West Orange-Stark (20) @ Port Neches-Groves (26) - FINAL

jdawg03

1 minute ago, navydawg31 said:

Did he play on the JV last year?? 

1 minute ago, navydawg31 said:

Did he play on the JV last year?? 

Not sure brother Ill find out. Just know the kid is a gunslinger thats a littler different style than PNG is used to. Really great mechanics and a lightening quick release. He has a lot of power and accuracy. 

6 minutes ago, Fast Turtle said:

He is going to be a good one. But they need to let home sling it around more and possibly put #19 at WR. This was my first PNG game to watch other than state last year. PNG did not feel comfortable calling pass plays at all tonight.

Agree, he's smart too. A little small but very quick. With Shea as a target and Nunley he will be strong. chase Johnson on some offense would be nice.

9 minutes ago, Fast Turtle said:

He is going to be a good one. But they need to let home sling it around more and possibly put #19 at WR. This was my first PNG game to watch other than state last year. PNG did not feel comfortable calling pass plays at all tonight.

Agree, he's smart too. A little small but very quick. With Shea as a target and Nunley he will be strong. chase Johnson on some offense would be nice.

4 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

Not sure brother Ill find out. Just know the kid is a gunslinger thats a littler different style than PNG is used to. Really great mechanics and a lightening quick release. He has a lot of power and accuracy. 

I watched highlights of him tonight, to step in when he did to lead his team to a tough hard fought victory. Kudos to the young man! As the game went on he was getting better, and he’s got a great running back to lean on. Keep him as QB1 and let Shea go back to WR! PNG will be just fine for for the foreseeable future! 

9 minutes ago, Fast Turtle said:

WOS could have and really should have won this game.  I think their lines (D-Line mainly) faded a bit there at the end. But my major observation was the number of holding calls. It seemed like there were more holding calls in this one game than I saw called in all of last season put together. I wondered last season, pretty much every game, what does one have to do to get flagged for holding? Tonight was the opposite. Flags all over the place. 

Anyway, good game. PNG's #33 deserved the win, more than anybody. 

11 minutes ago, Bring back the 50 defense said:

Not if wos doesn't get rid of some of that coaching staff. Congrats to png. They hung in there and pulled it out, that's why I felt like we needed 20 more Points at the half. Left too many points on the field with that weak ### play calling. I don't get band but u can make out what three pound signs mean.

Ty for the nod. but WOS equally deserved the win. Pleas dont hang your head you guys played s hell of a game. That was a fight to the very end. Its a shame someone ha to take the lump. Congrats WOS you will always have my respect, Thanks for letting us Indians hone our skills and get better with your dominate play. You have made us a better team and poked many wholes in us that we can now try and fix. I will be a Stangs fan the rest of the season, GO WIN IT ALL MUSTANG NATION<

35 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

Ty for the nod. but WOS equally deserved the win. Pleas dont hang your head you guys played s hell of a game. That was a fight to the very end. Its a shame someone ha to take the lump. Congrats WOS you will always have my respect, Thanks for letting us Indians hone our skills and get better with your dominate play. You have made us a better team and poked many wholes in us that we can now try and fix. I will be a Stangs fan the rest of the season, GO WIN IT ALL MUSTANG NATION<

U truly are a class act.u know I've always respected Nederland and PNG. Even when I played.those 2 teams has always been tough.and something u might not kno in 87 season the only L we took that year was from PNG in a scrimmage.and the hardest game was against Nederland.but it led us to a state title in which we beat the 3 team in the nation.our tradition has always been there.but that's why it's so hard for alot of us watch outsiders just change everything.

17 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

Instant classic. One that will be talked about for years. The respect between these 2 programs is what has made this rivalry real since the 80s. The atmosphere out there was like a playoff game. Quality across the board PNG. From the pregame to the Anthem to the final whistle. Pulled pork was even good.

But the loss is real. I think I'm taking this harder than losing state some years back. Mainly because I swear that we had this in the bag so many times. The penalties and mental errors on the field, cost us just as much as the bad calls and wasted opportunities on the sidelines. These kids have done so much and deserved to get the W. But we blew it.

I'll give credit to PNG. They never stopped like Nederland did. The coaches stategy was so much better than LCM. And that 50 defense is actually pretty good at stopping high powered teams. Or so I've heard. But I also believe if PNG was a state contender like last year. They would've ran all over us... like last year.

So both teams have exposed each other's weaknesses. And maybe found some strengths. This is why we play up 2 divisions before district starts. One more game to get things fixed.

Just now, dj said:

Wow, I'm glad someone sees the whole picture!!

Lol, but I wouldn't gave the Coaching a D though.bcz, for some odd reason w.o only have abt 5 plays.and even with the backup QB in the game.png wasn't trying to throw the ball.and instead of at least sending ur lbs so they wouldn't get caught been hooked.they didn't even try to adjust to help the dline out.and this trend will continue.so I will give them AN F+.

Silsbee is going to crush us and I feel awful for these kids already. They grew up dreaming of wearing that silver hat and being part of a legacy of greatness. The only thing that kept us in this game was effort from the players and their athleticism. It is so hard watching it die. Can you even sort of imagine those runs right up the gut against a real WO-S defense?

38 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Instant classic. One that will be talked about for years. The respect between these 2 programs is what has made this rivalry real since the 80s. The atmosphere out there was like a playoff game. Quality across the board PNG. From the pregame to the Anthem to the final whistle. Pulled pork was even good.

But the loss is real. I think I'm taking this harder than losing state some years back. Mainly because I swear that we had this in the bag so many times. The penalties and mental errors on the field, cost us just as much as the bad calls and wasted opportunities on the sidelines. These kids have done so much and deserved to get the W. But we blew it.

I'll give credit to PNG. They never stopped like Nederland did. The coaches stategy was so much better than LCM. And that 50 defense is actually pretty good at stopping high powered teams. Or so I've heard. But I also believe if PNG was a state contender like last year. They would've ran all over us... like last year.

So both teams have exposed each other's weaknesses. And maybe found some strengths. This is why we play up 2 divisions before district starts. One more game to get things fixed.

Serious weaknesses exposed. And a lot to be positive about for both teams. West orange is going to score a lot of points in district, and won’t be easy to score on. Silsbee and Jasper better be on notice.

I just hope png gets something together on offense. 

condolences for the loss, and as always, we’re grateful to play West Orange. ya’ll are still the class of the area, and will remain so. 

8 minutes ago, Judex said:

Can you even sort of imagine those runs right up the gut against a real WO-S defense?

I'm still confused that they get 5 yards passed the LOS... and there's nobody back there. We're all chasing behind him. That's been happening since day 1. This defense is soft like sponge. We're avg 22 points against in 3 games this season.

Last season was 21.18

2 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Why doesn’t WOS have a kicker? 

We do. He's not a great kicker like some of those I've seen for PNG over the years. Waguespack come to mind. Coaches don't seem to trust him. They feel better about the athletes and running the wildcat.

But that doesn't fix the play calls. Just because something worked great last week it's not guaranteed any game after that. The better staff focused on that all week. So we keep going to the same well, even though it's dry. That's the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. 

2 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

We do. He's not a great kicker like some of those I've seen for PNG over the years. Waguespack come to mind. Coaches don't seem to trust him. They feel better about the athletes and running the wildcat.

But that doesn't fix the play calls. Just because something worked great last week it's not guaranteed any game after that. The better staff focused on that all week. So we keep going to the same well, even though it's dry. That's the definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. 

There were a few scenarios where WOS could have put us away with a field goal, and they had more than one opportunity. It was baffling.