Gilmer 35 West Orange-Stark 25/Final

WOSgrad

KICK OFF RETURN CALLED BACK A BLOCK IN THE BACK REPLAY SHOWED IT DID NOT HAPPEN AND MISSED XPS AND THE FUMBLE IN THE END ZONE THANK YOUR LUCKY STAR

I was told by several WOS fans that a single play (like a free turnover deep in the redzone where a punt didn't touch anybody) should not be a reason to claim a momentum shift and that great teams should be able to overcome something like that. So according to pretty much every WOS fan, your argument about the return that got called back is bogus. I can't attest to the rest of your statements. I was hoping more than anything for WOS to win this one, but in the end gilmer was just the far better team from late second quarter on.

I would like to say a big hardy CONGRATS to the fans of WOS on an amazing season. I know it still stings but you will soon realize how special this team was and will always be in WOS lore. I got to see them beat my Indians and watch them play for state on TV. What a year.... Thanks for the memories they were awesome.  Thanks for extending the season along with Newton and keeping all of SETX into football for a awesome few more weeks. It makes me proud to be a SETX football fan!!!!!! Thanks for the ride!!!!!!!

Well I just got back to Orange Saturday night. (wife drug me off after the WOS game to finish up Christmas shopping up there), then we stopped at her sisters house outside Waxahatchie.  Tried to read all the comments on the game from my phone but held off commenting until I could get to a computer. First off I want to congratulate Gilmer.  Yall played like a true champion in the 2nd half to overcome the points you were down. You overall were the better team Friday and it showed. Enjoy the off season as state champions. I also want to congratulate the WOS Mustangs, What a great ride its been. many, many memories you have given to the community and we all are very proud of you.   Now to address some things, someone, don't remember who, stated in an earlier post, that WOS better be glad that Gilmer didn't play the 1st half the way they played the 2nd half, well that can be turned around also and one could say that Gilmer should be glad WOS didn't play the 2nd half like they played the 1st.  Those kind of statements are pointless. the fact remains neither team played their best for 4 full quarters.  I think WOS stunned Gilmer somewhat in the first half then Gilmer made some great adjustments in the second half that WOS couldn't counter.  WOS "controlled" the 1st half while Gilmer "dominated" the 2nd.   Bear Bryant always said that nearly every game no matter if it was a 1 point margin of victory or 50, the outcome could be traced back to 4 or 5 plays. This statement was never more true than this game.  I think 4 plays turned the tide in Gilmers favor.

Play #1;  DT's return for a TD called back at the end of the 1st half.  I'm not going to get into whether it was a valid call or not, but I will say I saw much worse by both side during the game that didn't get called. But if that score was allowed to stand then WOS goes into the half with a 32-7 lead and tons of momentum. 

Play #2:  The turnover that occurred on the opening drive of the 2nd half,  WOS was driving the ball and had moved into Gilmers side of the field.  If WOS could get a score on that drive then the tempo would have been set for a completely different 2nd half.  Especially if DT's TD had been allowed from earlier.  Would have been looking at a possible 39-7 WOS lead.

Play #3:  The fumble into our end zone that Gilmer recovered for a gimme TD. When you play teams like Gilmer you cannot allow that to happen.

Play #4:  The dropped pass on 4th and 9. This came on the same series after the long pass that got WOS out of their own end of the field.  Again, had that reception been made, maybe WOS could have scored and slowed down the momentum Gilmer had built up. 

I think had at least 2 of these 4 plays had gone in WOS favor the outcome may have been different, but not completly saying WOS would have won, just that things may have played out differently.  Now, I am not taking anything away from the Buckeyes, they made the plays when they had too and WOS didn't., WOS also looked very tired in the 4th quarter which is something that very rarely ever happens.   After reading talk on various forums all week and hearing how basically we shouldn't even be on the same field with Gilmer, how they would score 60-70 on WOS I think they showed that Gilmer was beatable,, but great teams overcome adversity and with some help from WOS thats exactly what they did.  Great season though WOS, you got farther than all but one team in your class! Hold your heads high, the area is proud of you all!!!

One last question...someone on an earlier post said something about the Gilmer coach. Something about his post game comments, I asked on that thread but didn't get a complete answer.  What did he say in those comments? I know someone on here has to know???

I saw this back in district when WOS beat HJ, but it was the HJ fans making the if statements and getting hammered by the WOS fans. Now they want to do the same thing. As far as the field goal return, to me the call was questionable, not necessarily bad. The announcers later said it was a good call. I thought it could go either way, to me it looked like the helmet hit the player right square I. The side of the shoulder. Yes it was a big blow, but like was said before good teams should overcome those things. The mistakes in the second half were huge and no you can't give a team like Gilmer any breaks. I have to agree with two things I have read in this thread: 1. WOS was tired in at least that last quarter and that was a big difference and 2. The statement Bullets made above that from the end of the second quarter on, Gilmer was far better than WOS, Just like WOS was far better than Gilmer in almost the entire first half.

In my opinion, the questionable call on the field goal return didn't change the game. That clearly would have helped WO-S's case and made Gilmer's comeback tougher, but it wasn't the be all end all. The plays that changed the game were Dallas' first interception, the kickoff the Wolfford had to field deep in WO-S territory and the fumble on the next play. That fumble recovery TD was pretty much free points, Gilmer had to do close to nothing to get them. If WO-S can sustain a drive, even if they have to punt, then maybe Gilmer takes a little more time to score, or they don't score at all.

But the ifs don't matter now. Gilmer made the adjustments they needed to and did what they had to do. WO-S left it all out on the field but it just wasn't enough.

Well I just got back to Orange Saturday night. (wife drug me off after the WOS game to finish up Christmas shopping up there), then we stopped at her sisters house outside Waxahatchie.  Tried to read all the comments on the game from my phone but held off commenting until I could get to a computer. First off I want to congratulate Gilmer.  Yall played like a true champion in the 2nd half to overcome the points you were down. You overall were the better team Friday and it showed. Enjoy the off season as state champions. I also want to congratulate the WOS Mustangs, What a great ride its been. many, many memories you have given to the community and we all are very proud of you.   Now to address some things, someone, don't remember who, stated in an earlier post, that WOS better be glad that Gilmer didn't play the 1st half the way they played the 2nd half, well that can be turned around also and one could say that Gilmer should be glad WOS didn't play the 2nd half like they played the 1st.  Those kind of statements are pointless. the fact remains neither team played their best for 4 full quarters.  I think WOS stunned Gilmer somewhat in the first half then Gilmer made some great adjustments in the second half that WOS couldn't counter.  WOS "controlled" the 1st half while Gilmer "dominated" the 2nd.   Bear Bryant always said that nearly every game no matter if it was a 1 point margin of victory or 50, the outcome could be traced back to 4 or 5 plays. This statement was never more true than this game.  I think 4 plays turned the tide in Gilmers favor.

Play #1;  DT's return for a TD called back at the end of the 1st half.  I'm not going to get into whether it was a valid call or not, but I will say I saw much worse by both side during the game that didn't get called. But if that score was allowed to stand then WOS goes into the half with a 32-7 lead and tons of momentum. 

Play #2:  The turnover that occurred on the opening drive of the 2nd half,  WOS was driving the ball and had moved into Gilmers side of the field.  If WOS could get a score on that drive then the tempo would have been set for a completely different 2nd half.  Especially if DT's TD had been allowed from earlier.  Would have been looking at a possible 39-7 WOS lead.

Play #3:  The fumble into our end zone that Gilmer recovered for a gimme TD. When you play teams like Gilmer you cannot allow that to happen.

Play #4:  The dropped pass on 4th and 9. This came on the same series after the long pass that got WOS out of their own end of the field.  Again, had that reception been made, maybe WOS could have scored and slowed down the momentum Gilmer had built up. 

I think had at least 2 of these 4 plays had gone in WOS favor the outcome may have been different, but not completly saying WOS would have won, just that things may have played out differently.  Now, I am not taking anything away from the Buckeyes, they made the plays when they had too and WOS didn't., WOS also looked very tired in the 4th quarter which is something that very rarely ever happens.   After reading talk on various forums all week and hearing how basically we shouldn't even be on the same field with Gilmer, how they would score 60-70 on WOS I think they showed that Gilmer was beatable,, but great teams overcome adversity and with some help from WOS thats exactly what they did.  Great season though WOS, you got farther than all but one team in your class! Hold your heads high, the area is proud of you all!!!

One last question...someone on an earlier post said something about the Gilmer coach. Something about his post game comments, I asked on that thread but didn't get a complete answer.  What did he say in those comments? I know someone on here has to know???

Marsh, you have read my mind. I had this exact detailed conversation with several fans. I would also add one more play. When we lined up to receive Gilmer's third kickoff in the second half, we sent everybody up close to the line. Gilmer had already tried an onside kick and followed that with a pooch kickoff, so we were expecting one of those to repeat. Instead they kick it over our head. We should've had one guy back deep to be on the safe side. We had to chase the kickoff back to the five yard line and got tackled near the 8. The next play we fumble into the end zone and give them a free TD. That kickoff return was a big mistake on our part.

Your assessment is dead on. We shot ourselves in the foot in the 2nd half. Congratulations to Gilmer for capitalizing and taking this game.  

I was "one of those WO-S fans" who hammered HJ fans for complaining after the WO-S/HJ game. Didn't determine the outcome, just like in this game.

The saddest part about this play is that the block wasn't necessary for DT to score. That would have been perfect going into halftime, getting the ball in the 2nd half.

Without even including that, I don't understand why WO-S went away from using all four downs on that first drive of the 2nd half. They ran a few times on 3rd downs in the 1st half. That may have given JD a more manageable 4th down play if they needed it, rather than a tough throw on 3rd.

Also, having no one deep on the kickoff after they scored is a mystery. They already failed on an onside kick earlier.

Ugh. Tough one to let get away.

See this is why WOS get so much flack cause some, not all, fans run their mouth too much and say the wrong thing. ;)

But I guess ALL ppl that pick against the "best hs football program in the country" is a hater. Seems legit. ☕

See this is why WOS get so much flack cause some, not all, fans run their mouth too much and say the wrong thing. ;)

But I guess ALL ppl that pick against the "best hs football program in the country" is a hater. Seems legit. ☕

WOS catches flack because of people like you! People who cant stand to see someone other than their own team win!