Little Cypress-Mauriceville 63 vs. Bullard 60/FINAL

To some extent this game will tell us how good District 19 is. 

Jasper played a great game against 22nd ranked Hamshire with lead changes in the second half.

Lumberton was simply overmatched against 15th ranked Hawks who seem to be getting better with each outing.  But the Raiders did have a brave first quarter, good enough to make coach Davis fuss at his players.  The starting 5 compared pretty well with Hawks.  But they simply couldn't maintain the tempo that would have been needed to make a 4 quarter game of it.  They just don't have enough help coming off the bench.  

LCM handled Hargrave with no serious trouble at all.  

Actually it's Silsbee was the one that didn't meet expectations.  The Tigers scored plenty of points but led by only 13 midway through the 3rd against lowly 4th seed Liberty which didn't have a winning record in district.  I predicted a 30 point game but I didn't foresee what would happen in the first 3 quarters, the amazing 1st and the lackluster 2nd and 3rd.

So far so good.  But this game to me is the tale of the tape so to speak.  If LCM can make a good showing against 16th ranked Bullard, and I think they will, then we'll have no more talk about how weak 19 is.  Sure, we don't compare to the richly endowed urban and suburban 4A districts but we are a good rural district.  Remember, it was District losses that knocked LCM out of the top 25.

2 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

To some extent this game will tell us how good District 19 is. 

Jasper played a great game against 22nd ranked Hamshire with lead changes in the second half.

Lumberton was simply overmatched against 15th ranked Hawks who seem to be getting better with each outing.  But the Raiders did have a brave first quarter, good enough to make coach Davis fuss at his players.  The starting 5 compared pretty well with Hawks.  But they simply couldn't maintain the tempo that would have been needed to make a 4 quarter game of it.  They just don't have enough help coming off the bench.  

LCM handled Hargrave with no serious trouble at all.  

Actually it's Silsbee was the one that didn't meet expectations.  The Tigers scored plenty of points but led by only 13 midway through the 3rd against lowly 4th seed Liberty which didn't have a winning record in district.  I predicted a 30 point game but I didn't foresee what would happen in the first 3 quarters, the amazing 1st and the lackluster 2nd and 3rd.

So far so good.  But this game to me is the tale of the tape so to speak.  If LCM can make a good showing against 16th ranked Bullard, and I think they will, then we'll have no more talk about how weak 19 is.  Sure, we don't compare to the richly endowed urban and suburban 4A districts but we are a good rural district.  Remember, it was District losses that knocked LCM out of the top 25.

First of all, Jasper did not play a great game Tuesday night. I was there. Hardly great. Had they played great, they would have won by 10 or more.

What weak talk are you speaking of in regards to district 19?

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

First of all, Jasper did not play a great game Tuesday night. I was there. Hardly great. Had they played great, they would have won by 10 or more.

What weak talk are you speaking of in regards to district 19?

From acquaintances and even family from around the state, even locally.  Silsbee doesn't have any real competition, that sort of thing.  Mostly their frame of reference is the old days before the loss of HJ and then the loss of HF.  And in rebuttal I reply that if Silsbee is in a rebuilding year they may not win the district and cite the Covid year.  

I was just following watching the Jasper score online.  They were holding their own against a 22nd ranked runner up way with the lead changing hands.  Sounded to me like they were doing about as well could be expected.  I figured the Bulldogs would play well and keep it close but not be able to pull it out.  From the two games I watched they had trouble protecting the ball, some questionable passing decisions, and it was something that would be difficult for them to fix and would ultimately be their undoing.  Is that what happened?

43 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

From acquaintances and even family from around the state, even locally.  Silsbee doesn't have any real competition, that sort of thing.  Mostly their frame of reference is the old days before the loss of HJ and then the loss of HF.  And in rebuttal I reply that if Silsbee is in a rebuilding year they may not win the district and cite the Covid year.  

I was just following watching the Jasper score online.  They were holding their own against a 22nd ranked runner up way with the lead changing hands.  Sounded to me like they were doing about as well could be expected.  I figured the Bulldogs would play well and keep it close but not be able to pull it out.  From the two games I watched they had trouble protecting the ball, some questionable passing decisions, and it was something that would be difficult for them to fix and would ultimately be their undoing.  Is that what happened?

I don’t see this district as weak at all. I watched the silsbee LCM game and my exact words were I believe LCM will go 3 rounds in the playoffs. Silsbee is just on so much of a higher level. Now I will say this I think silsbee was better or more in tune last year than this year. I could be wrong but it’s just something I was thinking as I was watching them this year.

It seems like I've seen the same district schools since I was in middle school.  LCM, Bridge City, WOS.  Some schools got bigger & moved up to 5A. Some dropped to 3A.  Some schools closed.  The district has not been that strong in 20 years. In that time frame Silsbee has been to the final four 4 or 5 times, and won two championships.  To make up for district play coach Sigler always plays s tough non district schedule. 

Some guy from the plex was talking about how district 19 is so weak and how the Houston district is so strong.  Obviously he has not paid attention for

long cause for Silsbee to get to the finals in SA they had to march through 4A Houston everytime.

12 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

Bears get the winner of Center/Hamshire Fannett if they win this one.

They could realistically make it to the 4th round.

Exactly.  I kind of like them to make the regional tournament if they beat Bullard.  Bullard has a good squad but if the Bears play the way they have at the end of the season, it’s winnable. 

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

I noticed the Winn kid (#0) is playing a lot better this year. In the past he was good for a few dunks and that was about it. He's actually shooting the ball pretty well this year from what I've seen.

Seems much improved.  And I still think Elliott is the best player the Bears have had since Jason Throop.  

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to Little Cypress-Mauriceville 63 vs. Bullard 60/FINAL