Dallas Lincoln 75 Silsbee 72/Final

Silsbee only lost by 3 if they would have won then they would be criticized for being lucky as opposed to just winning the game like I said before you can hate how they play all day they fought back and gave themselves a chance to win but just couldn't get over the hump somebody gotta win somebody gotta lose we just couldn't get it done.

Oldschool2 I know you know a lot about the game but if you choose to play man against a team that has 10 players better than your best one you are in big trouble which is easily the case against most teams in Silsbee's district. There is a HUGE difference in knowing how to play man and having the personell to do it effectively. A matchup zone can cover up some weaknesses. 

8 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Oldschool2 I know you know a lot about the game but if you choose to play man against a team that has 10 players better than your best one you are in big trouble which is easily the case against most teams in Silsbee's district. There is a HUGE difference in knowing how to play man and having the personell to do it effectively. A matchup zone can cover up some weaknesses. 

If you play a team with 10 players better than your best player it doesn't matter what you do.

You will never convince me that any team has to play zone over man defense.  There is no other defense in existence (when done correctly) that can effectively stop a team from scoring in a half court offense.  All zones leave holes.  Effective skip passes, getting the ball to the middle, and simply being able to hit shots KILLS ALL zone defenses.

It is not a coincidence that every professional team in the world and 95% of all college teams play man defense.  It's the only effective way to guard your side of the floor.

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

If you play a team with 10 players better than your best player it doesn't matter what you do.

You will never convince me that any team has to play zone over man defense.  There is no other defense in existence (when done correctly) that can effectively stop a team from scoring in a half court offense.  All zones leave holes.  Effective skip passes, ghole ball to the middle, and simply being able to hit shots KILLS ALL zone defenses.

It is not a coincidence that every professional team in the world and 95% of all college teams play man defense.  It's the only effective way to guard your side of the floor.

The Lakers in the 80's use to play a 122 half court trap just Dallas did when they beat the heat...more college teams and pro teams play zone...GET OUT HERE BASKETBALL GUY....

2 minutes ago, show me love said:

The Lakers in the 80's use to play a 122 half court trap just Dallas did when they beat the heat...more college teams and pro teams play zone...GET OUT HERE BASKETBALL GUY....

Easy to find a few exceptions.

Do me a favor...March madness (greatest single sports event in history) is about to start. Watch as many games as you can and count how many teams play zone defense for at least half of the game. I'll be curious to know your findings.

29 minutes ago, show me love said:

A good man defense is played like a zone and a good zone defense is played like a man...

Duke, TXAM, Louisville, Syracuse, Texas, North Carolina, to name a few...do I need to go on...

You sound like a  trump supporters " Lets make America great again"...lol

Trump supporter? Why?.. Did I misspell something.  As far as politics go...I'm actually thinking about not voting for the first time in years.  Only reason I might is to cancel out someone's Bernie/Hillary vote.

As far as basketball...all those schools are zone teams huh? Majority of the game?  I think you ought to pay a little closer attention.  I personally like Texas decision to hire Smart.  I loved VCU while he was there...one of the last diamond press guys left.  Tribute to Billy Donovan.  But half court...they play man my friend.  Like I said...pay closer attention.

Syracuse yes for certain.  They run a 2-3 zone a good majority of the game and always have.  I like watching them in fact just to see what other coaches try to do against it.  Never changes..get the ball to the middle.  Syracuse only traps in the short corner so overloading one side wouldn't work.  They rotate well, help well, and recruit the perfect players for doing it.  However..they also see man defense most games, so they have to practice it often.  Otherwise they wouldn't have an efficient man offense like they do.  But they do.  And they do jump in man from time to time so they must work it pretty hard as well.

Like I said..easy to find exceptions.  I'm pretty sure I said 95%.

1 hour ago, Lazeek said:

-13 with Devon

+10 without Devon

Emotion, Lincoln playing not to lose and refs letting the Tigers do what they do best is what got the Tigers back in the game.  I also give tons of credit to Newton, he played great in that 2nd half.

Yes that's the point differentials and can't argue the point really with it but he went down at the beginning of us getting on a roll so hard to argue what might or might not have been. But w e definitely could have used his ability to take over like his brother did.  Maybe with both he and Bruce in.

Game came down to Silsbee not being able to run a half court offense all year Silsbee relied on turnovers to create offense...which is why I said before the game started that if Lincoln had at least decent guard play they could very well beat Silsbee....Silsbee plays very wild especially on defense a lot of gambling on the press leaving people wide-open for easy buckets Lincoln simply took advantage of that. Silsbee got back in the game off Lincoln turning the ball over if Silsbee wants to beat good teams next year they'd better understand that you can't press everybody especially not a team with elite guard play you'd get killed. Same problem Yates have...one reason Ozen was so good the past two years is because they can play a slow half court game or up and down fast paced one.

2 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Game came down to Silsbee not being able to run a half court offense all year Silsbee relied on turnovers to create offense...which is why I said before the game started that if Lincoln had at least decent guard play they could very well beat Silsbee....Silsbee plays very wild especially on defense a lot of gambling on the press leaving people wide-open for easy buckets Lincoln simply took advantage of that. Silsbee got back in the game off Lincoln turning the ball over if Silsbee wants to beat good teams next year they'd better understand that you can't press everybody especially not a team with elite guard play you'd get killed. Same problem Yates have...one reason Ozen was so good the past two years is because they can play a slow half court game or up and down fast paced one.

+1

Been preaching this to my SE Texas peeps for a long time. I'm not a fan of the up-tempo "living off turnovers" philosophy.

D Lincoln was long.  They had good guard play.  They understood how to play defense at state, with the setting up for the charges.  They had good defensive rotation.  They stepped out and defensed the 3.  Still, Silsbee is not far behind them.  DISD teams are used to being in state.  Silsbee got hyped by the moment.

20 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:
3 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Do you have anything positive to say about the Tigers !! You and MOSSHILL wouldn't have been saying none of this if we would have won. You claim you a fan of Mike J but deep down inside I really think you wanted the Tigers to lose. Majority of your observations been how to beat the Tigers and how eventually they would lose. We lost by 3 points in the State championship game and been pressing the whole year but get bash by so call wanna be coaches. Did you even mention, pray for Devin or get well soon, if you did,  I didn't see it. What's your positive observation on silsbee, I wanna hear it.