Houston Yates 170, Houston Lee 35 - Final

cutt

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont have a problem with the score, what I have a problem with is the fact there was a bench clearing brawl. The main concern here is teaching the kids there is no room for this in sports. I understand it happens but what is the consequence of your actions.(Sit in the stands for the rest of the game). UIL needs to step in and make a rule regarding bench clearing brawl. Im sure it had something to do with the score so maybe it is time for some kind of mercy rule. How about a 50 pt margin and the clock runs automatically. No agreement by the coaches just auto rule the clock.
Has nothing to do with inner city or burbs. IF you ever played the game all you want to do is score................ ;D

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="shorttexas1" post="739870" timestamp="1262885990"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64409.msg739858#msg739858 date=1262885281]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=64409.msg739847#msg739847 date=1262884371]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=64409.msg739826#msg739826 date=1262882987]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=64409.msg739732#msg739732 date=1262870574]
[quote author=Kountzer link=topic=64409.msg739687#msg739687 date=1262838538]
There are lots of poor and working class immigrants living near Lee High School.   Basketball is not the sport of choice in that area.  it is probably soccer.  It is an old and run down school.  There are some affluent families in that area.  They send their children to expensive private schools.   Yates running up the score on Lee is classless.   That would be like one of the big suburban schools beating Yates by 10 runs in baseball.  It is too easy to do, and therefore not that big a deal.
[/quote]

What does class have to do with basketball?  Nobody cries when teams beat the Jags by 20 goals in soccer or when Lake Travis beats teams 50 to nothing!  I have seen the suburban baseball teams drag these same inner city schools by 20+ runs!  I guess since these are inner city black kids, this big wins is a definition of class?  All these kids play one way, and that is all they know.  A lot of what they do wont even transfer to the college game, but that is what they know.  Even if you back them down to the half court they would swarm and play aggressive!!!

What's classy is how these kids represented themselves in Hawaii and Alabama.  What’s class is how these kids have positioned themselves to attend college academically and financially.  What's classy is how this is the ONLY ranked team with no kid listed in any scouting polls top 100 (first time it has occurred in history of ranking high school players!)  Do me a favor, go sit at one of these high school soccer game and baseball games and call those kids classless too!!! Other than that.. You need to check yourself!

[/quote]

Short, nobody is calling the kids "classless" or at least I am not. They just played how the coach instructed them to do. Wise on the other hand, that's a different story. He could have done something to keep it from getting like this but he CHOSE to allow it to continue.

I have seen many 60-70 point blowouts, those games just happen. But you'll never convince me that Wise did not go out of his way to get a 135 point win. That score was forced, it didn't just happen that way becasue they were that much better than Lee. They proved that they were better before the game really started. But if you are up 100-12 at half, do you think the game has been decided already? ::)
[/quote]

ok... aLL i AM SAYING IS THAT IT DOESNT MATTER HOW HE RUNS THE SCORE UP.  THIS IS SPORTS, NOT FOR BABIES, IF YOU CANT  STOP ME WHY SHOULD I STOP MYSELF?  THIS IS A BIG BOYS GAME AND I SAY PLAY OR QUIT...  I HAVE SEEN MACK BROWN UP BY 30 RUN A FAKE FIELD GOAL ON RICE AND NOBODY CALLS HIM CLASSLESS!  MIKE LEACH BEATS D2 SCHOOLS BY 70 FAITHFULLY... IS HE CLASSLESS?  HE IS JUST RUNNING "GAME TIME" SCHEMES TO SEE IF THEY WORK, RIGHT! MACK BROWN BEAT TEXAS PAN-AMERICA 104-42 THIS YEAR, IS HE CLASSLESS?  COACH k WHIPPED PENN 116-55, IS HE CLASSLESS?  I AM JUST SAYING THAT THERE ARE SOME DOUBLE STANDARDS! WISE PLAYED ALL OF HIS PLAYERS, JUST LIKE ALL OF THE ABOVE COACHES.  NONE OF THEM CHANGED THE GAME!!! THEY PLAYED AND PLAYED HARD DOWN TO THE 3RD STRING!  tHERE IS ONLY ONE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GREG WISE AND THE ABOVE COACHES!

I DONT CARE WHETHER IT WAS ACADEMICS OR SPORTS, I WANTED TO BE THE BEST AND CREAM THE COMPETITION.. TAKE THEIR HEARTS AND SCARE ANYONE THAT STEPS IN FRONT OF ME IN THE FUTURE!  IF YOU CAN'T FIELD A COMPETITIVE TEAM, THAT IS YOUR OWN PROBLEM.
[/quote]

The main difference is that those guys coach in college. Wise is a high school educator first and then a coach. You are comparing apples and oranges.

(The color of his skin means nothing to me. I assume, that you assume the color of MY skin?)

No coach, at any level, should seek to embarrass their opponent.
[/quote]

i NEVER SAID SKIN COLOR... BUT GOOD OBSERVATION!
[/quote]

My bad. What is the one difference to which you refer then?

[quote name="GCMPats" post="739813" timestamp="1262881580"]
[quote author=homeless link=topic=64409.msg739804#msg739804 date=1262881016]
[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=64409.msg739791#msg739791 date=1262879334] .....This falls on the coach and his lack of class, respect, and sportsmanship.  I've seen numerous articles on rivals, and out of the Houston Chronicle, and this man is all about himself....[/quote]

Interesting assertion BoBo. Since I've met him about 5 or 6 times and never got that impression, I'd like to read some of those articles that clearly show Greg Wise is "all about himself" or his "lack of class, respect and sportsmanship."

Got any cites or links?
[/quote]

"Yates  170 to Lee  35"  end quote

That score says enough about the content of his character for me.
[/quote]

Tells me Lee sucks.  ;)

[quote name="GCMPats" post="739894" timestamp="1262887230"]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=64409.msg739870#msg739870 date=1262885990]
There are lots of poor and working class immigrants living near Lee High School.   Basketball is not the sport of choice in that area.  it is probably soccer.  It is an old and run down school.  There are some affluent families in that area.  They send their children to expensive private schools.   Yates running up the score on Lee is classless.   That would be like one of the big suburban schools beating Yates by 10 runs in baseball.  It is too easy to do, and therefore not that big a deal.
[/quote]

What does class have to do with basketball?  Nobody cries when teams beat the Jags by 20 goals in soccer or when Lake Travis beats teams 50 to nothing!  I have seen the suburban baseball teams drag these same inner city schools by 20+ runs!  I guess since these are inner city black kids, this big wins is a definition of class?  All these kids play one way, and that is all they know.  A lot of what they do wont even transfer to the college game, but that is what they know.  Even if you back them down to the half court they would swarm and play aggressive!!!

What's classy is how these kids represented themselves in Hawaii and Alabama.  What’s class is how these kids have positioned themselves to attend college academically and financially.  What's classy is how this is the ONLY ranked team with no kid listed in any scouting polls top 100 (first time it has occurred in history of ranking high school players!)  Do me a favor, go sit at one of these high school soccer game and baseball games and call those kids classless too!!! Other than that.. You need to check yourself!

[/quote]

Short, nobody is calling the kids "classless" or at least I am not. They just played how the coach instructed them to do. Wise on the other hand, that's a different story. He could have done something to keep it from getting like this but he CHOSE to allow it to continue.

I have seen many 60-70 point blowouts, those games just happen. But you'll never convince me that Wise did not go out of his way to get a 135 point win. That score was forced, it didn't just happen that way becasue they were that much better than Lee. They proved that they were better before the game really started. But if you are up 100-12 at half, do you think the game has been decided already? ::)
[/quote]

ok... aLL i AM SAYING IS THAT IT DOESNT MATTER HOW HE RUNS THE SCORE UP.  THIS IS SPORTS, NOT FOR BABIES, IF YOU CANT  STOP ME WHY SHOULD I STOP MYSELF?  THIS IS A BIG BOYS GAME AND I SAY PLAY OR QUIT...  I HAVE SEEN MACK BROWN UP BY 30 RUN A FAKE FIELD GOAL ON RICE AND NOBODY CALLS HIM CLASSLESS!  MIKE LEACH BEATS D2 SCHOOLS BY 70 FAITHFULLY... IS HE CLASSLESS?  HE IS JUST RUNNING "GAME TIME" SCHEMES TO SEE IF THEY WORK, RIGHT! MACK BROWN BEAT TEXAS PAN-AMERICA 104-42 THIS YEAR, IS HE CLASSLESS?  COACH k WHIPPED PENN 116-55, IS HE CLASSLESS?  I AM JUST SAYING THAT THERE ARE SOME DOUBLE STANDARDS! WISE PLAYED ALL OF HIS PLAYERS, JUST LIKE ALL OF THE ABOVE COACHES.  NONE OF THEM CHANGED THE GAME!!! THEY PLAYED AND PLAYED HARD DOWN TO THE 3RD STRING!  tHERE IS ONLY ONE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GREG WISE AND THE ABOVE COACHES!

I DONT CARE WHETHER IT WAS ACADEMICS OR SPORTS, I WANTED TO BE THE BEST AND CREAM THE COMPETITION.. TAKE THEIR HEARTS AND SCARE ANYONE THAT STEPS IN FRONT OF ME IN THE FUTURE!  IF YOU CAN'T FIELD A COMPETITIVE TEAM, THAT IS YOUR OWN PROBLEM.
[/quote]

The main difference is that those guys coach in college. Wise is a high school educator first and then a coach. You are comparing apples and oranges.

(The color of his skin means nothing to me. I assume, that you assume the color of MY skin?)

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

WISE IS BALD!!!

Those guys are all considered great and Wise is some no-named high school coach...  They are college and Yates is a high school!

But they all do is the SAME... They win and win big!

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="shorttexas1" post="739906" timestamp="1262888495"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64409.msg739894#msg739894 date=1262887230]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

WISE IS BALD!!!

Those guys are all considered great and Wise is some no-named high school coach...  They are college and Yates is a high school!

[/quote]

The he should follow in the footsteps of the other "great" local high school coaches in the Houston area and move his show to the college ranks. Being the outstanding coach that he is, I'm sure he would find the same success at the next level.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="739942" timestamp="1262891085"]
[quote author=shorttexas1 link=topic=64409.msg739906#msg739906 date=1262888495]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64409.msg739894#msg739894 date=1262887230]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

WISE IS BALD!!!

[/quote]

The he should follow in the footsteps of the other "great" local high school coaches in the Houston area and move his show to the college ranks. Being the outstanding coach that he is, I'm sure he would find the same success at the next level.
[/quote]

If the opportunity presents itself, he might! But everybody has to pay their dues and perform with what they do CURRENTLY.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="739987" timestamp="1262894688"]
Don't really matter what you say, the reality of this is that the show goes on. Sit back enjoy or go watch biddy ball.
[/quote]

I would rather watch "biddy ball" than Yates play another lopsided district game. As a matter of fact, I'll be watching the powerhouse 7-8 year old Highlands Rockets on Saturday morning as they take on the Highlands Longhorns. Who knows, I might just press for the ENTIRE game and see if we can get that scoring record ourselves. Gotta teach these boy's 'bout life! Ya heard!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="739928" timestamp="1262890179"]
nEWS fLASH: Jack Yates Senior High will continue to play hard-nose basketball, no matter who walks onto the floor.
[/quote]

I guess somehow you are comparing "hard-nosed", to classless and lack of respect.  Heck of a comparasion and way to coach.

This would be like Southlake Carroll playing Hardin Jefferson in football, being up 56-0 at the half, then come out the 2nd half and throw hail mary's to run up the score.  Then they could defend it by calling it "their style of play," and that they were "only trying to set the scoring record."  Sounds pretty chicken sh!t don't it.  So does this Yates coach and his strategy.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="739813" timestamp="1262881580"]
[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=64409.msg739791#msg739791 date=1262879334] .....This falls on the coach and his lack of class, respect, and sportsmanship.  I've seen numerous articles on rivals, and out of the Houston Chronicle, and this man is all about himself....[/quote]

Interesting assertion BoBo. Since I've met him about 5 or 6 times and never got that impression, I'd like to read some of those articles that clearly show Greg Wise is "all about himself" or his "lack of class, respect and sportsmanship."

Got any cites or links?
[/quote]

"Yates  170 to Lee  35"  end quote

[/quote]

Well well well. It looks like the tide just went out and we can see who's naked. All I asked was to give us all a couple of those "[u][i][b]numerous[/b][/i][/u] articles" and you slink away. and you dare to attack the character of someone else?? Sheesh.

[quote name="homeless" post="740162" timestamp="1262911920"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64409.msg739813#msg739813 date=1262881580]
[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=64409.msg739791#msg739791 date=1262879334] .....This falls on the coach and his lack of class, respect, and sportsmanship.  I've seen numerous articles on rivals, and out of the Houston Chronicle, and this man is all about himself....[/quote]

Got any cites or links?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well well well. It looks like the tide just went out and we can see who's naked. All I asked was to give us all a couple of those "[u][i][b]numerous[/b][/i][/u] articles" and you slink away. and you dare to attack the character of someone else?? Sheesh.
[/quote]

Don't know about the articles, but I still haven't heard a good excuse for the classless behaviour of pressing a team that is down 100.            ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="739826" timestamp="1262882987"] But you'll never convince me that Wise did not go out of his way to get a 135 point win. That score was forced, it didn't just happen that way becasue they were that much better than Lee.
[/quote]

I suspect you are correct. The Lee hard foul (cheap shot) probly resulted in a little more motivation. Not that it mattered much.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="homeless" post="740162" timestamp="1262911920"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=64409.msg739813#msg739813 date=1262881580]

Got any cites or links?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Still here. What you got in the way of "numerous articles" to support this behavior?

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="homeless" post="740172" timestamp="1262912715"]
[i]"Don't know about the articles......."[/i]

apparently, no one knows about those. Do they even exist? Always interesting when calling someone's bluff.
[/quote]

What bluff? Who's bluffing here?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami