District favorites for 2023 (any District)?

lcm93

26 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

@Mr. Buddy Garrity who will be PAM qb next year? The soon to be sophomore? That might play a small roll on what seed they get if BH and Crosby return all theirs. 

The soon to be Senior more than likely. He would've been the starter had it not been for Wilson. Stoever has a better touch with his passes, Wilson was the better runner, in my opinion, no slight to Wilson in the passing game though 🤷🏾‍♂️

11 minutes ago, 1970 said:

No, to both of your questions. I had no thoughts at all that the refs at FBM were residents of FB, or that they were FBM alumni, just that they were hesitant to throw flags. The refs in the 2nd game threw flags. But, it don't matter now, and my memory of both games has already gotten fuzzy, anyway. 

Re your second sentence, yes, I know that, but thanks for the info.  I had two co-workers back in the 70's that were Refs for Jr High and JV games, and some smaller 1A or 2A games too if I recall correctly. They had to travel all over, and got games with smaller attendance, and they blamed it on their seniority. One of guys did get to call some pre-season scrimmages at 1 or 2 of the bigger schools; back then 4A may have been the biggest division. I don't know if the Refs now get a %-age of the gate. 

Got it, just seeking clarification on your statement that "neutral Refs and neutral field" was the difference between the first meeting and the second. It would seem to imply that the Refs were "not neutral" in the first encounter. 

I would submit that the difference was that PNG continued to improve with the new staff over the several weeks between the two meetings, while FBM was likely more of a "finished product" earlier in the season. 

4 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Got it, just seeking clarification on your statement that "neutral Refs and neutral field" was the difference between the first meeting and the second. It would seem to imply that the Refs were "not neutral" in the first encounter. 

I would submit that the difference was that PNG continued to improve with the new staff over the several weeks between the two meetings, while FBM was likely more of a "finished product" earlier in the season. 

I agree that was definitely a difference between the two meetings. Another big difference was the 11a.m. game time on a Saturday morning. PNG buses departed early, and there's no telling how late many or most of the boys stayed up. They definitely seemed to be dragging somewhat. But the team was still developing for sure. #10 was still playing mainly defense. #30 and #84, and #33 were beginning to get into the game more. They were a different team the very next game, vs Texas City, on both defense and offense.  

On 12/20/2022 at 6:04 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

9-4A DII

1. Silsbee

2. Jasper

3. WO-S

4. Hamshire-Fannett

Silsbee will return 15 starters. Key losses is QB, LB, two DB's.

HF should be as good or better than they were this year.  Unlucky to be in this stacked district.  I kind of expect a similar season to this past one, with a lot of close games between these four teams at the top.  I tend to agree that HF finished fourth, but I think 2-4 could be interchangeable, depending on factors such as injuries, grades, and how well Jasper and WOS grow into their coaches systems during their second years. 

7 hours ago, bullets13 said:

HF should be as good or better than they were this year.  Unlucky to be in this stacked district. rs. 

I think its a great thing for HF to be in a strong district. Iron sharpens iron, and makes HF stronger for the playoffs.

What you don't want is to be in a weak district like 3A is (for the moment), but I think Anahuac is growing up quickly, and OF looking pretty good too. In 4A if HF can play WOS, Silsbee and Jasper tough, that bodes well.

As for 5A-I, we have enough challenges as it is. In 5A-II PNG leads the way, but sorry to say I think 6A is hopeless for Beaumont.         

On 12/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, PN-G bamatex said:

Here are my way-too-early predictions.

9-5ADII:

1. PN-G
  2. Fort Bend Marshall
  3. Dayton
  4. Texas City

The second and third seeds are interchangeable. Texas City has the talent to do better. We'll see whether they can pair it with the coaching and execution. Until then, I think the Stingarees are the perennial fourth seed. I feel confident the Indians take the district championship next year. Jeff Joseph is building something in Port Neches. And I hate to say this (honestly), but I don't think Nederland will return to its winning ways next year.

10-4ADI:

1. LC-M
  2. Lumberton
  3. Vidor
  4. Livingston

Same as 9-5ADII. The top three are interchangeable. LC-M is my dark horse pick to win district next year. This will be Peevey's third season at the helm of the program, and I think we're going to start to see it pay off.

9-4ADII:

1. Silsbee
  2. Jasper
  3. WO-S
  4. H-F

I don't enjoy saying this. I don't think we're going to see WO-S at the top of the district again until they bring back the Mustang defense. You know, the real one. Until then, I just don't see Silsbee losing the district crown, or Jasper being dethroned as runner-up.  Hamshire-Fannett could fall out of the playoff line-up, but I suspect we'll see the Longhorns turn into the recurring fourth seed in this district.

I'm still debating the 6A and 5ADI standings. I only feel confident saying two things at this time: (1) PAM will be a contender as always (and I really hope they make a deeper run next year); and (2) I don't think West Brook or United will make much noise.

Im not sure that LCM is capable of beating Lumberton or Vidor despite the transfers they are getting. I would have it as: 

1. L-train

2. Vidor 

3. Livingston 

4. LCM or Huffman

On 12/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, PN-G bamatex said:

Here are my way-too-early predictions.

9-5ADII:

1. PN-G
  2. Fort Bend Marshall
  3. Dayton
  4. Texas City

The second and third seeds are interchangeable. Texas City has the talent to do better. We'll see whether they can pair it with the coaching and execution. Until then, I think the Stingarees are the perennial fourth seed. I feel confident the Indians take the district championship next year. Jeff Joseph is building something in Port Neches. And I hate to say this (honestly), but I don't think Nederland will return to its winning ways next year.

10-4ADI:

1. LC-M
  2. Lumberton
  3. Vidor
  4. Livingston

Same as 9-5ADII. The top three are interchangeable. LC-M is my dark horse pick to win district next year. This will be Peevey's third season at the helm of the program, and I think we're going to start to see it pay off.

9-4ADII:

1. Silsbee
  2. Jasper
  3. WO-S
  4. H-F

I don't enjoy saying this. I don't think we're going to see WO-S at the top of the district again until they bring back the Mustang defense. You know, the real one. Until then, I just don't see Silsbee losing the district crown, or Jasper being dethroned as runner-up.  Hamshire-Fannett could fall out of the playoff line-up, but I suspect we'll see the Longhorns turn into the recurring fourth seed in this district.

I'm still debating the 6A and 5ADI standings. I only feel confident saying two things at this time: (1) PAM will be a contender as always (and I really hope they make a deeper run next year); and (2) I don't think West Brook or United will make much noise.

I just don’t see Dayton ahead of FBM. FBM will be just as good if not better next season 

16 hours ago, Cherokee88 said:

Im not sure that LCM is capable of beating Lumberton or Vidor despite the transfers they are getting. I would have it as: 

1. L-train

2. Vidor 

3. Livingston 

4. LCM or Huffman

I have to agree.  Lumberton appears to have got themselves a good coach.  Vidor will be stuck, unfortunately, in mediocrity as long as nothing changes.  LCM, well, everyone is stating his worth based on one appearance in a Title game.  Remember, the PNG coach before Faircloth appeared in a Title game but...  So, this is Lumberton's as long as their coach is there.

4 hours ago, Reagan said:

I have to agree.  Lumberton appears to have got themselves a good coach.  Vidor will be stuck, unfortunately, in mediocrity as long as nothing changes.  LCM, well, everyone is stating his worth based on one appearance in a Title game.  Remember, the PNG coach before Faircloth appeared in a Title game but...  So, this is Lumberton's as long as their coach is there.

LCM has winning groups all the way down to junior tackle. Turnout is better,  kids are buying in and motivated..... The rest will follow.

It will be hard to replace Morris and Washington.  But the Bears will be disciplined.  I heard a story that Peevey took the team out to eat before a game, blew his whistle in the restaurant full of patrons, and yelled EYES to get his kids attention.  The person who told me the story said every kid on the team rolled their eyes.  Well oiled machine!

On 12/23/2022 at 3:42 PM, Reagan said:

Not only that but Lumberton has several of their skill players coming back for their third year. That alone puts them on top of the heap in my opinion

15 hours ago, Charles in Charge said:

It will be hard to replace Morris and Washington.  But the Bears will be disciplined.  I heard a story that Peevey took the team out to eat before a game, blew his whistle in the restaurant full of patrons, and yelled EYES to get his kids attention.  The person who told me the story said every kid on the team rolled their eyes.  Well oiled machine!

you're going to have a hard time trying to make a mockery of coach peevy to some of us when we came from the Great moody and crouch lol

Newton loses almost everything. Teams go through this at times. Newton will reload with a good bunch of young kids and should still be on top of their district. Newton will have a 9th grade running that may be the best to ever play for Newton. So, if we lose a few games, the Newton supporters will still support our kids,unlike the few forked tongue wavers from WOS and Nederland. 

1 hour ago, purpleeagle said:

Newton loses almost everything. Teams go through this at times. Newton will reload with a good bunch of young kids and should still be on top of their district. Newton will have a 9th grade running that may be the best to ever play for Newton. So, if we lose a few games, the Newton supporters will still support our kids,unlike the few forked tongue wavers from WOS and Nederland. 

I have heard that as well. Was the RB wearing #2 this year in the 8th grade? Playing QB at the beginning of the year? 

11 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

I have heard that as well. Was the RB wearing #2 this year in the 8th grade? Playing QB at the beginning of the year? 

Yes but coach said he will be running back next year. He is the kid that was in the 6 th gr. and coach said he was good enough to play JV ball.     
In the 6th grade he played on a team that went to the championship game played in calif. and won and he was MVP player of the game. He is just as good on defense as on offense. 

20 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

Yes but coach said he will be running back next year. He is the kid that was in the 6 th gr. and coach said he was good enough to play JV ball.     
In the 6th grade he played on a team that went to the championship game played in calif. and won and he was MVP player of the game. He is just as good on defense as on offense. 

I have seen him. My son played against him earlier this year. 

On 12/27/2022 at 5:52 AM, purpleeagle said:

Was he playing in the Kountze 8th game?  It took nfl quality time keepers in that last minute of the game to allow Newton the last second win.  

On 12/23/2022 at 8:07 PM, setxathlete14 said:

LCM has winning groups all the way down to junior tackle. Turnout is better,  kids are buying in and motivated..... The rest will follow.

Let them talk their noise. Let's see how 7 on 7 plays out and if they have 300 to 400 kids in the weight room again this summer. Then people can make their predictions.

37 minutes ago, Tiger90 said:

Was he playing in the Kountze 8th game?  It took nfl quality time keepers in that last minute of the game to allow Newton the last second win.  

The kids is legit though they do not have much around him in the 8th grade. My son's team beat them 42-12. The Newton QB/RB ran a punt back after a 1st series punt and scored a TD on the last series of the game. 

I suspect as he moves through HS, Newton will put the pieces around him.

8 hours ago, Tiger90 said:

Yes, that is how we win all our games. We bring our score keepers and referees with us. We pay them good.

4 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

I believe he was talking about Jr. High and Kountze more often than not over the years has decent Jr. High teams. It’s the getting the success to high school that has been the issue.

That is what I was talking about as well. I would be willing to place a large wager that the all-time record of Newton 8th vs Kountze 8th is overwhelmingly in favor of Newton.