Texas Passes Bill Eliminating Mandatory Vehicle Inspections!

Reagan

9 hours ago, tvc184 said:

So did they raise taxes and disguise it as a convenience?

They’re gonna take the $7.50 fee from the inspectors and add it to the registration fee. It’s not going in our pocket. We’ll have to still pay the 7.50 without any service performed. I thought the Republican way was to give us money back for unnecessary government regulation. Guess not. Take a revenue stream for small business and institutionalize it. That ain’t a conservative principle. 

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

They’re gonna take the $7.50 fee from the inspectors and add it to the registration fee. It’s not going in our pocket. We’ll have to still pay the 7.50 without any service performed. I thought the Republican way was to give us money back for unnecessary government regulation. Guess not. Take a revenue stream for small business and institutionalize it. That ain’t a conservative principle. 

Blue voters are killing other blue voters in deep blue cities every day and you are taking a swing at republicans for eliminating a $7 auto inspection. OMG.    

6 hours ago, UT alum said:

News Flash: Not every Republican is a Conservative. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a Democrat switch parties and run as a Republican because he or she knows the democrats policies are so ridiculous that they want get elected as a Democrat. Hence you end up with RINOS/Uniparty. 

21 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

All I'm saying is that in a couple of years you'll drive through Vidor and see an old Mercury Topaz rolling through town without even a windshield to put an inspection sticker on.  

Write it down.  

Windshields are overrated.

45 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

Every major city that is Democrat controlled are nothing but Sanctuary Crapholes.

……until they are challenged to step up. Sanctuary is a “feel good” word. It gives the impression that someone is there for you when really they aren’t. “Smoke and mirrors. 

Back on topic; like Wildcat said, get rid of the front plate and save money there. It would also improve the look of most vehicles. This measure was viewed awhile back and they shut it down. 

13 hours ago, UT alum said:

That’s what I said.

Let me translate my comment for you.

So did they raise taxes and disguise it as a convenience?”

Disguised as a convenience. Oh look, no more worrying about the pain in the butt inspections. (and they were)

They essentially raised the government revenue stream by taking the money (which they were already charging) without paying anyone else and administrative costs. To make it more simple, they added $7.50 to the cost of registering a vehicle under the guise of being easier on people. 

Or….

They disguised a new tax as a convenience.

And to be fair in the explanation, it is not a new tax because we were paying in anyway. The only change is keeping it all to themselves.

You are wrong on the conservative principle however. 

3 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

Sounds like it to me......

I'm still paying the $7.50, except now, no service is provided

But is that bad or smart?

What service are we paying for? Did we get a product?

The claimed service was walking around the car to see if your headlights work, your tail lights work and your horn still functions. We can do that for free. If someone is inclined, he can go to the auto shop and pay them money out of his pocket and have the mechanic do the same. In fact, if you go get your oil changed, they want to charge you about $25 extra to do their umpteen point inspection. Coincidental that most lube shops do inspections? 

We had to go out of our way by taking time out of the day, and at very limited specific locations, with the state to justify a tax.

The bottom line is is that they raised taxes without raising taxes.

Instead of having to raise taxes elsewhere to increase revenue, they took a pain in the butt chore that we had to face and eliminated it.

Two birds with one stone? 

2 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

Yea.....I'm not mad for sure. 

You think Abbott will have any luck getting property tax lowered?  

Yeah, it’s a political hot potato so I think the legislature will try hard but any tax eliminated will have to go elsewhere.

The “elsewhere” will obviously be the problem. Who else is going to take the hit? 

I have read on several automotive forums that Texas LEO's are generally fine with it. One summed it up pretty good, saying inspections does little or nothing relative to other measure that TX should take. First is get rid of the counterfeit paper license plates that are totally out of control, and that solves a lot of problems. Then (wishful thinking) is to eliminate or greatly reduce unlicensed drivers, typically an illegal immigrant in a decrepit $500 car with zero insurance. Taking these off the road would be far, far more beneficial than any inspections.      

On 6/8/2023 at 9:54 PM, Separation Scientist said:

I have read on several automotive forums that Texas LEO's are generally fine with it. One summed it up pretty good, saying inspections does little or nothing relative to other measure that TX should take. First is get rid of the counterfeit paper license plates that are totally out of control, and that solves a lot of problems. Then (wishful thinking) is to eliminate or greatly reduce unlicensed drivers, typically an illegal immigrant in a decrepit $500 car with zero insurance. Taking these off the road would be far, far more beneficial than any inspections.      

I have seen many vehicles with whiskey dents, non-functional brake lights, no bumper, and toting paper plates. I always wonder if they went on a used car lot thinking, “That’s the car for me!” Lmao