Hardin-Jefferson vs. Silsbee, by the numbers

Here is a look at this rivalry by the numbers:

This season points

HJ                                     Silsbee

Season                          (20-6)                                     (17-5)

Points scored                  69.5                                         83

Points allowed                50.5                                         63.6

Point margin                   +19                                          +19.4

District                            (5-0)                                        (4-0)

Points scored                  84.4                                         92

Points allowed                 42.6                                        34.5

Point margin                    +41.8                                      +57.5

Common opponents

Beaumont Central           51-72 Loss                              73-70 Win

Orangefield                     98-45 Win                                96-36 Win

Hamshire-Fannett           92-37 Win                               111-29 Win

Bridge City                      76-37 Win                                 85-42 Win

LC-M                               53-35 Win                                 76-31 Win

# of ranked opponents           4                                           10

Head to Head since 2006-07 season (season these two were put in same district)

2007                                         2                                           1                   HJ outright district champion, Silsbee #2

2008                                         2                                           2                   Co championship, HJ #1 seed

2009                                         1                                           2                    Co Championship, Silsbee #1 seed

2010                                         1                                           2                    Silsbee outright district champion, HJ #2

2011                                         0                                           2                    Silsbee outright district champion, HJ #2

2012                                         1                                           1                    Co Championship, HJ #1 seed

2013                                         0                                           2                     Silsbee outright district champion, HJ #2

2014                                         0                                           2                     Silsbee outright district champion, HJ #3

2015                                         1                                           1                     Co Championship, Silsbee #1 seed

total                                      8 wins                                     15 wins            HJ: 1 outright, 4 Co, 2 #1 seed, Silsbee: 4 OR, 4 Co, 2 #1

Silsbee has won 13 of last 17 meetings (76%) and has won or shared district title for 8 consecutive seasons, never finishing lower than #2 in district for all 9 seasons.

13 or 17 is a bit one sided. The best 2 games I remember watching was in 2007 HJ beating Silsbee in OT to go to state and 2010 Silsbee beating HJ by 3 to go to state. The crowd for both was electric. Also, in 2012 Silsbee beat HJ at home by like 8 but Shawn Prudomme had two of the nastiest dunks I have seen in a long time. 

32 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

13 or 17 is a bit one sided. The best 2 games I remember watching was in 2007 HJ beating Silsbee in OT to go to state and 2010 Silsbee beating HJ by 3 to go to state. The crowd for both was electric. Also, in 2012 Silsbee beat HJ at home by like 8 but Shawn Prudomme had two of the nastiest dunks I have seen in a long time. 

In 2012, Silsbee did beat HJ in Silsbee but it wasn't by 8. Zayon Jackson hit half court shot at buzzer to beat HJ by 3.

43 minutes ago, MossHill2 said:

Does Silsbee have any basketball "boys" state championships?

HJ has 3, is that correct?

Zero.

HJ has 3.

btw, I was waiting on someone to bring that up. Was expecting an HJ peep.

Point of this thread was comparing head to head and numbers for this season. Not history of programs. But, so be it.

Two very consistent programs and the games have been a joy to watch over the years.  The overall records might not match up quite the same but from a rivalry and fan's standpoint I believe it's certainly comparable to Silsbee vs Lincoln.

We tend to eat our own in this area, particularly on this message board, but there is really entertaining basketball in and around the Golden Triangle.

49 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Zero.

HJ has 3.

btw, I was waiting on someone to bring that up. Was expecting an HJ peep.

Point of this thread was comparing head to head and numbers for this season. Not history of programs. But, so be it.

Leave it to somebody with an unbiased opinion of the two programs. With the analytics you've provided at the top of the thread, I am left no choice but to predict Silsbee by 18 at Home. I will by listening in a bit when I can to the broadcast.

Silsbee has won 13 of 17, and I'd argue they were favored in at least 13 of those 17 (probably 15 of 17).  To me the impressive part of it all is that even though Silsbee has consistently had the better program for the last 7-8 years, pretty much every game has been close.   on paper Silsbee should've probably won 13 of 17, with several blowouts.  That hasn't been the case 

6 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Silsbee has won 13 of 17, and I'd argue they were favored in at least 13 of those 17 (probably 15 of 17).  To me the impressive part of it all is that even though Silsbee has consistently had the better program for the last 7-8 years, pretty much every game has been close.   on paper Silsbee should've probably won 13 of 17, with several blowouts.  That hasn't been the case 

What's the reasoning or logic behind why Silsbee seems to dominate this matchup?

It's HJ Hawk basketball that's known statewide and viewed at minimum as a basketball powerhouse in the state at the 4a level.

Besides, HJ that has 3 rings. Silsbee has none. I've seen HJ play hundreds of times. Never seen Silsbee, so I can't measure the two comparatively.

7 minutes ago, MossHill2 said:

What's the reasoning or logic behind why Silsbee seems to dominate this matchup?

It's HJ Hawk basketball that's known statewide and viewed at minimum as a basketball powerhouse in the state at the 4a level.

Besides, HJ that has 3 rings. Silsbee has none. I've seen HJ play hundreds of times. Never seen Silsbee, so I can't measure the two comparatively.

If there is a 4A program in Texas with more talent than Silsbee (and by more, I am talking numbers), I would have to see it.  I don't think such a school exists.  Mainly because I'm not sure I have EVER seen one with more quality talent on campus than Silsbee has right now. 

Add to that the fact that the kids stay in the gym year round, and are well coached, and you have a recipe for success. 

HJ, on the other hand (or same hand), also is plenty talented and well coached.  Which is why this continues to be a competitive rivalry.  

1 hour ago, MossHill2 said:

Silsbee has more talent on a yearly basis. HJ has had better coaching IMO, which has made a difference, and has AT LEAST one stud every year capable of keeping a game close.