Predictions For 20-4A This Year?

X

Who do you think will be the #1 team in 20-4A?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be the #1 team in 20-4A?

• Central
    • Livingston
    • Vidor
    • Nederland
    • LCM
    • PNG
    • Ozen
    • Lumberton

ive been reading this a few mins now and every post has ozen ranked really low....I was just wanting to know why everyone is counting this team out ....from seeing them in their spring game they seem to be on course to have a pretty good year...of course they lost a few big named players but they seem to have a solid group of kids....and i hear nelson is doing great in keeping them disciplined and motivated

I think the reason most are counting them out is the same some are discounting Vidor. I don't think it is right but a lot predict the future on the results of your past. I guess for some folks , respect must be earned.Lumberton went through it a couple years ago, they won week after week while evryone doubted them every week.The worst case I have seen for this was Nederland during the mid 90's. They couldn't get the respect they deserved.It took a couple years of winning before our local media gave them the respect that they had more than earned. You will just have to prove them wrong week after week to be taken seriously by some.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been reading this a few mins now and every post has ozen ranked really low....I was just wanting to know why everyone is counting this team out ....from seeing them in their spring game they seem to be on course to have a pretty good year...of course they lost a few big named players but they seem to have a solid group of kids....and i hear nelson is doing great in keeping them disciplined and motivated

I think Ozen is going to be a solid team. When we were doing our predictions, I ranked them as fifth in our district over Lumberton, Livingston, and LC-M. I figure that Ozen will give a solid performance this year but won't make the playoffs because I think that Ozen still has to build a program and that's hard to do in a district like BISD.

I think the reason most are counting them out is the same some are discounting Vidor. I don't think it is right but a lot predict the future on the results of your past. I guess for some folks , respect must be earned.Lumberton went through it a couple years ago, they won week after week while evryone doubted them every week.The worst case I have seen for this was Nederland during the mid 90's. They couldn't get the respect they deserved.It took a couple years of winning before our local media gave them the respect that they had more than earned. You will just have to prove them wrong week after week to be taken seriously by some.

We won a district title.  We make the playoffs often.  We make a 4 round run in the playoffs and we still don't get respect.  You have to look at who these teams are trying to earn respect from.  Fact is that most of the local media is MC fans and will show respect to them most of the time. 

People fail to realize that Ozen up until 2005 was an elite team.  Which tell me that the fans that don't respect Ozen at all are obviously younger fans or didn't follow HS football untill recently. 

Ozen was in the old 19-4A for the first for years I think, which was a weak district. They had a lot of trouble when they got to 20-4A at first but they have had a couple of goods years in this district.

I think Ozen is going to be a solid team. When we were doing our predictions, I ranked them as fifth in our district over Lumberton, Livingston, and LC-M. I figure that Ozen will give a solid performance this year but won't make the playoffs because I think that Ozen still has to build a program and that's hard to do in a district like BISD.

Why is it hard to build a program in BISD?  West Brook already have a program.  I want to hear this explaination...

Guest tigersvoice

I don't have an opinion on Ozen this year one way or the other.  I remember them in the district with Silsbee and they were TUFF (or tough, if you prefer).  I don't think Silsbee ever beat them in football.  But, I really wouldn't put a lot of stock in an end of spring training football game.  It's just intra-squad game.  You are playing the people that you have been pushing around for three weeks.  You better wait and see them play SOMEBODY before you bet

the farm.

Ozen was in the old 19-4A for the first for years I think, which was a weak district. They had a lot of trouble when they got to 20-4A at first but they have had a couple of goods years in this district.

Ozen was in 19-4a in that quote weak district in 98, and 99.

In 98 dayton beat nederland and killed PNG in the 1st round.  Wasnt to weak in 98.  2 of the weak teams in 19-4a beat 2 of the teams in the mighty 20-4a

99 was a down year for the district i will give you that

Why is it hard to build a program in BISD?  West Brook already have a program.  I want to hear this explaination...

Because Beaumont Middle Schools feed to different High Schools. Some kids at SFA will go to WB, some to Ozen, and some to Central and so on with the other middle schools. So the coaches at these schools are not instructed by the Head Coach at the HS. That puts the HC's at a dissadvantage. I think this is one of the reasons that the bigger ISD's like Houston and Dallas don't have the powerhouse teams anymore. Even Katy and Plano still have boundries for their feeder schools.

Just a thought (and an observation from a BMT coach).

Because Beaumont Middle Schools feed to different High Schools. Some kids at SFA will go to WB, some to Ozen, and some to Central and so on with the other middle schools. So the coaches at these schools are not instructed by the Head Coach at the HS. That puts the HC's at a dissadvantage. I think this is one of the reasons that the bigger ISD's like Houston and Dallas don't have the powerhouse teams anymore. Even Katy and Plano still have boundries for their feeder schools.

I guess that explain it better.  Although I think the guy that origionally brought it up was getting at something else...  My Question about Brook still was not answered...

I guess that explain it better.  Although I think the guy that origionally brought it up was getting at something else...  My Question about Brook still was not answered...

Actually, that's exactly what I was going to say. I just didn't see your post and badndn beat me to it.

I think if Stump could conrtol his feeder school coaches and players, they would be vying for state titles instead of district runners up each year! Stump does a great job with what he has, but I think WB will continue to struggle beyond Bi-district because of some of the restrictions of the BISD. Just an opinion.

I think if Stump could conrtol his feeder school coaches and players, they would be vying for state titles instead of district runners up each year! Stump does a great job with what he has, but I think WB will continue to struggle beyond Bi-district because of some of the restrictions of the BISD. Just an opinion.

The Beaumont coaches have a struggle no matter what. I honestly believe that Central's run at the playoffs last year was a lucky streak, and what I mean by that is that they had the right combination of players and coaching, but such a combination is rare in a district like BISD. The fact that they had that combination last year was a stroke of good luck, a rare one at that. Every now and then, Ozen, Central, and Westbrook will have one or two consecutive playoff runs, but, because of the structure of the district, won't be able to sustain long term results.

Long term results?  The only way you will win every year is to have the biggest school in the district every year.  I mean, with all the tradition, and their feeder schools, where has PNG been the last 10 years?  I'm just saying, it's not limited to Beaumont.  Nearly everyone has ups and downs

Long term results?  The only way you will win every year is to have the biggest school in the district every year.   I mean, with all the tradition, and their feeder schools, where has PNG been the last 10 years?   I'm just saying, it's not limited to Beaumont.   Nearly everyone has ups and downs

I disagree on the biggest school idea. WOS was the smallest in our district for years. Since their departure to 3A

(WOS) Nederland has been the most consistent team in our district and even though it is a good size school, it is not the largest.

Nederland has a nice program right now.  However, the historical information on this site says they have finished 1st once between 1996-2006.    If they were much larger than their competitors(think North Shore) their record would be more impressive.  That's all I'm saying.

You will have up and down years unless you are bigger than most of your opponents.  WOS is obviously a great program. I am sure there are other exceptions across the state, as well.   But even mighty WOS had four 4th place finishes in the 5 years before they dropped to 3A.

Nederland has a nice program right now.  However, the historical information on this site says they have finished 1st once between 1996-2006.    If they were much larger than their competitors(think North Shore) their record would be more impressive.  That's all I'm saying.

You will have up and down years unless you are bigger than most of your opponents.  WOS is obviously a great program. I am sure there are other exceptions across the state, as well.   

WOS is definitely an exception to the rule.

The Beaumont coaches have a struggle no matter what. I honestly believe that Central's run at the playoffs last year was a lucky streak, and what I mean by that is that they had the right combination of players and coaching, but such a combination is rare in a district like BISD. The fact that they had that combination last year was a stroke of good luck, a rare one at that. Every now and then, Ozen, Central, and Westbrook will have one or two consecutive playoff runs, but, because of the structure of the district, won't be able to sustain long term results.

You need a tiny big of  luck along the way for any kind of state or long playoff run.  This goes for all teams in all classifications that  have deep runs.  I'm not buying most of what you're saying.  Especially about your 'lucky streak' comment. 

Nederland has a nice program right now.  However, the historical information on this site says they have finished 1st once between 1996-2006.    If they were much larger than their competitors(think North Shore) their record would be more impressive.  That's all I'm saying.

You will have up and down years unless you are bigger than most of your opponents.  WOS is obviously a great program. I am sure there are other exceptions across the state, as well.   But even mighty WOS had four 4th place finishes in the 5 years before they dropped to 3A.

While size offers an advantage, it isn't everything. The program, the kids, and the coaching are what make up a good football team. Because of the structure of BISD, it's hard to put together a program and it's even harder to predict which kids each high school will get.

And PN-G's problem was its program for all those years.

You need a tiny big of  luck along the way for any kind of state or long playoff run.  This goes for all teams in all classifications that  have deep runs.  I'm not buying most of what you're saying.  Especially about your 'lucky streak' comment. 

I suppose I should be more clear. It's not that Central got to the playoffs and made that run on luck alone. It had the two of the big three components: kids and coaching. It was lacking in the program sector, which is understandable because of BISD's structure. When you've only got two of the three needed components, you'll have some success, but it'll be hard to sustain that success from year to year. Central won't be able to sustain its success over the years without a program, and you can't really build a program in a district like BISD. It'll have some spurts here and there, but no solid, sustained success. The same goes for Ozen and Westbrook.

While size offers an advantage, it isn't everything. The program, the kids, and the coaching are what make up a good football team. Because of the structure of BISD, it's hard to put together a program and it's even harder to predict which kids each high school will get.

I suppose I should be more clear. It's not that Central got to the playoffs and made that run on luck alone. It had the two of the big three components: kids and coaching. It was lacking in the program sector, which is understandable because of BISD's structure. When you've only got two of the three needed components, you'll have some success, but it'll be hard to sustain that success from year to year. Central won't be able to sustain its success over the years without a program, and you can't really build a program in a district like BISD. It'll have some spurts here and there, but no solid, sustained success. The same goes for Ozen and Westbrook.

BISD's structure.  Success here and there.  Spurts.  I think you have listen to some older guys (who knows nothing) to come up with this.  If Central or any BISD school is a hit an miss deal, then what the heck is PN-G?  They appear to be the same way.  They had a brilliant '99 season with Long at the helm and made it to state.  Since then, what have they done playoff wise?  I remember.  They lost to the eventual state champions (Lamar Consolidated) a few years ago.  So I guess it's safe to question PN-G's 'structure' and say that they are less than a hit and miss and only do good in 'spurts'. 

West Brook has always gotten the football players and Central got the basketball players. Now with Ozen in the mix it has spread them out further. When I was playing football in the early 90's we would get kids from Central transfer for football and then go back to Central for basketball. I don't know that still happens, but it use to. I remember at Vincent middle school, due to the ping pong ball half of us were going to WB and the other half to Central the next year. We still kicked butt at the high school level, although we weren't running the HS plays at middle school. I think it's just like the majority of HS across Texas, you have a talented group come through and then a not so talented group. You have kids that have talent that quit along the way for whatever reason, not making the grades, trouble, etc..  Beaumont should've kept two high schools or opened a fourth school and dropped all of them to 4A to help on travel cost and be more competative at the 4A level. My two cents

BISD's structure.  Success here and there.  Spurts.  I think you have listen to some older guys (who knows nothing) to come up with this.  If Central or any BISD school is a hit an miss deal, then what the heck is PN-G?  They appear to be the same way.  They had a brilliant '99 season with Long at the helm and made it to state.  Since then, what have they done playoff wise?  I remember.  They lost to the eventual state champions (Lamar Consolidated) a few years ago.  So I guess it's safe to question PN-G's 'structure' and say that they are less than a hit and miss and only do good in 'spurts'. 

PN-G's problem was its program. Much like Central, Ozen, and Westbrook, PN-G had a good coaching staff and good kids, but a bad program. Much like Central, Ozen, and Westbrook, the combination of the first two components provided for some spurts (which depended more on the kids our team had from year to year than anything else, just like Ozen, Westbrook, and Central), but the lack of the third component made sustained success (meaning success for more than two consecutive seasons) virtually impossible.

The difference here is that PN-G has more potential for a program because, unlike Central, Ozen, and Westbrook, the coaches at PN-G know exactly who is coming up the ranks and their strengths and weaknesses as far out as 2-5 years before those players are on the varsity team, not counting any work that is done in football prior to the athlete's 7th grade year. That one difference is what makes us better-suited to create a program, which is what Coach Faircloth and his team are doing.

Central, Ozen, and Westbrook coaches have virtually no idea who they will be putting on varsity until the freshman year of the potential varsity player. This fact is what makes building a football program (or a program for any sport, for that matter) in BISD much more difficult than building a program in a district where each child's high school is picked the day said child enters kindergarten, such as PN-G or Nederland.

It's not that creating a program is impossible, but rather that it is easier to do and has a better chance of success in a single-high school district than in a district where there are multiple high schools and each child doesn't know what high school said child will be attending until the end of said child's eighth grade year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder