Another Smart Move (Yea) By The WOS School Board

Guest wos grad

Its the parents responsibility, I don't care where you are from.!!!! 

I worked retail all my life and worked a lot of nights. This was OK in a two parent family. When I got divorced, I took a significant pay cut and got a Monday - Friday job. I also got joint custody and my son lives with me 50% of the time. I now bring him to all his practices(plays 3 sports) and pick him up everyday after school. He's also my fishin buddy! With the decrease in my salary, we cant do as much but I'm with him all the time. My house is up for sale so I can buy a smaller one that I can afford.

I bring this up not to be "super dad", but to show that people can do whatever they want if their priorities are right. I'm sure most parents(even single parents like me) could find a way to get their kids to practice, if that's the priority!

One thing I would like to point out is that alot of "single parent" families are composed of MOTHERS and KIDS,  no all are fortunate enough to still have a DAD involved.  I say this because alot of the single parent families we are discussing are WOMEN and economics tell us that a women considered "uneducated" and I mean without college degrees cannot find these 8-5 M-F jobs and make enough to much less pay the rent.  I say if the parents of the students want to have this service provided, then offer it as a fare.  This way the district will not be expected to cover the cost, which TEA is pushing limits the district can spend outside the classroom, and the parents will not have to worry about their kids getting home safely!  The most important thing we have is the safety of our kids!!!

Well, without trying to put my personal life on a stage, I am a college drop out! I do not have a college education. I worked hard, worked long hours and set goals for myself. The older I got, the more serious I got. I'm not Einstein, if I can do it, anyone can! I think it's extremely sad to see "single parent" families struggle. I just hope these parents are not using the school district as a babysitter, expecting pick up and delivery. My ex-wife could really care less about football or any sport, but she is there every practice supporting her kid!  Probably the only thing we agreed on  ;) ;) 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the parents responsibility, I don't care where you are from.!!!! 

I worked retail all my life and worked a lot of nights. This was OK in a two parent family. When I got divorced, I took a significant pay cut and got a Monday - Friday job. I also got joint custody and my son lives with me 50% of the time. I now bring him to all his practices(plays 3 sports) and pick him up everyday after school. He's also my fishin buddy! With the decrease in my salary, we cant do as much but I'm with him all the time. My house is up for sale so I can buy a smaller one that I can afford.

I bring this up not to be "super dad", but to show that people can do whatever they want if their priorities are right. I'm sure most parents(even single parents like me) could find a way to get their kids to practice, if that's the priority!

One thing I would like to point out is that alot of "single parent" families are composed of MOTHERS and KIDS,  no all are fortunate enough to still have a DAD involved.  I say this because alot of the single parent families we are discussing are WOMEN and economics tell us that a women considered "uneducated" and I mean without college degrees cannot find these 8-5 M-F jobs and make enough to much less pay the rent.  I say if the parents of the students want to have this service provided, then offer it as a fare.  This way the district will not be expected to cover the cost, which TEA is pushing limits the district can spend outside the classroom, and the parents will not have to worry about their kids getting home safely!  The most important thing we have is the safety of our kids!!!

Well, without trying to put my personal life on a stage, I am a college drop out! I do not have a college education. I worked hard, worked long hours and set goals for myself. The older I got, the more serious I got. I'm not Einstein, if I can do it, anyone can! I think it's extremely sad to see "single parent" families struggle. I just hope these parents are not using the school district as a babysitter, expecting pick up and delivery. My ex-wife could really care less about football or any sport, but she is there every practice supporting her kid!  Probably the only thing we agreed on  ;) ;) 

Well said, great posting -----thetragichippy

Look everyone's situation is different.  I'll offer this from a purely economic standpoint.

We know a few things about the demographics of WO-CCISD.  This is not a tax-rich district.  I don't know it for fact, but I am betting the district gets state funds to make up a difference on the Guaranteed Yield.  (If I am wrong in this assumption I apologzie, feel free to correct my ignorance.) There are many low-income households populating the school.

We also know that particular demographic (low income) tends to have high drop-out rates.  If the argument that atheltics are the only thing keeping some low-income kids, who would not be able to participate without this service, is true..then it wouldnt take many to lose >$25K in state funding with the enrollment loss (depending on how big the tax income deficit is that could be as low as 2-3 kids) since that is based on enrollment.

Now, granted, much of what I just typed is "what-if".  It is however not an unlikely stretch.  My point here is not to condemn either side of the argument, but to point out the issue may well be more complex than "Cut it and save $25K." Sure you reduce expense, but if doing so you reduce income...well the law of unintended consquences could well make that a decision that will net the district LESS money.

Ok guys let’s get some prospective on this.  The WOC district has been providing bus service for kids in extra-curricular activities since as far back as 1971.  This service was open to anyone who participated in after school programs, (I know because I was at West Orange high school when the service began).  I assume this policy has not changed until this new policy was announced.  I no longer live in Orange, (about 800 miles away), and haven’t for about 25 years but I still keep close ties there.  I don’t care what district you live in, if a standard practice is changed after 35+ years I am sure a lot of you would not be happy about it.  So for all you out there that think this is something WOS did just to cater to its athletes, your wrong.  It was something put into place before a lot of you were on this earth.  I am not arguing the merits of this practice or against it, just pointing out that some of you need to engage in a little fact finding before jumping to conclusions.

I know guys with 30 years service that have been laid off at different plants. My point is economics, nobody likes these situations but they happen every day due to economics and this is just one more luxury that will be lost due to the hard times.  So just because its been done for so long dont mean it can continue.

I know guys with 30 years service that have been laid off at different plants. My point is economics, nobody likes these situations but they happen every day due to economics and this is just one more luxury that will be lost due to the hard times.  So just because its been done for so long dont mean it can continue.

This is so right. When you make financial cuts, convenience usually is the first to go.

Guest jackbquick

is wo-s the only open campus in orange county :o i did not know this

I don't know if there are any other schools in Orange County, but the reason they are an open campus is because their state testing scores are so low, not a good thing imo.

77 you are correct, it is about economics and things do change, that's life.  Just pointing out this wasn't a program designed to cater to WOS athletes as some have implied.  The bus program pre-dates WOS.

But some on this forum are trying to imply that the buses run for all extra curricular activities at WOS. Its my understanding and when talking to academic parents at WOS, only athletics have this luxury.  Which is it Academic Activities or just Athletics or all.

Need $35,00 a year for transportation?  I got an idea...How about the  10 top paid folks in the WOS district show what they are made of, step up and each contribute a measly $3,500 a year to ensure that these students athletes can continue thier education/athletics and let them become productive members of society.  I'm sure the paltry sum of $3,500 per year is a spit in the bucket for a school district administrator...think of the benefits it would have to the kids involved. It would also serve as proof that these folks are truly interested in their students and keep the parents as well as the kids happy (not the mention the good public relations!!).

Take that suggestion to the board WOS people.   ;)

Look everyone's situation is different.  I'll offer this from a purely economic standpoint.

We know a few things about the demographics of WO-CCISD.  This is not a tax-rich district.  I don't know it for fact, but I am betting the district gets state funds to make up a difference on the Guaranteed Yield.  (If I am wrong in this assumption I apologzie, feel free to correct my ignorance.) There are many low-income households populating the school.

We also know that particular demographic (low income) tends to have high drop-out rates.  If the argument that atheltics are the only thing keeping some low-income kids, who would not be able to participate without this service, is true..then it wouldnt take many to lose >$25K in state funding with the enrollment loss (depending on how big the tax income deficit is that could be as low as 2-3 kids) since that is based on enrollment.

Now, granted, much of what I just typed is "what-if".  It is however not an unlikely stretch.  My point here is not to condemn either side of the argument, but to point out the issue may well be more complex than "Cut it and save $25K." Sure you reduce expense, but if doing so you reduce income...well the law of unintended consquences could well make that a decision that will net the district LESS money.

I know they have several LARGE refineries in their backyard that I'm sure donate to the school..right? You have Dupont and Firestone (I know these for sure) I know a couple of more are there but cant remember the name. I cant imagine this school being any poorer than ours. We dont have near the support WOS does. I guess what I'm trying to say is WOS is by no means the poorest in the area!

No bid process. Called one company and left it at that. I'm not a board member and really don't want to be one. However, if I were I would have to put a little more effort in it than that. Just as they didn't know what the real number was on the busing. I think the number is important. They could actually end up losing money rather than saving money if kids drop out.

Are you referring to you or the school district?  If the school district did that then they are violating the TEA rules.

Ok..I really dont get why WOS has to have buses to bring kids home after athletic practice. I have never heard of this. I'm not sure how many other schools do it, but I think its rediculous! My parents struggled when I was growing up and I even went through a period where it was just me and my mother, and I still managed to make it to all my practices and make it home! If these kids really want to play then they will find a way..but paying for buses to run after they have already dropped kids off after school and then turn around and come pick up athletes and drop them off too...is just retarded imo! We have disadvantaged kids here and everywhere for that matter and they dont have this privilige but they still seem to make it home!

And if WOS does take it away and these so called kids you all are talking about DO drop out..that will be just an excuse. As for as I'm concerned..those are the kids that have NO HEART, NO DETERMINATION AND NO AMBITION!!! JMO!!!

Guest wos grad

Because it's something that the School has provided for Years that's why!!!! It's been explained in this thread a million times why. Hopefully when they re vote on it it will go the right way.

You guys are still asking for handouts........refineries, board members, etc.....  No one has made any suggestion about a parent meeting!  Why not a parent meeting?  After all, who is ultimately responsible for getting their kids to practice? I never road the bus, I car pooled until high school.  Parents can come together and make this work. I hope the parents just don't sit there and expect the school district to take care of their kids.

As for economics, my son wants a dirt bike................he's not getting one (too expensive this year).  However, I may look throughout the year and find him a "USED" one or a "fixer upper".  That's called adjusting in our economics that we have going right now.

We actually are a tax rich district. We have to give money away (robinhood) every year. The money comes from industry though.

I don't know if there are any other schools in Orange County, but the reason they are an open campus is because their state testing scores are so low, not a good thing imo.

There are 4 other districts in Orange County!

Ok..I really dont get why WOS has to have buses to bring kids home after athletic practice. I have never heard of this. I'm not sure how many other schools do it, but I think its rediculous! My parents struggled when I was growing up and I even went through a period where it was just me and my mother, and I still managed to make it to all my practices and make it home! If these kids really want to play then they will find a way..but paying for buses to run after they have already dropped kids off after school and then turn around and come pick up athletes and drop them off too...is just retarded imo! We have disadvantaged kids here and everywhere for that matter and they dont have this privilige but they still seem to make it home!

And if WOS does take it away and these so called kids you all are talking about DO drop out..that will be just an excuse. As for as I'm concerned..those are the kids that have NO HEART, NO DETERMINATION AND NO AMBITION!!! JMO!!!

Pretty much sums  it up.

We actually are a tax rich district. We have to give money away (robinhood) every year. The money comes from industry though.

Thank you td for being accurate about the tax base...I was trying to stay out of this since I don't live in the district. 

One possible solution would be for the community of WO-S to find this issue SO important that they would be willing to vote for a tax hike to fund the buses.  ???

One of the really bad things about the weak economy and the hurricane damage to the plants is that it won't be long before the plants start asking for tax cuts and lower the value of their property.  That will add up to more tough decisions.

Guest jackbquick

There are 4 other districts in Orange County!

Ok my mistake, didn't make it clear enough. Thanks for making that clear td, noticed you do like to find errors in peoples posts and point them out. I meant don't know if there are any other schools in Orange county that are also open campuses.

Guest jackbquick

Great post and I think you do speak for alot of people in what you are saying that if you want to be there bad enough you will find a way. Friends and parents should come together and make this work if everone else in this area can make it work at their school districts.

Guest jackbquick

Orange County Schools

Public Schools: Bridge City, Vidor, Little Cypress Mauriceville, Orangefield and West Orange Stark

Private School: Community Christian

So looks like WOS is the only open campus in Orange County since all of the other campuses to the best of my knowledge have scores good enough to keep them out of that bracket. Thanks for the info.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder