Another Smart Move (Yea) By The WOS School Board

Guest wos grad

Guest wos grad

Source kogt

Buses making late night runs in the West Orange-Cove school district  come to an end Friday after the school board voted 6-1 to stop student transportation after practice and games for junior high and high school athletes.  It's a service that the district has been providing for years and one of the few to do so.  Newton also buses athletes home but that's because of the large area the district encompasses.  They say the reason for the cut is that the district is having to find ways to cut costs.  There was a packed house at Tuesday's meeting filled with people who were upset with the vote.  Athletic Director Dan Hooks spoke and disputed the districts report that it was costing $35,000 a year to bus athletes.  He said his calculation is closer to $9000 but trustees didn't give much attention to the report according to the coach.  The only member who voted against the move was Ricky Jacobs who said he felt the transportation was needed with the districts demographics.  "Athletics is keeping a lot of these kids in school and not all have transportation."

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ECBucFan

I once said "reality would set in" when a scheme was hatched to split each classification in two, and cause 100-150 mile one-way trips for every district game. When gas went to $4/gallon, we heard no more. At SOME POINT, schools will have to start doing things practical, and living within their means. 

Many people in a district pays little or no taxes, while the average homeowner is getting soaked more and more every year. With a rotten economy, and an area blasted with three hurricanes in 3 years, people are stretched right now. At SOME POINT, schools will HAVE to economize, even schools like WOS and Newton, who put football above anything and everything else. Reality IS setting in.

I would like to say that football is not put above everything else. With that being said it is very important and keeps alot of kids in school and actually provides them with an education. With that being said, as I understand it our middle school has been low performing for several years, however, we haven't made one change in the administration there. Seems like the problem starts at the top.

Guest ECBucFan

I would like to say that football is not put above everything else. With that being said it is very important and keeps alot of kids in school and actually provides them with an education.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree that "football provides them an education". Colleges graduate maybe 50% of the football players, and also take into account many of the athletes take the simplest classes available. Students should attend school to get an education, "athletics" should not be the motivating factor to keep kids in school. Some schools simply don't get this. 

Guest wos grad

See that's your problem, you have no clue on what goes on at WOS. Trust me, you don't! The board there doesn't like Athletics simple as that. Who was the "smart Guy" i heard got up and said " You'll be lucky to even have Athletics next year?

Guest ECBucFan

You are partially correct, I have no idea about the WOS board, or Newtons board, nor do I really care. I know nothing of the "smart guy" you mention. However, you raised this subject in an OPEN forum, and now you have a problem with someone commenting? Geeze.  :o 

I DO know that academics (and budgets) are sacrificed on the athletic alter, to varying degrees, in districts around the state. By your own opening post, you mention WOS and Newton, not I. Of course, the "football first" perception is widespread and fits perfectly, doesn't it?

Rationalization is attempted by many rabid fans to explain away decisions made that favor football over academics on a regular basis. When a board simply begins an effort to put economies and academics first, people groan, like it or not. Read FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS...

You are partially correct, I have no idea about the WOS board, or Newtons board, nor do I really care. I know nothing of the "smart guy" you mention. However, you raised this subject in an OPEN forum, and now you have a problem with someone commenting? Geeze.  :o 

I DO know that academics (and budgets) are sacrificed on the athletic alter, to varying degrees, in districts around the state. By your own opening post, you mention WOS and Newton, not I. Of course, the "football first" perception is widespread and fits perfectly, doesn't it?

Rationalization is attempted by many rabid fans to explain away decisions made that favor football over academics on a regular basis. When a board simply begins an effort to put economies and academics first, people groan, like it or not. Read FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS...

This is as about a smart a post as I have ever read on these forums.

Kudos ECBucFan. Please continue on. :)

BTW, these kind of changes are happening all over, not just at WOS.

I would like to say that football is not put above everything else. With that being said it is very important and keeps alot of kids in school and actually provides them with an education.

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree that "football provides them an education". Colleges graduate maybe 50% of the football players, and also take into account many of the athletes take the simplest classes available. Students should attend school to get an education, "athletics" should not be the motivating factor to keep kids in school. Some schools simply don't get this. 

The GURU will now speak on this most unfortunate of topics!  First of all bucky, I believe the comment about football helping kids with education was that extra curricular activities gives kids incentive to make good grades, stay in school, and get a college education.  This is 100% accurate in the WOS school district.  By cutting out transportation for extra curricular activities you will cut out the number of kids that will participate in these activities and will cause some to even not participate in school all together. I have a brother that has worked in this district and I can honestly say that the mismanagement of money for YEARS has caused this district the hardships that it is currently enduring!  Unfortunately, the CHILDREN are ALWAYS the ones that SUFFER!  Sorry bucky, but the buck stops here and The GURU has spoken!!

The GURU will now speak on this most unfortunate of topics!  First of all bucky, I believe the comment about football helping kids with education was that extra curricular activities gives kids incentive to make good grades, stay in school, and get a college education.  This is 100% accurate in the WOS school district.  By cutting out transportation for extra curricular activities you will cut out the number of kids that will participate in these activities and will cause some to even not participate in school all together. I have a brother that has worked in this district and I can honestly say that the mismanagement of money for YEARS has caused this district the hardships that it is currently enduring!  Unfortunately, the CHILDREN are ALWAYS the ones that SUFFER!  Sorry bucky, but the buck stops here and The GURU has spoken!!

I can only speak for my local school district, Silsbee, on this matter. Silsbee does not provide transportation back home for extra curricular activities, yet they have not suffered any loss to speak of in participation. The only numbers that have dropped in Silsbee are due to the population decline, therefore why we are in 3A now. The percentage of students participating in extra curricular have not changed. Silsbee hasn't provided transportation in years.

I think it's great that WOS was still providing transportation for their students. But in these times, it was inevitable that it would change. I think you'll be suprised that the numbers will not drop significantly at WOS because of these changes.

Guest ECBucFan

GURU, I assume you are an adult, so, lets try to avoid sarcastically twisting screen names (bucky... ::)) like the kids do. It will help keep dialogue at an intelligent level, thanks.

Now, this "unfortunate topic" was again initiated by as WO-S guy, so it did not arise with me. Athletic participation should be regarded as an "extra" to the educational experience, not as an "incentive" to attend class and academically perform. I refuse to believe that, for an example, a football crazed kid, who just happened to reside in a 1A district that doesn't have a football program, should simply throw up his hands and lament "THERE IS JUST NO USE IN GOING TO SCHOOL, SINCE I CAN'T PLAY FOOTBALL HERE" Would you, or anyone else accept that? I would not for a split second!

The primary motivation for academic accomplishment should be for a students self betterment, and a sense of self responsibility, regardless of the presence of or quality of an athletic program. Too many times, even today, some districts let the sports wag school, instead of the other way around. I applaud ANY movement by ANY district in the directions of academics (and economics) when sports have become the primary focus. I LOVE sports, but I know their

real place.

Again, rationalizations by rabid fans cloud judgments. Read FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS, as advertised on Coops signature. 

PS, Thanks, Aggie.  :)

Bottom Line... WO-S is not SIlsbee, Newton,LC-M, Bridge City or anyone else...it's WO-S. It's apples and oranges. When 70% of these kids have no way home, what are they going to do? Most come from single parent homes with one or less vehicle per household. Are you telling me that $10,000-25,000 a year is worth even 1 kid turning to the streets. That is what will happen. You will see the overall education go down, enrollment go down, crime go up all to save some pocket change in this district. The kids did not mismanage 2 million dollars so don't hold them liable. A sad day in WO-S. It's not about football, extra-curricular activities, or money.....it's about the kids that will suffer.

You know what? I will agree with you. Athletics should not be a motivating factor to keep kids in school. However, it is to some kids. Whether you like it or not it is a fact. Football has been a means for some kids to go to college and get an education that otherwise may not have gone.

Bottom Line... WO-S is not SIlsbee, Newton,LC-M, Bridge City or anyone else...it's WO-S. It's apples and oranges. When 70% of these kids have no way home, what are they going to do? Most come from single parent homes with one or less vehicle per household. Are you telling me that $10,000-25,000 a year is worth even 1 kid turning to the streets. That is what will happen. You will see the overall education go down, enrollment go down, crime go up all to save some pocket change in this district. The kids did not mismanage 2 million dollars so don't hold them liable. A sad day in WO-S. It's not about football, extra-curricular activities, or money.....it's about the kids that will suffer.

Great post!

Explain to me how WOS is so different than Silsbee, Newton and other school districts in regards to this problem. These other school districts have single parent homes. These other school districts are experiencing tough times through the bad economy. How is this apples and oranges?

I can only speak for my local school district, Silsbee, on this matter. Silsbee does not provide transportation back home for extra curricular activities, yet they have not suffered any loss to speak of in participation. The only numbers that have dropped in Silsbee are due to the population decline, therefore why we are in 3A now. The percentage of students participating in extra curricular have not changed. Silsbee hasn't provided transportation in years.

I think it's great that WOS was still providing transportation for their students. But in these times, it was inevitable that it would change. I think you'll be suprised that the numbers will not drop significantly at WOS because of these changes.

If the number drops by 2 it is a break even deal. Which is what makes it ridiculous. We still operate alot like a 5A school. The money has been mismanaged for years and that's how we got to this point. Now they are trying to do away with one of the most positive things going for WOS. It doesn't make good business sense. If 3 kids drop out then they have lost money.

Explain to me how WOS is so different than Silsbee, Newton and other school districts in regards to this problem. These other school districts have single parent homes. These other school districts are experiencing tough times through the bad economy. How is this apples and oranges?

I agree.  ALL school districts have students that range from those who seem to have every advantage to kids who seem to have every dis-advantage. 

One school board member talked about doing away with athletics altogether. Now my kids don't need a ride to or from anything, however, if they do away with athletics we will no longer go to school at WOS. Athletics is not the reason my kids go to school at all. They go to get an education and have all three done very well on all of their grades and TAKS. Still athletics teaches alot of skills that you don't get out of a book. Not to mention exercise and gives them something to do with idol time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu