5AD1 District 8 and Region 2 discussion.

Cougtalk

3 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

Yall too. I aint got nothin against PAM. Looking forward to yalls game this weekend first! I wanna see how yall are when the field is dry! 

Hopefully we put on a show in a good way. 💪🏾🤞🏾

1 hour ago, Cougtalk said:

TBF if any team was gonna finish 4th and then beat Longview it's Crosby. We will be extreme dogs in that game tho. 

I think that is fair. A Crosby team that is healthy, can minimize mistakes, and play on the level that was predicted at the start of the year has a solid chance to be competitive when they come to Lobo. One thing is for certain, either Lobo fans have been living in a bubble this year or Crosby fans will be a little surprised when we play.

No disrespect to the rest of the talented teams in 8-5A, this is the matchup I have been looking for. Two rabid fan bases and two solid programs. I hope it plays out that we will see each other next week.  

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I really didn't see 6 or 7 dropped interceptions? I saw Nelson and one of the other dbs drop one but the others looked like plays that just weren't made. I thought that sophomore QB from Lancaster played well against LV, 19-32 for 206 with one TD 0 ints and 88 rushing yards. If any of his other receivers besides #0 could catch they probably leave Lobo Stadium with a win. LV was fortunate Lancaster sucks in the kicking game too. You don't win many when your QB goes 4-10 for 70 yards with one TD and two picks. LV also got a break on the TD he threw to Hale because either the LT/TE on that side wasn't set before the ball was snapped. To your point though, good teams prevail even despite those issues. 

I think part of the reason we've looked so bad on the o-line this year is because the receivers have been banged up, meaning you can just play a bunch of guys in the box and confuse the linemen as to what their assignments should be. The receivers have been getting healthier in recent weeks which is why I think we've thrown for nearly 1,000 yards and 12 tds with 0 ints over the last three games. As far as blocking LV I think y'all have to commit personnel to the box for that to be an issue. LV doesn't have a Kam Bizor or Dylan Spencer like CE King did that could dominate individual matchups and they don't have the speed like the like the FB Marshall kids on the d-line committed to Baylor and TCU. What they do have is a great back end that buys time for kids like Billy Smith who's probably an average player at 90% of schools in the state but great in LV's scheme. All in all I think Crosby will be ok on offense if we can throw the ball accurately to open receivers while avoiding turnovers and penalties. 

Crosby struggles with the veer/slot-t type run games, not really your typical spread run game. LV runs the ball from a spread pretty often but when they don't they're usually running power and zone out of a pro set. The one play Crosby struggles with out of that set is the counter and LV doesn't really run it, or at least not in the Lancaster and Tyler games I've watched so far. I think Crosby will load the box and try to make Allen beat us with his arm. Hopefully we can pick him off a time or two like Lancaster did when he tries to force it to Hale. 

Like I've already said, we could come up there and get crop dusted from whistle to whistle but I could also see Crosby coming up there and dropping 30+ on LV and having them on the ropes in the second half. I guess that's why we have to line it up though.

I guess you had to be there live to see it.  Most of them were honestly dead drops, it got comical there at the end. The plays for either side went back and forth in that game as I would have expected. So the woulda, coulda, shoulda goes both ways. Longview coaches have at times this year called set pass plays with 1 option.  That has drastically changed in the last few weeks. When our QB is allowed options, it doesn't end well for the opposing defense, but we will see.

Outside a few posters, Lancaster doesn't get the props they deserve because of the 2 losses, but whoever gets them will find out.

It's also pretty worthless to argue at this point about the strength of our d-line and front seven. Most people have significantly underestimated them this year. And when their all world offense can't block them or run on them, they change their tune.

Like I said, I know Crosby isn't scared and I have waited for this matchup. I hope all of the right games fall into place to see this one happen.

Crosby couldn’t block LaPorte, KP, BH, PAM, pretty much nobody.  I often wonder about the play calling, but in all honesty when you are limited up front it does impact the game that Coach P is calling.  I don’t see much success blocking either L team from up north. Going to have to be mistake free, get a fake punt or something like that and just hope they have a chance late.  A lot to ask for!  

15 hours ago, kingwolf1 said:

Two rabid fan bases and two solid programs. 

I agree with all you said except that. Don't misinterpret some over-the-top vocalizations from a few posters here on this forum as a proxy for the whole Crosby fanbase. When things went south for them this year their fans to some degree abandoned them. I saw that when I watched some district games online. After they lost to BH and KW back to back a lot of their fans didn't show up in Port Arthur, for example. Also last year after they lost in playoffs to Liberty Hill a few of their fans had a melt down in the parking lot and loudly said some horrible things about their own team. It was not nice.     

7 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

I agree with all you said except that. Don't misinterpret some over-the-top vocalizations from a few posters here on this forum as a proxy for the whole Crosby fanbase. When things went south for them this year their fans to some degree abandoned them. I saw that when I watched some district games online. After they lost to BH and KW back to back a lot of their fans didn't show up in Port Arthur, for example. Also last year after they lost in playoffs to Liberty Hill a few of their fans had a melt down in the parking lot and loudly said some horrible things about their own team. It was not nice.     

that's pretty sad. they seemed to have a really big following the last few years.  Guess we shouldn't expect many fans if we play.

7 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

They didn't show up cause of the monsoon. Ours too. 

23 hours ago, kingwolf1 said:

I guess you had to be there live to see it.  Most of them were honestly dead drops, it got comical there at the end. The plays for either side went back and forth in that game as I would have expected. So the woulda, coulda, shoulda goes both ways. Longview coaches have at times this year called set pass plays with 1 option.  That has drastically changed in the last few weeks. When our QB is allowed options, it doesn't end well for the opposing defense, but we will see.

Outside a few posters, Lancaster doesn't get the props they deserve because of the 2 losses, but whoever gets them will find out.

It's also pretty worthless to argue at this point about the strength of our d-line and front seven. Most people have significantly underestimated them this year. And when their all world offense can't block them or run on them, they change their tune.

Like I said, I know Crosby isn't scared and I have waited for this matchup. I hope all of the right games fall into place to see this one happen.

I'm not commenting on his post with this but it's amazing how many people across the state downplays LV defense. That's the thing I look at watching them. Hale gonna get his period but that defense is legit. It takes a perfect game to beat em with LV making mistakes too. They're kids also. 

10 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

No doubt 

Fantastic breakdown from Lobofan07:

As we go into the final weekend of the regular season, I thought I’d break down the teams in our Region one last time.

DISTRICT FIVE
Standings:
1) Mansfield Timberview (9-0, 7-0)
2) North Richland Hills Birdville (7-2, 6-1)
3) North Richland Hills Richland (7-2, 5-2)
4) Dallas W.T. White (5-4, 5-2)
5) Carrollton Newman Smith (5-4, 3-4)
6) Dallas Bryan Adams (3-6, 3-4)
7) Carrollton R.L. Turner (3-6, 2-5)
😎 Dallas Molina (2-7, 1-6)
9) Dallas Sunset (1-9, 0-8)

Eliminated: Dallas Sunset, Dallas Molina, Carrollton RL Turner, Dallas Bryan Adams, Carrollton Newman Smith

Games this week: Carrollton Newman Smith at Carrollton R.L. Turner, Dallas Bryan Adams at Mansfield Timberview, Dallas Molina at North Richland Hills Richland, Dallas WT White at North Richland Hills Birdville, Dallas Sunset is off.

Playoff Seeding:
No 1 Seed - Mansfield Timberview - LOCKED
No 2 Seed - North Richland Hills Birdville - LOCKED
No 3 Seed -
North Richland Hills Richland - Clinched with a win over Dallas Molina OR a WT White loss to Birdville.
Dallas WT White - Clinched with win over Birdville AND a Richland loss to Molina.
No 4 Seed -
Dallas W.T. White - Clinched with a loss to Birdville.
North Richland Hills Richland - Clinched with a loss to Dallas Molina AND a WT White win over Birdville.

DISTRICT SIX
Standings:
1) Frisco Reedy (10-0, 8-0)
2) Frisco Lone Star (7-2, 5-2)
3) Frisco (6-3, 5-2)
4) Frisco Heritage (6-3, 5-2)
5) Frisco Wakeland (5-4, 4-3)
6) Frisco Centennial (3-6, 2-5)
7) Sherman (3-6, 2-5)
😎 Frisco Lebanon Trail (1-8, 1-6)
9) Frisco Liberty (0-9, 0-7)

Eliminated: Frisco Liberty, Frisco Lebanon Trail, Frisco Centennial, Sherman

Games this week: Frisco v. Frisco Wakeland, Frisco Centennial v. Frisco Lebanon Trail, Frisco Heritage v. Frisco Lone Star, Sherman at Frisco Liberty, Frisco Reedy is off.

Playoff Seeding:
No 1 Seed - Frisco Reedy - LOCKED
No 2 Seed -
Frisco Lone Star - Clinched with a win over Frisco Heritage.
Frisco - Clinched with a win over Frisco Wakeland AND a Frisco Heritage win over Frisco Lone Star.
Frisco Heritage - Clinched with a win over Frisco Lone Star AND a Frisco Wakeland win over Frisco.
No 3 Seed -
Frisco - Clinched with a win over Frisco Wakeland AND a Frisco Lone Star win over Frisco Heritage.
Frisco Heritage - Clinched with a win over Frisco Lone Star AND a Frisco win over Frisco Wakeland OR Clinched with a loss to Frisco Lone Star and a Frisco loss to Frisco Wakeland by less than 10.
Frisco Wakeland - Clinched with a win over Frisco AND a Frisco Lone Star loss to Heritage, as all 3-way tiebreakers go Wakeland’s way, OR Clinched with a win over Frisco by 10 or more AND a Frisco Heritage loss to Frisco Lone Star.
No 4 Seed -
Frisco Heritage - Clinched with a loss to Frisco Lone Star.
Frisco - Clinched with a loss to Frisco Wakeland by less than 2.
Frisco Wakeland - Clinched with a win over Frisco AND a Frisco Heritage win over Frisco Lone Star OR Clinched with a win over Frisco by 3 points and a Frisco Lone Star win over Frisco Heritage.
Frisco Lone Star - Clinched with a loss to Frisco Heritage AND a Frisco Wakeland win over Frisco. Frisco - Clinched with a loss to Frisco Wakeland by less than 2 points AND a Frisco Heritage loss to Frisco Lone Star.

DISTRICT SEVEN
Standings:
1) Longview (9-0, 6-0)
2) Lancaster (7-2, 5-1)
3) Forney (6-3, 4-2)
4) McKinney North (6-3, 3-3)
5) Lufkin (6-3, 3-3)
6) Tyler (2-7, 2-4)
7) North Mesquite (2-7, 1-5)
😎 West Mesquite (3-6, 0-6)

Eliminated: West Mesquite, North Mesquite, Tyler

Games this week: Lancaster at Lufkin, McKinney North at North Mesquite, Tyler at Forney, West Mesquite at Longview

Playoff Seeding:
No 1 Seed - Longview - LOCKED
No 2 Seed - Lancaster - LOCKED
No 3 Seed - Forney - LOCKED
No 4 Seed -
McKinney - Clinched with a win over North Mesquite OR a loss to North Mesquite and a Lancaster win over Lufkin.
Lufkin - Clinched with a win over Lancaster AND a North Mesquite win over McKinney North.

DISTRICT EIGHT
Standings:
1) Port Arthur Memorial (8-1, 6-1)
2) Humble Kingwood Park (7-2, 6-1)
3) Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill (6-3, 5-2)
4) Crosby (5-4, 4-3)
5) New Caney Porter (5-4, 4-3)
6) La Porte (5-5, 4-4)
7) Baytown Lee (4-5, 2-5)
8) Baytown Sterling (2-7, 1-6)
9) Baytown Goose Creek Memorial (1-8, 0-7)

Eliminated: Baytown Sterling, Baytown Goose Creek Memoriał, Baytown Lee, La Porte

Games this week: Baytown Lee v. Baytown Sterling, Crosby at Baytown Goose Creek Memorial, New Caney Porter at Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill, Port Arthur Memorial at Humble Kingwood Park, La Porte is off.

Playoff Seeding:
No 1 Seed -
Port Arthur Memorial - Clinched with a win over Humble Kingwood Park.
Humble Kingwood Park - Clinched with a win over Port Arthur Memorial.
No 2 Seed -
Port Arthur Memorial - Clinched with a loss to Humble Kingwood Park.
Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill - Clinched with a win over New Caney Porter AND a Port Arthur Memorial win over Humble Kingwood Park.
Humble Kingwood Park - Clinched with a loss to Port Arthur Memorial AND a New Caney Porter win over Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill.
No 3 Seed -
Humble Kingwood Park - Clinched with a loss to Port Arthur Memorial AND a Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill win over New Caney Porter.
Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill - Clinched with a win over New Caney Porter AND a Humble Kingwood Park win over Port Arthur Memorial.
Crosby - Clinched with a win over Baytown Goose Creek Memorial AND a New Caney Porter win over Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill.
New Caney Porter - Clinched with a win over Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill AND a Crosby loss to Baytown Goose Creek Memorial.
No 4 Seed -
Crosby - Clinched with a win over Baytown Goose Creek Memorial AND a Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill win over New Caney Porter.
New Caney Porter - Clinched with a win over Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill by 3 or more AND a Crosby win over Baytown Goose Creek Memorial.
Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill - Clinched with a loss to New Caney Porter by less than 3 and a Crosby win over Baytown Goose Creek Memorial.

ALL POSSIBLE PLAYOFF SEEDINGS
D5 No 1. Mansfield Timberview vs D6 No 4. Frisco Heritage/Frisco Wakeland/Frisco Lone Star/Frisco
D7 No 3. Forney vs D8 No 2. Port Arthur Memorial/Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill/Humble Kingwood Park
D5 No 4. Dallas W.T. White/North Richland Hills Richland vs D6 No 1. Frisco Reedy
D7 No 2. Lancaster vs D8 No 3. Humble Kingwood Park/Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill/Crosby/New Caney Porter

D5 No 3. North Richland Hills Richland/Dallas W.T. White vs D6 No 2. Frisco Lone Star/Frisco/Frisco Heritage
D7 No 1. Longview vs D8 No 4. Crosby/New Caney Porter/Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill
D5 No 2. North Richland Hills Birdville vs D6 No 3. Frisco/Frisco Heritage/Frisco Wakeland
D7 No 4. McKinney North/Lufkin vs D8 No 1. Port Arthur Memorial/Humble Kingwood Park