Race Relations

I'm 41 so I wasn't around for the same timeframe.  I'm referencing my life experiences, high school and Navy, etc.  you go on the mess decks on a ship, you'll have groups of Sailors eating together.  Phillipinos eating with Phillipinos, Hispanics with Hispanics, Whites with Whites, Blacks with Blacks.  There's absolutely no segregation there, but that's the way at is.  The question is why?  I grew up in a small town in Virginia.  South Hill where there isn't much, we were a 2A high school.  There is a movie theatre there that had to shut their doors because the owner refused to let 4 kids in who were flying the rebel flag on their truck.  So there was going to be a rebel flag rally there this weekend.  So in my town where I grew up, no race relations aren't any better.  It goes back to the people who wouldn't make the cake for the gay couple.  The right to refuse service to anyone.  Discrimination is discrimination any way you cut it, people hide behind the "it's my religious beliefs".  I can't speak for the PAISD statistics, I don't know them.  I would be willing to bet though that there are the same numbers in other school districts that are reversed.  How do we as communities fix that?​

Because people are more comfortable with people that look like them and have the same or similar life experiences. I could make this next example black or white, but i'll make it about social class. I'm a middle aged white dude living a middle class life, and according to my girlfriend, going through a mid life crisis....If I walked into a room of white people I did not know, some in nice expensive suits drinking wine, others in jeans drinking beer, and some with long haired and  young doing shots......I'm going straight to the guys that look most like me. 

My brother lived the segregation black/white at TJ.  I lived it when the Asians came to TJ. With my brothers era, whites and blacks did not get along. In my era, Blacks and whites got along pretty good, so good we would team up against the Asians.

You can't force people to like each other. We have to understand we are all more comfortable with our own. That does not make one a racist. I find different cultures and races interesting. I probably ask too may questions......

When the world makes it OK to be "you", that is when racism will go away.......

My two cents.....i hope that was on topic Buddy:) 

I used to take my food out and sit at a different table and talk to everyone to let all the kids know it was ok to sit at a table with different people.  Most of the time we talked about sports.  To me, Sports is one of the things that brings us together.  I actually dislike posting on the politics part of the website, but I have started to more recently.  You are correct with saying they do that because that's a comfort zone for them.  It was always interesting when we did command climate surveys with some of the data we collected.  

I used to take my food out and sit at a different table and talk to everyone to let all the kids know it was ok to sit at a table with different people.  Most of the time we talked about sports.  To me, Sports is one of the things that brings us together.  I actually dislike posting on the politics part of the website, but I have started to more recently.  You are correct with saying they do that because that's a comfort zone for them.  It was always interesting when we did command climate surveys with some of the data we collected.  

​We need to go have that beer!

I also think Thug is the new "N" word.....Heck, Richard Sherman graduated from Stanford and he was a Thug after an interview? All these facebook posts from weird sites "Thug gets embarrsed by old man"...."Thug gets this...that" all reference blacks. As far as race relations...describe "Better".....I think a lot of postering went on for years.  For instance...Sandra Bland. Many(non blacks) say..well she should've just did what the officer told her....but I'm pretty sure the conversations and apporach to whites and blacks are different....I got pulled over on the way to Austin.......sat in the car a good 10 mins, looked out the window and asked what was going on....found out later he was waiting for another squad car(Me and my 15 year old son in the car)....before I even knew what I was being pulled over for I was handcuffed and sat on the side of the road like a spectacle as people drove by...Again, I asked "Sir, what is going on?"....he told me to chill out....and I just asked him could he move me to the back and not talk down on me in front of my son. He told me if I be quiet he'd let my son sit in the front seat instead of the backs seat with me....finally the K9's came...searched my car.....when it was all said and done...I was doing 55 in a 45 and got off with a warning. That's the type of harrasment I"M used to, and it gets old.......

What are your thoughts on this?

This is the hidden content, please

Because people are more comfortable with people that look like them and have the same or similar life experiences. I could make this next example black or white, but i'll make it about social class. I'm a middle aged white dude living a middle class life, and according to my girlfriend, going through a mid life crisis....If I walked into a room of white people I did not know, some in nice expensive suits drinking wine, others in jeans drinking beer, and some with long haired and  young doing shots......I'm going straight to the guys that look most like me. 

My brother lived the segregation black/white at TJ.  I lived it when the Asians came to TJ. With my brothers era, whites and blacks did not get along. In my era, Blacks and whites got along pretty good, so good we would team up against the Asians.

You can't force people to like each other. We have to understand we are all more comfortable with our own. That does not make one a racist. I find different cultures and races interesting. I probably ask too may questions......

When the world makes it OK to be "you", that is when racism will go away.......

My two cents.....i hope that was on topic Buddy:) 

​Good points, but it also has to do with Class......I grew up with with Whites, Hispanics, Vietnamese, etc...and the thing we had in common...we were poor. So I can't say I flocked to the people that looked like me, I flocked to the people I could relate too.

Cougar, I read above you dislike posting on politics.  I can understand some of that.  Oh, I don't mind smacking down on something like global warming, cause I try to add a little humor.  That's what I enjoy, but I definitely don't want to offend anyone, so some subjects, like race relations, makes choosing your words very carefully.  So many variables.  One is perspective.   For example, when I posted earlier, being older than water, it was based on @ 60 yrs, and BG answer with his view, based on 15 years or so because he's just a young whipper snapper (joke BG).  

Anyway, you're post are very good and thoughtful.  Stay at it.  I think you can teach some of us, and maybe learn from us also.  Things like Vidor will beat Crosby. (nuther joke).  

​Good points, but it also has to do with Class......I grew up with with Whites, Hispanics, Vietnamese, etc...and the thing we had in common...we were poor. So I can't say I flocked to the people that looked like me, I flocked to the people I could relate too.

Very good point.....and in my example, I would have went with the jeans and beer drinkers......my parents were middle middle class.....my Dad taught me the value of a dollar.....He was raised poor on a houseboat....everything I got he made me earn.....and I love him for that

Edited by thetragichippy

I don't see why. It's not offensive. It's the truth and most people don't want to hear it.  Truth...you see more black players with entourages, in strip clubs throwing money, blowing money on fancy cars, etc.....They make it to the league and it's "I made it, I'm partying and buying everyone a house and a car".......ignoring the fact that your average career is about 4 years and you dont have anything to fall back on......While most of the white guys make it, get married, settle down.......what's wrong with what he said? If Young or Aikaman said it...it really wouldn't make sense if you thought about it. Why would he tell them to "Act like the black guys"?

I don't see why. It's not offensive. It's the truth and most people don't want to hear it.  Truth...you see more black players with entourages, in strip clubs throwing money, blowing money on fancy cars, etc.....They make it to the league and it's "I made it, I'm partying and buying everyone a house and a car".......ignoring the fact that your average career is about 4 years and you dont have anything to fall back on......While most of the white guys make it, get married, settle down.......what's wrong with what he said? If Young or Aikaman said it...it really wouldn't make sense if you thought about it. Why would he tell them to "Act like the black guys"?

I'm saying if Young or Aikman said act like white guys.  There would be a backlash in my opinion.

I'm saying if Young or Aikman said act like white guys.  There would be a backlash in my opinion.

​In that situation then, you're probably right because white guy saying "act like us" is "offending" someone. I have no issue with what Haley said. The best way to offend someone is to try not to offend them IMO...be you, get to the point. I'd rather someone tell me "Hey, I don't like blacks" opposed to someone who's  pretending. You can't say, or do anything without offending SOMEONE these days.

I agree cougar, but they would've been totally out of line.  IMO Haley was pushing the limits himself, but he wanted their attention and I bet he got it.  I'm not excusing the actions of many young black athletes, but most have been "spoiled" by coaches, fans, and many teachers, probably since early youth.  It's just another sad aspect of our society now.  How many young people say yessir and yes mam?   Thank you?  I doubt most know what it means.  Having manners is cheap.  No cost, but it'll give you a step up.  And more importantly, it's how civilized people should interact with one another.  I'll get off my soapbox now. 

Have any of you guys read the book "White like me"?. It might give you some insight on the black experience. 

Another good read is Framework to Poverty by Ruby Payne gives insight to the how/why different races, typically act differently and why.

• 2 weeks later...

Sry that young lady died, but IN BOLD what were they each portrayed as Nash? Its only one word, this should be easy for you.  

They've been portrayed as heroes.  Which is a shame.   A robber and suspected murderer who tried to take a cop's gun gets a plaque in his honor, and a drug dealer becomes the rallying cry for a major city.  That's a big time problem to me.

Edited by bullets13