Wos at Newton sept 16

lcm93

17 hours ago, Reagan said:

I haven't decided which way I'm going on this one.  But, let me put this out there:  Newton is not PNG!  So...

I agree, Newton is not PNG. Newton has 260 kids in the entire high school, while PNG probably has more that 260 kids in each grade. The sad thing is, Newton could hang with PNG, if not beat them some years. In the past, Newton has beaten WOS in some of the years WOS beats PNG. I do believe PNG beats Newton if they were to play this year, and I do not want to get into this argument, but don't think PNG is a lot better than newton, as though they should be. 

For WOS and Newton... this will be a good game. Newton played great against Jasper. However, Jasper had zero offense, no game plan, and looked like backyard football. So, I can't really judge anything off that game. WOS will be a lot better on offense than what Jasper showed. 

4 hours ago, Fast Turtle said:

I agree, Newton is not PNG. Newton has 260 kids in the entire high school, while PNG probably has more that 260 kids in each grade. The sad thing is, Newton could hang with PNG, if not beat them some years. In the past, Newton has beaten WOS in some of the years WOS beats PNG. I do believe PNG beats Newton if they were to play this year, and I do not want to get into this argument, but don't think PNG is a lot better than newton, as though they should be. 

For WOS and Newton... this will be a good game. Newton played great against Jasper. However, Jasper had zero offense, no game plan, and looked like backyard football. So, I can't really judge anything off that game. WOS will be a lot better on offense than what Jasper showed. 

My friend, my statement about PNG was a game/season only statement.  Again, i was trying to convey that if people were thinking that WOS should be the underdog against Newton just because the way they looked against PNG, well, I think they may be a little misguided.  And it's not about school size.  It's performance and coaching related.  Does Newton have a better coach than WOS?  Well, this remains to be seen.  I know they both have decent athletes!  Can anyone deny this?  

On 9/11/2022 at 8:02 AM, lostaussie said:

Wow. You guys are down on the Stangs early this year. It's hard to lose a legendary coach. The new coach doesn't do it the way it's been done forever.  Give him some time to put his stamp on the program.  Sometimes change is hard.......but it's better. 

I could agree with this if it were the offense being "tinkered" with. The defense didn't need his "stamp". Its been good for 45 years.

Besides, I'm not sure what his "stamp" would be. He's never been a HC. He previously was at WOS so I'm not sure how proven his system is or how in the world it would be different from the one he was coaching under before he got that job.

12 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

I could agree with this if it were the offense being "tinkered" with. The defense didn't need his "stamp". Its been good for 45 years.

Besides, I'm not sure what his "stamp" would be. He's never been a HC. He previously was at WOS so I'm not sure how proven his system is or how in the world it would be different from the one he was coaching under before he got that job.

Just in case the new coach "doesnt know anything about defense" and "just started coaching this year", where exactly do you believe the kids are "lining up that they do not know how to play"? Did something change for MLBs? Did filling the gaps change? OLBs? Did something change for the DTs? Are they still playing 5, 4i? 0,1,2 or 3? Do they not know how to play the new positions? DBs still covering WRs? Did they forget how to cover WRs? Or did the new coach tell them not to cover WRs? 

What "system" is he running that is "not proven"? All defenses are successful when the players execute. 

West Orange Stark will be just fine this year. Just because they lost to PNG does not mean they have significant problems. Heck, they lost to a good, larger program. You can't win them all and a lot of good may come from that loss. I see WOS edging out Newton this Friday, and making a deep run in the playoffs. For my Newton Eagles, win or loose, this game will help Newton become a stronger team. I believe Newton will play hard Friday and make it a game. The 3A-D2 teams will have a very difficult time in beating the Eagles this year. 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Just in case the new coach "doesnt know anything about defense" and "just started coaching this year", where exactly do you believe the kids are "lining up that they do not know how to play"? Did something change for MLBs? Did filling the gaps change? OLBs? Did something change for the DTs? Are they still playing 5, 4i? 0,1,2 or 3? Do they not know how to play the new positions? DBs still covering WRs? Did they forget how to cover WRs? Or did the new coach tell them not to cover WRs? 

What "system" is he running that is "not proven"? All defenses are successful when the players execute. 

It's the DC not the HC. But the HC made the hire, so it's on him too. 

Violent outbursts from coaches towards player cannot be acceptable in any school.

Someone should start a petition to have this coach removed from his position immediately. Sound familiar???

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Ah, I was waiting for that. Its the players fault, right. Eight of which played pretty well in the 50 last year. Nice rant BTW.

I dont have a problem with the new head man. I just have to question the decision to change something that worked right out the gate. I'm a grown man, I will question what I question.

1 hour ago, Gasilla said:

Ah, I was waiting for that. Its the players fault, right. Eight of which played pretty well in the 50 last year. Nice rant BTW.

I dont have a problem with the new head man. I just have to question the decision to change something that worked right out the gate. I'm a grown man, I will question what I question.

I really do not know what is going on over there at WOS. But, if it were me, I don't believe I would have changed up many things that has worked so well for so long. That defense is killer when the personnel is there as whole. Then again, us as fans, need to give more time to new coaches and see if their changes pay off. Time will tell. Again, I do not know what all is taking place over there. 

1 hour ago, Fast Turtle said:

But, if it were me, I don't believe I would have changed up many things that has worked so well for so long.

This^^^ is what we thought too. When I saw the preview saying "Multiple Fronts", I figured it would be the same D with with different looks to confuse the opponent. Not our own players. So for those who have said its the players... WRONG. These same players excelled in the system for years. Anyone who learned from the former coaches still knows how to play the game. The truth will be when the 9th grade is the upperclassmen.

Just now, GUNHO said:

You don't tamper with things that are not broke.Just trying to put his stamp on this team and I don't think It's going to work.You don't usually drop out of top 10 when your at #4 because of a loss.Someone else is paying attention too.

And for the guy sitting at home smiling cuz he knows the tradition continues. Gotta be a lil... "I told u so"

6 hours ago, Gasilla said:

Got it. We both "question what we question". Just trying to figure out if the players are still lining up on DL and LB. What part of it is different that they cannot figure it out? 

Also, what is their record? Has WOS ever lost a game to a larger school in the past? Still ended up good?

4 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Got it. We both "question what we question". Just trying to figure out if the players are still lining up on DL and LB. What part of it is different that they cannot figure it out? 

Also, what is their record? Has WOS ever lost a game to a larger school in the past? Still ended up good?

I dont know if there not figuring it out or it just doesn't fit. Why change it?  That's the question. 

Sure we lost to bigger schools. We're 20-8 all time against PNG and they've been bigger than us in most of those. Are you saying that's why our defense is bad? Because PNG is bigger?

The last 2 games, we've given up 6-7 yards a carry between the tackles. That's never happened.

4 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

I dont know if there not figuring it out or it just doesn't fit. Why change it?  That's the question. 

Sure we lost to bigger schools. We're 20-8 all time against PNG and they've been bigger than us in most of those. Are you saying that's why our defense is bad? Because PNG is bigger?

The last 2 games, we've given up 6-7 yards a carry between the tackles. That's never happened.

No idea "why change it". Seems like they have a decent record. PNG is also a decent team capable of beating a smaller school. Are you saying WOS coaches are less knowledgeable than the fanbase? Novices? Dont know defenses?

Perhaps they know the exact depth and ability of particular positions? Do they have more LBs? Less DLs? or vice versa? They see the kids practice. I wouldnt be surprised if the "yards between the tackles" changed throughout the year. 

7 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

I wouldnt be surprised if the "yards between the tackles" changed throughout the year. 

Well this Friday will be a good test of that theory.

Another thing that came up in conversation today. When we beat LCM on Thursday night, Coach Hickman said the staff would be taking a scouting trip the next night. It wasn't PNG

4 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Well this Friday will be a good test of that theory.

Another thing that came up in conversation today. When we beat LCM on Thursday night, Coach Hickman said the staff would be taking a scouting trip the next night. It wasn't PNG

I wonder who that could have been..! Someone he must be more worried about..😂🤣

8 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

No idea "why change it". Seems like they have a decent record. PNG is also a decent team capable of beating a smaller school. Are you saying WOS coaches are less knowledgeable than the fanbase? Novices? Dont know defenses?

Perhaps they know the exact depth and ability of particular positions? Do they have more LBs? Less DLs? or vice versa? They see the kids practice. I wouldnt be surprised if the "yards between the tackles" changed throughout the year. 

The records irrelevent. 

I'm not saying anything about what the coaches know.

Do you think all coaches are outstanding with infinite knowledge? If so, why are some great and others not? Why do some run a certain style of defense and others a different style? Obviously, there can be problems with what coaches know. Do you think a coach with no experience knows more than a coach with 50 years of experience? Heck, since we're asking questions, what about a coach with no experience compared to a coach with 50 years and headed to the Hall Of Fame?

In the case of WOS, I have no idea why they changed from what's been successful for 45 years. It may have nothing to do with knowledge. It could be pride. Maybe he wants it to be HIS. Maybe he doesn't want to be under the shadow of the past. Is that the right reason to change? Is that fair to the kids?

Lots of questions.

1 minute ago, Gasilla said:

The records irrelevent. 

Do you think all coaches are outstanding with infinite knowledge? If so, why are some great and others not? Why do some run a certain style of defense and others a different style? Obviously, there can be problems with what coaches know. Do you think a coach with no experience knows more than a coach with 50 years of experience? Heck, since we're asking questions, what about a coach with no experience compared to a coach with 50 years and headed to the Hall Of Fame?

In the case of WOS, I have no idea why they changed from what's been successful for 45 years. It may have nothing to do with knowledge. It could be pride. Maybe he wants it to be HIS. Maybe he doesn't want to be under the shadow of the past. Is that the right reason to change? Is that fair to the kids?

Lots of questions.

That's where I'm leaning.Can't think of any other reason.

9 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

The records irrelevent. 

Lots of questions.

"The records irrelevant"? The record is the "only thing that is relevant". I have never seen "yards between tackles" on a coach's record. If WOS makes a deep playoff run, there will be no memory of the "yards between the tackles" in week 2 and 3.