Will the announcement in OF cost Hull-Daisetta their starting QB?

HD=1A...enough said. Not the same as 3A and up

i agree with what you say 1A as a whole is not what 3A and up is but i have seen plenty of football all classes and i can tell you that the top 3 or 4 players on a good 1A team are just as good as any 3A, 4A guys. now I'm not saying that about this kid because i have never seen him play but i have seen HD play and year in and year out usually the best player on their team is good enough to play at any 3A school in the state

I have to agree, as a whole most of the 1a kids cant play for a 3a team but the top 2 or3 players on the top 3 teams in this area could play for most 3a teams. Just because they play for a small school does not mean they cant play at the 3a level. Don't forget that Colt McCoy play at a 1a school and this year he should have won the Heistman. don't let the small school keep you from giving the good alethe his due.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you really don't think there is a difference between WOS, Silsbee, Kirbyville (2A/3A) than most 1A schools? I'm not trying to knock 1A schools but less talent comes out because there's less kids that go through. I know Colt is from a 1A and so was Teddy Lehman from OU. All I'm getting at is just because he was a great athlete at H-D does not mean he will walk on and easily be the best athlete at Orangefield. Yes Orangefield didn't have a good year last year. But did they play H-D and how would have H-D done in that district...probably not any better. Come on...if PN-G was 3A last year they were in the playoffs instead of 1-7 (i think) in district. For average teams...there's a big difference from one classification to the next.

So you really don't think there is a difference between WOS, Silsbee, Kirbyville (2A/3A) than most 1A schools? I'm not trying to knock 1A schools but less talent comes out because there's less kids that go through. I know Colt is from a 1A and so was Teddy Lehman from OU. All I'm getting at is just because he was a great athlete at H-D does not mean he will walk on and easily be the best athlete at Orangefield. Yes Orangefield didn't have a good year last year. But did they play H-D and how would have H-D done in that district...probably not any better. Come on...if PN-G was 3A last year they were in the playoffs instead of 1-7 (i think) in district. For average teams...there's a big difference from one classification to the next.

Glad to see you picked the top 3 and 2a teams to compair to. WOS is just under the 4a cap so they have way more kids to pick from.  And I said the top 2 or 3 kids from the top 3 1a teams not most 1a teams. But you said Kirbyville and one of there key players came from Evadale ( Randy M.) Not saying he will be the best athlete in Orangefield, but I do think he will help that program and he will not have any prob. fitting in. And seeing his dad will be calling the plays it helps that he  allready knows that off.

Man, we got off the subject...but it's a good talk.  IMO, I really believe the top 3 to 4 players from the playoff 1A schools could play for larger schools.  Having said that, do I think top 1A teams could beat the top 3A teams, NO.  The reason being the larger schools have more numbers to put quality players in all 11 spots where the resources for the 1A teams is limited.

I've watched a ton of football from 1A to 5A and the good players are good players.  The difference is in a 5A their ALL good and it falls off a little with each classification.

I have no idea how good Huc will be, I've never seen the kid play, but the big kid from HD last year (Cook) could have played for anyone in SE Texas. 

Man, we got off the subject...but it's a good talk.  IMO, I really believe the top 3 to 4 players from the playoff 1A schools could play for larger schools.  Having said that, do I think top 1A teams could beat the top 3A teams, NO.  The reason being the larger schools have more numbers to put quality players in all 11 spots where the resources for the 1A teams is limited.

I've watched a ton of football from 1A to 5A and the good players are good players.  The difference is in a 5A their ALL good and it falls off a little with each classification.

I have no idea how good Huc will be, I've never seen the kid play, but the big kid from HD last year (Cook) could have played for anyone in SE Texas. 

Great post. I agree Aaron Cook could have played for anyone last year. Also this Junior Keith Gilmore is a younger version of Aaron Cook. A complete man beast. Will start at tailback and Middle Linebacker. And the Dempsey kid is huge and strong 6'2 250LBS and will play strong defensive end and fullback. We should bull over everyone in district.The Defense will be hardcore lead by Gilmore and Dempsey !!!

By the way...WOS is not right under the cutoff for 4A. They are in the mid 700's and continue to lose students. I believe BC was bigger than them or pretty close last realignment. They are almost, if not, 200 students under the 4A cutoff.

Sorry if my comment earlier didn't come across how I meant for it to come across. Good players are good players. I do believe there are many 1A and 2A athletes that could play and impact the higher classifications every year. All I'm saying is saying Huckabee will be the best athlete at Orangefield hands down is quit a statement. Maybe he will...maybe he won't. I do not know anything about the kid. I was combatting the fact that someone said the only adjustment he'll have to make is going from a winning team to a losing one. I didn't think that was fair b/c if H-D would have played in Orangefield's district they would have not faired any better. And I know H-D is a much smaller school but that particular poster seemed to just be comparing skill...not size.

Let's cut to the chase. Look buddy,I played Orangefield in the preseason as a member of the Hull-Daisetta Bobcats in the late 90's. They were a bigger school than use, and I remember beating them pretty good. I feel that Evadale and H-D would have beat Orangefield last year. Also Huc is not even the best H-D football player on that team,might be top 3 behind Keith Gilmore and the Dempsey kid. I do think huc will help Orangefield improve on the gridiron and he will be one of their best players. If we sent Gilmore and Dempsey Orangefield would compete for a district title. Let's not forget both WH and Hardin's former QB'S were from H-D. Now this years Hardin QB is from H-D. We know how to grow'em.

By the way...WOS is not right under the cutoff for 4A. They are in the mid 700's and continue to lose students. I believe BC was bigger than them or pretty close last realignment. They are almost, if not, 200 students under the 4A cutoff.

Sorry if my comment earlier didn't come across how I meant for it to come across. Good players are good players. I do believe there are many 1A and 2A athletes that could play and impact the higher classifications every year. All I'm saying is saying Huckabee will be the best athlete at Orangefield hands down is quit a statement. Maybe he will...maybe he won't. I do not know anything about the kid. I was combatting the fact that someone said the only adjustment he'll have to make is going from a winning team to a losing one. I didn't think that was fair b/c if H-D would have played in Orangefield's district they would have not faired any better. And I know H-D is a much smaller school but that particular poster seemed to just be comparing skill...not size.

WO-S is now in the 600's.

Whoa numbers are even lower than I thought. So they are now somewhere near H-F's numbers. And I would say WOS still have a decent team... :)

HD55...I don't know what you are getting so worked up about...but calm down. No one is saying OF has a good football team...but how has HD been doing the last few years. I believe all we are saying is there is a difference between classifications because you just don't have the numbers sometimes. No one is saying HD doesn't have good athletes...they just don't have as many as your higher classifications b/c there's less to choose from. Don't give me this late 90's stuff and try to compare it to today...you know HD was MUCH better then than now.

All I've ever said is it's a little presumptious to say he will be the best athlete at OF. All agree that there are many players at smaller schools that could contribute to other programs that are bigger...but there are also a lot of athletes that contribute at lower schools that couldn't contribute at bigger programs. I think Huc will be good and will contribute. Let's just wait and see before we announce him the best athlete on the team.

Let's cut to the chase. Look buddy,I played Orangefield in the preseason as a member of the Hull-Daisetta Bobcats in the late 90's. They were a bigger school than use, and I remember beating them pretty good. I feel that Evadale and H-D would have beat Orangefield last year. Also Huc is not even the best H-D football player on that team,might be top 3 behind Keith Gilmore and the Dempsey kid. I do think huc will help Orangefield improve on the gridiron and he will be one of their best players. If we sent Gilmore and Dempsey Orangefield would compete for a district title. Let's not forget both WH and Hardin's former QB'S were from H-D. Now this years Hardin QB is from H-D. We know how to grow'em.

actually looking at Orangefields football history of every game they have ever played on KOGT you did not play them once in the 90's but you did play them in 2002 and 2003 witch was a 12-0 loss in 02 and a 36-0 loss in 03 just helping with the facts.  But I do agree that HD has some great athletes and some that Orangefield would love to have. 

Whoa numbers are even lower than I thought. So they are now somewhere near H-F's numbers. And I would say WOS still have a decent team... :)

HD55...I don't know what you are getting so worked up about...but calm down. No one is saying OF has a good football team...but how has HD been doing the last few years. I believe all we are saying is there is a difference between classifications because you just don't have the numbers sometimes. No one is saying HD doesn't have good athletes...they just don't have as many as your higher classifications b/c there's less to choose from. Don't give me this late 90's stuff and try to compare it to today...you know HD was MUCH better then than now.

All I've ever said is it's a little presumptious to say he will be the best athlete at OF. All agree that there are many players at smaller schools that could contribute to other programs that are bigger...but there are also a lot of athletes that contribute at lower schools that couldn't contribute at bigger programs. I think Huc will be good and will contribute. Let's just wait and see before we announce him the best athlete on the team.

I think you're spot on!  Huc may be a good or even a great player at OF, we'll have to wait and see.  I don't remember the kid last year at all, but I'm sure he can play.  55 gets a little steamy in his HD posts, but he just loves his team...his posts actually helped Evadale last year as they were good locker room material...no way were the Rebs gonna let 55 and his oversized predictions be right.  

Anyway, back to the subject, agree with you on this one, Huc will be used and may be the starter, let's wait and see if he's the best player at  OF.

actually looking at Orangefields football history of every game they have ever played on KOGT you did not play them once in the 90's but you did play them in 2002 and 2003 witch was a 12-0 loss in 02 and a 36-0 loss in 03 just helping with the facts.  But I do agree that HD has some great athletes and some that Orangefield would love to have.  

Just curious, when did Evadale last ply OF?  It seems like maybe 2000 and 2001, or maybe 98/99, the scores you have for HD and OF also seem to be about what the scores were between Evadale and OF...the game at OF was less than two TD's and the next year at Evadale it was OF pretty convincingly.   Just curious...

actually looking at Orangefields football history of every game they have ever played on KOGT you did not play them once in the 90's but you did play them in 2002 and 2003 witch was a 12-0 loss in 02 and a 36-0 loss in 03 just helping with the facts.  But I do agree that HD has some great athletes and some that Orangefield would love to have.  

Just curious, when did Evadale last ply OF?  It seems like maybe 2000 and 2001, or maybe 98/99, the scores you have for HD and OF also seem to be about what the scores were between Evadale and OF...the game at OF was less than two TD's and the next year at Evadale it was OF pretty convincingly.   Just curious...

In 98 Orangefield won 47-8

In 99 Orangefield won 34-14

In 2002 Orangefield beat HD 20-0

In 2003 Orangefield beat HD 26-0

Guest bleed orange

Those were jv games and the scores are wrong.

I agree, I thought we gave em all they wanted at OF and they beat us a little worse at our place the next year.  I'll see what I can come up with...maybe he's right but I don't think so.

That score is correct and yes Evadale did give Orangefield all they could handle for a half at Orangefield. I was at the game. I admired the way Evadale played but they got tired in the second half. Those scores are the same in the Setxsports archives also. Hull Daisetta and Orangefield were in the same district back in the 60's and 70's . Hull Daisetta had the upper hand. Overall record is 11-6-3 in favor of Hull Daisetta. From 84 on up Orangefield had the upper hand going 3-0-1. I remember a kid from HD who was a man child. His name was Parnell Lykes I believe.

As a member of the H-D both of those years I know both scores are right,in '02 the game was a defensive struggle with them scoring on their opening drives of both halfs. Then my senior year (03 FB season) it was much of the same until the end of the first half when modica/farvas(sp?) burnt one of our db's deep, then like 3 turnovers for OF td's...they had a good program that went a few rounds deep  both years.

Very BOLD statement there. ;)

I doubt Orangefield would compete for the district title this year with just the addition of two players from a 1A school. Silsbee and WOS both have very good teams coming back for this year, particularly the Mustangs. Based on last year's results against Orangefield, I don' think just those two players would put them on the same level as the Tigers and the Stangs.

And for the guy comparing the HD vs OF scores and the Evadale vs OF scores in those years, I ask why? Because if you are trying to compare that to get an idea of what the head-to-head would've been you should've went to the scrimmage between HD and evadale in '02 when we beat them in evadale by like 4 td's and coach barbay still made us run sprints for not winning bad enough, too bad we didn't get to play a real game against them.

Those were jv games and the scores are wrong.

I agree, I thought we gave em all they wanted at OF and they beat us a little worse at our place the next year.  I'll see what I can come up with...maybe he's right but I don't think so.

That score is correct and yes Evadale did give Orangefield all they could handle for a half at Orangefield. I was at the game. I admired the way Evadale played but they got tired in the second half. Those scores are the same in the Setxsports archives also. Hull Daisetta and Orangefield were in the same district back in the 60's and 70's . Hull Daisetta had the upper hand. Overall record is 11-6-3 in favor of Hull Daisetta. From 84 on up Orangefield had the upper hand going 3-0-1. I remember a kid from HD who was a man child. His name was Parnell Lykes I believe.

You're spot on...Lykes was a truck, a fast truck.  I played against him in '81, I think, maybe '80.  Hull had alot of talent but he was a one-man-band.  He went on to play of Lamar.  His younger brother Arnell wasn't bad either.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder