Santa fe at vidor sept 2

lcm93

On 8/30/2022 at 7:55 AM, Hagar said:

I get the impression that some think the spread is the answer to everything.  Most teams run the spread and guess what?  There’s still winners & losers.  So last year Vidor & the Slot T won 8 games.  Most, if not all 8 of those teams Vidor beat ran the spread.  If you like the spread because you think it’s exciting, that’s one thing.  If you think Vidor goes to the spread and voila, the Pirates are the equivalent of North Shore, that just isn’t the case.

I too question the play calling, but last Friday here’s what I didn’t see - When the Pirates ran a play I rarely saw a Tiger on the ground.  In years past, the blocking would have several defenders down virtually every play.  I saw way to many missed tackles & broke tackles.  Not so last year.  In my humble opinion, it doesn’t matter if your running the Slot T, the Spread, the “I”, or the Wishbone, if you aren’t blocking and tackling you aren’t going to win football games.

So here’s my humble opinion.  What we saw last Friday had little to do with what type offense, and more to do with mental preparedness and execution.  I certainly hope to see a whole new Pirate team this coming Friday.  I think we have the talent, but somehow, someway, Coach Matthews has to instill the “want to” to win.

It's is not about running the spread or the slot T, in fact with rule changes to blocking we can do very little cutting anymore which is why you didn't see many tigers on the ground Friday. We don't truly run the slot T anymore there is no mis direction it is all straight forward here we come, mis direction is what makes the slot T work never knowing who has the ball linebackers have to fill gaps instead of running to the ball every play. My thoughts on this is we don't develop qbs it's a new kid every yr so they are learning the offense on the fly instead of having a kid that played it since a freshman and knows it like the back of his hand. By no means do I believe we need to line up in shotgun with 5 wrs but also given time and working on it I think we got the kids that could do it. What I am saying though if we are going to run the slot T than run the true slot T not a knocked down version of it that makes it easy to defend, and for the love of god when we do try to throw why would you think it is a good idea to roll the qb left against his throwing shoulder 

12 minutes ago, astros4141078 said:

It's is not about running the spread or the slot T, in fact with rule changes to blocking we can do very little cutting anymore which is why you didn't see many tigers on the ground Friday. We don't truly run the slot T anymore there is no mis direction it is all straight forward here we come, mis direction is what makes the slot T work never knowing who has the ball linebackers have to fill gaps instead of running to the ball every play. My thoughts on this is we don't develop qbs it's a new kid every yr so they are learning the offense on the fly instead of having a kid that played it since a freshman and knows it like the back of his hand. By no means do I believe we need to line up in shotgun with 5 wrs but also given time and working on it I think we got the kids that could do it. What I am saying though if we are going to run the slot T than run the true slot T not a knocked down version of it that makes it easy to defend, and for the love of god when we do try to throw why would you think it is a good idea to roll the qb left against his throwing shoulder 

Agree, and agree.  It’s not the same Slot T we’ve been running.  And like you, why have the kid passing rolling to the left is inexplicable.  I watched the video of the 2019 game against Crosby were we passed more than I ever remember (about 260 yards).  All were rolling to the right or drop back.  And the kids blocking last year put defenders on the ground.  Did the rules just change?  And now our go to play is what was referred to as “student body left” (or right).  And for heaven sakes, throw a pass on first down once in a while.  And do we even have a screen pass in the playbook?

Forgive this old man.  He’s confused and frustrated.

55 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Agree, and agree.  It’s not the same Slot T we’ve been running.  And like you, why have the kid passing rolling to the left is inexplicable.  I watched the video of the 2019 game against Crosby were we passed more than I ever remember (about 260 yards).  All were rolling to the right or drop back.  And the kids blocking last year put defenders on the ground.  Did the rules just change?  And now our go to play is what was referred to as “student body left” (or right).  And for heaven sakes, throw a pass on first down once in a while.  And do we even have a screen pass in the playbook?

Yes sir the rule changed this year no more cutting outside the tackle box which really hurts because our lead blocker which is usually a running back would cut the end or linebacker which sprung the play not any more, it is just frustrating and look by no means do I think the coaches are doing anything on purpose I truly believe they feel that's the best chance we got and hell it might be the case I just think a few new wrinkles wouldn't hurt or just go back to running the true slot T 

24 minutes ago, astros4141078 said:

Yes sir the rule changed this year no more cutting outside the tackle box which really hurts because our lead blocker which is usually a running back would cut the end or linebacker which sprung the play not any more, it is just frustrating and look by no means do I think the coaches are doing anything on purpose I truly believe they feel that's the best chance we got and hell it might be the case I just think a few new wrinkles wouldn't hurt or just go back to running the true slot T 

Holy Moly - rules are getting out of hand.  Just about to the point to hang flags on everyone.  🤦😖🤦

30 minutes ago, astros4141078 said:

Crazy isn’t it….but a db can take out the knees of a wide receiver on a pass play while the receiver is defenseless trying to make a catch. Doesn’t make any sense.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Holy Moly - rules are getting out of hand.  Just about to the point to hang flags on everyone.  🤦😖🤦

Before long, the way the rules are changing, akk the players will be required to be wearing bubble wrap and at halftime they'll have to put on new rolls to make sure no bubbles are popped.😂 

On 8/30/2022 at 10:54 AM, Unwoke said:

Your spot on Hagar. They have to Run Violently, Block Violently and Tackle Violently. 
They have to play with Heart are they will not be successful this season. They have another chance to right the ship this Friday. 

Let’s Go Pirates!

Why not try to out think the other coach ? Work smarter not harder

41 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Why not try to out think the other coach ? Work smarter not harder

I Agree, I would think not being so predictable should be figured into the game plan but I don’t want to start bashing coaches. They know all the variables going on with the team way more than a fan imo. You still have to be more physical in that offense. It’s still one loss against a very good football team. 

25 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

I Agree, I would think not being so predictable should be figured into the game plan but I don’t want to start bashing coaches. They know all the variables going on with the team way more than a fan imo. You still have to be more physical in that offense. It’s still one loss against a very good football team

I agree. Not sure why some of the posters here are acting like the season is over.

18 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I agree. Not sure why some of the posters here are acting like the season is over.

Lol, not only is it one lost against a non district team that is very good but it was the first game of the season. I’d like to be optimistic that their going to learn from the loss an get better. What happens if Silsbee beats Huffman the same way? So what’s the words of wisdom to Huffman? Lol

38 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I hope I am wrong but that was the worst vidor team I have seen in along time slow and soft I hear they are moving several people around this week but if the effort doesn't get any better it's going to be along season

49 minutes ago, astros4141078 said:

I hope I am wrong but that was the worst vidor team I have seen in along time slow and soft I hear they are moving several people around this week but if the effort doesn't get any better it's going to be along season

I don’t know, I’ve seen some bad teams over the last 20 plus years. We’ll see where are after non district play. 

7 hours ago, Hagar said:

To clarify, I watched Highlight Videos of the Crosby game on MaxPreps, not the whole game, and it’s not on there now although others are.  Sorry for any confusion.

I’m getting my optimism back.  The Pirates have to much talent to let that Silsbee game define their season.  I think Santa Fe may get surprised.  Vidor still may not win, but I expect to see a different team this Friday.  Back to the old Pirate smash mouth football.  As an old fan, I don’t live & die by wins & losses.  I just want to see 100% effort & intensity.  They do that, the wins will come.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

It's not just this season I'm referring to and it's not the just the loss to Silsbee. It's the trend of steadily devolving 

I 2nd this. Was about to say the same thing. Downward spiral. The Pirate fans that watch religiously and have an open mind understand what we are saying. And for the record, Silsbee has a great team and will make alot of teams look bad this year. I also don't think the season is lost after 1 game. Lot of football left to play.......but.....we have ALOT of work to do. 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:35 AM, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

When Crueder took over the offense we started this current philosophy of how the Slot-T is ran. Every coordinator since then emulated this bad habit. It was a methodical offense under DuBois ,where he used plays to set up other plays and the first half play calling was used to open up things in the second half. They went to to hurry up because Liberty Hill went to it ! Years ago when DuBois/Mathews first Liberty Hill to learn the offense it was different but teams started figuring out how to stop it. People still believe that Vidor is incapable of running another type of offense and that's completely absurd . They tried to throw a little in the SHOT-T days but people scuffed at the idea. The truth is that the naysayers just didn't want their kids to  be there during the transition phase to endure the growing pains. They abandon the idea after one year but where has the Slot-T got us in the many years it has been installed ? If we would have spent that much time on the spread then I think we could of figured it out. Close minded

Vidor doesn't play with passion and desire anymore. Arm tackling is the norm. I don't think they are buying into the coaching philosophy anymore.

spot on. 

On 8/31/2022 at 3:37 PM, Unwoke said:

I Agree, I would think not being so predictable should be figured into the game plan but I don’t want to start bashing coaches. They know all the variables going on with the team way more than a fan imo. You still have to be more physical in that offense. It’s still one loss against a very good football team. 

agreed, i vividly remember when Barbers Hill blew Vidor out 40-6 in 2016 and ended up getting co-distrift champs with PAM and PNG. Mathews will figure it out, this is a good team thats faced a much better athletic team. 

3 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

agreed, i vividly remember when Barbers Hill blew Vidor out 40-6 in 2016 and ended up getting co-distrift champs with PAM and PNG. Mathews will figure it out, this is a good team thats faced a much better athletic team. 

Yalls 2016 team had 3-4 beasts in the backfield though. Does this years team have that? 

4 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Yalls 2016 team had 3-4 beasts in the backfield though. Does this years team have that? 

We have not been unable to produce a good backfield since then. I know some will disagree but I stand by that statement. A good backfield is pretty important in a offense that runs 99.97% of the time

On 8/30/2022 at 7:28 PM, Hagar said:

And btw, probably because I’m an old foggie but when the Slot T is ran right, I like the offense.  And IF you could ever get a QB who could run it right and was able to pass accurately, it would be virtually unstoppable.  Unfortunately, finding a kid like that is almost impossible.  Still, last year those kids made it work well.  Hope it starts working again thtis Friday. 

We arent producing running backs either. Finding a kid like that is not impossible unless you're in the slot-T