5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

5 minutes ago, CCRed said:

I haven’t watched them play so have no opinion, but is PAM that much improved over last year to be ranked that high ?

No. But that's personal opinion. They are improved. And more physical. This aint Lee over here. 

On 9/8/2022 at 2:32 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

I think there's a good chance Lancaster gets Longview this year. I watched both of LV's games with McKinney Boyd and Marshall and Lancaster looks better on the hoof and also faster. LV's QB still forces it to Hale and I think they're running game with Tatum is containable. They're probably smaller than FB Marshall on the defensive line and while they're dbs are highly rated it seems like there's still a good amount of space for receivers to make plays in the secondary if there's a competent QB that can get it to them.  On the flip side though, their collection of talent is so great that it really doesn't matter what they have going on right now. 

Lancaster is Lancaster.

Their defense is elite, they've struggled offensively all season. Throw in that they're averaging 96 penalty yards a game, and that they're coming to Lobo, and yea. I don't see it.

I think it's funny you think Allen is "forcing it to Hale," though. No doubt Jalen Hale and Taylor Tatum took over against McKinney Boyd, but the last two weeks have been much more spread about and team wins. 9 different receivers have caught the ball in the first three games. For Longview, that's unheard of. Hale has four catches in the last two games, yet Allen still has 20 completions in those two games.

But we'll see what happens.

16 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Lancaster is Lancaster.

Their defense is elite, they've struggled offensively all season. Throw in that they're averaging 96 penalty yards a game, and that they're coming to Lobo, and yea. I don't see it.

I think it's funny you think Allen is "forcing it to Hale," though. No doubt Jalen Hale and Taylor Tatum took over against McKinney Boyd, but the last two weeks have been much more spread about and team wins. 9 different receivers have caught the ball in the first three games. For Longview, that's unheard of. Hale has four catches in the last two games, yet Allen still has 20 completions in those two games.

But we'll see what happens.

"Forcing" the ball to someone doesn't necessarily mean the accumulation of targets or catches. Forcing it to him is when he runs a corner route, is double covered and Allen throws it anyway missing the wide open backside check down like he did against Marshall trying to hit Hale in the corner of the endzone. He did the same type stuff last year on film. We'll see how they look against MN this week but I think the game with Lancaster is going to be an interesting one simply because it'll be the first time this year y'all played someone who can match y'all athletically. 

On 9/12/2022 at 6:55 PM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

No. But that's personal opinion. They are improved. And more physical. This aint Lee over here. 

That Duncan kid at Lee is just as good as Wilson, they play nearly identical but I think Duncan may be bigger and faster? That Boston kid is just as good as any of the PAM receivers too. We should have close to everybody back by the 30th to come continue our ownership of the Golden Triangle. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

"Forcing" the ball to someone doesn't necessarily mean the accumulation of targets or catches. Forcing it to him is when he runs a corner route, is double covered and Allen throws it anyway missing the wide open backside check down like he did against Marshall trying to hit Hale in the corner of the endzone. He did the same type stuff last year on film. We'll see how they look against MN this week but I think the game with Lancaster is going to be an interesting one simply because it'll be the first time this year y'all played someone who can match y'all athletically. 

Hale is a special type of player, imo, that you do try and force some throws. But it definitely hasn't been consistently as in years past. Last two years, Jalen was the only player that Jordan would even look at. That drive against Marshall though, I do agree. One of his worst this season. He hasn't had many thankfully.

No doubt Lancaster will be a good test for us, but I see them as the same Tiger teams that we have faced the last two seasons. I hope they're as good as some believe. We need a big test like that heading into the rest of the year. They haven't been able to play within 20 points of us when we've played in their back yard the first three times, we'll see if they can when they come to our place (note, we haven't lost a district home opener in 20 years either).

On 9/14/2022 at 10:29 AM, LoboFan07 said:

Hale is a special type of player, imo, that you do try and force some throws. But it definitely hasn't been consistently as in years past. Last two years, Jalen was the only player that Jordan would even look at. That drive against Marshall though, I do agree. One of his worst this season. He hasn't had many thankfully.

No doubt Lancaster will be a good test for us, but I see them as the same Tiger teams that we have faced the last two seasons. I hope they're as good as some believe. We need a big test like that heading into the rest of the year. They haven't been able to play within 20 points of us when we've played in their back yard the first three times, we'll see if they can when they come to our place (note, we haven't lost a district home opener in 20 years either).

Tough to play in Lobo Land. 

On 9/18/2022 at 10:55 AM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Big game in 7-5AD1 this week: Lancaster at Longview.

Should decide the district title and the #1 spot come post season time.

Lobos are 50-2 all-time under coach King at home, and 99-9 in district games overall.

It's hard for me to even think Lancaster could come in here tonight and walk away with a W, but we'll see. Excited for the big challenge. Definitely the biggest left on our schedule this season.

55 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Should decide the district title and the #1 spot come post season time.

Lobos are 50-2 all-time under coach King at home, and 99-9 in district games overall.

It's hard for me to even think Lancaster could come in here tonight and walk away with a W, but we'll see. Excited for the big challenge. Definitely the biggest left on our schedule this season.

I agree.

Good luck tonight, I picked yall to win a close one. 😁

2 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Final 

Longview 21

Lancaster 13

Tigers came in with the perfect game plan. They have an impressive offense, but thankfully our defense is elite this year. I can see why they put up 70+ on McKinney North.

We had our moments and mistakes, but we overcame the test we needed. Great W.

4 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Well..........8-5A D1 just got interesting tonight. 

Man, y'all's district is crazy.

I thought it would be boring with y'all and Crosby walking away with it...but that's been completely the opposite. Crosby is staring at a real chance of missing the post season. 4 district losses for the Cougars would be insane, but it's right there if La Porte comes to play in a month or so.

And even if they get in...Crosby's looking at a trip to Lobo Stadium as the 4th place team...crazy.

4 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Man, y'all's district is crazy.

I thought it would be boring with y'all and Crosby walking away with it...but that's been completely the opposite. Crosby is staring at a real chance of missing the post season. 4 district losses for the Cougars would be insane, but it's right there if La Porte comes to play in a month or so.

And even if they get in...Crosby's looking at a trip to Lobo Stadium as the 4th place team...crazy.

I was telling a writer on Twitter it wouldn't surprise me if the district championship is November 3rd over at Turner Stadium when we face Kingwood Park. 

That La Porte at Kingwood Park game next Thursday is HUGE!!!! 

2 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

I was totally wrong about Lancaster, that team is a force and threat to win the region....

I was kind of right on LaPorte, I thought Berneathy would turn it around maybe have them in the mix for 4th...he's doing more than that! 

I got LP wrong, they seem legit now. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I got LP wrong, they seem legit now. 

The only thing I will say is if you can win in the trenches, and stop the run, LP will struggle. Their O-Line is big. Now saying that, they got the ball into the flats to speedy players. They have almost 0% deep passes. Their D-line is quick, but you move the ball on them. Overall, they’re a solid team and will surprise some folks. I’m starting to think our district will have a solid 4 teams in the playoffs. Don’t short change us.

also, their coach called some masterful plays at crucial times that worked out for them. Watch out for LP in 5A.

2 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

I was totally wrong about Lancaster, that team is a force and threat to win the region....

I was kind of right on LaPorte, I thought Berneathy would turn it around maybe have them in the mix for 4th...he's doing more than that! 

People forget that Berneathy began his coaching career at La Porte under LaReau. He was at LP from 2007-2013 before moving on to get his shot. LP has always—since I’ve been around anyway—had more consistent success when they’ve gone ‘in-house’ from the Lundin coaching tree. Lundin to Weigand to LaReau to Berneathy now. When LP has attempted to go outside with a flashy hire, it’s been utter failure (ie TJ Mills, Tarr).

We’re glad to have Berneathy back to his coaching home.