West Orange-Stark 55 Bridge City 0/FINAL

WOSgrad

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I remember a former player out of Midland named Tyrone Thurman.  He was a 5'3" wr/kick returner.  Texas Tech took him because he was a local kid and Spike coached him at Lee before going to Tech as an assistant.   He ended up being a first team all American his senior year at Tech.  

And KJ reminds me a LOT of Thurman.  

Spot on, exactly right ... Guns up!!!

9 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Oh, and you don't get your behind whipped on the line of scrimmage and move the ball, I don't care what offense you run.  And their big uns were a LOT better than your big uns.  

Speaking of, as is often the case, WOS's O Line probably doesn't get enough love.  Those guys do a FANTASTIC job.  The Mustangs are nasty in the trenches!

Another great assessment.....JD3 and the PYP crew get all the credit but it's the guys up front that make it go. Shout out to Bull and those boys up front. #oline #trenchezboys

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

I remember a former player out of Midland named Tyrone Thurman.  He was a 5'3" wr/kick returner.  Texas Tech took him because he was a local kid and Spike coached him at Lee before going to Tech as an assistant.   He ended up being a first team all American his senior year at Tech.  

And KJ reminds me a LOT of Thurman.  

Reminds me more of a guy named Roy Williams who played for West Orange Chiefs. He would run 99, 100, 102 yard Td,s back on teams like Jasper, Silsbee, and Livingston. They would kick it to him and he made them pay.

WOS had a #4 similar to KJ maybe a couple years ago and he was a Morris also, Maurice Morris. wondering is he kin to the Jarron Morris on the team now, anybody know? but he went to play football at Sam Houston State and now currently playing at East Texas Baptist University. Kid had SERIOUS burners. Was a friend of my son. So i feel if coaches gave him a chance KJ will have one also with patience.

4 minutes ago, ladybug33 said:

Reminds me more of a guy named Roy Williams who played for West Orange Chiefs. He would run 99, 100, 102 yard Td,s back on teams like Jasper, Silsbee, and Livingston. They would kick it to him and he made them pay.

Here's a video on Tyrone.  You guys tell me if you don't see a lot of him in #4.  I don't know if KJ will play football or baseball in college but he is good enough to play both.  And you're right ladybug.  I could see him as a kid who would have everyone talking if he went to your alma mater, UofH.  

5 minutes ago, ladybug33 said:

Williams, Teate, Long, Bingham, January, Cleveland, Spears and many more come to mind. 

6 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Here's a video on Tyrone.  You guys tell me if you don't see a lot of him in #4.  I don't know if KJ will play football or baseball in college but he is good enough to play both.  And you're right ladybug.  I could see him as a kid who would have everyone talking if he went to your alma mater, UofH.  

Yes they are similar Kj bigger though you right.

53 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

WOS had a #4 similar to KJ maybe a couple years ago and he was a Morris also, Maurice Morris. wondering is he kin to the Jarron Morris on the team now, anybody know? but he went to play football at Sam Houston State and now currently playing at East Texas Baptist University.

Maurice & Jarron are brothers

On September 10, 2016 at 11:11 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Post game thoughts... I knew that WOS is great this year, and we knew what we needed to do if we had any chance of winning. We obviously did not do those things. WOS's D is filthy, and the last thing we needed to do is kick over the hornet's nest. I'm a homer all of the way, but I have no problem with the way the game was played by WOS. 

My hat is off to the young men from WOS.  Not only did they play a fantastic game, but they were very, VERY sportsmanlike in what could have been an ugly game. I can't overstate what a fine group of competitors that proved themselves to be. The postgame pleasantries between Coach Dubois and some of our players reaching out to the victim of this weeks racial hatred, and his receptiveness to their gestures was a great thing, I believe.

WOS's field goal game needs some work before they get deep into the playoffs.  Otherwise I don't see any weak spots.  

We need to throw all of our cell phones into Cow Bayou and stay the hell off of social media.  

We'll be a better team for having played a highly motivated WOS team. 

I've got to reiterate what a fine group of young men are taking the field for WOS this year. Y'all should be proud. I'm glad I can go back to being a WOS fan after this disaster of a week and game. 

Well done, sir!

On September 10, 2016 at 11:36 PM, TxHoops said:

Well, that was a lot of fun.  The WOS fans were great tonight.  A lot of good positive energy in the stands tonight and we, along with some of our Porr Arthur friends, enjoyed the experience.  

It was my first time to see the Mustangs tonight and they were as good as advertised.  Actually probably better.   As all have said, you are not going to beat (and really not even score) on that defense if you are not a serious threat to throw the ball.  BC's passing game isn't even a concern against a defense like theirs.  It was more likely to result in a turnover than a positive play.

The best defense I've seen in my lifetime at the HS level was the '83 Daingerfield team.   They were a 3A team (would be 4A now) but I believe they gave up 9 points the entire season.  I wouldn't put the Mustangs on that level just yet but they certainly have that "feel."  They are downright dominant at the line of scrimmage and from what I was able to see with limited reps, pretty darn good in the back as well.  It will be interesting to see how they fare against a spread-type offense.  I wish they saw more of that around here.

And a word to the wise (as Cardinal Backer said more eloquently) to future opponents, stay the heck off social media.  You don't try to grab a snake by the tail.  Silsbee spent the summer poking the bear so I have no doubt they have a little something coming.  The rest of the teams on the schedule would do well by learning from others' transgressions...

The Daingerfield defense gave up 0 points all season. There was only 6 points total scored and that was a fumble returned for a TD against their offense. That was back in 1983, I believe. It would be very difficult to imagine that happening today with the spread offense so prevelant, but you never know.

On 9/10/2016 at 10:42 AM, WOS99 said:

Wade's first coaching job was at Stark.

Yeah, Adolph Hryhorchuk tried to get Wade Phillups hired as Head Football coach at West Orange, in 1972, but the less knowledgeable school board, listened to an even less knowledgeable Bob Franks, and hired Liar Glen Green, who was nothing more than an 8th grade football coach.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:37 AM, bronco pride said:

Damn WOS now I know I'm being a little unrealistic but it would be cool to shut out everybody left. Emphasis on a little unrealistic. Congrats on another win and y'all are some bad boys over there.

Not going to happen. It would be one for the record books, though.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:18 AM, ladybug33 said:

That was in 1974, the one year that Green had talented players, despite his horrible coaching. Dummy was fast!

7 hours ago, setxnative96 said:

Can someone inform me on who is WOS main squeeze on offense and defense

WO-S does not have a designated "super player." This fact made the team "unimpressive" to some Celina fans last year when we beat them in the state championship game. Too many fans are accustomed to seeing a dominant player with off the chart statistics leading a team to success, especially in HS football. The wording of your question confirms my point about that. 

WO-S plays a TEAM brand of football in every sense of that term. On offense, the ball is distributed around to multiple receivers and we rotate two tailbacks. On defense, our leading tackler varies from game to game. We have some college recruits on both sides of the ball, but not a single player that carries the team. Some might say Jack Dallas fits that description, but Jack's stats have been modest so far. In the first three games, WO-S has benefitted from good starting field position thanks to strong kickoff and punt returns. Also, our kicking game is improved. This is the most complete team WO-S has fielded in many years because all three phases of the game are in good shape.  

Future opponents will not be able to key on stopping a single offensive player or blocking one main player on defense. It's TEAM football.