$250k for homeless

5GallonBucket

8 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

This is the hidden content, please

thoughts?

waste of tax money and resources?

does it encourage homeless to stay homeless?

is it a stepping stone?

I don’t have the definitive answer, but this is simply kicking the can down the road. Clean up drug addiction and address mental health issues and the homelessness all but goes away. 

8 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I don’t have the definitive answer, but this is simply kicking the can down the road. Clean up drug addiction and address mental health issues and the homelessness all but goes away. 

I agree 

I know this may come off as heartless but it really comes down to choices. Not one choice not two choices but continuous poor choices.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:39 PM, 5GallonBucket said:

This is the hidden content, please

thoughts?

waste of tax money and resources?

does it encourage homeless to stay homeless?

is it a stepping stone?

There is always some people who want help. Problem is, homelessness is a way of life for most. I think it is a big waste of money.

I agree with most of what was said, this is definitely a tough problem.

There are groups in the area that are helping these folks (many church based)  that want help and believe it or not, there are homeless in the area that are holding down jobs and trying to get past being homeless.  There are also folks that have some mental issues and drug problems, or both, that make getting the help they need much more than what is being proposed.

This may be coming from a motive of true compassion but I think what is being proposed will not help the homeless situation at all, it will simply move it out of sight.

I don't hate the idea.  It obviously won't solve all the problems, but it has a few major benefits.  First, it will bring a large portion of our local homeless to one area, making it much easier for local volunteer groups to help them.  Second, it will bring a large portion of our local homeless out of populated residential and commercial areas.  Whether someone is homeless because of drugs, mental issues, or because they lost their job, I don't want them camping out in the alley behind my grandmother's house, or coming up and hassling my wife for money when she's walking with my kids to her car.  Moving them to a location that's remote, but also provides some services they need will alleviate this issue quite a bit.

7 hours ago, bullets13 said:

I don't hate the idea.  It obviously won't solve all the problems, but it has a few major benefits.  First, it will bring a large portion of our local homeless to one area, making it much easier for local volunteer groups to help them.  Second, it will bring a large portion of our local homeless out of populated residential and commercial areas.  Whether someone is homeless because of drugs, mental issues, or because they lost their job, I don't want them camping out in the alley behind my grandmother's house, or coming up and hassling my wife for money when she's walking with my kids to her car.  Moving them to a location that's remote, but also provides some services they need will alleviate this issue quite a bit.

Would you only offer the assistance if drug screens and rehabilitation were adhered to?

On 10/1/2023 at 12:06 AM, bullets13 said:

They’re costing the city money anyway.  I’d prefer them do so off of city streets.  

Man I get it, and I agree to a point, but I still think the only thing you're doing is polishing a turd. The "out of sight out of mind" approach is actually worse for them. Offer true help which is not only food and shelter, but jobs & healing as well. Employment programs, drug rehab, mental health assistance, even spiritual healing is needed if you truly want to give meaningful assistance.  That's not gonna happen by shoving them under the bed. Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Man I get it, and I agree to a point, but I still think the only thing you're doing is polishing a turd. The "out of sight out of mind" approach is actually worse for them. Offer true help which is not only food and shelter, but jobs & healing as well. Employment programs, drug rehab, mental health assistance, even spiritual healing is needed if you truly want to give meaningful assistance.  That's not gonna happen by shoving them under the bed. Just my opinion.

Couldn’t agree more

if a man isn’t willing to work he don’t deserve to eat.

I drive the streets of Beaumont 5 days a week all sides of Bmt.  Plenty of able bodied people.

suffering is a great teacher 

cause and effect

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

This is equivalent to the immigration issues,,,,,,what do you do with ALL of them?

Upfront I don't have an answer to the homeless problem, but all in one place versus in my backyard sounds good to me. 

I spent the weekend in Austin. We were near South Congress. We spent an afternoon "scootering" around the area/parks on these electric scooters.  (that is a blast BTW)....but the homeless was EVERYWHERE.  You could smell the urine in some locations. People sleeping everywhere.  Beaumont is no where near that, but they could be in near future.......

And people question why people are leaving Beaumont and populating these smaller surrounding towns.....

37 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

This is equivalent to the immigration issues,,,,,,what do you do with ALL of them?

Upfront I don't have an answer to the homeless problem, but all in one place versus in my backyard sounds good to me. 

I spent the weekend in Austin. We were near South Congress. We spent an afternoon "scootering" around the area/parks on these electric scooters.  (that is a blast BTW)....but the homeless was EVERYWHERE.  You could smell the urine in some locations. People sleeping everywhere.  Beaumont is no where near that, but they could be in near future.......

And people question why people are leaving Beaumont and populating these smaller surrounding towns.....

Cities like Austin, Portland, and a couple others have glorified homelessness, and in those cities, you probably are not going to fix the homeless problem. 

It there a clear, cut-n-dry way to solve the problem... nope, but you have to start somewhere.  Where that is.... I'm not sure.  I'll leave that up to people who are more experienced.

43 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

Equivalent except the homeless are US citizens. Also, the illegal migrants for the most part are coming over to work. 

1 hour ago, thetragichippy said:

Where do you put them?

People will always feed them.  You can't put them in prison......and even if you could, we don't have the space

Not sure on where to put them, but I can tell ya one place they won’t  be….my property.

@SmashMouthmentioned earlier about spiritual healing…….I ll go a step further everyone from the elites to the homeless need it.

The U.S. has made everything too easy.
We (as in the people) have taken for granted the freedoms and laws in which we have and now they’re so to speak our detriment.

We have become a country of bail outs.

do we even have standards anymore?

Where do you put them?

1. Rehab

2. Mental health facility

3. To work

One thing you mustn't do is push them aside like social pariahs. Like non-humans. If you're going to do that, Hell, just exterminate them so you don't have to look at them anymore. I know you don't mean to do that, but just turning a blind eye won't help anything long term.

Well when a town embraces “keep Austin weird” what did ya expect.

I used to like going to Austin but what started out as just a saying has now turned reality in a bad way.  Embracing ways of the left and this is what you get.  Beaumont is on its way.  People are leaving for numerous reasons….crime, schools, taxes….

only way for it to change is for people to change…..and people aren’t disciplined enough to do that.

46 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

1. Rehab

2. Mental health facility

3. To work

1.  They refuse

2.  They refuse

3. They refuse

-that is my issue with solutions, there are not many.....and to force someone to do what they don't want to do is slippery slope. ....

Real Life Example: My father lived to 1 month before his 90th birthday, Always a VERY independent self made man. At around 85-86 he had no business driving or frankly living alone.  We thought for his safety (and others) his license should be revoked and for his well-being he should be in a nursing home. We found out, and I'm glad, it's tough to take away freedoms in this country.....My father was competent enough to say no to both of those issues.  As a result, My Father lived the remainder of his life on his terms.......and I hope to do the same.

So, what if they say no? Do we have to strip down the constitution? 

2 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

1.  They refuse

2.  They refuse

3. They refuse

-that is my issue with solutions, there are not many.....and to force someone to do what they don't want to do is slippery slope. ....

Real Life Example: My father lived to 1 month before his 90th birthday, Always a VERY independent self made man. At around 85-86 he had no business driving or frankly living alone.  We thought for his safety (and others) his license should be revoked and for his well-being he should be in a nursing home. We found out, and I'm glad, it's tough to take away freedoms in this country.....My father was competent enough to say no to both of those issues.  As a result, My Father lived the remainder of his life on his terms.......and I hope to do the same.

So, what if they say no? Do we have to strip down the constitution? 

Glad your Dad got to do it his way. I hope I get to do the same too. 

As far as the homelessness. Like I’ve said before, off the cuff, I don’t have a definitive answer. I just know that hiding it is only going to make it worse. That’s just like some places (usually large liberal cities) handing out clean needles and safe places to shoot up at the taxpayer’s expense no less. To sound like an old fart again, that’s just kicking the can down the road. 

I get your point and @bullets13’s point. It’s better to restrict it to a centralized less populated area away from schools and neighborhoods, etc.  Maybe I’m just being naive that there is at least hope for some of these people. For the life of me, I just can’t buy into covering the problem with a tarp and turning a blind eye. 

22 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Glad your Dad got to do it his way. I hope I get to do the same too. 

As far as the homelessness. Like I’ve said before, off the cuff, I don’t have a definitive answer. I just know that hiding it is only going to make it worse. That’s just like some places (usually large liberal cities) handing out clean needles and safe places to shoot up at the taxpayer’s expense no less. To sound like an old fart again, that’s just kicking the can down the road. 

I get your point and @bullets13’s point. It’s better to restrict it to a centralized less populated area away from schools and neighborhoods, etc.  Maybe I’m just being naive that there is at least hope for some of these people. For the life of me, I just can’t buy into covering the problem with a tarp and turning a blind eye. 

One very valid argument for putting them in a centralized place is that in theory it's a lot easier to help them.  Volunteers, city programs, whatever, are going to be more effective when the majority of their targeted population to help is together, vs spread out all over the city.

4 hours ago, bullets13 said:

One very valid argument for putting them in a centralized place is that in theory it's a lot easier to help them.  Volunteers, city programs, whatever, are going to be more effective when the majority of their targeted population to help is together, vs spread out all over the city.

I agree 100%. But offer more than just a place to get them out of the way. It’s definitely a tough situation. 

On 10/3/2023 at 2:57 PM, bullets13 said:

It’s a smart idea …..I agree with that

same sentiments of what smashmouth said

But Many citizens are fed up with paying for people s lack of discipline and that includes politicians 1st and foremost on both sides of the isle and what the allocate taxes for.
the government has grown based on undisciplined politicians and undisciplined citizens who lack appropriate standards to function properly as a unit….and that’s all humanity.

It has pressured the traditional house close to extinction. 

the homeless issue is just one of many 

Taking away personal responsibility is what big govt is good at and it removes a foundational cornerstone that human beings need.