*HURRICANE IKE AFTERMATH AND COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

Morning yall, Ive got some more pics but it takes me a while to upload them. Ill post as soon as I can. The water is lowering pretty quick and I believe were about to turn the pumps on to try to get the water back into the river. This has been a wild ride. I cant wait just to take a shower. haha.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied with FEMA, got an ID number.  Also made application for hotel assistance, but no answer.  After going thru the FEMA app online, I got a message that said I didn't qualify for assistance and I'm a homeowner.  They were very particular about all the gross income in your house, insurance info, etc.  I know they have to be careful this time, because so many people abused the privaledge last time with Rita.  I made application with the hotel thru FEMA, but no word yet.  If we are out for 3 to 5 weeks, this is definitely going to make a dent in the budget.  FEMA did say they would not allocate money until my property was inspected.  I can't even get home to see what the damage is.  Guess I'll just have to wait.  If anyone hears when the county is allowing folks to go back in to inspect their property, please post so I can know.  I'm praying for everyone in our area.  I live in Groves, and have heard there is minimal damage there, but no confirmation as yet.  Take Care!

Guest bucwheat

Just saw search and rescue people all the way from Denton county by Dallas headed hear along with other counties..

ambulances,police,firefighters..be sure to give them guys a wave or a thumbs up and tell you how much you appreciate them..It means alot to them and they are taking time away from there families to help us..

Just wanted to throw that in..Its a good feeling when you see the "cavalry" coming..!!!

Just saw search and rescue people all the way from Denton county by Dallas headed hear along with other counties..

ambulances,police,firefighters..be sure to give them guys a wave or a thumbs up and tell you how much you appreciate them..It means alot to them and they are taking time away from there families to help us..

Just wanted to throw that in..Its a good feeling when you see the "cavalry" coming..!!!

You are right!!!  I remember seeing the brigade of rescue/ utility trucks rolling in after Rita..... (I think I started breakdancing...)  These guys... especially the linemen work their @#$ off!!!

AOL has 500 photos they are mostly Galveston and Houston but there are some of Orange and Port Arthur.  More on there from the triangle than I have seen on other "big" sites.  There are also some devestating pics of Crystal Beach.  If you make the pics thumbnail view (menu) you can scroll over them with your mouse and it will tell you what they are instead of having to click through each photo.

Guest bucwheat

Bump...

shake these guys hands and look them in the face and show your appreciation...Don't let it be like Katrina in New orleans,...Let it be one of them Southeasttexas hand shakes.... its a good feeling when you have neighbors coming out of the house when you are removing a tree from the road..we had 10 people removing trees from the road and no one hesitated..we just "got er' done"!!

Does anyone know the reason 1442 or Roundbunch, near Tyler Estates, is blocked by 10 cop cars.  They say they are still rescuiing people, and that it is not due to the water level.  They will not let you by, no matter what the circumstance.  This was about an hour or 2 ago.

My wife works at the WOS middle school. She works over in the Carr Bldg. Does anyone know anything about this area? The WOCCISD website will not pull up. The BC and OF sites will and state school is closed all this coming week and then will be notified of changes after that. We cant get and WOS info. Thanks

I teach over in Vidor, and from what I understand All Local School Districts are handling any updated information through the Region V website.  Just go to www.esc5.net, and click on your school district.  If your district has posted any information it should come up.  Hope this helps.

ORDER TO VACATE BOLIVAR PENINSULA, GALVESTON COUNTY, TEXAS

Whereas, Hurricane Ike struck Galveston County, Texas on September 12, 2008 and on September 13, 2008 with catastrophic winds and storm surge, inflicting widespread and severe damage, injury, loss of life and property;

Whereas, Bolivar Peninsula in Galveston County, Texas, has suffered extreme and extensive damage from Hurricane Ike and is estimated to be 90% destroyed;

Whereas, the storm surge on Bolivar Peninsula has led to extreme and massive damage;

Whereas, on this day, BolivarPeninsula remains under water, impassable, inaccessible, and isolated;

Whereas, there is no water, power, or other utility services on BolivarPeninsula;

Whereas, there are no open stores, other amenities, or means of communication functioning on BolivarPeninsula;

Whereas, there is no usable infrastructure on BolivarPeninsula;

Whereas, Galveston County recognizes its obligation under law to preserve and protect public health, safety, and welfare;

Whereas, the County Judge of Galveston County, Texas, has declared a local state of disaster for Galveston County, Texas;

Whereas, the Governor of the State of Texas has proclaimed a state of disaster for Galveston County, Texas;

Whereas, the President of the United States of America has declared a state of disaster covering Galveston County, Texas;

Whereas, on September 11, 2008, the Health and Human Services Secretary of the United States of America, Mike Leavitt, declared a public health emergency in the State of Texas due to Hurricane Ike;

Whereas, rescue efforts are underway on BolivarPeninsula to continue to locate and rescue survivors;

Whereas, the continuing presence of survivors located on BolivarPeninsula will hamper and impede ongoing rescue efforts;

Whereas, the continuing presence of survivors located on Bolivar Peninsula will contribute to or exacerbate a public health emergency on Bolivar Peninsula; and

Whereas, Galveston County is facing extraordinary circumstances in the aftermath of Hurricane Ike.

Now Therefore, it is hereby ORDERED by the CountyJudge of Galveston County, Texas, that:

all survivors located on BolivarPeninsula shall be and are hereby ORDERED to vacate BolivarPeninsula; and

this Order shall take effect immediately from and after its issuance.

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED, on this, the 14th day of September, 2008.

Signed

James D. Yarbrough,

County Judge of

Galveston County, Texas

Update from Gary Stelly's Blog:

This is the hidden content, please

Sept. 14, 10:15pm- First off the Good News, there is power at the hospital and also in Roselawn.  I'm just going to give you an answer rundown and also what we've been told today.  People are able to come into town but not at night.  BC is supposed to let people in on Monday according to the city mgr. but just to survey damage.  There have been no bodies found yet according to Orange, WO, and BC authorities.  Yes there were caskets floating in Orange.  We're told they popped up from the cemetery that's on Simmons.  Water in Orange is fine.  WO, BC, Nottingham and Country Squire are under a boiled water ordinance.  Gas available in Louisiana.  If you're up north, 80% of Jasper has power along with gas and supplies.  There have been a few people with 18 wheelers full of generators and selling them around town from the bigger parking lots.  Most roads are open in Orange and WO except 16th and Green, South St near Lions Park, Green and 4th to Simmons, Western near Bayou, Holly St, Irving St., Simmons past the Bayou Club south. I'm not sure what roads are still  not passable in BC.  Schools won't be open for sometime and there's no plan for BC yet.  LCM put out a release saying 3-6 wks without power means you may want to enroll your kids into other schools until they open.  LSCO said a minimum two weeks because of flood damage.  Without our Road Runner service we haven't been able to stream our signal and I apologize for that but it's out of our hands right now.  Water, MRE's and ice have been ordered by OC and should be arriving Mon-Tues at the same locations as we had during Rita.  Red Cross has some supplies and few people to hand them out so if you're looking to volunteer, that may be the place.  They're on I-10 near the MLK overpass.  The Corps of Engineers will be in charge of debris removal again and the plan of attack has not been laid out BUT if you begin cleanup remember that you need to separate your waste into piles.  And don't put the piles near mailboxes, power poles, fire hydrants, etc because they will be using a grappler truck to pick it up.  No word on when Waste Management will be back in business.  As for FEMA news check out the front page.  I've put their info just as they released it so please ask them the questions not me because I wouldn't know. 

Sept. 14, 11:10pm- I was able to get to downtown Orange today.  Well most of it.  But I'm encouraged by a few people who said they didn't get water in their house but almost.  Dr. Dileo said he didn't get any in his office and I'm just amazed by that. You can see in some of today's pics where the water/debris lines were.  Some of you have asked about the evacuees.  This is the report I received from Alan at North Orange Baptist Church...The church was used last night and today as a staging area for bringing folks from search and rescue efforts to placing on chartered buses for transporting to San Antonio… Last night there were some 400 passing through and getting on buses headed for Kelley AFB in San Antonio. At the end of today there were some forty-some folks that were brought by, got their personal information, fed/offered MRE’s prior to leaving. Only ONE bus had been filled and was to leave by 9PM this evening. When I left this evening it was my understanding that buses are to be available tomorrow also. This evening the National Guard folks came in and are staying at the church.. not sure what they will be doing.  Thanks to Alan and the people at NOBC. 

Congressman Kevin Brady, Senator Tommy Williams and State Rep Mike Hamilton were all in town today so I hope their first hand assessment will mean more help is on the way.  Nothing like seeing devastation in person to tug at the heartstrings so we appreciate their concern.  WOS Supt. Taylor Collins said the North Early Learning Ctr. was the only WOCCISD campus that received significant damage and that was caused by flooding.  Once again, I have seen very little damage caused by trees.  Trees have fallen, but few on homes.  I'm hoping to make it to OF and BC Monday for further assessment.

Sept. 14, 11:55pm- More good news.  Just got a call that the Cypress Bayou area now has power.  We're showin some love to all electricians!  It was made official today that the popular boat races that were scheduled for next weekend have been cancelled.  Tough break for the area because close to 20,000 came out last year to watch.  And you can see from the picture we have of Lions Park that the carnival will not run as scheduled this year.  But don't count the Lions out yet.  After Rita they still had the carnival in December.  But they received a little more damage this go around so we'll wait for the final word.

Sept. 15, 6:35am- Good morning!  It appears those that are on the Echo Feeder got power last night as well as the hospital and the surrounding area there.  Judge Thibodeaux has also said that people are allowed to come home with the knowledge that they're still on their own for the most part

Energy Restores Power to Thousands of Customers

This is the hidden content, please

Entergy has restored power to thousands of customers overnight and a spokesman tells KFDM News although he's "thrilled," customers must understand it could be a number of weeks before everyone has power.

Late Sunday night power was restored to a small section of downtown Beaumont, and customers in Orange and in the Orangefield area tell KFDM News their lights came on as well. Sunday power returned to about one third of Lumberton in Hardin County.

"We are getting the backbone lit up," said Entergy Texas spokesman Dave Caplan. "This is a very similar path to Rita when we brought power back from the north. It's very encouraging we're able to get power back to portions of Beaumont and other portions, and it's very encourage and we're just thrilled that we're able to do it."

Caplan says perhaps another 7,000 customers saw their lights come back on overnight.

"This is a very important first step in rebuilding the linkages with our high powered transmission lines from the north that serve this area. You have to get that backbone in before you get hospitals and downtowns back on again. It's what we've been aiming for - to get the power up today - and from there we can build on it. We got one or two substations energized. That's a critical first step to get those links established. I'm just thrilled."

Entergy will complete its assessments Monday with helicopter fly-overs. The company says the western part of its service area seems to have experienced more damage.

Thousands of Entergy workers and others brought in by the company are working to restore power.

"The cavalry is on the way and they're here. 14,000 people from 32 different states and other countries. We want people to try to be patient. At least the initial look at this seems to be not worse than Rita, but we'll get a sense today or tomorrow about restoration times in specific neighobhroods."

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin