TABC District Picks

6A districts:

This is the hidden content, please

Local

21-6A 1. North Shore 2. Atascocita 3. Kingwood 4. Goose Creek Memorial

22-6A 1. Pasadena Dobie 2. Deer Park 3. Beaumont West Brook 4. Pasadena Memorial

5A districts:

Local

21-5A 1. Humble 2. Porter 3. Kingwood Park 4. Dayton

22-5A 1. Beaumont Ozen 2. Beaumont Central 3. PA Memorial 4. Nederland

4A districts:

Local

21-4A 1. Lufkin Hudson 2. Jasper 3. Shepherd 4. Diboll

22-4A 1. Silsbee 2. LC-M 3. WO-S 4. Bridge City

23-4A 1. Huffman 2. Hardin-Jefferson 3. Liberty 4. Cleveland

3A districts:

Local

21-3A 1. Hempstead 2. Crockett 3. Trinity 4. New Waverly

22-3A 1. Pollock Central 2. Central Heights 3. Newton 4. Woodville

23-3A 1. Kountze 2. East Chambers 3. Buna 4. Anahuac

2A districts:

Local

20-2A 1. Grapeland 2. Big Sandy 3. Lovelady 4. Centerville

22-2A 1. Tenaha 2. San Augustine 3. Chireno 4. Woden

23-2A 1. West Sabine 2. Lufkin Pineywoods 3. Broaddus 4. Zavalla

24-2A 1. Evadale 2. Sabine Pass 3. Deweyville 4. Hull-Daisetta

1A districts:

Local

28-1A 1. Kennard 2. Martinsville 3. Wells

29-1A 1. Leggett 3. LaMarque Premiere 3. Goodrich

14 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

22-5A is more open than that.  That district is weaker this year compared to past years from top to bottom IMO.

I do believe Ozen will play more team oriented which will do them well.  Central as a 4th place team is surprising given how well their JV and Freshman did last year

730pm is 10 times different than 6pm ...no where near the same competition. 

22 minutes ago, BlkMamba24 said:

730pm is 10 times different than 6pm ...no where near the same competition. 

Your exactly right, but most of your roster consist of players coming from your program via freshman team/jv team.  You cant deny what Central's JV and Freshman Teams  did last year.

so are you saying having a team go undefeated means nothing to the program and that the undefeated season had nothing to do with the quality of players on that team.

5 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Your exactly right, but most of your roster consist of players coming from your program via freshman team/jv team.  You cant deny what Central's JV and Freshman Teams  did last year.

so are you saying having a team go undefeated means nothing to the program and that the undefeated season had nothing to do with the quality of players on that team.

I see a lot of teams with pretty weak freshman and JV teams because they play all those young guys on Varsity. So you have to look at the level of competition a Freshman or JV team plays against.

1 minute ago, winwin said:

I see a lot of teams with pretty weak freshman and JV teams because they play all those young guys on Varsity. So you have to look at the level of competition a Freshman or JV team plays against.

I understand that part of it....But I know who Central's freshman played last year especially pre district games and tournaments. 

Mamba is bias and understandingly so. 

I have no ties to this district just stating my unbiased opinion.

If it comes down to pure shooting well I know one bmt team who will be in trouble, unless a move in came during the summer or players put in a hours among hours of work toward shooting.

59 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I understand that part of it....But I know who Central's freshman played last year especially pre district games and tournaments. 

If it comes down to pure shooting well I know one bmt team who will be in trouble, unless a move in came during the summer or players put in a hours among hours of work toward shooting.

Centrals Freshman team was very strong last year. They played together all summer as well and won a handful of tournaments.

I could easily seeing any of the 4 teams between Ozen, Central, Memorial, and Nederland winning district. 

Central will have 3 of the better players in the district with Arceneaux, Dill, and transfer Jaylon Williams. Nederland has Jones and Howard back along with some more younger guys. Ozen lost three great guards and there big and don't have much "name recognition" but please do not sleep on Pender, Broussard, and Jones. Memorial will also be good with Chatman and other back in tow. This will be a good year reminiscent to the 2013-14 season in terms of a tight district race.  

1 hour ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

I could easily seeing any of the 4 teams between Ozen, Central, Memorial, and Nederland winning district. 

Central will have 3 of the better players in the district with Arceneaux, Dill, and transfer Jaylon Williams. Nederland has Jones and Howard back along with some more younger guys. Ozen lost three great guards and there big and don't have much "name recognition" but please do not sleep on Pender, Broussard, and Jones. Memorial will also be good with Chatman and other back in tow. This will be a good year reminiscent to the 2013-14 season in terms of a tight district race.  

couldn't agree more

3 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

Not biased at all i call it like i see it ...freshman ball doesnt count even tho imo it's better than jv .Ozen freshman lost twice to Central last yr ,Ozen jv went 1-1 ,the second game they lost on a buzzer beater..only 3-4 of those kids from Centrals jv will probably be on varsity so again no bias just saying its a huge difference. In Ozens case all but 4 ouf the 13-14(2jr &2sr)have varisty experience...so like i said its a difference in 6pm & 730pm 

22 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

What does big Sandy have coming back this year?  I know they lost some great players, but I still expected them to be favorites to win their district... They beat Grapeland by 32 last year in the playoffs 

Hard to say. Nornally you can get an idea by watching them over the summer. But Big Sandy had their graduates playing with their summer team at the end of July. Including Angel.

47 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

What does big Sandy have coming back this year?  I know they lost some great players, but I still expected them to be favorites to win their district... They beat Grapeland by 32 last year in the playoffs 

Richard (a junior) is their only returning player from last year's team (but he was a starter and a good one).  The rest of their roster was all seniors.  However, that school is full of gym rats (kids that live in the gym, not the Central variety) and, as we know, are superbly coached.  I expect they will be plenty good, but not the team they were the last 2 years obviously.  I will get a look at them in person next week.  

It is very hard to base it off of freshmen and Jv tems. Silsbee 8th grade team 2 years ago went undefeated. Last year Their 2 best freshmen started on a varsity team who lost in the state championship by 3. I don't know if they even had a freshman team but if they did, they probably would have beat Silsbee's freshman team. It's great to have success at that level, but you can not measure your future off of that!

19 hours ago, BlkMamba24 said:

Not biased at all i call it like i see it ...freshman ball doesnt count even tho imo it's better than jv .Ozen freshman lost twice to Central last yr ,Ozen jv went 1-1 ,the second game they lost on a buzzer beater..only 3-4 of those kids from Centrals jv will probably be on varsity so again no bias just saying its a huge difference. In Ozens case all but 4 ouf the 13-14(2jr &2sr)have varisty experience...so like i said its a difference in 6pm & 730pm 

Captain Obvious.

Freshman ball doesn't count.....hmmmm....have you told them that. 

Whether it be freshman or JV or both  winning traditions are good for varsity programs.

MENTALITY

50 minutes ago, bradyb said:

It is very hard to base it off of freshmen and Jv tems. Silsbee 8th grade team 2 years ago went undefeated. Last year Their 2 best freshmen started on a varsity team who lost in the state championship by 3. I don't know if they even had a freshman team but if they did, they probably would have beat Silsbee's freshman team. It's great to have success at that level, but you can not measure your future off of that!

Really....barring significant injury/transferring out....your telling me fans/coaches/players don't think about a teams future and the possibilities. 

Your right it is hard to base it off those teams, but like I said I know who Central played last year.  Also at the 5A and 6A level very few freshman are on varsity and of those few some don't get much action. There are only a handful of fresh that get significant time on varsity.

I remember a couple of years ago being ridiculed for predicting how good Silsbee was going to be last year and this based on a couple of 8th graders.  I won't mention names (*cough* Nash *cough*) but was told that you can't predict how well a player would do in high school based on how they did in junior high.  To an extent, that is true.  But talent is talent.  Or maybe I got lucky that they actually both were two of the better players on a State Championship team as Freshmen..

4 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I remember a couple of years ago being ridiculed for predicting how good Silsbee was going to be last year and this based on a couple of 8th graders.  I won't mention names (*cough* Nash *cough*) but was told that you can't predict how well a player would do in high school based on how they did in junior high.  To an extent, that is true.  But talent is talent.  Or maybe I got lucky that they actually both were two of the better players on a State Championship team as Freshmen..

2005- Adam Morrison #3 pick in NBA draft

2007- Greg Oden #1 Pick in NBA draft

2009- Hasheem Thabeet #2 Pick in NBA draft

2013- Anthony Bennet #1 Pick 2013  draft

If my memory serves me correctly, the "ridicule" you experienced was me and several others saying it was very difficult if not impossible to predict 5 or 6 contiguous seasons of undefeated play in a district when so many other variables (besides the play of one or two people) can have an effect on a team. These things come in waves and this wave certainly has Silsbee at a big advantage.  But there was a time when the girls at Silsbee seemed unbeatable and had a future with no holes in it.  Those times changed.

51 minutes ago, stevenash said:

2005- Adam Morrison #3 pick in NBA draft

2007- Greg Oden #1 Pick in NBA draft

2009- Hasheem Thabeet #2 Pick in NBA draft

2013- Anthony Bennet #1 Pick 2013  draft

If my memory serves me correctly, the "ridicule" you experienced was me and several others saying it was very difficult if not impossible to predict 5 or 6 contiguous seasons of undefeated play in a district when so many other variables (besides the play of one or two people) can have an effect on a team. These things come in waves and this wave certainly has Silsbee at a big advantage.  But there was a time when the girls at Silsbee seemed unbeatable and had a future with no holes in it.  Those times changed.

If I recall correctly (and I assuredly do), I predicted 3 or less district losses in 5 years. And that both McCain and Adams would be studs as freshmen.  Silly me!