Which one is better a good coach or a talented team? You have to pick one.

I posted this on Huffman and LCM predictions the other day and only two commented so it might have been missed. I was wondering which do y'all think is better a good head coach or a talented team. Me personally I would take a good head coach that could lead the team. This topic here is not to bash any coach that coached at LCM or anywhere else. Just  a question to see how everyone felt about it. LCM has had a couple good coaches with good records and some with poor records. I think some of those records those coaches got the best effort for the talent LCM had.

Ted Miller 1956-1966 (60-45-2) Jim Crossland 1967-1973 (43-28) Randall Dorsett 1974-1975 (8-12) Lindey Thompson 1976-1980 (20-26-3) Ron Dupree 1981-1984 (20-20) Pat Wozniak 1985-1989(11-28) Lucky Gamble 1989-1990 (9-10-1) Rhodney Russell 1991-1993 (17-13-1) David Williams 1994-2004 (58-58) Todd Moody2005-2008 (8-28) Crouch 2009 to present (32-39) 

Good coach will not win without talent.  Good team will be competitive with a good coach or not.  But a good team needs a good coach to win it all.

I can name several schools that Bill Belichick could not win at.

Great point. Mike Sherman former NFL and College football coach is 0-8 this year coaching a high school team. Give me WO-S with A horrible coach over Liberty with Coach Hooks. 

Great point. Mike Sherman former NFL and College football coach is 0-8 this year coaching a high school team. Give me WO-S with A horrible coach over Liberty with Coach Hooks. 

EXACTLY

people that say "good coach" have no perception of talent.

Edited by MossHill2

EXACTLY

people that say "good coach" have no perception of talent.

How many D1 players has Neumann had at Nederland in his 20+ years?

You can win a lot of district games and some early round playoff games with great coaching.  Once you get into the 3rd round plus you need great players.  

Long time ago, someone asked what a great coach was? Someone replied ,Bear Bryant because he can take his team and beat yours and the next week take your team and beat his team. Good coaches seem to make fair athletes become good athletes ,good athletes become college material. good coaches seem to get the most out of what they have and know how to use them.JMO 

So your saying after this year and maybe next graduation BC will go back to having down years? I think Dubose will keep BC competitive. I believe a good coach can have success  without loads of  talent just takes hard work and self discipline. I know deep in the playoffs that's when talent  starts to show. But Old school you are right about HS they have problems. 

A good Coach will take average players and put a team together that has chance to be winners, A good Coach will take a talented team to maybe a state championship.  Some of you may remember the talented team Bridge City had back in the late 1980's or maybe it was the 1990's, they had over 15 players receive football scholarships, more than any school in the entire area, and they did not make the playoffs, with a good coach they would have went a long ways.  

A good Coach will take average players and put a team together that has chance to be winners, A good Coach will take a talented team to maybe a state championship.  Some of you may remember the talented team Bridge City had back in the late 1980's or maybe it was the 1990's, they had over 15 players receive football scholarships, more than any school in the entire area, and they did not make the playoffs, with a good coach they would have went a long ways.  

BC had a team in the 90s that should have made some noise with Bock at RB, coach was from Bastrop if I remember correctly. 

So your saying after this year and maybe next graduation BC will go back to having down years? I think Dubose will keep BC competitive. I believe a good coach can have success  without loads of  talent just takes hard work and self discipline. I know deep in the playoffs that's when talent  starts to show. But Old school you are right about HS they have problems. 

Don't think I said that. They will not be as good next year as this year personally, but they won't be terrible. The 8th-11th grade class at BC is still really good. But I do see LC-M beating them next year because they will be more talented no matter who the coach is for LC-M. So give me a talented team over a great coach. A lot of people say Matthews is a good coach but Vidor didn't play so swell this year. A lot of people also say Matthews doesn't know what he's doing. But his super talented team of 2011? Went three or four rounds deep. 

he