Another Smart Move (Yea) By The WOS School Board

Guest wos grad

Guest stircrazy

Since WOS is in the playoffs EVERY YEAR wouldn't the extra money they make off of FB games pay for the bus trips. I think the 35,000 figure is a little high . However if the board will not reconsider then Coach Hooks will find a way for something to be done for ALL the athletes at WOS not just the FB players. I am sure that the coaches ,parents and players will come up with a solution that will keep these kids in school . I for one pay taxes every year to WOSISD and have never had a kid at the school. I get no vote for board postions because I do not live in the district yet my school taxes are close to 4000.00 per year. I pick my kids up from there activities which can be bad for me at times but I still do it. I know some of the kids at WOS will have to carpool with friends to get home but this will only make them a stronger team . I also know that both gas and diesel are both cheaper right now so maybe they reconsider or find a way to fix this problem created by the politics at WOS. Good luck Coaches.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ECBucFan

Rationalizations, rationalizations, everywhere! The EC district is about as "poor" as WOS and Newton, but doesn't give special athletic rides that I know of... and EC made playoffs 13 years straight... Its not "apples and oranges" at all.

My children have participated in UIL academic competitions (number sense, persuasive speaking, etc.) for years, and are required to practice and attend after school hours, and not once, ever, has a "special ride" to and from been expected or desired. So, why should ATHLETES be catered to? Does WOS & Newton furnish rides for their academic competitors?? No? Then why not?!?  

Since WOS is in the playoffs EVERY YEAR wouldn't the extra money they make off of FB games pay for the bus trips. I think the 35,000 figure is a little high . However if the board will not reconsider then Coach Hooks will find a way for something to be done for ALL the athletes at WOS not just the FB players. I am sure that the coaches ,parents and players will come up with a solution that will keep these kids in school . I for one pay taxes every year to WOSISD and have never had a kid at the school. I get no vote for board postions because I do not live in the district yet my school taxes are close to 4000.00 per year. I pick my kids up from there activities which can be bad for me at times but I still do it. I know some of the kids at WOS will have to carpool with friends to get home but this will only make them a stronger team . I also know that both gas and diesel are both cheaper right now so maybe they reconsider or find a way to fix this problem created by the politics at WOS. Good luck Coaches.

Why do you pay school taxes but dont get to vote for school board?

Rationalizations, rationalizations, everywhere! The EC district is about as "poor" as WOS and Newton, but doesn't give special athletic rides that I know of... and EC made playoffs 13 years straight... Its not "apples and oranges" at all.

My children have participated in UIL academic competitions (number sense, persuasive speaking, etc.) for years, and are required to practice and attend after school hours, and not once, ever, has a "special ride" to and from been expected or desired. So, why should ATHLETES be catered to? Does WOS & Newton furnish rides for their academic competitors?? No? Then why not?!?  

WOS does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apples and Oranges....

Silsbee: Economically Disadvantaged- 43%

At Risk- 41%

African American- 18%

White- 77%

East Chambers: Economically Disadvantaged - 47%

At Risk - 45%

African American - 10.7%

White - 65%

WO-S: Economically Disadvantaged - 78%  

At Risk - 59%

African American - 65%

White - 27%

You cannot compare these districts. The bus service is something that has been provided of decades, not just to sports but to other extra-curricular activities as well.

Guest ECBucFan

WO-S: Economically Disadvantaged - 78%  

At Risk - 59%

African American - 65%

White - 27%

All the MORE reason for WOS to emphasize acedemics OVER athletics! Thanks for pointing that out! 

It's apparent that many people are unhappy about the board making a budget cut, but it should not be a big deal.  The district is not very large, and many students could possibly receive rides from their teammates or their teammates' parents.  The school has to work within their means regardless if there was a previous mismanagement of funds.  It may not be very fair for the kids, but everybody in this matter has to be very resilient if we want to come out ahead on the otherside of this issue.  If that does not make anybody happy, then propose a new requirement for school board members:  They need to be educated.  

I can understand both sides of this argument. The board voted 6-1, which tells me they must have polled their constitutes.

We know the scores of the students have been a challenge and this is with a ride home for academics an athletes. Do we see the scores in the future having an impact down the road in a more negative way?

Cowboy,

Your missing the point. Yes there MAY be a handful of VARSITY players with a car, but not enough to get their teammates home. What about the Freshman and JV who cannot even drive. And the whole reason the transportation is provided is because the parents, or any most cases parent is not there to pick their child up. Once again don't punish the kid for the mistakes of the adult.

I can understand both sides of this argument. The board voted 6-1, which tells me they must have polled their constitutes.

We know the scores of the students have been a challenge and this is with a ride home for academics an athletes. Do we see the scores having in the future having an impact down the road in a more negative way?

First let me say they did not poll their constituents. Nor did they talk to the athletic department. The $35,000 figure that they were using was questioned last night and the way they answered was "we just got these figures today". They didn't even know what it was costing and they voted to drop it. You tell me how much sense that makes. This is not hear say I was there. They couldn't dispute the number that was given to them because they had no idea what the true cost was. Coach said about $9500. We get $4800 per child. If we lose 2 kids because of this it's a break even. If we lose 3 we are losing money. The numbers don't appear to be looked at or not closely at all. For example the Dan R. Hooks sign that they said they were going to repair after it had been damaged for two football seasons. The bid was over $5000 for one panel and we had two panels that needed to be replaced. When they never repaired the sign I took it upon myself to get it fixed because it was embarrassing to look at every game for two seasons. The cost for both panels, under $800. Someone isn't spending our money the way it should be spent.

TD, you gave me a great idea...let the school board put it on a ballot and let the people decide. I understand what the board is trying to do. A school board looks out for the BEST interests of the kids in OUR community. Is this really the BEST interests of the community? I have chosen to keep my kids in the WO-S district unlike many others who flee to LC-M, Orangefield, or BC. I am single parent with twin boys, my mother really don't see very well to drive at night and helps bring the kids places in the daytime because I work evenings. My kids are honor students and want to play junior high ball next year and will probably at least try to play all three sports. So, now I have a problem, do I a) quit my job and get on welfare B) don't allow my boys to play sports when they MIGHT be the next Jason Witten or Jeff Bagwell (this community took a lot of pride in the accomplishments of Kevin Smith, Chris Cole, and many others) or c) allow a 78 year old woman behind the wheel almost every night.

Before someone jumps on me just kidding about the welfare, but if I made any less that might not be such a stretch.

At any rate, the athletic program at WO-S is bare bones as it is and has seen every sport except football in decline. If the school board thinks this will INCREASE the student graduation rate or move new students into the district they are MISTAKEN. The cost of about $36,000 if you believe their figures would be about a $3-4 dollars a year (probably less) to taxpayers. I, for one, would pay 4 extra dollars. I hav enot heard the baord say where this money that is being saved will be spent. I can't assume it would be spent on academics.

As a former city councilman, I always voted for what was the BEST interests of my community, and I believe that the school board should do the same. Either the district is almost bankrupt and they are not saying or they are NOT serving the best interests of the community. The fact that other districts do not has no bearing whatsoever in this case. Just because someone else is jumping off the bridge is no sign that it is the right thing to do.  

It is a bad situation but the tax payer should'nt have to be responsible for a ride home at 11:00pm.

I haven't heard one tax payer complaining. It keeps kids off of the street and in school then it's worth it.

Guest ECBucFan

BUC,

How is providing a way home from practice to those kids with no way home in any way putting sports before academics?

Have y'all been following the dialogue? This isn't about WOS and Newton directly. Someone else brought them up. I already posted:

I DO know that academics (and budgets) are sacrificed on the athletic alter, to varying degrees, in districts around the state. By your own opening post, you mention WOS and Newton, not I. Of course, the "football first" perception is widespread and fits perfectly, doesn't it?

Rationalization is attempted by many rabid fans to explain away decisions made that favor football over academics on a regular basis. When a board simply begins an effort to put economies and academics first, people groan, like it or not. Read FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS...

In a day and age of widespread economic difficulties, declining enrollments (in some schools like WOS), declining academic standards and achievements, and lack of self reliance, IF a districts voters feel THE BEST USE of thousands of dollars is to "extra" bus athletes around, so be it. WOS apparently didn't, and I applaud WOS for their wise decision in this economically constrained time (reality setting in!). I would never advocate sacrificing a single dollar that would otherwise be badly needed to augment struggling academic programs.

Society needs to move away from the premise of "football first", everything else second. (I know, I know, allegation denied  ::) ) I make no apologies for having correct perspectives, since football lasts for a few years, but education is for life.

Thank you all for the conversation, and to all for hearing me out!  ECBucFan, over and out.  :)  

BUC,

How is providing a way home from practice to those kids with no way home in any way putting sports before academics?

Have y'all been following the dialogue? This isn't about WOS and Newton directly. Someone else brought them up. I already posted:

I DO know that academics (and budgets) are sacrificed on the athletic alter, to varying degrees, in districts around the state. By your own opening post, you mention WOS and Newton, not I. Of course, the "football first" perception is widespread and fits perfectly, doesn't it?

Rationalization is attempted by many rabid fans to explain away decisions made that favor football over academics on a regular basis. When a board simply begins an effort to put economies and academics first, people groan, like it or not. Read FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS...

In a day and age of widespread economic difficulties, declining enrollments (in some schools like WOS), declining academic standards and achievements, and lack of self reliance, IF a districts voters feel THE BEST USE of thousands of dollars is to "extra" bus athletes around, so be it. WOS apparently didn't, and I applaud WOS for their wise decision in this economically constrained time (reality setting in!). I would never advocate sacrificing a single dollar that would otherwise be badly needed to augment struggling academic programs.

Society needs to move away from the premise of "football first", everything else second. (I know, I know, allegation denied  ::) ) I make no apologies for having correct perspectives, since football lasts for a few years, but education is for life.

Thank you all for the conversation, and to all for hearing me out!  ECBucFan, over and out.  :)  

O.J. comes to mind!

I don't think anyone argued that education comes over athletics. In our situation one helps the other. Again the people decided nothing. It was forced on us. I guess you can say "we decided because we put these people in office" if you want to make that stretch.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder