Lumberton's field

4 hours ago, kicker said:

I could see Silsbee hosting some of the small school playoffs. Unfortunately, WOS isn't centrally located to anything. I'm not even sure if there has ever been a playoff game held there period.Geographically, we are the most "tucked away in the corner" Highschool in the State. 

They hosted one back in the late '80s or early '90s, it was Newton vs. Hamshire-Fannett.  But you are right, the installation of turf isn't going to bring playoff football to Orange.

Silsbee might get some looks once they get turf, but the one that will be probably be line for looks will be East Chambers once they get their turf in next year.

57 minutes ago, kicker said:

I could see Silsbee hosting some of the small school playoffs. Unfortunately, WOS isn't centrally located to anything. I'm not even sure if there has ever been a playoff game held there period.Geographically, we are the most "tucked away in the corner" Highschool in the State. 

17 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

They hosted one back in the late '80s or early '90s, it was Newton vs. Hamshire-Fannett.  Buy you are right, the installation of turf isn't going to bring playoff football to Orange.

Silsbee might get some looks once they get turf, but the one that will be probably be line for looks will be East Chambers once they get their turf in next year.

Ok so who cares whether or not WOS hosts a playoff game.  How about just rewarding the kids that go to school there for being consistently relevant in state competition.  Being a constant winner should be rewarded.  I've bought my kids a lot of crap they probably didn't necessarily need, but it was one of the many ways I expressed how much I care about them.  No different.  High school kids feel appreciated when they get nice, new stuff to represent the school with.

It'll still save money in maintenance costs.  This whole "it was good enough for us" attitude that consumes SETX is getting old.  And quite a tragedy.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Ok so who cares whether or not WOS hosts a playoff game.  How about just rewarding the kids that go to school there for being consistently relevant in state competition.  Being a constant winner should be rewarded.  I've bought my kids a lot of crap they probably didn't necessarily need, but it was one of the many ways I expressed how much I care about them.  No different.  High school kids feel appreciated when they get nice, new stuff to represent the school with.

It'll still save money in maintenance costs.  This whole "it was good enough for us" attitude that consumes SETX is getting old.  And quite a tragedy.

+1

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

I think the young men at WO-S know how much they are appreciated and for that matter probably less concerned about the type of turf at ole' Dan R. Hooks than any of us.

Kj Dad, td, am I wrong?

Yeah...good idea.  Keep coming up with reasons that justify not doing it.  "They already know they're appreciated".  "Nobody will want to play us".

Like I said..sometimes is good to do it just because they may deserve it.  The best gifts I ever got in life are ones I didn't want or ask for.

3 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

33 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Yeah...good idea.  Keep coming up with reasons that justify not doing it.  "They already know they're appreciated".  "Nobody will want to play us".

Like I said..sometimes is good to do it just because they may deserve it.  The best gifts I ever got in life are ones I didn't want or ask for.

Well, that last post was more of a tongue in cheek reference to another situation.  I thought you'd recognize that, but your somewhat emotional response to it indicates that you see turf as something that should be installed simply so that their fans can yell out to the world "Hey, we are 'spessel' we have turf."  Turf and indoor practice facilities and whatnot do not make a football program special or elite, it just makes it a program with a bunch of stuff.

The one thing that I did mean in that last post is that I would love to see field turf in West Orange.  However, I trust the members of the board of trustees, all of whom can be seen at Mustang football games on a regular basis and one of which is a former Mustang starting QB and has a son who was a member of this year's state championship squad, when they say that currently the West Orange-Cove CISD can not afford this luxury.  And let's be clear, no matter how heartily you think that every program should have field turf...it IS a luxury.

4 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Most school districts can't afford "like to haves" they have higher priorities.  High school kids should appreciate that they are getting a good education that will help them later in life .   You don't buy appreciation, you earn it.

1 hour ago, bigdog said:

Most school districts can't afford "like to haves" they have higher priorities.  High school kids should appreciate that they are getting a good education that will help them later in life .   You don't buy appreciation, you earn it.

Do me a favor..make me a list of playoff games WOS has played on grass fields the last 5 years.  Let's compare.  Tell you what..make me a list of playoff games that were on grass fields last year.  It won't take long.

I mean..if "it doesn't matter"... And the kids technically should just be grateful to be in the playoffs..  Tell me the reason you think coaches play playoff games (majority) on turf fields.  With nice venues and nice facilities.  Why?

Do me a favor list all of the turf fields that have caused a team to win a state championship or make the playoffs,  I'll wait.  

Location and the coin flip/or decision by the coaches  on location determine playoff locations in the early rounds.  If its not a home/home flip then they choose a location that is closer to them or if they cant agree  convenient (most of the time ) for both teams. WO-S played Scarbrough at Stallworth (The Butch was being used),  Wharton at Channelview (roughly half-way), Bellville and Caldwell at Porter.  You also need to realize that the 4A schools are a lot more spread out than the 5A and 6A schools are and are also competing with those schools for locations.

1 hour ago, bigdog said:

Do me a favor list all of the turf fields that have caused a team to win a state championship or make the playoffs,  I'll wait.  

Location and the coin flip/or decision by the coaches  on location determine playoff locations in the early rounds.  If its not a home/home flip then they choose a location that is closer to them or if they cant agree  convenient (most of the time ) for both teams. WO-S played Scarbrough at Stallworth (The Butch was being used),  Wharton at Channelview (roughly half-way), Bellville and Caldwell at Porter.  You also need to realize that the 4A schools are a lot more spread out than the 5A and 6A schools are and are also competing with those schools for locations.

Thanks for waiting.  It didn't cause...but funny coincidence. 

11 man State Champs THAT HAVE turf fields.

15-16.  Bremond, Canadian, Brock, Waskom, Waco La Vega, Richmond George Ranch, Northshore, Katy

14-15. Canadian, Bremond, Cameron Yoe, Waskom, Navasota, Gilmer, Aledo, Ennis, Allen, Cedar Hill

13-14. Cameron Yoe, Cisco, Carthage, Argyle, Denton Guyer, Aledo, Allen, Cedar Hill

12-13.  Cameron Yoe, Stephenville, Navasota, Denton Guyer, Cedar Park,  Allen, Katy

11-12. Teneha, Refugio, Tyler Chapel Hill, Wimberly, Austin Lake Travis, Aledo, Southlake Carroll, Spring Dekaney

Here...would've been easier to do this.  Out of the last 50 Texas state champions....there were 7 that play on grass.  Stamford, Wellington, Munday, East Bernard, Mason, Melissa,....and WOS.

And I know how fields are picked for playoff games.  Thanks.  I also know that coaches always try to reserve nice fields.  

56 minutes ago, RaiderGirl2010 said:

People on Facebook amaze me. They are saying this is nothing but Ignorance by Lumberton because Lumberton is doing this after what happened to Deweyvile 

I simply don't get what the two have to do with each other.

19 minutes ago, dayton said:

what happened in deweyville? did they get turf? thought they remodeled but wasn't sure

What the Trinity river recently did in your area, the Sabine did to Deweyville.  But Deweyville got it a LOT worse.  But as bad as that is for Deweyville, I don't understand how that has anything to do with Lumberton doing much needed maintenance and upgrades to our Track and Field.  

3 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Thanks for waiting.  It didn't cause...but funny coincidence. 

11 man State Champs THAT HAVE turf fields.

15-16.  Bremond, Canadian, Brock, Waskom, Waco La Vega, Richmond George Ranch, Northshore, Katy

14-15. Canadian, Bremond, Cameron Yoe, Waskom, Navasota, Gilmer, Aledo, Ennis, Allen, Cedar Hill

13-14. Cameron Yoe, Cisco, Carthage, Argyle, Denton Guyer, Aledo, Allen, Cedar Hill

12-13.  Cameron Yoe, Stephenville, Navasota, Denton Guyer, Cedar Park,  Allen, Katy

11-12. Teneha, Refugio, Tyler Chapel Hill, Wimberly, Austin Lake Travis, Aledo, Southlake Carroll, Spring Dekaney

Here...would've been easier to do this.  Out of the last 50 Texas state champions....there were 7 that play on grass.  Stamford, Wellington, Munday, East Bernard, Mason, Melissa,....and WOS.

And I know how fields are picked for playoff games.  Thanks.  I also know that coaches always try to reserve nice fields.  

That's not good enough for the people of SE Texas. They've been doing it this way for the last 80 years. Didn't you know....

57 minutes ago, RayJr said:

That's not good enough for the people of SE Texas. They've been doing it this way for the last 80 years. Didn't you know....

Whatever.  Like I said no turf field has won a championship.  It comes down to the coaches and players.  And as far as facilities go ; money.   This area is slowly upgrading but for every one team he listed that has won state I can list multiple that have "top of the line facilities" that hasn't.

Let's do this! As we have spoken about programs in Southeast Texas and how they should have artificial turf, let's see how the teams that are in districts covered by SETXsports who play their games on artificial turf fared.  I have listed those teams under the SETXsports umbrella that play their home games on artificial turf, what their records were and when their seasons ended.  So let us begin:

21-6A

Baytown Sterling - 4-6 - Missed playoffs

Beaumont West Brook - 6-5 - Eliminated in bi-district

Channelview - 7-4 - Eliminated in bi-district

Deer Park - 4-6 - Missed playoffs

Galena Park North Shore - 13-3 - State Champions

La Porte - 8-3 - Eliminated in bi-district

Port Arthur Memorial - 3-7 - Missed playoffs

21-5A

Barbers Hill - 4-6 - missed playoffs

Crosby - 11-1 - eliminated in area

Dayton - 7-4 - eliminated in bi-district

Galena Park - 2-8 - missed playoffs

Humble - 4-6 - missed playoffs

Kingwood Park - 3-7 missed playoffs

New Caney - 7-4 - eliminated in bi-district

Porter - 1-9 - missed playoffs

Sheldon C.E. King - 9-3 - eliminated in area

22-5A

Baytown Lee - 0-10 - Missed playoffs

Beaumont Central - 5-6 - Eliminated in bi-district

Beaumont Ozen - 5-5 - Missed playoffs

Goose Creek Memorial - 4-6 - Missed playoffs

Port Neches-Groves - 9-3 - Eliminated in area

10-4A-I

Huffman Hargrave - 6-5 - Eliminated in bi-district

8-4A-II

Madisonville - 1-9 - Missed playoffs

9-4A-II

No schools have artificial turf

11-3A-I

Hardin - 3-7 - Missed playoffs

Woodville - 7-4 - Eliminated in bi-district

10-3A-II

Crockett - 10-4 - Eliminated in State Quarterfinals (Regional finals)

10-2A-I

Beckville - 11-2 - Eliminated in regional semis

San Augustine - 6-6 - Eliminated in area

Shelbyville - 12-1 - Eliminated in State Quarterfinals

12-2A-I

12-2A-II

16-1A-I

16-1A-II

TAPPS 3-I

Houston St. Thomas - 10-2 - Eliminated in State Semifinals

TAPPS 4-III

The Woodlands Christian - 7-4 - Eliminated in First Round

So, of the 31 schools that we cover that have artificial turf, 3 (9.7 %) played football in December, as opposed to 22 (71%) who missed the playoffs altogether or played only one playoff game.

As I have said several times, I hope my alma mater finds the means to make the investment in artificial turf for it's football field...I hope all schools in the area eventually find that means and I applaud those school districts that have already.  At the same time, I refuse to brand those school districts who have not been able to as "backwards" or "stuck in the past."

And Ray, Jr., I see that you have decided to add to the chorus.  I have also noticed that the school that you support is also amongst this list.  Why don't you let us in on how many playoff games they have been involved in since they put turf in?