Scott Rich named as new Nederland HC/AD

4 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Yes there are some good coaches on the staff. That’s why they went 6-15 the past 2 seasons and their 6 wins were against teams with losing records

On the slight chance that you’re not being sarcastic, I agree the coaches could only do so much when the Head Coach wouldn’t listen to what they had to say about making changes to the program and the way things were done.

14 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Yes there are some good coaches on the staff. That’s why they went 6-15 the past 2 seasons and their 6 wins were against teams with losing records

Is the new coach "good"? What was his record for the "past 2 seasons"? Be interesting to see he gets amnesia and forgets how to coach now.

Or whether or not he intends to implement relatively unknown coaching approach of teaching "fundamentals and technique"?

3 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Does not matter who they have for coaches, they did not schedule 6A schools from Katy, Cypress and Pearland in their pre-district. Still seems odd that a similar pre-district schedule did not hinder PNG this year?

I hope that was sarcasm.

3 hours ago, spidersal said:

Let us see how the new staff does. The new AD/HC has many years, so we will see how his program goes. I and most people that post hope he does well

I do know if I were coming in, seeing how bad the program has become under Barrow’s leadership, I would clean house

True!  Good head coaches have good assistants.  Bad head coaches have not so good assistants.  That's the state Ned is in now.  Time to bring in fresh blood!

14 hours ago, spidersal said:

I do not know why you would want any coach that currently coaches the secondary and OL to return. Those key positions at Nederland have been absolutely horrible the past 2 years.  The secondary even longer than that.  In fact the receivers, LB’ers, and QB’s haven’t been good either. The DL coaches did a fair job and they had 1 good RB, other than that, the Bulldogs didn’t have much

That is why spring ball will help him evaluate talent and begin to get his program established and hopefully some players that quit and walking the halls will come back

I would love the opportunity to sit down and have a cup of coffee with you! You are so full of so much knowledge! I would have already reached out but you like most have an alias name behind a keyboard. 

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Don’t believe he was a head coach before.  So, it’s going to be interesting to see the quality of his staff.  Will tell us a lot moving forward. 

I ask simply to point out that if "Good head coaches have good assistants..." and he has never been a head coach, then he most likely does not have a stable of good assistants.

28 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I ask simply to point out that if "Good head coaches have good assistants..." and he has never been a head coach, then he most likely does not have a stable of good assistants.

Who said he did? Never mentioned him.   I was making a point in opposition to what Ned just had.  

19 hours ago, Brubaker said:

I’m also wondering what happens if you don’t win another within the next 7 years… if not is it because they get content and lazy, were they just lucky?  Do you get stripped of stature if you don’t validate in 7 years?  

I don’t see it as about stature so much as a way to judge where things are likely going. If, seven years from winning a state championship, a team hasn’t been back to state, it’s roughly safe to say they aren’t likely to be back to state any time soon. But, I take a more broad approach - Getting to state is nearly as useful an indicator as winning state, and getting at least to the semifinals means you had a team that was capable of getting to state. So if I had a coach getting to semifinals or to state seven years in a row, never winning state, I’d think long and hard before firing him on the hope that a new guy can replicate that success. A coach that can get you that far is one of the best coaches in the state. 

But, I like the seven year rule because in seven years you have an idea of what is a coach’s “normal” (statistically) outcome. 

22 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I don’t see it as about stature so much as a way to judge where things are likely going. If, seven years from winning a state championship, a team hasn’t been back to state, it’s roughly safe to say they aren’t likely to be back to state any time soon. But, I take a more broad approach - Getting to state is nearly as useful an indicator as winning state, and getting at least to the semifinals means you had a team that was capable of getting to state. So if I had a coach getting to semifinals or to state seven years in a row, never winning state, I’d think long and hard before firing him on the hope that a new guy can replicate that success. A coach that can get you that far is one of the best coaches in the state. 

But, I like the seven year rule because in seven years you have an idea of what is a coach’s “normal” (statistically) outcome. 

Is that why PN-g fired Faircloth?

9 hours ago, pine curtain said:

Is that why PN-g fired Faircloth?

That's a mystery, but the reason may have been because he couldn't beat Nederland. 

I recall the local news articles back in the 60s and 70s, when Watson was PNG HC, read "always the bridesmaid, never the bride". 

Speaking of which, the next MCM should be interesting. 

5 hours ago, 1970 said:

That's a mystery, but the reason may have been because he couldn't beat Nederland. 

I recall the local news articles back in the 60s and 70s, when Watson was PNG HC, read "always the bridesmaid, never the bride". 

Speaking of which, the next MCM should be interesting. 

Faircloth won four of his last six games versus Nederland, including three in a row. The losses to Nederland were only an issue until Neumann left. That wasn’t the ultimate cause of Faircloth’s demise.

But as a Faircloth supporter, I don’t really think this is worth rehashing now. We have a generationally great coach, and the program’s in the best shape in decades. No use reopening old wounds.

5 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Faircloth won four of his last six games versus Nederland, including three in a row. The losses to Nederland were only an issue until Neumann left. That wasn’t the ultimate cause of Faircloth’s demise.

But as a Faircloth supporter, I don’t really think this is worth rehashing now. We have a generationally great coach, and the program’s in the best shape in decades. No use reopening old wounds.

Neumann owned Faircloth even when PN-g had more talent. 

57 minutes ago, glassjoe said:

Anyway, back to Nederland. Rich seems to be putting in a more structured weight program. Hopefully he has someone come and teach proper technique and lifts, actually be an example. Nederland seemed to have higher than normal injuries and cramping than any team they played, consistently 

I’m gonna preach this one more time and then I’ll get off my soap box.

The foundation of a successful high school or collegiate football program is a top notch strength and conditioning regimen.

These Katy guys seem to understand that really well.