New Rule

I have an umpire friend and he told me that coaches are not going to able to sit outside the dugout while their team is in the field. This mean no buckets, nothing. He said that this just came down the line from TASO. Something about 2 coaches got hit last year and are suing TASO and the umpires. Has anyone else heard of this?

To clarify one of the things Rhino said, there is a football official who was injured in a collision with a referee that has sued TASO. I do not know or have heard of any baseball coaches suing TASO. I know it will take some getting used to by the coaches, but in the ever changing world of making everything safer, this is just another step.

BTW.. I didn't know you had any umpire friends Rhino.... J/K

You couldn't have said it better, I have NO idea why some let the catchers call the game, and some wonder why the pitcher has elbow problems. Very few college coaches let the catchers call the game or at least what has been my exp.

Trust your catcher  ::)

It would be safer to let him make out the lineup than to allow him to call pitches.

imo

To clarify one of the things Rhino said, there is a football official who was injured in a collision with a referee that has sued TASO. I do not know or have heard of any baseball coaches suing TASO. I know it will take some getting used to by the coaches, but in the ever changing world of making everything safer, this is just another step.

BTW.. I didn't know you had any umpire friends Rhino.... J/K

MrUmp, I didn't know he had any friends at all!

Coaches should call the pitches most of the time---but is does add an element of excitement to the game when the catcher does it---especially if the catcher is a "student of the game". It is also valuable training if the kid intends to play at the next level.

At the H.S level, a catcher should be able to call the pitches.

It is my experience that 643 is is mistaken and most colleges do allow the cathers to call the game. Of course, that is with some direction and leadership from the pitching staff.

Yea the catchers do call the pitches as per rules of the game, BUT only after they get them from the dugout. Not only pitches but location, infield setup, picks among others. The coach my son played for only allowed a pitcher to shake off 1 or 2 at the most and you had better hope a pitch you shook off wasn't hit and found a hole. This held true for both colleges he pitched for.

Some coaches let the catcher call the game.This depends on the catchers knowledge of his pitchers and the other teams hitters.If the catcher is capable it makes the game run much smoother.Also it is part of the game that must be learned if one wants to advance levels.

The first level to let the catcher call the pitches is pro ball. (I know there are exceptions) Catchers at the pro level have advanced scouting reports on the opponents.  In high school and college you just don't play teams enough times for the cat. to study the hitters. Easier for the coach to look back and see the stats in the book.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder