Woodville AD/HC

slickarick1

2 hours ago, SilsbeeFootball15 said:

hopefully they only get one Mackey

I don't know.... His dad lost his OC position, but the kid has the skills to help the old man succeed at a new HC gig?  I'd probably make the jump, friends or not.  

Basically the only difference in the schools is Silsbee blares the theme from Rocky III and Woodville is all about the original Rocky. 

27 minutes ago, Woodville89 said:

I hope for our kids sake we can get a proven Coach who wants to build a long term quality program. These kids have been through 3 Coaches in 4 years. Come on Admin,bring us a real Football Coach ! This late in the game there are not a lot of guys with Coach Mackey's experience out there.

I think you'd be surprised. Rest assured, a good hire will be made. 

10 hours ago, Woodville89 said:

It's hard to rest when the clock is ticking . There is only 30 days of School left for a new Coach to come teach a system to Coaches and kids. On top of that there are not many Coaches left to help him . 

I understand your frustration. I would expect something done by the end of the week.

2 hours ago, slickarick1 said:

hope this guy doesn't back out like the last. I wonder if thats why they are waiting so long want to be a 100%. Needs to be done for kids and program sake. Still think they should have offered it to nelson first. Would have been done and over with. Been a great Hire IMO. 

Nelson would've been a good hire. But I think it's obvious there were better applicants, and I'm sure whoever they hire, whether it's Mackey or some other names I've heard through the grapevine, it will be a good hire. Just be patient. 

I third the Nelson , for AD HD FB. A guy has to get his first Head Job somewhere and it's not this has been a power house. The kids respect him more than anyone who was in the program . The new guy better be a butt kicker hit ground running . He has a system to put in ,not many coaches to do it with and not much time to do it in . If he doesn't make a good impression on these kids now, he won't have many in the fall .

13 hours ago, Woodville89 said:

I third the Nelson , for AD HD FB. A guy has to get his first Head Job somewhere and it's not this has been a power house. The kids respect him more than anyone who was in the program . The new guy better be a butt kicker hit ground running . He has a system to put in ,not many coaches to do it with and not much time to do it in . If he doesn't make a good impression on these kids now, he won't have many in the fall .

Agreed. Loosing Nelson, and a Great atheltic trainer. Both very respected by all students. That goes a long way to success of a program. Although My opinion doesn't matter, wish the board and sup would have seen this as well. Sometimes, great looking resume and a little success else where doesn't correlate to first season  success due to athletes and coaches not melding and being on the same page. Good luck to whoever gets this one.

The years keep rolling by and we keep starting over . We need to think about our kids, continuity would go a long away . The School Board in Woodville is not involved. They just approve or disapprove  the recommendation of the Supt. I hope  they don't didn't hire a job hopper like the last one. If it's the 2a guy currently in south tx mentioned earlier in this post maybe a good Coach but he doesn't stay anywhere long . We need discipline,  someone who genuinely cares for our kids and wants to be apart of our community. When you come her and never buy a house it's a dead give away !

We, as a community, feel the same way. I can assure you that the school board wants a long-term solution to the football program, but that is much easier said than done. You dont find a Curtis Barbay every day. Those kinds of coaches are 1 in a hundred thousand. With the names they have considered, I can honestly say that, while the continuity point is valid, hiring Nelson was not and STILL is not our beat option. Yes, that may mean a new system, but Waldie did it in a summer and saw major improvements. We went to the playoffs last year, so why would this be taking a step back at all? Especially if we are able to hire a coach who many consider better than our previous one? He may not come in and completely change the system. A good coach realizes talent and does what he can to develop his offense around his talent. So, instead of criticizing the efforts of a board whose ONLY concern is those kids in the high school, let's please take a step back and realize that Woodville High School football is still in an amazing position to be very successful in the next few years. There is TONS of talent coming up through their pipeline. I won't tell you his name, but, if you'd like to meet the coach they are considering for hire, attend the school board meeting tomorrow night. Every board meeting is open to the public and the publics' opinion is very much welcomed. 

Not that this needs to be said again, but there is a special board meeting tomorrow night to (hopefully) confirm the hire of a new HFC/BAD. Like I've said multiple times now, I will not say any names until I am 100% positive that it is official. So, stay tuned. Lol

On 4/15/2016 at 9:07 AM, thatdudetornado said:

Agreed. Loosing Nelson, and a Great atheltic trainer. Both very respected by all students. That goes a long way to success of a program. Although My opinion doesn't matter, wish the board and sup would have seen this as well. Sometimes, great looking resume and a little success else where doesn't correlate to first season  success due to athletes and coaches not melding and being on the same page. Good luck to whoever gets this one.

Coach Nelson was a great defensive coordinator, and will do well in Daingerfield with Coach Waldie as well. Transitioning into a head coaching position from an assistant position without a long tenure at that school is a much more difficult process than most people think. This is not even considering the fact that he has no head coaching experience. Being from Woodville, as I assume you are, you know very well the amount of and types of problems the head coaches stumble upon all the time. It's not easy to come into a school like Woodville and handle those problems (parents) well.

Again, Nelson is a great coach and will make a great HC one day. But, as was stated before, we have the talent to win now. Our players are starting to develop and gain experience, so why shouldn't we expect that same experience and development out of our HC?