La Marque 0 Huffman Hargrave 42/FINAL

WOSgrad

9 minutes ago, aTmfan06 said:

Curious to see how Huffman will do vs a quality opponent 

Yep, with their pre-district sch, it’s difficult to know how good they really are.   Wouldn’t surprise me for them to go undefeated in District though.  Vidor’s offense has trouble against a good disciplined defense.  Maybe Coach Matthews is saving the Pirate passing attack for them. 🤣

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

Yep, with their pre-district sch, it’s difficult to know how good they really are.   Wouldn’t surprise me for them to go undefeated in District though.  Vidor’s offense has trouble against a good disciplined defense.  Maybe Coach Matthews is saving the Pirate passing attack for them. 🤣

Schedule so far:  Huffman hasn't played a winning program yet.  That makes it tough.  Needville and Navasota were good tests and they came out on top but we will see.  Things seemed to click better after Needville.  If I was to rank things based on (a system I just pulled out of thin air) Quality of Performance ("-1" for a loss, "0" being an expected win, "1" being a good win, "2" being a great win) Huffman is at a Grade "2" after 4 games.  

Stafford (1-4): Athletic and big. Conditioning and execution was the issue with Stafford.  Stafford has played two good teams (Calhoun and Bellville) lost to Sealy (2-2) and beat Wharton (Wharton is not good this year).  Probably not a great indicator of quality.

Needville (2-3): played nasty and was big and fast. The comment I heard from a player was "Stafford was more athletic but Needville played football better." That game was close. Huffman wore them out and played more disciplined.  Needville beat a gamey Livingston team (3-2), Lost to a mediocre Navarro team, Lost by 1 point to a good Yoakum (4-0), and beat a bad Sweeny team(1-4).  Needville was a step up in competition.  Not a dominant performance but got the job done.  I would lean towards this being a good not great win.

Navasota (2-2):  I don't know. I expected a lot more out of Navasota than that. Losing to Mexia may have knocked the wind out of their sails.  When their starting QB came in fresh the second half, I thought they could get some momentum.  This is a good not great win.  

LaMarque(0-4): Good teams are supposed to win this game.  I'm not deep diving on their schedule, Huffman did score almost double the points they have allowed per game this year.  Huffman played clean and methodical. A win.

Upcoming Schedule:

LCM (0-2): They will probably be 0-3 coming into the game against Huffman.  Jasper (4-0) is a tough game for anybody.  This should (anything can happen, I know) follow the same pattern as the LaMarque game.

Lumberton (1-3): If they shock Livingston, this could be a good win potential for Huffman.  Livingston put up some points on Needville and Huffman struggled to do that.

Splendora (1-3): Splendora wants this to be a rivalry game, and I get it.  They will see Vidor and Livingston before this game and if they can put something together, it is possible this will be the first team Huffman sees with a winning record.  Potential to be a good win.

Vidor (2-1): Lost to Jasper.  Jasper is real good in my opinion. Bay City and Brazosport shouldn't have been as close as they were.  This will be the first game with the potential for a great win.  

Livingston (3-2): Decent chance Livingston and Huffman are playing for the DC this game.  They give up some points against middle of the road teams, Huffman hasn't yet.  This could be a great win.

This sure was a long post to just say "Yeah, Hagar...you right."

35 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

Schedule so far:  Huffman hasn't played a winning program yet.  That makes it tough.  Needville and Navasota were good tests and they came out on top but we will see.  Things seemed to click better after Needville.  If I was to rank things based on (a system I just pulled out of thin air) Quality of Performance ("-1" for a loss, "0" being an expected win, "1" being a good win, "2" being a great win) Huffman is at a Grade "2" after 4 games.  

Stafford (1-4): Athletic and big. Conditioning and execution was the issue with Stafford.  Stafford has played two good teams (Calhoun and Bellville) lost to Sealy (2-2) and beat Wharton (Wharton is not good this year).  Probably not a great indicator of quality.

Needville (2-3): played nasty and was big and fast. The comment I heard from a player was "Stafford was more athletic but Needville played football better." That game was close. Huffman wore them out and played more disciplined.  Needville beat a gamey Livingston team (3-2), Lost to a mediocre Navarro team, Lost by 1 point to a good Yoakum (4-0), and beat a bad Sweeny team(1-4).  Needville was a step up in competition.  Not a dominant performance but got the job done.  I would lean towards this being a good not great win.

Navasota (2-2):  I don't know. I expected a lot more out of Navasota than that. Losing to Mexia may have knocked the wind out of their sails.  When their starting QB came in fresh the second half, I thought they could get some momentum.  This is a good not great win.  

LaMarque(0-4): Good teams are supposed to win this game.  I'm not deep diving on their schedule, Huffman did score almost double the points they have allowed per game this year.  Huffman played clean and methodical. A win.

Upcoming Schedule:

LCM (0-2): They will probably be 0-3 coming into the game against Huffman.  Jasper (4-0) is a tough game for anybody.  This should (anything can happen, I know) follow the same pattern as the LaMarque game.

Lumberton (1-3): If they shock Livingston, this could be a good win potential for Huffman.  Livingston put up some points on Needville and Huffman struggled to do that.

Splendora (1-3): Splendora wants this to be a rivalry game, and I get it.  They will see Vidor and Livingston before this game and if they can put something together, it is possible this will be the first team Huffman sees with a winning record.  Potential to be a good win.

Vidor (2-1): Lost to Jasper.  Jasper is real good in my opinion. Bay City and Brazosport shouldn't have been as close as they were.  This will be the first game with the potential for a great win.  

Livingston (3-2): Decent chance Livingston and Huffman are playing for the DC this game.  They give up some points against middle of the road teams, Huffman hasn't yet.  This could be a great win.

Idk if you’re originally from Livingston, but believe me friend, Livingston will not be playing for the DC. They’ll get 2 wins possibly. 

29 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Idk if you’re originally from Livingston, but believe me friend, Livingston will not be playing for the DC. They’ll get 2 wins possibly. 

I am probably putting a lot of credit on the Needville loss.  I am guessing they can win their district games with Vidor being the toughest game before the Huffman game.  I saw some film from the scrimmage with Stafford and Livingston didn't look good.  I try to ignore scrimmage film.  

Sounds like you have seen more Livingston than I have.  

1 hour ago, texbuzz said:

Upcoming Schedule:

Where will the Huffman v Vidor game be?

42 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

7 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

I am probably putting a lot of credit on the Needville loss.  I am guessing they can win their district games with Vidor being the toughest game before the Huffman game.  I saw some film from the scrimmage with Stafford and Livingston didn't look good.  I try to ignore scrimmage film.  

Sounds like you have seen more Livingston than I have.  

Who has Livingston beat thus far? Seeing their 3-2 record kind of surprised me, having played 5 games to this point is good for them. I believe they only beat Orangefield by a point but even Silsbee struggled with OF so who knows.

2 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

That game is in Vidor, thankfully the only remaining game where we have to travel far is Livingston and Lumberton is our only other road game but I have a feeling both of those games might be sneaky tough.

Livingston appears better than in the past, and Ltown will want to beat Vidor more than anyone on their schedule.  Yep, both will be tough.

23 hours ago, texbuzz said:

Upcoming Schedule:

Splendora (1-3): Splendora wants this to be a rivalry game, and I get it.  

One would say that y'all are rivals especially back in the early '00s when we were all in the same district (Coldspring, Barbers Hill, Shepherd, Huffman, Liberty, Splendora, Tarkington, and Cleveland)... Outside of Splendora's true rivals which is Cleveland (maybe Tarkington) I think Huffman is the closest team that they can considered to be their rivals I mean back then both schools had pretty competitive games

Just now, TrojanWarrior08 said:

One would say that y'all are rivals especially back in the early '00s when we were all in the same district (Coldspring, Barbers Hill, Shepherd, Huffman, Liberty, Splendora, Tarkington, and Cleveland)... Outside of Splendora's true rivals which is Cleveland (maybe Tarkington) I think Huffman is the closest team that they can considered to be their rivals I mean back then both schools had pretty competitive games

Actually did both schools played for a district championship game a few seasons ago I'm not sure

6 minutes ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

There was some interviews with Vype I think, of Splendora players and they said they had this game circled on their calendars.  not sure about the district championships stuff.