULES prevent that from occuring.)

If a soccer team is scoring 20+ goals in a game, that is classless too.

The bottom line is that Coach Wise COULD have called off the press and worked on a half court offense. He did not! That's what was classless and uncalled for. I have no doubt about the athletic ability and skill of his players. It was just not necessary to beat a team in this manner. Life lesson or not.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder