Lumberton vs. LaMarque Predictions?..SETXSPORTS WILL BROADCAST THIS GAME!!

KFDM COOP

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here are a couple of things for you to think about:

1. if you look at the History books, You will see that Lamarque has had alot of playoff appearances, BUT you will also see they have not made it to the State Championship every year. With that being said that means a team has beaten them, which menas they ARE beatable.

2. Another thing you will see is that the Raiders have never made the playoffs and are not really aware of LaMarques accomplishments. This can be a positive to keep the Raiders from being psyched out before the game. I hope all of the parents will keep their kids (if they are players) off of the computer this week. Keep them away from the Hype!! Let us FANS talk trash this week, players just stay focused on the objective BEATING Lamarque!! The Raider CAN win this game!! They are playing good ball right now, not real flashy, but they do what they are suppose to. I predict the Raiders to win this game!! I am not going to predict a score because I am always off.

You're saying in lumberton they quit delivering the sports page because ya'll weren't making the playoffs in years past?   ;D   I guarantee you every kid on lumberton's squad knows exactly who LM is, and what they've done in the past.  The thing that you guys have going for ya'll is that you've got nothing to lose.  History was made when lumberton made the playoffs, and again when they won their first playoff game.  This season is a success for them by anyone's standards, so the pressure will be off a little bit.  Hopefully this will relax them enough to go out there and play their game.  Who knows, anything can happen.  

I have seen both teams play several times and I think these are two very evenly matched teams.

Lamarque runs the Franklin system on offense. It is the current version of the spread that a lot of Texas HS football teams are running....think Southlake Carroll. Lots of zone reads (2 King or 3 Queen) mixed with an option attack (6/7 Zorro) and a passing game consisting of a lot of mesh routes and crossing patterns. The passing game basically consists of using the inside receiver to draw the attention of the safety and then having the QB read that to make a decision on who his primary target will be. LM's QB, Kerligan, has a good arm to throw to some very athletic receivers. Their front 7 on defense is solid and their DB's can be somewhat undisciplined. Even though LM won the state championship last year, they are NOWHERE near the powerhouse they used to be. They are absolutely beatable and lost two district games this year for the first time in forever.

Lumberton is as solid a football team as you will find in SE Texas. They are very physical on both sides of the ball. Their defense is very impressive, but they will need to move their safeties up in order to stop the medium routes that LM will throw to in their system. You cannot give LM a cushion or they will nickel and dime you to death. If Lumberton's RB can break through the first wave of defenders, he could have another big day like he did against Smiley. El Campo's RB had well over 150 yards against LM today. He is not as good as Lumberton's RB. Lumberton's offense revolves around this kid. Lumberton will need to call some screens and maybe een a little trickery to keep LM off balance.

Having said all of that....I honestly think Lumberton could pull this off and it won't be because LM will be overlooking them or taking them lightly. You don't win multiple state championships by overlooking your opponents. Lumberton is a more disciplined team and that is what carries teams deep into the playoffs.

Lumberton 24

Lamarque 21

I have seen both teams play several times and I think these are two very evenly matched teams.

Lamarque runs the Franklin system on offense. It is the current version of the spread that a lot of Texas HS football teams are running....think Southlake Carroll. Lots of zone reads (2 King or 3 Queen) mixed with an option attack (6/7 Zorro) and a passing game consisting of a lot of mesh routes and crossing patterns. The passing game basically consists of using the inside receiver to draw the attention of the safety and then having the QB read that to make a decision on who his primary target will be. LM's QB, Kerligan, has a good arm to throw to some very athletic receivers. Their front 7 on defense is solid and their DB's can be somewhat undisciplined. Even though LM won the state championship last year, they are NOWHERE near the powerhouse they used to be. They are absolutely beatable and lost two district games this year for the first time in forever.

Lumberton is as solid a football team as you will find in SE Texas. They are very physical on both sides of the ball. Their defense is very impressive, but they will need to move their safeties up in order to stop the medium routes that LM will throw to in their system. You cannot give LM a cushion or they will nickel and dime you to death. If Lumberton's RB can break through the first wave of defenders, he could have another big day like he did against Smiley. El Campo's RB had well over 150 yards against LM today. He is not as good as Lumberton's RB. Lumberton's offense revolves around this kid. Lumberton will need to call some screens and maybe een a little trickery to keep LM off balance.

Having said all of that....I honestly think Lumberton could pull this off and it won't be because LM will be overlooking them or taking them lightly. You don't win multiple state championships by overlooking your opponents. Lumberton is a more disciplined team and that is what carries teams deep into the playoffs.

Lumberton 24

Lamarque 21

i think l town pulls it off with a 28-24 victory go raiders

If the game is Friday or Saturday, me & family will be there supporting the Raiders.  I'm a Big PNG fan, but come playoff time I cheer and attend most games from our fellow area competitors.  PNG played LM the first game of the season.  If we would have been running the type of offense now back then, who knows what the outcome would of been.  I believe L-Town wins on heart alone.  28-14.

Hey PATITAN, We are LM Cougars Whoooooosh I mean SQOOOOOSH!!! The L-Train keeps rolling.

If the game is Friday or Saturday, me & family will be there supporting the Raiders.  I'm a Big PNG fan, but come playoff time I cheer and attend most games from our fellow area competitors.  PNG played LM the first game of the season.  If we would have been running the type of offense now back then, who knows what the outcome would of been.  I believe L-Town wins on heart alone.  28-14.

Hey PATITAN, We are LM Cougars Whoooooosh I mean SQOOOOOSH!!! The L-Train keeps rolling.

thanks for the support! we need as much of it as we can get! when we got back into lumberton lastnight, we had a HUGE caravan of ambulances and cop cars to bring us back to the highschool, where basically all of the ppl that went to the game, were waiting on us! it was great, so to the fans. keep it up!

I don't think it will be an upset is LM wins, I just think Lumberton is the better team. After watching both teams and seeing many hours of film on both teams, Lumberton is more disciplined and executes their game plan better. LM can cover up for their mistakes with their athleticism, but when you reach this round of the playoffs, execution is what wins.

Everyone is right LM is not the team of old.....they sputtered throughout the whole season....but they seem to have put it together today against a pretty darn good El Campo team.......if the team continues to play like they did today....I will have to take the Coogs......see you guys at the game......

I don't think it will be an upset is LM wins, I just think Lumberton is the better team. After watching both teams and seeing many hours of film on both teams, Lumberton is more disciplined and executes their game plan better. LM can cover up for their mistakes with their athleticism, but when you reach this round of the playoffs, execution is what wins.

that was sarcasm.  and when you reach this round of the playoffs every year (and much farther, generally), i think execution isn't very much of an issue. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

La Marque Football

Team Stats

Total yards    First downs    Rushing yards    Yds/Att    Passing yards    Yds/Catch

3262            151              1369                4.09        1893                13.06

Lumberton Football Raiders

Team Stats

Total yards    First downs    Rushing yards    Yds/Att    Passing yards    Yds/Catch

3633              199            2457                5.92        1176                14.34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

La Marque Football

Team Stats

3262             151              1369                 4.09        1893                13.06

Lumberton Football Raiders

Team Stats

3633              199             2457                 5.92        1176                14.34

Personally I think if L-town plays like they did against Nederland they will be virtually unstoppable and go all the way to state. We did a number on Smiley but I still feel that at the Nederland game the boys executed better than any other game this year. Lumberton will beat La Marque, it's in the stars. L-town 33 L-Mar 17.

I am surprised that so many people are picking Lumberton here. I gotta go with LaMarque in this one. I think they will limit the Raider ground game and force them to pass. I will be pulling for the L-Train, but my pick is LaMarque by 14.

Dont be surprised Jake... This is a Southeast Teaxs message board so the Southeast Texans will pick the Southeast Texas' school.  Everyone wants to see Lumberton do well... Everyone loves an underdog!!!

If Lumberton can win this game, they will show that they are for real.

anim_lol.gifanim_lol.gifanim_lol.gif

How many times will Lumberton hear this...

Win this one and you are for real...

They beat....

Dayton, then Central, and then finally Nederland, but one fact remains...

Lumberton has only beaten one playoff team this year (the Broncos) in the regular season.

Smiley wouldn't have gotten 5th place in 22-4A, but the Raiders sure took care of business in their first playoff game.

This game is the real deal for Lumberton.

This will be by far the best team they have played.

They have risen to the occasion on practically every "big game" they have had (with the exception of the PN-G game).

The key is that Lumberton will HAVE to be able to run the ball and they will HAVE to stop the LaMarque ground game.

If Lumberton is forced into a pass game it won't bode well.

My magical mojo usually hits me around Tuesday on my predictions.

This game will be hard to predict.

The Lumberton defensive front is good enough, I believe, to match up to LaMarque.

They will be dealing with speed they haven't seen yet.

GOOD LUCK RAIDERS!

Would be AWEsome for this area if Lumberton can pull this off and knock out LaMarque.

I am surprised that so many people are picking Lumberton here. I gotta go with LaMarque in this one. I think they will limit the Raider ground game and force them to pass. I will be pulling for the L-Train, but my pick is LaMarque by 14.

I just don't want to see them to get caught up in the whole LaMarque stigma. I think LaMarque has won a LOT of playoff games because teams have the will to win, but expect to lose. Sure, they have good talent and coaching but THIS YEAR LaMarque is very beatable and Lumberton is plenty good enough to win. The only thing thats going to stop Lumberton from beating LaMarque is Lumberton. No predicitions from me really, I just hope L Town goes in with the same determination and confidence that they have had all year and they will be fine.