Repub Debates

Mr. Buddy Garrity

Alot of people see the difference in parties. Is it not possible for one to be pro life agree with Republicans on national security and military but also agree on alot things dem's have to say. I get told by dems your not one of us and same from Republicans. Only they  don't understand the compliment they just gave me. I refuse to group think. 

There are hot button issues that people have to settle on or at least that people that pay semi-attention to what is going on. 

It is like the 2nd Amendment. Many Republicans believe (correctly in my and the SCOTUS opinion) that it is for individual gun rights. It would be hard in my opinion for anyone that has that as a major issue to vote for anyone in the Democratic Party. While there are plenty of gun rights Democrats, as a whole in the US and state congresses, they routinely vote en bloc to take away many gun ownership issues. 

On the abortion debate, I personally feel that it is wrong but I don't really care. The SCOTUS has already said that it was legal with some state limitations. If for example it came down to a candidate that was pro life but anti-gun, I would have no problem voting against the pro life issue. The 2nd Amendment issue far overcomes in issue I have with abortions. 

My hot button issues are guns, taxes, foreign relations/military, immigration, balanced budget and wasted money/pandering. The rest is just fluff. I have opinions on each one but I won't cast my vote based on it. 

If a Democrat ran on open gun rights, lowering taxes while cutting the budget to match, a strong military and closing the border, he/she has my vote. The problem is that in almost all cases, it is a person with an R in front of the name and not a D. Locally or even in state elections that is not always true but by the time you get to the national level, the big parties take over. As far as that goes, I think many local Democrats that hold office could care less about the national party and likely vote Republican in this area when they go privately into the booth. You will never hear them say that but I know a few that are currently sitting in office from the Democratic ticket and I know how they thought before they ran for office. They can't cut their own political throat but they can never convince me that they support the national Democrats. 

Alot of people see the difference in parties. Is it not possible for one to be pro life agree with Republicans on national security and military but also agree on alot things dem's have to say. I get told by dems your not one of us and same from Republicans. Only they  don't understand the compliment they just gave me. I refuse to group think. 

Since talking politics at work is frown upon to some extent, I only know one coworker who is an independent, as you seem to be by the above post.  I envy both of you.  When I told that to my coworker he ask why.  I said, most R & D vote canceling out each other, while you Independents decide who'll be President.  

Much like on the SCOTUS.  Justice Kennedy has enormous power/responsibility with 4 Libs and 4 Cons, and him.  I would only hope that Independents vote for what they sincerely believe is best for our country, within the limits of their own religious/moral beliefs.  That's  what all of us should do.  

Do you think that Hillary lying will not impact her run for the Presidency?

just a little not enough to make a difference she'll be the nominee and dems will vote for there candidate regardless...

If a moderate was to win the GOP many will not be happy but will still vote him in rather than a democrate. 

Many was prepared to vote for trump to win the whitehouse. (He's not even a republican).

Still very early.  I'd predict a lot of changes between now and crunch time, at least on the Repub side. 

Many critical things happening all over the Globe that could affect the election also.  

I will use this analogy.  It'd be like trying to pick the winner of next years MCM today.  Add to that the possibility that all adamant Global Warming scientist could freeze to death at anytime, and you get an idea of how difficult predicting who the candidates will be.  

(All in fun Hoops. I still respect ya lol)

I think most independents lean republican except on social issues If a republican focused on economy and national security they'll win whitehouse.... 

I think rubio is the only one who can challenge Hillary because he can take Florida and a lot of Hispanics which is a big plus. 

I think that you are 100% correct. I will go as far as saying that even many people that routinely vote Democratic are somewhat conservative on national security/military and economy. That is how Reagan won his landslides and the term came about, Reagan Democrats. That was where the generally Democratic white blue collar worker that voted with his union broke ranks and sided with Reagan and in the 1984 election he won by a stunning 17 million popular votes. 

• 1 month later...

Good grief smh

Do these idiots know fighting amongst each other doesn't solve anything? Prime example of part of wth is wrong with this country. 

You do realize that all debates from any party are exactly the same. No matter who gets the nomination, it will be exactly the same on the stage with Hillary and it will be slinging both way.

When people are in a system to pick a person that the voter thinks is "better", the only way to get the vote/win is to go after the other person. It is not a talent contest where you play a piano and I play a trumpet and someone votes on who is the best. You win by saying, "The other guy can't get it done because..............". 

The only way you can solve anything is to win and the only way to win is to go after the other guy(s). 

I missed but dvr it. is it worth watching? who won?  

It is according to who a person supported going in. I have seen articles and news talking heads that have said that the winners was Cruz/Trump/Christie/Paul/Rubio. 

The others were relegated to the losers bracket. 

Cruz did okay but could have done better. I think his "win" might have been simply holding his own. 

Christie actually made some great points without being abusive. I think he said that he was "a federal prosecutor" too many times. Yep, we know that now Chris. Try answering without saying, ".... and I know that because I was a federal....". Christie "might" pick up a couple of percentage points out of this performance but he is so low that it won't likely matter but time will tell. I think of the second tier candidates on the big state last night (Christie, Fiorina, Kasich, Bush and Carson), Christie likely came out on top enough to stay in for a little longer. 

Rubio was hot and cold and may pick up a couple of points from the lower tier. 

Trump was just Trump. The carnival act was in full swing and I don't see his support dropping from last night's performance. The guy makes almost no sense at all and never has a plan other than "trust me" but he is such an entertainment that he still have some (I have no idea why) support. 

Paul was on point on his Constitutional defense but he also always appears angry and he (like his father) is still seen by many as a kook. He carries his libertarian views a bit too far to be mainstream. 

All in all, I am not sure that anyone really moves up or down although I can see either Cruz or Rubio or both picking up some steam. 

How many of the Republican candidates lied to the parents of those who died at Benghazi and did so willfully and intentionally?

Or lied about classified emails, or intentionally and unlawfully deleted government documents, or was fired from legal counsel because of unethical behavior, and...oh nevermind. This list would get too long too fast.