WOS vs Cuero

tennisbc

Look back at WO-S semi-final round history.  None of these games really were for the weak of heart.  1986 New Braunfels, down 12-0 at the half with their running back Brad Grant, WO-S pulled it out in the 2nd half 28-12.  Then '87 & '88 with Tivy, WO-S wins 21-7 and 28-14 I think. 2000 was Calallen, only last minute defensive stand and unbelievable go ahead TD. Forget that final score.  Wimberly in '05 got out of hand in the 2nd half.  Sinton hung tough last year till late. If you got some meds in the cabinet, line em up.

Final score of WO-S vs Calallen was 27-21.

Also, in the first half of that game, WO-S had a fumble recovery for a TD wiped out because of an inadvertent whistle. WO-S was given possession but missed a FG on the ensuing drive.

I don't know what would have happened if the 'Stangs had lost the game like that lol

There have been teams this size with several losses win State before.  Tatum and Atlanta come to my mind.   A lot of teams just get better and  better as the season progresses, especially if a big Senior class left  holes the previous year.  Jasper finally made it to the finals during a year I thought would be a rebuilding year.  They didn't even win district that year from what I remember.

I see a lot of blowout predictions on this one.   I too have been predicting that the last few weeks for WO-S.  This is the week where it gets real.  This is a true football program that will play with a ton of pride and huge momentum after shutting out their bitter rival last week to advance to the semi-finals.  They will be hungry.  They like the Mustangs have had a longer time between State titles than one would expect.  Their last title was 1987.

I would not be surprised if WO-S just tore them up because I think they are just that good, but teams like Cuero are the ones that will beat you if you come in expecting to truck them.

I know WO-S fans are way more exuberant about their prospect than the coaches and players will be.  They will stay focuses and take care of a very talented opponent tomorrow.

Best of luck Mustangs.  SE Texas needs a trophy.

There have been teams this size with several losses win State before.  Tatum and Atlanta come to my mind.   A lot of teams just get better and  better as the season progresses, especially if a big Senior class left  holes the previous year.  Jasper finally made it to the finals during a year I thought would be a rebuilding year.  They didn't even win district that year from what I remember.

I see a lot of blowout predictions on this one.   I too have been predicting that the last few weeks for WO-S.  This is the week where it gets real.  This is a true football program that will play with a ton of pride and huge momentum after shutting out their bitter rival last week to advance to the semi-finals.  They will be hungry.  They like the Mustangs have had a longer time between State titles than one would expect.  Their last title was 1987.

I would not be surprised if WO-S just tore them up because I think they are just that good, but teams like Cuero are the ones that will beat you if you come in expecting to truck them.

I know WO-S fans are way more exuberant about their prospect than the coaches and players will be.  They will stay focuses and take care of a very talented opponent tomorrow.

Best of luck Mustangs.  SE Texas needs a trophy.

Well put. I agree totally. On paper we should win, but they aren't won on paper. Like you, I've seen teams with several losses win it all. The Paris team that beat us in 88 started out 0-3. Maybe that's why this game worries me so much. Another thing that worries me is the fact that, many Mustangs fans are predicting a blow out. Some are friends of mine, they wont listen when I tell them this team has that "mojo" thing going and we need to be careful. They want to look at it logically and break it down. Again, if it were played on paper then we'd win handily. Sometimes teams do things that is beyond what they should be able to do. I hope they are right, and we roll, but I'm nervous.

We have the components to get the VICTORY, a stellar seasoned coaching team, a team who believes in themselves, and a community with a brassy attitude.  “We are collectively and individually creating our destiny each moment of each day”.

This is the hidden content, please

Destiny belongs to us all not just one particular team or individual. Turn around is fair play. Mustangs create your own destiny you know what it is.

I believe the Mustangs will win again.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is a better game than what they have been in lately, though.  Still a comfortable win, and another trip to the SC game.

Don't take this team lightly, and go in with the big head. I have seen that happen too many times, and once the other teams makes a couple good plays, it lights a fire under their rear end, and away they go.

Don't take Cuero lightly AT ALL!  They've been to the Semifinals 12 times since 1985...  nearly twice as many times as WOS with 5 State Final appearances and yes only 1 Championship back in 1987 (not counting their 44 game winning streak and 2 titles back in the early 70's).  A lot of people write off Region IV but Cuero is one of the exceptions where you can't just do that.  They have a pedigree.  Expect a huge crowd tomorrow on their side.

This is the hidden content, please

Edited by Goblin

Letter from David Cusack, the quarterback of the 1970 Cuero football team that advanced to the school's first state final, to this year's Gobblers

Dear Coach Reeve's, Coaching staff and Gobbler team members,

My name is David Cusack, I was the quarterback and co-captain of the 1970 gobbler football team. That was the first Cuero high school football team to ever reach the state final playoffs against astronomical odds in most everyones eyes!. Before the season began most people felt if we won one and two games we would be lucky. I on the other hand was determined to lead my team to the state championship. We as a team realized that if you line up against guys that are bigger, faster, tougher, and stronger than we were, we would have to go out on that field and get in there and play our hearts out as a united team or we were gonna wimp out and shrink to the challenge in front of us. How many of you all realize that team morale is to these physical attibutes what I call 4 to 1. You see your attitude is 4 times more important then these physical attributes, if you are all united in one heart, one mind!

Stay the course fellow gobblers, finish what you have started. Know deep in your hearts you can accomplish a state championship. We the former Gobblers want to inspire you all to show up and exemplify once again why the Cuero Gobblers are true legends of Texas high school football!

I can promise you this, what you will cherish the most as you get older is the profound bonding and collective friendship you have developed with your coaches and teammates, when most people had written you off as losers early on in the season. That is something so so special that no one will ever be able to take away from you. For you will carry it with you for the rest of your lives.

Even to this day at 62 years of age, I still celebrate, honor and appreciate my teammates and coaches, that inspired me to not only believe in miracles, but to expect them! We as a team had that attitude united in one heart one mind, with one goal in our focus to go to the state championship. We won a 3 way coin flip to even get to play for the district championship as we were tied with 2 other teams. We were the laughing stock of most everybody who wrote us off as flukes as we were 30 to 40 point underdogs in all of our post district games. We were playing undefeated teams who had won most of their games by 40 points!! We all realized under the guidance of Coach Gilbreth and his staff that a real man gets over his self centered ego and serves the higher good for the team. United in this understanding you will be invincible, yet divided you will surely fail! A man of real integrity keeps his promises to himself, his coaches, his family and most importantly to his teammates. So I encourage you all to go out there and prove to yourselves and all the naysayers, who wrote you off, that you are here to carry on the legend of the fighting green machine. So I hope and pray that you all become examples for the future teams as the "promise keepers" of the fighting Gobbler spirit. My prayers be with you.

Sincerely

D