Settling the "greatest SE Texas coach" debate

2 hours ago, About a week ago said:

Clay Davis over Kevin Foster at Big Sandy? I just don't know if Davis can be put into this category yet. He has only had a program for one year, and it was a top notch program when given to him.

Everyone knows I'm a huge Foster fan but you can't just label Clay as someone who took over a great program.  First, he was a part of that program for several years and was widely considered one of the best assistants in this area.  Second, the only reason he was an assistant those years was because he wanted to be home.  He did a very good job at Jasper and Tatum as a head coach, and those are part of his resume'.  He's definitely one of the top coaches in this area IMO.  

That's why I didn't make a list.  No way I could limit it to 5.  

2 hours ago, About a week ago said:

Clay Davis over Kevin Foster at Big Sandy? I just don't know if Davis can be put into this category yet. He has only had a program for one year, and it was a top notch program when given to him.

Lets see what Foster does after this season. Clay Davis was an excellent head coach before taking the assistant coach job at HJ. Many don't know that about him. So yes. I would take him over Foster. 

Foster does it year in and year out he has been at Big Sandy for years and people don't realize what he does not just for basketball but what he does for Big Sandy the athletic program and the school.  Not many people know he also is a principal and takes care of all the school house stuff and is the AD.  He cares about all the kids not just basketball that is why I would put him up in the top 5.  

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Everyone knows I'm a huge Foster fan but you can't just label Clay as someone who took over a great program.  First, he was a part of that program for several years and was widely considered one of the best assistants in this area.  Second, the only reason he was an assistant those years was because he wanted to be home.  He did a very good job at Jasper and Tatum as a head coach, and those are part of his resume'.  He's definitely one of the top coaches in this area IMO.  

That's why I didn't make a list.  No way I could limit it to 5.  

3 hours ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

Lets see what Foster does after this season. Clay Davis was an excellent head coach before taking the assistant coach job at HJ. Many don't know that about him. So yes. I would take him over Foster. 

I agree with both points.

5 hours ago, About a week ago said:

I remember when Clay Davis took the Jasper job. He sent several "good athletes" packing. Took what was left and won a district championship. 

5 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I went over there and watched Jasper that year and they didn't even resemble the club they had been in the past. I think they surprised some folks in the playoffs that year if my memory serves me .

Those two years were some of my fondest memories during those two years. Between our four district games I believe there was eight or nine over times. Stevenash would have to verify. 

11 hours ago, no-look said:

I remember when Clay Davis took the Jasper job. He sent several "good athletes" packing. Took what was left and won a district championship. 

Fair enough, I just feel what Foster has done at Big Sandy is more impressive. Nothing against Davis he is a good coach, and will have a very successful career at Hj, no doubt!!

29 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

Fair enough, I just feel what Foster has done at Big Sandy is not impressive. Nothing against Davis he is a good coach, and will have a very successful career at Hj, no doubt!!

not impressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! multiple regional tournament appearances, coached in two state championship games and has a chance this year  

Sutherland is a Hall of Fame coach no doubt.  His record speaks for itself as does his impact on kids.  However, to say that there has been a drop off after he leaves is just incorrect.  At Kountze they won 2 state titles in 3 years after he left and have been a fixture deep in the playoffs.  His last year two years at H-J they lost in the 2nd and 1st rounds of the playoffs and last year H-J was in the third round of the playoffs. When he left EC the first time I’m fairly certain they were in the hunt in the 2nd/3d round of the playoffs. Furthermore, at Kountze, EC and H-J you have 3 coaches who played for Sutherland at H-J (when he was an asst.)and one who played for him at EC  and I believe Sutherland would be the first to tell you those guys all uphold the same standards that he does.  

1 hour ago, Drango1 said:

Sutherland is a Hall of Fame coach no doubt.  His record speaks for itself as does his impact on kids.  However, to say that there has been a drop off after he leaves is just incorrect.  At Kountze they won 2 state titles in 3 years after he left and have been a fixture deep in the playoffs.  His last year two years at H-J they lost in the 2nd and 1st rounds of the playoffs and last year H-J was in the third round of the playoffs. When he left EC the first time I’m fairly certain they were in the hunt in the 2nd/3d round of the playoffs. Furthermore, at Kountze, EC and H-J you have 3 coaches who played for Sutherland at H-J (when he was an asst.)and one who played for him at EC  and I believe Sutherland would be the first to tell you those guys all uphold the same standards that he does.  

Kountze hasn't won a state championship with players who weren't coached by Southerland first...

Not taking anything away from that program just stating the facts.

9 minutes ago, stevenash said:

And do you believe that Sutherland "knows" something that his successor doesn't?

I do. I've never seen someone who could motivate a team to win a game more than Sutherland. He always seems to have his team believing that they could beat anyone. And I've seen them win a few games they would've lost had Sutherland not been coaching. And more importantly he was always firm with his star players but never harsh. He knew when to apply pressure and never took his foot too far off the gas. You know exactly what you're getting when you play a Sutherland coached team. 

Brian English is a great coach but he benches his starters for 2 quarters of almost every game (ozen and central excluded) which leads to losing games they shouldn't (their loss to the team for LA in the ned tourney this year which they were up big in) as well as silly turnovers that would probably be eliminated with more playing time. 

4 hours ago, HSbballFan said:

I do. I've never seen someone who could motivate a team to win a game more than Sutherland. He always seems to have his team believing that they could beat anyone. And I've seen them win a few games they would've lost had Sutherland not been coaching. And more importantly he was always firm with his star players but never harsh. He knew when to apply pressure and never took his foot too far off the gas. You know exactly what you're getting when you play a Sutherland coached team. 

Brian English is a great coach but he benches his starters for 2 quarters of almost every game (ozen and central excluded) which leads to losing games they shouldn't (their loss to the team for LA in the ned tourney this year which they were up big in) as well as silly turnovers that would probably be eliminated with more playing time. 

Great coaches duplicate themselves through their assistant coaches, and in this case, Clay Davis is a near carbon copy of Coach Sutherland.  He is going to and has done a great job there at HJ thus far.  It is really hard succeeding a guy like that, who has the resume that he has, but Coach Davis will fill those shoes quite well. Just wait...The guy can coach.

Just now, Dick Vitale said:

Great coaches duplicate themselves through their assistant coaches, and in this case, Clay Davis is a near carbon copy of Coach Sutherland.  He is going to and has done a great job there at HJ thus far.  It is really hard succeeding a guy like that, who has the resume that he has, but Coach Davis will fill those shoes quite well. Just wait...The guy can coach.

I sadly am not a fan the madness that was the HJ tournament this year was a huge disappointment and tainted only my second impression of him as a coach. 

Just now, HSbballFan said:

I sadly am not a fan the madness that was the HJ tournament this year was a huge disappointment and tainted only my second impression of him as a coach. 

As I have said many times, MOST people on this board are not qualified to critique the area coaches, but you are entitled to your opinion.  However, coming from a guy that is from a great coaching tree, myself, I can say that he knows what he is doing. He may not do things exactly like Todd at times, but he is his own man, so that should be expected. Dare I ask, but, what are your expectations of him? He is doing a great job in succeeding Sutherland over there...I don't know what else you can possibly expect from the guy, but hey, it is your opinion.