Pressbox Changes at Nederland

lcm93

5 hours ago, KF89 said:

Like i said time will tell. I have also seen the issues at EVERY school. One thing for sure that will happen is the Admins & school board will have a big celebration with all the news stations at the ribbon cutting for the opening of the new high school, they will take all the credit, pat each other on the back, retire & then blame the city residents for not passing a bigger bond, paying enough taxes when things start going wrong, the truths that were hidden during the construction start coming out or buildings start sinking into the canal in a few years..... 

Is the sinking building info from Kline? Hate to say it but I read his Blog weekly. Not only does he stretch the truth but he's way off the mark....often.

9 hours ago, Bigdog said:

He was against the bond from the start, just like the one they tried to pass years before, and he is still butt hurt about it so he continues to attack it because he lost big time.   As far as the bond goes itself, nothing goes  perfectly and covid through a wrench in everything for at least a year and a half.  I have seen the  some of the elementary pictures and it looks very good, and I am sure the high school will be as well when its done.   Unlike Klien , I have been all over all of those schools (including the mechanical spaces and the ceilings/attics ) and have seen what kind of state they were in, it was time for some improvements.   

I don’t really care about the press box, but the schools look like crap.  Piece milled together and none of it matches or flows.  Yes it’s better than it was, but still a short sighted attempt to do something instead of doing it right.  

I was blown away this week walking into Port Neches Intermediate.  It’s truly state of the art.  PNG tore down 6 schools and built 4 brand new.  I know they have a bigger tax base, but they spend money the right way thinking ahead for the future.  I still don’t wear purple, but I’m thankful my kids do.  

10 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

I don’t really care about the press box, but the schools look like crap.  Piece milled together and none of it matches or flows.  Yes it’s better than it was, but still a short sighted attempt to do something instead of doing it right.  

I was blown away this week walking into Port Neches Intermediate.  It’s truly state of the art.  PNG tore down 6 schools and built 4 brand new.  I know they have a bigger tax base, but they spend money the right way thinking ahead for the future.  I still don’t wear purple, but I’m thankful my kids do.  

The additions were done like that for a reason,  so when the time comes they can tear down the old schools and not damage the new additions.  There were two proposed versions of the bond,  one to replace all of the elementary schools and one for the new high school and add on to the elementary schools.  We will probably see another bond in about 10 years to replace the elem schools and maybe the middle schools.

18 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

The additions were done like that for a reason,  so when the time comes they can tear down the old schools and not damage the new additions.  There were two proposed versions of the bond,  one to replace all of the elementary schools and one for the new high school and add on to the elementary schools.  We will probably see another bond in about 10 years to replace the elem schools and maybe the middle schools.

I don’t see Central being torn down and replaced.. but I can say 100% for sure CO Wilson will be torn down and replaced 1 day… I still think they did it wrong by building a new HS instead of the elementary route… but that’s just my opinion. I mean hell the new HS will be smaller than the current one so we will be piecing that one together in the future too. 

2 hours ago, Bigdog said:

I get it.  They should have cut out some schools and combined like PNG did.  Next bond will be more piece milled and trying to match old construction.  One of the main people fighting to keep all 4 elementaries for historic reasons, pulled their kids from the district and currently go to school out of state. I just don’t agree with how it was done.  

Also they have used almost every bit of land they had available at the elementaries.  How are they going to tear down the old schools and build new when they have no land left?  What do you do with the kids in the 2-3 years it takes to build new?

16 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Also they have used almost every bit of land they had available at the elementaries.  How are they going to tear down the old schools and build new when they have no land left?  What do you do with the kids in the 2-3 years it takes to build new?

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production

It would have to be done in stages. Take one of the centrally located schools. Move all those students to the surrounding schools. Tear it to the ground and build up. Many times the footprint is small for a large building supporting multiple businesses and or families. Think of it like this. All the wasted real estate space for acres of parking lots at NRG. Versus the parking garages around the Woodlands pavilion. People need to think upward and not out. I had this idea because of the other topic on the man losing his home to some ???-ISD's parking lot.