Silsbee 63 Beaumont United 109/FINAL

WOSgrad

17 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I know this isn’t gonna be a popular response on this thread but I ain’t sure if the Tigers are going to be as successful in their district this year as most on here think. I haven’t seen Bridge City yet this year but I’m familiar with what they had coming back. The 4 teams in question Silsbee, Lumberton,Bridge City and LCM will beat each other up on a regular basis. The difference will be stealing some on the road and it takes young teams awhile to learn to do that. I haven’t seen much mention of LCM , they can be the most dangerous of this entire district. They have a solid PG, two very good shooters and if they get some post presence they could be the favorite. Lufkin will be a good measuring stick for the Tigers. They are pretty solid. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

I don’t know about unpopular, but could be inaccurate.   The “most dangerous” team in the district has a better chance of missing the playoffs than winning the district.  Just my opinion of course.  

4 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

By next year we should have a good idea of where Silsbee stands. I still think we'll be okay come district and playoff time this year. We go into district without winning a single game, I might start to worry a little.

We've got some other kids in the pipeline that already look to be excellent ballers. A lot of them won't make it to high school in time to play with our current kids though.

BU should make it to state this year. What's the main thing standing in their way of a title? FB Hightower and Lancaster? Either them or some other Metroplex school, I'd guess.

Mansfield Timberview fits the description.  It is located in South Arlington, bordering North Mansfield.  If I could I'd move up there, nice area.  I got some in laws there.  My niece went to that school.  They won 5A state a few years ago. They stay ranked in the 5A top 5.  

6 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I don’t know about unpopular, but could be inaccurate.   The “most dangerous” team in the district has a better chance of missing the playoffs than winning the district.  Just my opinion of course.  

I’m basing my opinion strictly on a recent one game eye test. I brought them up because they seem to be overlooked . I know some nights everything you put up goes in and that may have been the case the night I saw them. Looking at the box scores from their games it looks like they got a couple of kids that fill it up pretty often. I think overlooking them would be a mistake. 

7 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

It is

I remember last year I said McClure was the best player in the district not named Bush.   I remember that drawing some comments and skepticism.  Can someone remind me how many players  in that district ended last year with D1 offers/signings and which conference they were signed to?   I can’t remember.  

1 minute ago, TxHoops said:

I remember last year I said McClure was the best player in the district not named Bush.   I remember that drawing some comments and skepticism.  Can someone remind me how many players  in that district ended last year with D1 offers/signings and which conference they were signed to?   I can’t remember.  

I think the young man is an excellent player. I just think the comparison is a stretch.

Do you think McClure is a once in a decade type player like you say Bush was?

6 hours ago, whsalum said:

It’s more of an exaggeration than a stretch. McClure is a good shooter but I wouldn’t compare his game and Bush’s. Players like Bush don’t come along very often.

This is very true.  McClure last year was clearly the next best prospect in the district behind Bush, at least in my opinion (and I guess Tic Price’s).  But there was also a next best to Secretariat each time he raced as well...  As you stated, Bush’s (and Secretariat’s) don’t come around very often. 

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

I think the young man is an excellent player. I just think the comparison is a stretch.

Not arguing that.  (See comment above.)  But I also remember some comments last year after that statement questioning its accuracy.  Needless to say, I couldn’t have been less surprised he was the only other kid in the district to end the year D1. 

1 minute ago, TxHoops said:

Not arguing that.  (See comment above.)  But I also remember some comments last year after that statement questioning its accuracy.  Needless to say, I couldn’t have been less surprised he was the only other kid in the district to end the year D1. 

I had always questioned is effort (or lack thereof) on the defensive end. His coach would vouch for that.

Never questioned his skill set. Probably the best in the district.

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

I had always questioned is effort (or lack thereof) on the defensive end. His coach would vouch for that.

Never questioned his skill set. Probably the best in the district.

Hmmm the “defensive effort” argument could be made in other spots in this thread.  Sometimes when you carry the water, you pick your spots.  You undersell him defensively.  If you know Tic, you know you don’t play for him without performing on that end.  I know Josh gets on him on the defensive end.  I also know Joe has gotten on some of his “stars” on the defensive end.  Brock rebounds the ball way above the mean on the defensive boards and has above average feet.  His defense is fine. But if you are looking to nitpick his game, you’re right; that’s the spot.  Same goes for Mr. Bush.  

10 hours ago, Elvis Presley said:

I still say its gone be SIlsbee, LTRAIN, Orangefield, West orange.  BC and LCM and vidor gotta prove themselves and they never have before.  Brock McCule might be the next bush from Silsbee.  It is gonna be fun to watch!!!

With HF out of that district. I see a equal playing field from 1-5. A good team will miss the playoffs.