De Soto Coach to Be Fired!?

WOSgrad

14 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

The reason being bandied about has NOTHING to do with job performance. 

It is alleged by some in the community that some of the board members no longer want a white head coach for the predominately black De Soto High.

School board members are elected and elections have consequences, which is why I'm now stuck with agent orange in the White House. Claude Mathis, who's probably along with Phil Danaher is best THSFB coach without a title, built that program up and handed the keys over to Peterman who subsequently went 6-6 the next year. People in Desoto were on Peterman for that and now that Mathis has left SMU to go back to the high school ranks I could only imagine the board members salivating to have him back. There are a bunch of people in Desoto who feel Peterman would've also underachieved this year had it not been for Shawn Robinson's mom taking the girls head basketball coaching job and bringing him along to put up the nearly 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns he did last season. It's not the first and won't be the last time an elected board moves/wants to move/tries to move a coach out at the befuddlement of onlookers, no matter how questionable the root cause is.  

5 minutes ago, Loyal Ranger said:

Anyone who wants to win a state championship would take the job. they would just think that it would never happen to them because that new board would have hired him. 

The HS coaching community is pretty tight and word travels fast.  The job wouldn't get big names applying working for a board like that.  Look how it worked out for Navasota. 

10 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Peterman will be fine and will be able to pick his job when he leaves.  DeSoto will be the one that loses in this situation.  What coach that is worth the damn would take that job after the way he was treated?

I'm sure Desoto doesn't feel like they lose anything if they run Peterman out the door except the only coach who's won a title there. Peterman came up under Mathis, and not only would they love to have Mathis back for a third time, some of the top coaches around the state will be tripping over the threshold trying to get in the door there. It's like Allen, North Shore or Trinity where the sheer number of high quality athletes gives any competent coach a huge advantage over the competition, which is why Desoto wins in both major sports. If Peterman leaves I highly doubt he'll ever get a job equivalent to Desoto again.  

And if he left now, he wouldn't get another good gig right now just because of the timing of the move. Everyone starting spring ball. I think he'd probably take this season off and try and come back to a position after this coming season.

Or he could play this season out and then find a new gig. Weird situation either way.

10 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

The HS coaching community is pretty tight and word travels fast.  The job wouldn't get big names applying working for a board like that.  Look how it worked out for Navasota. 

Navasota is a 4A basically in the middle of nowhere, that's more of a hometown guy job like it was for Fedora. Desoto is talent mill in South Dallas meaning they could hire coaches on Reginald Samples level and they wouldn't even have to move. Other places around the state don't have the same values as say Lumberton, TX. At Desoto U it's about winning, scholarships and trying to get to the league. Coaches dream about coaching kids like that, even if someone in their fraternity has been slighted previously.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I'm sure Desoto doesn't feel like they lose anything if they run Peterman out the door except the only coach who's won a title there. Peterman came up under Mathis, and not only would they love to have Mathis back for a third time, some of the top coaches around the state will be tripping over the threshold trying to get in the door there. It's like Allen, North Shore or Trinity where the sheer number of high quality athletes gives any competent coach a huge advantage over the competition, which is why Desoto wins in both major sports. If Peterman leaves I highly doubt he'll ever get a job equivalent to Desoto again.  

From what I saw of the meeting last night, I am not sure that the voting electorate of the De Soto ISD would agree with you.  Three speakers from the public (all that the board allowed to speak) spoke in support of Peterman all to loud applause from the overflow crowd there.  Also, previous to the meeting, the superintendent of De Soto ISD recommended his renewal as well as the principal of De Soto High. 

So De Soto "U" is all about winning, scholarships and getting to the league, huh?  Todd Peterman did 2 out of those 3 (and we may learn in 4 years that he did all 3) and where has that gotten him? Possibly out of a job.  Given that, why would a coach of a top program say to his bosses, "Ya know, I love this program, the kids, the community support, the school board support and winning, but I am leaving to go to De Soto." 

Really?  Let's look at this.   Had Matt Steppe not tweeted what he tweeted yesterday afternoon and had folks from not only from DFW but all over the state tuned in to this meeting, the De Soto ISD board of trustees would have voted not to renew the contract of the ONLY coach in school history to lead De Soto High to a state championship (not Claude Mathis nor any other coach), less than 6 months after the trophy was raised, by a vote of 4-3 (which is strangely also the ratio of black board members to white board members).  Further, if those that want Peterman gone think that the state championship credit belongs solely to Shawn Robinson, who has now graduated, what does that say to a new coach about his chances of doing anything with a Robinson-less team? 

They will get a coach, and probably a decent coach as the lure of coaching a defending state champion will be too much for some to ignore.  But if you think that there are coaches who will completely ignore the sorry manner in which this has been handled and decide to venture into the belly of the beast, well............

And with a 6A State Championship to his resume, Todd Peterman will go where ever he wants.  It may not be the equivalent to De Soto. Of course, after yesterday, I am not sure that he wants the equivalent to De Soto.

17 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

From what I saw of the meeting last night, I am not sure that the voting electorate of the De Soto ISD would agree with you.  Three speakers from the public (all that the board allowed to speak) spoke in support of Peterman all to loud applause from the overflow crowd there.  Also, previous to the meeting, the superintendent of De Soto ISD recommended his renewal as well as the principal of De Soto High. 

So De Soto "U" is all about winning, scholarships and getting to the league, huh?  Todd Peterman did 2 out of those 3 (and we may learn in 4 years that he did all 3) and where has that gotten him? Possibly out of a job.  Given that, why would a coach of a top program say to his bosses, "Ya know, I love this program, the kids, the community support, the school board support and winning, but I am leaving to go to De Soto." 

Really?  Let's look at this.   Had Matt Steppe not tweeted what he tweeted yesterday afternoon and had folks from not only from DFW but all over the state tuned in to this meeting, the De Soto ISD board of trustees would have voted not to renew the contract of the ONLY coach in school history to lead De Soto High to a state championship (not Claude Mathis nor any other coach), less than 6 months after the trophy was raised, by a vote of 4-3 (which is strangely also the ratio of black board members to white board members).  Further, if those that want Peterman gone think that the state championship credit belongs solely to Shawn Robinson, who has now graduated, what does that say to a new coach about his chances of doing anything with a Robinson-less team? 

They will get a coach, and probably a decent coach as the lure of coaching a defending state champion will be too much for some to ignore.  But if you think that there are coaches who will completely ignore the sorry manner in which this has been handled and decide to venture into the belly of the beast, well............

And with a 6A State Championship to his resume, Todd Peterman will go where ever he wants.  It may not be the equivalent to De Soto. Of course, after yesterday, I am not sure that he wants the equivalent to De Soto.

We have an opening at REL.

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Navasota is a 4A basically in the middle of nowhere, that's more of a hometown guy job like it was for Fedora. Desoto is talent mill in South Dallas meaning they could hire coaches on Reginald Samples level and they wouldn't even have to move. Other places around the state don't have the same values as say Lumberton, TX. At Desoto U it's about winning, scholarships and trying to get to the league. Coaches dream about coaching kids like that, even if someone in their fraternity has been slighted previously.

28 college signees

8 FBS scholarships

3 All Americans

Scholarships to football players totaling $3.6 million

First state championship in school history with a 16-0 season

And the coach that oversaw this is on the verge of being fired and no real reason has been given as to why.

If I am a top coach, I am telling De Soto ISD "NO THANK YOU!!!!"

4 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Any time a group of people do something questionable ethically you're going to have people come out and support what's deemed the "right thing" in exorbitant numbers due to the outside perception of the community and people not wanting to be associated with that perception, hence the overwhelming applause. Why would a coach from Arlington ISD go to Desoto? Because he knows he can come right back down 20 and stomp a mudhole in the team he just left with the talent he just acquired. Not to mention if he has higher aspirations, Desoto get A LOT more interaction with important position coaches due to the caliber of player he has. Position coaches with no stroke do the majority of the Spring evaluations in most cases. When you have 10 fours stars on a roster at any given time coordinators who can "put in a good word" for you with the head coach often come through though. There are a a bunch of high level head coaches willing to take a $100k job with a little flak in order to make $250k as a position coach a few years later due to connections you've made through your players, as well as being shown favor for your relationships with high level players much like Corby Meekins was.

Jaylin Nelson was supposed to be the qb at Desoto, he left at the same time Mathis did and went to Duncanville because of Reginald Samples. Kids like Tristan Wallace and Shawn Robinson are the norm at Desoto so the last thing any coach would be worried about was a qb. Peterman's first year Desoto signed more D1 players than wins they put up which is where his problem started. Jon Kay was always seen as the more fitting coach at North Shore even though David Aymond was the only coach to put up a title in school history at that time. You have to remember Ronnie Gage also had two state championships, doesn't mean you're a great coach as we found out when he ran the same offense at BH but didn't have those same athletes.

Coaches won't ignore the manner in which he's being treated but if you think there's this huge swath of coaches that won't take the job at one of the two or three highest profile schools in an area that probably plays the best football in the country on principle alone, well  . . . .    

3 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

28 college signees

8 FBS scholarships

3 All Americans

Scholarships to football players totaling $3.6 million

First state championship in school history with a 16-0 season

And the coach that oversaw this is on the verge of being fired and no real reason has been given as to why.

If I am a top coach, I am telling De Soto ISD "NO THANK YOU!!!!"

You're not a top coach though. There are guys coaching on those exits off 635 and 820 whose ego won't even fit in their coach's office. The very last thing they're worried about is how the previous guy got treated.

On 4/25/2017 at 8:01 PM, WOSgrad said:

The reason being bandied about has NOTHING to do with job performance. 

It is alleged by some in the community that some of the board members no longer want a white head coach for the predominately black De Soto High.

Well.  That's...um...AGAINST THE LAW.  So..

If I were him, I'd be praying to get nonrenewed because of skin color.  If that's the case retirement may come early.  He may continue getting paychecks courtesy of Desoto High School for a long time.

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Well.  That's...um...AGAINST THE LAW.  So..

If I were him, I'd be praying to get nonrenewed because of skin color.  If that's the case retirement may come early.  He may continue getting paychecks courtesy of Desoto High School for a long time.

While you're right, how would it be proven? Unless there is a text or email trail, no way you can nail that down, even if it is true.

3 minutes ago, dBerrySports said:

While you're right, how would it be proven? Unless there is a text or email trail, no way you can nail that down, even if it is true.

There's speculation all over it.  What justicfication can be given for non renewing the contract?  Administrators are non renewed every year but there normally is a reason given.  What's the reason here?  Want to go a different direction... treating kids poorly...Poor discipline...  I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find some kind of proof somewhere that one of the board members said something or texted something or implied something to SOMEbody.

14 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Any time a group of people do something questionable ethically you're going to have people come out and support what's deemed the "right thing" in exorbitant numbers due to the outside perception of the community and people not wanting to be associated with that perception, hence the overwhelming applause. Why would a coach from Arlington ISD go to Desoto? Because he knows he can come right back down 20 and stomp a mudhole in the team he just left with the talent he just acquired. Not to mention if he has higher aspirations, Desoto get A LOT more interaction with important position coaches due to the caliber of player he has. Position coaches with no stroke do the majority of the Spring evaluations in most cases. When you have 10 fours stars on a roster at any given time coordinators who can "put in a good word" for you with the head coach often come through though. There are a a bunch of high level head coaches willing to take a $100k job with a little flak in order to make $250k as a position coach a few years later due to connections you've made through your players, as well as being shown favor for your relationships with high level players much like Corby Meekins was.

Jaylin Nelson was supposed to be the qb at Desoto, he left at the same time Mathis did and went to Duncanville because of Reginald Samples. Kids like Tristan Wallace and Shawn Robinson are the norm at Desoto so the last thing any coach would be worried about was a qb. Peterman's first year Desoto signed more D1 players than wins they put up which is where his problem started. Jon Kay was always seen as the more fitting coach at North Shore even though David Aymond was the only coach to put up a title in school history at that time. You have to remember Ronnie Gage also had two state championships, doesn't mean you're a great coach as we found out when he ran the same offense at BH but didn't have those same athletes.

Coaches won't ignore the manner in which he's being treated but if you think there's this huge swath of coaches that won't take the job at one of the two or three highest profile schools in an area that probably plays the best football in the country on principle alone, well  . . . .    

Cougar, I don't follow Desoto but is it safe to say they could have had 2-3 more titles by now if it weren't for Allen and Kyler Murray?

26 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

CT better keep bringing home the hardware.... that's all I'm saying.

There is one member of the WO-C CISD board that does think the way (and there are others in a clique of "community leaders" that do as well).  Fortunately, he is but one and is thus in the very small minority.  The current make up the board, which does include some folks who frequent this board as well as other city leaders who have the utmost respect for Coach Thompson, would prevent a De Soto ISD-type circus from happening in Orange.

4 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

There is one member of the WO-C CISD board that does think the way (and there are others in a clique of "community leaders" that do as well).  Fortunately, he is but one and is thus in the very small minority.  The current make up the board, which does include some folks who frequent this board as well as other city leaders who have the utmost respect for Coach Thompson, would prevent a De Soto ISD-type circus from happening in Orange.

I have to correct myself, that board member that I was referencing is no longer on the Board of Trustees.

7 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Cougar, I don't follow Desoto but is it safe to say they could have had 2-3 more titles by now if it weren't for Allen and Kyler Murray?

I always wondered exactly how good of a coach Mathis was because he would get his brains beat in by Reginald Samples at Skyline early in his tenure. Samples is a title away from being in the coaching hall of fame if his resume isn't there already though? Looking back Skyline had the same caliber players and would dwarf Desoto's enrollment because they should've been D2 but Cedar Hill, who was one of the smallest 6A's in the state at the time, would often get put in their district and push them up. Those three consecutive years Desoto lost to those Kyler Murray title teams Allen had double the enrollment. People in Desoto always figured if they went D2 they would win a title and the first time they dropped down last year they did which is why Peterman doesn't get the credit some people on this board obviously feel he deserves.

The "football" people at Desoto ISD knew/know all that stuff. The superintendent said the issue didn't have anything to do with race and I believe said he was "sickened" by the allegations that was the cause for the situation. I don't know how true it is but my buddy in Plano told me it wasn't about race either. Said that after Peterman won a title he went to the administration and wanted a raise after year two on the job, some of the members said they would rather show him the door. He said the race thing came up because Peterman was dipping on the sideline in the first game he coached a couple of years ago and got reprimanded, some felt that wasn't fair and sort of racist because they wouldn't accept what common practice at other places.