Silsbee/Lincoln Predictions

Lincoln is maybe 3 or 4 games away, depending on pairing in SA, depending on a lot of things.  Need to lace 'em up with La Vega first.  Vega is always there, sorta like the Ronnie Laws joint.  Football, basketball perhaps track, La Vega somewhere in the mix.  Ion k much about Waco, but I'm guessing La Vegas got some cool in that neighborhood, but I digress. 

Plenty of b ball drama lined up this weekend in Huntsville & other places.  When the dust settles late Saturday night, Sunday morning the playoff picture will be much clearer.  Hopefully the Silsbee Tigers will be still standing.

8 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

True.  But the way you beat a lesser opponent has meaning too.  On Monday they outscored North Forest in all 4 quarters beating back every potential run and that's against the 14th ranked team.  That's a good platform to build on.  Also they focused a little more on the inside game which will be needed down the stretch.

Maybe North Forest compares favorably to some of the "lesser oppenents" up North, maybe they don't.  I do like the way Silsbee handled that game.   I tuned into the podcast on an iphone, blue toothed that thru the car speakers and before I got two or three blocks away from work it was already 11-2 Silsbee.

It is too early to be discussing Lincoln.  But if you think missing that one player doesn't mean anything you are mistaken.  The rest of these guys are great and have stepped up and done great jobs.  But that player was all state last year, adds depth and is one of our taller players as well as one of our best players at getting to the basket.  These guys will win it without him but he definitely would have meant something.

17 minutes ago, ST413 said:

It is too early to be discussing Lincoln.  But if you think missing that one player doesn't mean anything you are mistaken.  The rest of these guys are great and have stepped up and done great jobs.lBut that player was all state last year, adds depth and is one of our taller players as well as one of our best players at getting to the basket.  These guys will win it without him but he definitely would have meant something.

True Dat.  I was going to let that slide.  You are right ST413.  Can Silsbee win it all without #3, I think so.  It would of been a lot easier with him though.

Lincoln had about 10 or 12 losses Dec '15.  Paris had not lost but  maybe once or twice and was # 1 in 4A.  One of those Paris losses was to Lincoln.  When they played that second time and Lincoln beat them again, the 2nd time by 10, I knew then Lincoln was for real.   Owned them, beat them twice, call it what you want, but Paris faded off the scene after that, in my mind anyway.

Maybe it's different this year.  I don't think Paris is ranked in the top ten, so Ion k about them this season.

4 hours ago, Who That said:

Who Silsbee had close games with and Lincoln had close games with you cannot compare. .lol Silsbee only losses come from teams way better than what Lincoln has played lmo... And if you think that  the one player missing means anything you don't know very much about Silsbee. Just Saying :)

How exactly did you determine that I was comparing anyone to anyone...I said that Silsbee beat them at a point in their season that they were used to winning close games.  They haven't played a team good enough to give them a close game in 2 months.

And if you think that being down a D1 commit won't have an impact on ANY high school team then you don't know very much about basketball.

2 hours ago, ST413 said:

It is too early to be discussing Lincoln.  But if you think missing that one player doesn't mean anything you are mistaken.  The rest of these guys are great and have stepped up and done great jobs.  But that player was all state last year, adds depth and is one of our taller players as well as one of our best players at getting to the basket.  These guys will win it without him but he definitely would have meant something.

Ha I' agree with you I" hate he ain't playing but if folks are thinking Silsbee won't win because of one player now come on ST" you know that's crazy.

32 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

I'll tell you what, Bush has really picked up the slack over the past few games. 3rd time seeing him play was Monday. He is the real deal!!! 

Bush has definitely stepped up and so has everyone else.  I love the way he finishes.

40 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

How exactly did you determine that I was comparing anyone to anyone...I said that Silsbee beat them at a point in their season that they were used to winning close games.  They haven't played a team good enough to give them a close game in 2 months.

And if you think that being down a D1 commit won't have an impact on ANY high school team then you don't know very much about basketball.

I hear what you're saying.  On paper your argument is sound.  We're talking about a young man who is capable of delivering a triple double against any 4A or 5A team, and most 6A teams on any given night.  He can play front court or back court, whatever.  It must mean something.  

But then I'm sitting there Monday night looking up at that scoreboard which reads 124 to 84.  How does it get better than that?  80 to 128 maybe?  Yea I guess that's better.  But seriously?  Maybe the tired old cliche about the others stepping up isn't just a tired old cliche.

We'll see.  There could be match up issues down the road but I don't think so.  I think they can find a way.  As North Forest Coach Woods so aptly put it, "Wow, those dudes are good for real!"   

And lest we forget, we're talking about a sophomore.  As the old saying goes, the best thing about a sophomore is that next year he'll be a junior.  And in this case a wiser junior.  Next year he really will be indispensable.  

9 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

I hear what you're saying.  On paper your argument is sound.  We're talking about a young man who is capable of delivering a triple double against any 4A or 5A team, and most 6A teams on any given night.  He can play front court or back court, whatever.  It must mean something.  

But then I'm sitting there Monday night looking up at that scoreboard which reads 124 to 84.  How does it get better than that?  80 to 128 maybe?  Yea I guess that's better.  But seriously?  Maybe the tired old cliche about the others stepping up isn't just a tired old cliche.

We'll see.  There could be match up issues down the road but I don't think so.  I think they can find a way.  As North Forest Coach Woods so aptly put it, "Wow, those dudes are good for real!"   

And lest we forget, we're talking about a sophomore.  As the old saying goes, the best thing about a sophomore is that next year he'll be a junior.  And in this case a wiser junior.  Next year he really will be indispensable.  

There's no denying that Silsbee is good.  And there's no denying that Silsbee probably has a very deep bench.  I'm just saying that Silsbee hasn't had to play their "top 5" players in 2 months.  All thru district and even thus far in the playoffs Silsbee could've played any combination of 5 players at any time and still won by 50.  Now I'm not a betting man...but if I were I'd bet that Silsbee has their best 5 on the floor of a close game down the stretch of the game.  They haven't had to do that in 2 months....like I said.  But the last time they DID have to do that, there's a good chance that their Baylor commit was in the game.  If I'm wrong then I'm wrong...but I doubt it.  So there are 2 points to my argument here:  First point is that they haven't had to use their "top 5" for a close game situation in 2 months.  Second point is that they are missing one of their top 5 players.  I don't care how deep their bench is...that's gonna make a difference.  Will it make enough of a difference?  Yet to be seen.

I don't think silsbee lost a beat when Devon was taken out. In my honest opinion i think it made them stronger. Yeah Devon is taller, and will get to the basket easier, but Bush is not far behind him. Bush gets to the hole and WILL finish. He also brings something to the table that Devon don't, he'll pull the 3 and will make it. Seeing him play us that 2nd time really opened my eyes on him. The kid really is something special. 

1 hour ago, wosfan1992 said:

I don't think silsbee lost a beat when Devon was taken out. In my honest opinion i think it made them stronger. Yeah Devon is taller, and will get to the basket easier, but Bush is not far behind him. Bush gets to the hole and WILL finish. He also brings something to the table that Devon don't, he'll pull the 3 and will make it. Seeing him play us that 2nd time really opened my eyes on him. The kid really is something special. 

anytime you lose your best player you lose something don't get me wrong Bush is special he is a bad young bull. I agree with you that the team has got closer and they are playing for 3 but just like in state championship game last year. when Devon went out the team rallied all the way back and tied game then had two possessions and couldn't score I believe with Devon out there he woulda got you a bucket whether he scored or assisted because he demands so much attention. Along the lines of you look at Bush in the games the moment not to big for him and he is doing a great job and one of his teammates say he the first in gym and last to leave so hard work does pay off.

2 hours ago, wosfan1992 said:

No offense to you, the kid, the team, or anyone...but you're basing results on what they have done without him and what his backup has done without him against teams that aren't very good.  What will happen when/if they see a team that gives them a game is yet to be determined.  Saying a team is pretty much the same team without their best player is just not true.

I know this is high school...and circumstances are a lot different.  But I like to use the Miami Heat as an example for a situation somewhat similar to this.  They went from NBA finals (multiple times) to not even making the playoffs in 1 year's time just by losing their best player.  Same coach...still had D Wade and Bosh (NBA All Stars).  Take 1 person out of the lineup and they go from best in the East to 9th or worse in the East.

23 minutes ago, Who That said:

He was verbal commit to Baylor. But he has a very bright future so he is holding off. The offers will come rolling in their is nothing this young man can't do on the court. :)

Saw that.  Very impressive to have multiple kids with major D1 offers on the same 4A school.  If they don't win it all within a year or 2 then there is something very wrong.