5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

56 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Yes we will, but Never count out Crosby. 

I’m going to probably hurt some feelings. Move back here and my first son graduated in 2014.  I’ve watched Crosby since about 2010.  This is the worst O-line I’ve seen and honestly the least athletic all around.  The kids do battle though.  I asked last night when I got to the game if they were healthy and I was told yep no more excuses tonight. Then I look and man something is just missing.  I’ll drive to Longview to watch, but dang I feel like it’s the worse kind of situation.  Those people trashing the defense, remember the D really only gave up 28 last night.  The offense turned it over at the 2 and they returned a kickoff for a td.  I don’t think they will hold up at all against Longview though(in the first half).  

2 hours ago, CougarCal said:

I’m going to probably hurt some feelings. Move back here and my first son graduated in 2014.  I’ve watched Crosby since about 2010.  This is the worst O-line I’ve seen and honestly the least athletic all around.  The kids do battle though.  I asked last night when I got to the game if they were healthy and I was told yep no more excuses tonight. Then I look and man something is just missing.  I’ll drive to Longview to watch, but dang I feel like it’s the worse kind of situation.  Those people trashing the defense, remember the D really only gave up 28 last night.  The offense turned it over at the 2 and they returned a kickoff for a td.  I don’t think they will hold up at all against Longview though(in the first half).  

You are correct about the O-line. I’ve been telling 14.2 that all year. They are underclassmen though. Definitely the Achilles heal. 

On 10/29/2022 at 12:16 AM, Justafan72 said:

If Porter, Crosby and BH ends 5-3,I think Porter has to win by 7,am I wrong or right.? If it's a 3 way tie, Crosby sets at +4,Porter is -5 and BH is. +1.So Porter needs to win by 6 or 7 to get in ???

It depends on how this district breaks the tie. 

Some districts go to point differential and choose the best 2. 

Other districts break the 3 way tie with point differential and then go to head to head for the last spot. 

Exact same outcome can have different results. 

34 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

It depends on how this district breaks the tie. 

Some districts go to point differential and choose the best 2. 

Other districts break the 3 way tie with point differential and then go to head to head for the last spot. 

Exact same outcome can have different results. 

It's my understanding in this district the point system is for breaking a three way tie then the remaining two go off head to head.

18 hours ago, pakronos said:

If/when PAM fumble the top seed away to KWP, who would they play?? Doesn’t matter, they got that first rd gorilla on their backs…I guess they had good season??? Lol….that’s like saying ball high world beaters till u look at who they played lol… don’t like it, keep scrolling 

Forney if PAM finishes 2nd.

On 10/29/2022 at 4:35 PM, aledoalumni said:

I think it's now "we gonna see" but tell the children not to look. 

It is what it is. If there was anybody from this district that had a chance to make a game of it with Longview it was back then and still is Crosby. One sentiment I can relay to you coming from the kids and staff is that nobody is scared. We’re also relatively healthy now. Still may get blown out considering how we’ve played to date but we’ll still be there at kickoff. 

I’ve watched the Lancaster vs Longview game 2.5 times so far and I would go so far as to say Lancaster would be the tougher matchup for Crosby because of their team speed. I looked up all the players in LV’s lineup while watching the game and noticed they’re pretty much the same size as Crosby outside of WR meaning we can probably avoid a CE King type situation. They’re just well coached with a bunch of good football players.

Not too long ago our DC was the DC at Marshall so he’s seen LV’s offense a few times. Hopefully the injuries benefit Crosby in the sense that most of our film from this year is useless. I think there’s a good chance Crosby goes out to East Texas and plays their best game of the year if that’s the matchup we end up with. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It is what it is. If there was anybody from this district that had a chance to make a game of it with Longview it was back then and still is Crosby. One sentiment I can relay to you coming from the kids and staff is that nobody is scared. We’re also relatively healthy now. Still may get blown out considering how we’ve played to date but we’ll still be there at kickoff. 

I’ve watched the Lancaster vs Longview game 2.5 times so far and I would go so far as to say Lancaster would be the tougher matchup for Crosby because of their team speed. I looked up all the players in LV’s lineup while watching the game and noticed they’re pretty much the same size as Crosby outside of WR meaning we can probably avoid a CE King type situation. They’re just well coached with a bunch of good football players.

Not too long ago our DC was the DC at Marshall so he’s seen LV’s offense a few times. Hopefully the injuries benefit Crosby in the sense that most of our film from this year is useless. I think there’s a good chance Crosby goes out to East Texas and plays their best game of the year if that’s the matchup we end up with. 

I was wondering when you would show up again, lol.

I actually agree with you that the best matchup out of your district is and has been a healthy Crosby.  A Crosby team that is just getting healthy and a few games to gel is a recipe for a really good 1st round game.  The Lancaster game was a great game and showed us several things to work on. The only thing you can’t be blind to in that game is the 6 or 7 interceptions that Longview dropped.  That won’t happen again.  Lancaster’s defense is elite and probably the best or at least top 2 in Texas in D1 but Longview prevailed. The thing Crosby better be able to do is learn to stop the run and fix your offensive line.  If you can’t stop the run or block our defense, the game will honestly be over in the first half.  I honestly don’t see that happening. I expect a solid game with Longview winning by 3 scores.

13 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The biggest difference between yall and Longview is they play defense pretty well. 

9 hours ago, kingwolf1 said:

I actually agree with you that the best matchup out of your district is and has been a healthy Crosby.  A Crosby team that is just getting healthy and a few games to gel is a recipe for a really good 1st round game.  The Lancaster game was a great game and showed us several things to work on. The only thing you can’t be blind to in that game is the 6 or 7 interceptions that Longview dropped.  That won’t happen again.  Lancaster’s defense is elite and probably the best or at least top 2 in Texas in D1 but Longview prevailed. The thing Crosby better be able to do is learn to stop the run and fix your offensive line.  If you can’t stop the run or block our defense, the game will honestly be over in the first half.  I honestly don’t see that happening. I expect a solid game with Longview winning by 3 scores.

Lancaster top 2 in the state on defense? Interesting.....

11 hours ago, kingwolf1 said:

I really didn't see 6 or 7 dropped interceptions? I saw Nelson and one of the other dbs drop one but the others looked like plays that just weren't made. I thought that sophomore QB from Lancaster played well against LV, 19-32 for 206 with one TD 0 ints and 88 rushing yards. If any of his other receivers besides #0 could catch they probably leave Lobo Stadium with a win. LV was fortunate Lancaster sucks in the kicking game too. You don't win many when your QB goes 4-10 for 70 yards with one TD and two picks. LV also got a break on the TD he threw to Hale because either the LT/TE on that side wasn't set before the ball was snapped. To your point though, good teams prevail even despite those issues. 

I think part of the reason we've looked so bad on the o-line this year is because the receivers have been banged up, meaning you can just play a bunch of guys in the box and confuse the linemen as to what their assignments should be. The receivers have been getting healthier in recent weeks which is why I think we've thrown for nearly 1,000 yards and 12 tds with 0 ints over the last three games. As far as blocking LV I think y'all have to commit personnel to the box for that to be an issue. LV doesn't have a Kam Bizor or Dylan Spencer like CE King did that could dominate individual matchups and they don't have the speed like the like the FB Marshall kids on the d-line committed to Baylor and TCU. What they do have is a great back end that buys time for kids like Billy Smith who's probably an average player at 90% of schools in the state but great in LV's scheme. All in all I think Crosby will be ok on offense if we can throw the ball accurately to open receivers while avoiding turnovers and penalties. 

Crosby struggles with the veer/slot-t type run games, not really your typical spread run game. LV runs the ball from a spread pretty often but when they don't they're usually running power and zone out of a pro set. The one play Crosby struggles with out of that set is the counter and LV doesn't really run it, or at least not in the Lancaster and Tyler games I've watched so far. I think Crosby will load the box and try to make Allen beat us with his arm. Hopefully we can pick him off a time or two like Lancaster did when he tries to force it to Hale. 

Like I've already said, we could come up there and get crop dusted from whistle to whistle but I could also see Crosby coming up there and dropping 30+ on LV and having them on the ropes in the second half. I guess that's why we have to line it up though.

23 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I really didn't see 6 or 7 dropped interceptions? I saw Nelson and one of the other dbs drop one but the others looked like plays that just weren't made. I thought that sophomore QB from Lancaster played well against LV, 19-32 for 206 with one TD 0 ints and 88 rushing yards. If any of his other receivers besides #0 could catch they probably leave Lobo Stadium with a win. LV was fortunate Lancaster sucks in the kicking game too. You don't win many when your QB goes 4-10 for 70 yards with one TD and two picks. LV also got a break on the TD he threw to Hale because either the LT/TE on that side wasn't set before the ball was snapped. To your point though, good teams prevail even despite those issues. 

I think part of the reason we've looked so bad on the o-line this year is because the receivers have been banged up, meaning you can just play a bunch of guys in the box and confuse the linemen as to what their assignments should be. The receivers have been getting healthier in recent weeks which is why I think we've thrown for nearly 1,000 yards and 12 tds with 0 ints over the last three games. As far as blocking LV I think y'all have to commit personnel to the box for that to be an issue. LV doesn't have a Kam Bizor or Dylan Spencer like CE King did that could dominate individual matchups and they don't have the speed like the like the FB Marshall kids on the d-line committed to Baylor and TCU. What they do have is a great back end that buys time for kids like Billy Smith who's probably an average player at 90% of schools in the state but great in LV's scheme. All in all I think Crosby will be ok on offense if we can throw the ball accurately to open receivers while avoiding turnovers and penalties. 

Crosby struggles with the veer/slot-t type run games, not really your typical spread run game. LV runs the ball from a spread pretty often but when they don't they're usually running power and zone out of a pro set. The one play Crosby struggles with out of that set is the counter and LV doesn't really run it, or at least not in the Lancaster and Tyler games I've watched so far. I think Crosby will load the box and try to make Allen beat us with his arm. Hopefully we can pick him off a time or two like Lancaster did when he tries to force it to Hale. 

Like I've already said, we could come up there and get crop dusted from whistle to whistle but I could also see Crosby coming up there and dropping 30+ on LV and having them on the ropes in the second half. I guess that's why we have to line it up though.

Man, I’m glad you’re back lol!

48 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I really didn't see 6 or 7 dropped interceptions?

Man alive lol.

You definitely need to go back and rewatch if you didn't see the dropped picks.

King is more than known to mix in the veer into the game plan. He loves talking about it every time he does in the post game shows.

And I do hope you load the box. It'll be a fun day for sure.

I can tell you one thing, Crosby ain't scoring 30 on us. Literally have had 8 points scored against our defense in the entire second half (had a fumble returned for a touchdown late in the 4th quarter against North Mesquite by our twos that makes the total 15 points for the year). If Crosby is going to beat us, it's going to be because of Lobo turnovers and Crosby draining the clock. Y'all's defense just is not anywhere near the defenses we've played already this year. Our offense might not be the most elite thing out there (it's still pretty dang good), but our defense is elite.

But like you said, guess that's why they line it up. Excited to welcome y'all to Lobo next week if it happens.