Can we talk about...

3 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

It might not be , I've seen both teams play in person this season and watched the film on WOS, they are my pick to win state, but I'd bet my last dollar you haven't seen liberty play not one second this year. That's the only thing that bugs me, you can be the state favorite , and be dismantling people, but I have never been one to make predictions in sports without seeing 1 second of a team that is playing. And i know wosgrad and some other guys on here have probably watched some liberty film and our confident that they will still win which is fine i probably agree, but it just gets on my nerves all the random people, not just wos fans, who have been saying things like WOS is going to smash liberty just like they did HF, okay we may lose and we may get blown out but if you watch the game it wont be "just like HF" because we are on a whole different level than teams like OF and HF this season. The way you guys talk on here is as if you think liberty is the same ole liberty and THAT'S why WOS is going to beat them, NO, Liberty is much better this year than they have been in 15 years without a doubt, WOS will beat them because WOS is THAT good not because liberty is bad. 

Libert 's offense is going to make WOS play. This is a team with a lot of size. Not at TE and O line like Hj 's class of '15. The Rbs are huge and fast and strong and bruising. Wos has some size, but we shall see Im going to wad some nice predictions and say Lib 21-20

Going back to the original post I believe I was actually one of the first ones on the board to point out that Liberty was getting some props across the state including from DCTF and as a WOS grad I would say please don't generalize and lump us all together. I congratulated you and am genuinely excited to see the Panthers doing well because it's honestly been a while.

I can understand where people are coming from on both sides.

I can't (well I actually could but I'm responding from my phone) count the number of times the WOS Staff and Team have had weeks where they face an undefeated or state ranked team and must remain focused on themselves, getting the job done and not listening to the chatter. More times than not they've won with some exceptions (Silsbee breaking the 30+ game district game winning streak 7 years ago is the most recent example that comes to mind.)

People actually make fun of me because I always get worried when WOS is doing well mostly due to living through those games where we were huge favorites, got complacent or something else happened and didn't win. Paris 1988 State Finals, Ennis 2000 State Finals or games where we came SOOO close but then didn't (Yates 1985, La Marque more than once in the '90s) come to mind. WOS fans get used to the Mustangs winning. Unfortunately that translates into added stress on the kids and coaches because they want to live up to the standard and also not disappoint families and the community and it ALSO translates into a lot of the fans just expecting the same outcome yet again which can come across as arrogant or cocky.

Do I personally believe Liberty will beat WOS this year? No, but that doesn't mean it absolutely 100% couldn't happen. That's why the games are played on the field and not message boards.

I wish the best of injury-free luck to both and who knows... if all the latest rankings/polls/computers are correct we could meet up a 2nd time in the Quarterfinals. OR neither of us could.  We shall see! :)

1 hour ago, setxnative96 said:

Libert 's offense is going to make WOS play. This is a team with a lot of size. Not at TE and O line like Hj 's class of '15. The Rbs are huge and fast and strong and bruising. Wos has some size, but we shall see Im going to wad some nice predictions and say Lib 21-20

I guess Kennedale didn't have size and speed....

9 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

The fact that the defending state champion West Orange-Stark Mustangs and the Liberty Panthers are in the same district and both ranked top 10 in the state of Texas now according to DCTF rankings for 4ADII. From what I have understood Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine and rankings are a really respectable poll/magazine when it comes to Texas sports across the state, but there wasn't a lot of buzz on here about two SETX teams in the SAME district cracking that poll, and from what I'm seeing from past rankings its actually rare that ANY schools from SETX make it into DCTF's rankings, so I just thought this would be more of a topic of conversation since this is setxsports.com lol  ... and ill admit liberty is never this good so I wanna enjoy our time in the spotlight and have you all come on here and congratulate us on how good we are doin lmao nah not really but I do think this deserves some recognition.

For some reason, this thread reminds me of a quote:

"A man doesn't automatically get my respect. He has to get down in the dirt and beg for it." from Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

5 hours ago, setxnative96 said:

I'm sure the defense plans to play. Liberty has its work cut out too. Some comparisons:

Liberty has allowed 117 points through eight games. WO-S has allowed 23. That's a 94-point advantage for WO-S.

Liberty has scored 278 points. WO-S has scored 418. That's a 140-point advantage for the Mustangs.

Liberty won its three closest games by a combined 12 points. WO-S won its three closest games by a combined 111 points. 

38 minutes ago, WOS99 said:

I'm sure the defense plans to play. Liberty has its work cut out too. Some comparisons:

Liberty has allowed 117 points through eight games. WO-S has allowed 23. That's a 94-point advantage for WO-S.

Liberty has scored 278 points. WO-S has scored 418. That's a 140-point advantage for the Mustangs.

Liberty won its three closest games by a combined 12 points. WO-S won its three closest games by a combined 111 points. 

And WOS played MUCH tougher opposition to earn those numbers. 

It's nice to see Liberty having a good year for Liberty.... the only problem is that WOS is having a GREAT year for high school football... 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

And WOS played MUCH tougher opposition to earn those numbers. 

It's nice to see Liberty having a good year for Liberty.... the only problem is that WOS is having a GREAT year for high school football... 

Fans of just about every team WO-S has played came into the week rolling their eyes at the "Mustangs are on a different level" talk and then started the following week trying to convince whomever was next on our schedule of that very same sentiment.

12 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

It might not be , I've seen both teams play in person this season and watched the film on WOS, they are my pick to win state, but I'd bet my last dollar you haven't seen liberty play not one second this year. That's the only thing that bugs me, you can be the state favorite , and be dismantling people, but I have never been one to make predictions in sports without seeing 1 second of a team that is playing. And i know wosgrad and some other guys on here have probably watched some liberty film and our confident that they will still win which is fine i probably agree, but it just gets on my nerves all the random people, not just wos fans, who have been saying things like WOS is going to smash liberty just like they did HF, okay we may lose and we may get blown out but if you watch the game it wont be "just like HF" because we are on a whole different level than teams like OF and HF this season. The way you guys talk on here is as if you think liberty is the same ole liberty and THAT'S why WOS is going to beat them, NO, Liberty is much better this year than they have been in 15 years without a doubt, WOS will beat them because WOS is THAT good not because liberty is bad. 

I've seen Liberty ,and i stand by my statement......It may be a better game by Liberty's standards & I respect that,but   It won't be close...

8 hours ago, Goblin said:

Going back to the original post I believe I was actually one of the first ones on the board to point out that Liberty was getting some props across the state including from DCTF and as a WOS grad I would say please don't generalize and lump us all together. I congratulated you and am genuinely excited to see the Panthers doing well because it's honestly been a while.

I can understand where people are coming from on both sides.

I can't (well I actually could but I'm responding from my phone) count the number of times the WOS Staff and Team have had weeks where they face an undefeated or state ranked team and must remain focused on themselves, getting the job done and not listening to the chatter. More times than not they've won with some exceptions (Silsbee breaking the 30+ game district game winning streak 7 years ago is the most recent example that comes to mind.)

People actually make fun of me because I always get worried when WOS is doing well mostly due to living through those games where we were huge favorites, got complacent or something else happened and didn't win. Paris 1988 State Finals, Ennis 2000 State Finals or games where we came SOOO close but then didn't (Yates 1985, La Marque more than once in the '90s) come to mind. WOS fans get used to the Mustangs winning. Unfortunately that translates into added stress on the kids and coaches because they want to live up to the standard and also not disappoint families and the community and it ALSO translates into a lot of the fans just expecting the same outcome yet again which can come across as arrogant or cocky.

Do I personally believe Liberty will beat WOS this year? No, but that doesn't mean it absolutely 100% couldn't happen. That's why the games are played on the field and not message boards.

I wish the best of injury-free luck to both and who knows... if all the latest rankings/polls/computers are correct we could meet up a 2nd time in the Quarterfinals. OR neither of us could.  We shall see! :)

That was well stated.but I have to easy ur mind some and point out a couple things.first all the teams u mentioned had one common thing that they done to a w.o. team.and that is run the ball !! U can look at whatever year. Same formula!  And I have to give props to that d-line.its probably one of the best group to ever play here.for there era.its the top w.o. defense. And if you flip it to da other side this is the highest scoring w.o. team ever. ND that's not to mention wat KJ is doin on the ST .they have never had a team that dominant in that era.to b totally honest the only team that can beat them are themselves. It's really nice to see liberty get some props.but the matchup situation that w.o. present at them will make it a short nite.i will assure you that it will b 21-0 in the first qtr.they are that gud. I watched liberty tape.and they will have to try to throw the ball early bf it comes blowout city.

Liberty is having a really good year thus far.  I'm happy for the kids and community.  But let's be real.  The level of competition they've played is pretty average I think.  Not knocking the kids...you can only play who's on the schedule.  And they've beaten them all.

But WOS is on a different level.  Literally.  That will not be a good game at all.. WOS will win and make it embarrassing if they choose.

I'm serious when I say Liberty will not have an easy one this week.  And we all saw what WOS did to HJ.

Great season so far Liberty...don't mess it up by getting ahead of yourself.

15 hours ago, bronco pride said:

No there was actually another kid that came with him named Lagarious Mcquirter who had over 200 yds receiving and 4 tds last Friday against Crosby. He was by far our best receiver this year and is about 6"2 with good speed and great hands. I believe he was also the districts long jump champion last year.  Liberty had a really loaded class. 

Lagarious is a good one, there was also a Melton kid who played with that group that moved to celina, is a D1 recruit and has started on the O-line for them..it is really was a loaded class. 

it's no coincidence that Dayton is struggling a little bit and Liberty is doing so well. If you wan't your new coach to succeed over there on your side of the river, don't ask old coach Stewart about X's and O's...ask him about how to do a better job recruiting Liberty

5 hours ago, WOS99 said:

Only see 1 thing wrong, WOS has scored 429 points

I don't think this was intended to be a redo of the WO-S/Liberty prediction thread.

As to the question, it is outstanding that multiple teams out of the district are getting some discussion.  Liberty's 8-0 record is good for Liberty, good for the district, and yes, it is good for West Orange-Stark.  For a team to at least show the appearance of being able to put up some resistance against WO-S is actually refreshing and could make for a sharper Mustang team come the playoffs.  Now, how much resistance will actually happen?  Well, I have made my views known and yes, they sharply differ from those that favor the Liberty cause.

But, I too will sit back and enjoy the enhanced notoriety the district is being given due to Liberty's vast improvement.

Same old song different year. I just cant believe that local people (Fans) don't learn from past history. Every year there is a team that boast that their team is going to knock off WOS. It has been Silsbee, B.C., H.J., Jasper, Nederland and now Liberty. The list goes on and on. The only recent one to do it and not run their mouths was Newton. Outstanding team and fan base similar to WOS.

Final score: WOS- 49  Liberty- 0

5 minutes ago, 78Stang said:

Same old song different year. I just cant believe that local people (Fans) don't learn from past history. Every year there is a team that boast that their team is going to knock off WOS. It has been Silsbee, B.C., H.J., Jasper, Nederland and now Liberty. The list goes on and on. The only recent one to do it and not run their mouths was Newton. Outstanding team and fan base similar to WOS.

Final score: WOS- 49  Liberty- 0

And that game changed both of our teams all the way to Arlington. That's one loss that made sense in the end.

18 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

Hey TexasPanther2012, I like you man and I'm happy that your panthers are having success this year, but to say that y'all are on a whole different level than OF is kinda absurd. Y'all beat us fair and square but we helped y'all out by beating ourselves. We probably had over 200 yards in penalties in that game with 4 chop block calls that put us in 1st and 25 all night long. With our offense you might as well go ahead and punt the ball. (And don't get me started about the chop block calls.) It was a 2 touchdown game man, you're acting like y'all be us 42 - 0. So whole different level is pretty extreme sir. Be happy with your ranking that's a great achievement, but to be honest if y'all are a top 10 team, Orangefield should be in the top 20.

Good luck against WOS, but you might want to worry about those Hawks this Friday.

lol....comes on here demanding respect like Liberty is the best thing since sliced bread. Sit down and give me some of that stuff you're smoking. Liberty is going to get their bell rung (no pun intended) come next Friday night. It won't be a competition. Really not sure how you can talk about wos fans being over confident when you're doing the same for Liberty. Smh. 

21 hours ago, TexasPanther2012 said:

The fact that the defending state champion West Orange-Stark Mustangs and the Liberty Panthers are in the same district and both ranked top 10 in the state of Texas now according to DCTF rankings for 4ADII. From what I have understood Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine and rankings are a really respectable poll/magazine when it comes to Texas sports across the state, but there wasn't a lot of buzz on here about two SETX teams in the SAME district cracking that poll, and from what I'm seeing from past rankings its actually rare that ANY schools from SETX make it into DCTF's rankings, so I just thought this would be more of a topic of conversation since this is setxsports.com lol  ... and ill admit liberty is never this good so I wanna enjoy our time in the spotlight and have you all come on here and congratulate us on how good we are doin lmao nah not really but I do think this deserves some recognition.

In response to the original topic, I think most people check the official AP poll if anything. I don't know that I have ever checked DCTF's rankings. In fact, I only really look at that poll to see how the top teams fared that week. 

Congrats on a great year so far. I don't mean to sell your team short by predicting a very convincing win. While this might be the best Liberty team in a long time, this - so far (knock on wood) - is also the best WO-S team in a very long time, and we are talking about a team that made it to the state finals the last two years and has gone at least four rounds deep for several years before that.

I just pray that none of the Mustangs are reading their own forum topics and press clips.