I think the sheer numbers are what makes people scratch their heads some. The actual economics of it for a city the size of McKinney aren't bad at all. Still a huge number for academics to come to terms with when you think of what that could provide for regular students. I think there are 3 or 4 more ISD's that could build/are building stadiums like this pretty soon if they so chose. Most interesting part of it is the stadium is estimated to cost $300k more than Katy's, probably just to say they have the most expensive stadium in the state.

Crazy, I remember when we lived in Katy from 2001-2006, the tax rate was crazy. If I remember right, they passed numerous bonds during that time to build schools to keep up with the tremendous growth out there. My taxes and insurance were around $12k for a $170k home. I'm all for nice facilities whether it's schools or stadiums, but I think that's too extreme. You can build a very nice football stadium for 20-25 million that all 3 schools can play at IMO.

Doing pretty good for a school district whose last appearance in a state championship game was 30 years ago.  On related note, the team that beat them then plays its home games in the same stadium that they did when they beat them for the state title back in 1986.

TradeupBH, I am not sure that those who say that it is worth it have had to shell out the taxes like when we were residents of Katy ISD.  I have a feeling that while not all would change their tune,many would if they did.

7 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Just to put this into perspective for some of us, can someone tell us what "The Butch" cost to build?  I see no reason to ever build anything bigger or "nicer" than that.  And that would only be if multiple schools were utilizing it like is the case in BISD.

Butch definitely my favorite stadium in setx

17 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

Doing pretty good for a school district whose last appearance in a state championship game was 30 years ago.  On related note, the team that beat them then plays its home games in the same stadium that they did when they beat them for the state title back in 1986.

TradeupBH, I am not sure that those who say that it is worth it have had to shell out the taxes like when we were residents of Katy ISD.  I have a feeling that while not all would change their tune,many would if they did.

It may be a while down the road but there's another district on 75 where the real money in Dallas resides outside of Highland Park. When that district decides it's time for a new stadium, it will become the new crown jewel of THSF. The district already has two nice stadiums but you can bet the egos in that part of town will want the best one, the residents could care less about the actual product on the field.    

On 5/10/2016 at 8:32 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

I think the sheer numbers are what makes people scratch their heads some. The actual economics of it for a city the size of McKinney aren't bad at all. Still a huge number for academics to come to terms with when you think of what that could provide for regular students. I think there are 3 or 4 more ISD's that could build/are building stadiums like this pretty soon if they so chose. Most interesting part of it is the stadium is estimated to cost $300k more than Katy's, probably just to say they have the most expensive stadium in the state.

Yeah but that money is from a bond voted on by the people in the community. They elected to raise their taxes for the specific purpose of paying for the stadium in their community. Not one dime of state funded money will go to that stadium or be taken from academic money. The citizens are electing to privately raise the funds within their community.

And go slide into a school in McKinney, they are hurting for funds in the classroom, the campuses are immaculate, every kid and teacher has access to iPads and in class technology. Trust me they arent taking school funds to build a stadium, the people are offering as a community to use their own money to raise the funds for a Complex. They just put more of an emphasis on every thing that has to do with education in the Dallas Fort worth area. With the exception of Barbers Hill and Goose Creek, not one school in SETX can even come close to compete with starting base teacher pay, coaching pay, etc. etc. etc. They spend the money to attract professionals who will help their students achieve, and make them not want to leave because they are in a professional environment that compensates them for the work they do.  

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It may be a while down the road but there's another district on 75 where the real money in Dallas resides outside of Highland Park. When that district decides it's time for a new stadium, it will become the new crown jewel of THSF. The district already has two nice stadiums but you can bet the egos in that part of town will want the best one, the residents could care less about the actual product on the field.    

Highland Park will never build a new stadium. They have no room to build anything else. Just to expand the high school they had to build a basement.

23 hours ago, GCMPats said:

$62.8 million - Three high schools- $20.9 million per school. 

(I wish GCCISD could just build a $20 million dollar stadium.)

Allen has 1 high school and spent $60 million.

We cant even fill the stadium we have now.  Why would we want a 20 million dollar stadium.

24 minutes ago, GCMinTheFuture said:

We cant even fill the stadium we have now.  Why would we want a 20 million dollar stadium.

If you build it, they will come.

We can't just let everything rust and deteriorate. Stallworth was once the premiere facility in East Texas. We need to at least throw some paint on it and fix the parking lots.

3 hours ago, GCMPats said:

If you build it, they will come.

We can't just let everything rust and deteriorate. Stallworth was once the premiere facility in East Texas. We need to at least throw some paint on it and fix the parking lots.

The Stadium itself is the largest in Houston. But it needs better turf, paved parking lot and new concessions, restrooms and locker rooms. A ski lift to get you up higher in the stands for us fat boys would be nice too.

5 hours ago, John Blutarsky said:

The Stadium itself is the largest in Houston. But it needs better turf, paved parking lot and new concessions, restrooms and locker rooms. A ski lift to get you up higher in the stands for us fat boys would be nice too.

Well, new turf- done.

Parking lots are supposed to be repaired when they add the new Transportation Center.

The rest ain't happening any time soon.