Silsbee/Lincoln Predictions

Regardless of offers, Devon was the best player on that team.  He did not play last summer and that's where you get your offers, not during the HS season.   But Jordyn is right there and so is Bush IMO.  I also believe the main place it hurts them is defensively.   For instance, even though he is a PG, I believe Sig would have matched up Devon with 6'7" Seriale if they play Yates.  I've seen him before generally have him on the other teams best player, regardless of position. 

45 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

No offense to you, the kid, the team, or anyone...but you're basing results on what they have done without him and what his backup has done without him against teams that aren't very good.  What will happen when/if they see a team that gives them a game is yet to be determined.  Saying a team is pretty much the same team without their best player is just not true.

I know this is high school...and circumstances are a lot different.  But I like to use the Miami Heat as an example for a situation somewhat similar to this.  They went from NBA finals (multiple times) to not even making the playoffs in 1 year's time just by losing their best player.  Same coach...still had D Wade and Bosh (NBA All Stars).  Take 1 person out of the lineup and they go from best in the East to 9th or worse in the East.

Who is the backup if you're talking about Bush he has been starting since district I surely don't consider him the backup when he was playing the one and MCCain the two so......

2 minutes ago, kingjames said:

Who is the backup if you're talking about Bush he has been starting since district I surely don't consider him the backup when he was playing the one and MCCain the two so......

Correct.  He was running with the first group before the suspension.  

8 minutes ago, kingjames said:

I don't know who the backup is.  I'm assuming that when the Baylor commit was suspended that A) he was a starter. and B someone is now playing in the game instead of him.  Unless they are running 4 on 5.  Which...I doubt they are.  So whoever was on the bench when the Baylor commit was on the floor that in now on the floor...was the backup.   I don't know these kids...you tell me.

20 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I don't know who the backup is.  I'm assuming that when the Baylor commit was suspended that A) he was a starter. and B someone is now playing in the game instead of him.  Unless they are running 4 on 5.  Which...I doubt they are.  So whoever was on the bench when the Baylor commit was on the floor that in now on the floor...was the backup.   I don't know these kids...you tell me.

Silsbee is just deep it's 10 kids that could have a gripe of being starters so  I will end this convo saying Devon MCCain is the best player silsbee had on team Adams and Bush can hold there own and they all played good with one another 

6 minutes ago, kingjames said:

Silsbee is just deep it's 10 kids that could have a gripe of being starters so  I will end this convo saying Devon MCCain is the best player silsbee had on team Adams and Bush can hold there own and they all played good with one another 

I'm not saying he's best player.  But I think I can make an assumption that the coach had him starting for a reason.  And if he is indeed committed to Baylor then that reason is justified.  I think I can also make an assumption that if that particular kid is taken out of the lineup then the team will not be quite the same.  I think that's a fair assumption.

If Baylor University loses a starter then they are not quite the same team....and every backup they have is a D1 player.  So..

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

The player who replaced Devon on the floor is his brother Michael, another all stater.

Devon McCain is Silsbee's best player. PERIOD. Silsbee is very deep and have plenty of pieces. Trajan Harris is the best SCORER, Bush and Adams are the best shooters, Newton and Bush are the ultimate competitors, M. McCain is the slasher, Barnes and Jones are ridiculously athletic on both sides of the ball, plus all the defenders they have... it's hard saying who is best but D. McCain is 6'3, athletic as all get out, great vision, unselfish, can score at will, and rebounds! Silsbee will win state without him, but it's a little harder to do so. As long as they stay focused and take it one game at a time, there will not be a game within 15 points for the tigers. They may only have two kids that have committed to D1 schools... but I see many more getting the same love soon. 

6 hours ago, TxHoops said:

And let's not forget Newton would have already been the starting PG on 90 percent of the teams in the state.   Which goes back to the ridiculous depth Silsbee has.  For a school their size, no one would believe it until they see it.  

And Calvin Tyler who was a 3 year starter at 5A powerhouse OZEN. 

The big deal about this bunch is they are a team.  No one player no matter who is the best outshines the rest.  They all have had their moments to "star".  The thing is we have someone who can step up and fill each void..rebounding, scoring and defense.  The one difference may be the size of the one filling that particular role. The big thing for the rest of this team is to prove they are as good and deep as we have been saying all year and that loosing one player doesn't beat them.

54 minutes ago, ST413 said:

The big deal about this bunch is they are a team.  No one player no matter who is the best outshines the rest.  They all have had their moments to "star".  The thing is we have someone who can step up and fill each void..rebounding, scoring and defense.  The one difference may be the size of the one filling that particular role. The big thing got the rest of this team is to prove they are as good and deep as we have been saying all year and that loosing one player doesn't beat them.

Great team that have been playing together for so long

11 hours ago, ST413 said:

The big deal about this bunch is they are a team.  No one player no matter who is the best outshines the rest.  They all have had their moments to "star".  The thing is we have someone who can step up and fill each void..rebounding, scoring and defense.  The one difference may be the size of the one filling that particular role. The big thing for the rest of this team is to prove they are as good and deep as we have been saying all year and that loosing one player doesn't beat them.

Silsbee's depth, but also their style is what has and will allow them to overcome losing McCain.  They've got 5 or 6 guys on the bench every game that would start for most 4A (or 5A) teams in the state, so losing a player, even one of Devon's caliber, is greatly offset when you can bring in another quality starter  to take his place.  But to me, their style is what really makes the difference.  When you've got a court full of freak athletes who can run, dribble, pass, shoot, and play defense, it's a lot easier to offset losing one guy.  Due to the crazy pace that they play at, they don't need to "get it into the hands of their stud".  they've got 5 studs on the court at all times, and the stud they get it to is the one who's closest to the basket on a fast break, or the one who's open in the corner for 3.  Rarely do they have to slow down and play a half-court game, which is where McCain's added bit of quality would be missed more on the offensive end.  As long as they can continue to turn their games into pressing and layup drills, his absence shouldn't play a major factor. 

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Silsbee's depth, but also their style is what has and will allow them to overcome losing McCain.  They've got 5 or 6 guys on the bench every game that would start for most 4A (or 5A) teams in the state, so losing a player, even one of Devon's caliber, is greatly offset when you can bring in another quality starter  to take his place.  But to me, their style is what really makes the difference.  When you've got a court full of freak athletes who can run, dribble, pass, shoot, and play defense, it's a lot easier to offset losing one guy.  Due to the crazy pace that they play at, they don't need to "get it into the hands of their stud".  they've got 5 studs on the court at all times, and the stud they get it to is the one who's closest to the basket on a fast break, or the one who's open in the corner for 3.  Rarely do they have to slow down and play a half-court game, which is where McCain's added bit of quality would be missed more on the offensive end.  As long as they can continue to turn their games into pressing and layup drills, his absence shouldn't play a major factor

Let's agree to disagree.

There always seems to be a team (recently) that this style just doesn't work against.  I personally thing that the SeTx staple of (run em into the ground) is a thing of the past when it comes to winning it all.  It's been a decade or so since all you had to do was scare a team into turning it over and win a state championship.  I'm not saying Silsbee isn't good enough to win it all...or that they won't.  I'm just saying that there will come a time in the season where they'll have to play basketball and not press a team into oblivion. 

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Let's agree to disagree.

There always seems to be a team (recently) that this style just doesn't work against.  I personally thing that the SeTx staple of (run em into the ground) is a thing of the past when it comes to winning it all.  It's been a decade or so since all you had to do was scare a team into turning it over and win a state championship.  I'm not saying Silsbee isn't good enough to win it all...or that they won't.  I'm just saying that there will come a time in the season where they'll have to play basketball and not press a team into oblivion. 

Those times have already happened a few times this season. If it happens again, Silsbee will be prepared.

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Those times have already happened a few times this season. If it happens again, Silsbee will be prepared.

I didn't say they won't.  I was just disagreeing with a previous statement of turning the game into pressing and layup drills.  I think that it will take more than THAT to get it done.