Jumbo reported out

TxHoops

Glenn Schuman Georgia DC. I wouldn’t be opposed to a young hire like this, but he’s never been a head coach. 

He has 6 championship rings and he's 33.
He was one of 3 people in the prime Alabama defensive meetings, alongside Saban and Kirby.
He was the first person Kirby hired when he got to Georgia
He is an Incredible Xs and Os Defensive Coach, Turned down the Eagle's DC Job
He is a better recruiter than anyone on our previous staff. He is personally credited with 12 5*s on 247.
He makes less than $2MM a year, with no buyout
He is Kirby's right hand man at Georgia, see quote below

"He's the son of a football coach. He's extremely bright. He's extremely passionate. I rely heavily on Glenn for input on practice schedules, defensive design, and thinking outside the box. There's not a time when I think of who can I ask my staff that understands what we want and what we need when Schu [Schumann] is that guy. He's very talented."
-Kirby Smart

Sure, he is a risk. But he is a risk with Championship potential. Traynor and Elko haven't done anything to show they have Championship potential.

5 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

Glenn Schuman Georgia DC. I wouldn’t be opposed to a young hire like this, but he’s never been a head coach. 

He has 6 championship rings and he's 33.
He was one of 3 people in the prime Alabama defensive meetings, alongside Saban and Kirby.
He was the first person Kirby hired when he got to Georgia
He is an Incredible Xs and Os Defensive Coach, Turned down the Eagle's DC Job
He is a better recruiter than anyone on our previous staff. He is personally credited with 12 5*s on 247.
He makes less than $2MM a year, with no buyout
He is Kirby's right hand man at Georgia, see quote below

"He's the son of a football coach. He's extremely bright. He's extremely passionate. I rely heavily on Glenn for input on practice schedules, defensive design, and thinking outside the box. There's not a time when I think of who can I ask my staff that understands what we want and what we need when Schu [Schumann] is that guy. He's very talented."
-Kirby Smart

Sure, he is a risk. But he is a risk with Championship potential. Traynor and Elko haven't done anything to show they have Championship potential.

Neither had Kirby.  I think at this point, everyone is looking for the next Kirby.  Which might be to say, looking for the next Saban as it appears Kirby isn’t slowing down any time soon.  

What about Dan Campbell?  I know it’s usually the other way around and college guys move up to NFL.  But it’s not unprecedented and he is a member of the cult.  Guy is super likable which usually helps recruiting and I think he’s one of the better coaches in the league.  And A&M can certainly afford to pay him NFL money.  

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

What about Dan Campbell?  I know it’s usually the other way around and college guys move up to NFL.  But it’s not unprecedented and he is a member of the cult.  Guy is super likable which usually helps recruiting and I think he’s one of the better coaches in the league.  And A&M can certainly afford to pay him NFL money.  

He probably wouldn't want to mess with recruiting, although I think he'd be very good at it,

7 hours ago, BEARCPA said:

He probably wouldn't want to mess with recruiting, although I think he'd be very good at it,

You’re probably exactly right.  If I’m Björk, he’s my first call though. He’d have to tell me no.  And maybe it was for all we know. 

And I’m no fan of B/CS but I’d take it any day over Detroit.  Might be 109,001 on places I’d most like to live in America. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Hopefully we just got him a raise or something.  

Maybe so.  Then again, the last time you guys hired a coach from Kentucky it turned out swimmingly.  For Alabama.  

Seriously though, if it is true, Bjork has to be feeling heat already, maybe before it’s too late to back back out.  Just hire Elko if you can’t get one of the big guys.  Stoops may turn out to be great with Aggie resources but smells a little like when some other idiots hired Charlie Strong.  

Man USF was dumb 

Billy’s latest guess.  I wouldn’t mind either depending on contract 

Long story short, this one never got to the finish line and the roadblock was tonight's meeting to approve the hire involving the A&M brass. 

With this news breaking as I type, I can say I've never seen anything like this but have also been on the phone with every level of this thing throughout the night and think this is very likely to go one of two ways for the Aggies: 

The Ags pivot and tab former DC and Duke boss Mike Elko and team him with Elijah Robinson and a new-look staff or simply remove the interim tag from E-Rob and revamp things from there accordingly. Either way would be wildly popular with players and the current recruits. 

Of course, another option would be continuing the search but my bet is on the Ags sticking closer to home on this one.

ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

1 hour ago, Chester86 said:

They need to look at the Michigan guy that’s been the interim, Sherron Moore.

I’ve been impressed with him too.  I don’t know if he will get a top 10ish job like A&M but you gotta think he’s on a lot of radars now.  He called a heckuva game yesterday in the biggest of games (I thought anyway ).