McCarthy out as Speaker of the House

Bobcat1

2 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

If we get Steve Scalise or Jim Jordan or the like, it's a win, I guess I'm that one Republican.

Why? We have a 9 member majority and 8 of them voted McCarthy out.  That means the next speaker would be a slave to those 8 members and have to do exactly what they wanted. 

13 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

Why wouldn't it.  With this slim of a majority you need some compromise, and those 8 are not having it. 

Those 8 were not having McCarthy’s failing to follow through on spending cut promises, whether this happens again is simply speculation, like I said, I’m not too worried about it.

Sometimes democracy is messy.

58 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

Why wouldn't it.  With this slim of a majority you need some compromise, and those 8 are not having it. 

You are right on........Gaetz doesn't get exactly what he wants we will be watching this stupid exercise play out again.

Or if Nancy Mace doesn't think the speaker is pushing more to be done on guns or women's reproductive rights.....she will want the same

4 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

I honestly don't get it. 

We always seem to do this......

There should be no Republican who thinks this was a win.....Any speaker will be limited on what he can get done with such a small majority. 

It is because the Democrats have no conscience. They might get behind the scenes and argue privately among themselves but when they walk out to vote, it is in lockstep.

Basically, they are good players at the game of politics. Everyone knows that politics is a dirty game, and they are simply good at it.

Republicans argue among themselves behind closed doors also. They then bring those arguments into the public. They are not shy about airing their arguments and therefore not as good as playing their dirty game as the Democrats.

I saw a poll a couple of years ago that had Nancy Pelosi nationally as the most hated politician in America. She had about 27% support and that’s even among Democrats. But she was the Speaker and when the Democrats went to the floor to vote, they typically did so as one. When they made public comments, it was as one. They are simply better at the dirty game.

As an example, nationally, the Democrats are absolutely opposed to private gun rights and reducing taxes. They do everything in the courts and votes to try to keep people from possessing firearms and to keep more money coming in. You know however, that the democratic rank and file  voters like the people reading this forum, absolutely want to have the ability to purchase whatever firearm they wish and want less taxes out of their paychecks. You will see such comments as (even in this forum), no one is trying to take your guns. That is absolute nonsense, and you can look across the nation and see evidence of it time and time again but it will be denied. So you have the Democrat blue-collar worker who is against much of what the Democratic Party stands nationally or certainly how the party votes in the legislature but they were going to the voting booth and pull the D lever to support the home team.

They are better at the game. 

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

Jim Jordan to run for House speaker following McCarthy's removal!  I can't see a down side to this outcome!

This is the hidden content, please

Is this the same Jim Jordan?

Weird how the people crying loudest about law and order.. think law and order don’t apply to them. Or calling everyone else being a pedo or rapist are enablers and sympathizers themselves. 

For the record - looks like you and lumraider consider this a “win”. 

Ohio representative and former Ohio State University wrestling coach Jim Jordan aided and abetted in the university's cover-up of sexual abuse within the program, 

"Jim Jordan called me crying, groveling, begging me to go against my brother, begging me, crying for a half-hour," DiSabato 

. "That’s the kind of cover-up that’s going on there." 

Adam DiSabato, captain of the team during the early 1990s, told members of the Ohio House Civil Justice Committee that Jordan and other officials ignored former Ohio State doctor Richard Strauss's 

. DiSabato said that Jordan and other team officials knew about open-shower facilities that facilitated sexual harassment and abuse of team wrestlers. Jordan 

A university study found that Strauss 

Strauss was never charged and died by suicide in 2005. 

A former Ohio State wrestler 

the university's lawyers in 2018 that, “Based on testimony from victim athletes from each of the aforementioned varsity sports, we estimate that Strauss sexually assaulted and/or raped a minimum of 1,500/2,000 athletes at OSU.” 

1 hour ago, DonTheCon2024 said:

Is this the same Jim Jordan?

Weird how the people crying loudest about law and order.. think law and order don’t apply to them. Or calling everyone else being a pedo or rapist are enablers and sympathizers themselves. 

For the record - looks like you and lumraider consider this a “win”. 

Ohio representative and former Ohio State University wrestling coach Jim Jordan aided and abetted in the university's cover-up of sexual abuse within the program, 

"Jim Jordan called me crying, groveling, begging me to go against my brother, begging me, crying for a half-hour," DiSabato 

. "That’s the kind of cover-up that’s going on there." 

Adam DiSabato, captain of the team during the early 1990s, told members of the Ohio House Civil Justice Committee that Jordan and other officials ignored former Ohio State doctor Richard Strauss's 

. DiSabato said that Jordan and other team officials knew about open-shower facilities that facilitated sexual harassment and abuse of team wrestlers. Jordan 

A university study found that Strauss 

Strauss was never charged and died by suicide in 2005. 

A former Ohio State wrestler 

the university's lawyers in 2018 that, “Based on testimony from victim athletes from each of the aforementioned varsity sports, we estimate that Strauss sexually assaulted and/or raped a minimum of 1,500/2,000 athletes at OSU.” 

From the NY Times:  

By Catie Edmondson

May 17, 2019

"WASHINGTON — A major investigation into sexual abuse at Ohio State University found no hard evidence that coaches like Jim Jordan, now a prominent Republican in Congress, knew of a team doctor’s rampant sexual misconduct."

Now -- what part of this statement don't you understand?

18 minutes ago, Reagan said:

From the NY Times:  

By Catie Edmondson

May 17, 2019

"WASHINGTON — A major investigation into sexual abuse at Ohio State University found no hard evidence that coaches like Jim Jordan, now a prominent Republican in Congress, knew of a team doctor’s rampant sexual misconduct."

Now -- what part of this statement don't you understand?

I’m just impressed he looked up an article, must be a slow day in the basement.