BISD athletics cut?

fox

Some schools need to go where the top teams and top players are playing. That attracts college coaches during Nov & Dec.

ok. Nederland tournament and Gamble Classic looks like it will be with the cuts BISD wanna make, blame them knuckleheads who stole them millions. ;)

I honestly believe the cuts will be more of a cutback on funding ie. equipment, facilities, travel, etc. Maybe a few low participation sports gets cut but I do not see BISD cutting out athletics as a whole.

Not sending bands to away games, making teams play more local, no playing tourney's outside of area, cutting back on staff, etc. Things of this nature is what I expect BISD to do to help with the budget.

Logical and a good way to start.

Some schools need to go where the top teams and top players are playing. That attracts college coaches during Nov & Dec.

When your school district is in the financial shape that BISD finds themselves in ($20 million dollar shortfall on budget, laying off 100's of teachers), going to a "prestigious" tourney well outside the area is way, way down on the priority list.

A couple years ago Premont shut down sports for a year to focus on academics as well as save money but that was a small school not a multiple school district.

One solution that could work is the use of sports such as basketball and soccer playing boys and girls games at the same site to cut games needed to be attended by the police in half.

While I agree that they should look at all programs, including athletics, to cut the budget shortfall; the ONLY way they can cut that gap is by reducing the number of personal. Payroll makes up approximately 80% of every school district and probably more in larger districts.  Cutting back on travel to a few tournaments and not letting the band go to out of town games may save a few thousand but not anywhere close to the millions they are looking for. 

If you are looking to make up part of the money in athletics they will have to cut back on the coaching staffs. 

While I agree that they should look at all programs, including athletics, to cut the budget shortfall; the ONLY way they can cut that gap is by reducing the number of personal. Payroll makes up approximately 80% of every school district and probably more in larger districts.  Cutting back on travel to a few tournaments and not letting the band go to out of town games may save a few thousand but not anywhere close to the millions they are looking for. 

If you are looking to make up part of the money in athletics they will have to cut back on the coaching staffs. 

Sadly, I agree.

(probably could start with the 17 football coaches at Central) ;)

When your school district is in the financial shape that BISD finds themselves in ($20 million dollar shortfall on budget, laying off 100's of teachers), going to a "prestigious" tourney well outside the area is way, way down on the priority list.

they said athletics caused most of the PD overtime. UIL has rules about having police at all sporting events. they will save money contracting but not near enough.

people are going to lose their minds when they cut athletics.

Athletics & other extracurricular activities help to shape young minds.

I also Posted this in another forum....

Sports in schools, what's the main purpose anyway?

A) Athletic Scholarship
B ) School Pride
C) Keep kids off the streets and in school
D)_____________(other)

A) Most if not all (other than football) are earned in a "club" or "select" atmosphere anyway
B ) IMO the most reasonable purpose because in most cases (other than football) it's watered down competition anyway, so it really serves no other purpose.
C) This is a parenting issue and could be a topic of it's own (schools shouldn't be babysitters before, during, or after school)
D) To give a person the highlight of their life, when i played ____ (fill in the blank) in high school, i was this, or I was that, and I made the All _____(fill in the blank) team....I was good man.

Moving in the direction public school intermural sports would not be a bad thing....wanna play...PAY! It's not a "right" , they don't "deserve" the opportunity, HS sports shouldn't be the highlight of your life.

What about the "poor" kids? Well, they exist in "club" or "select" sports already....fundraisers and/or sponsors pay for them to play....I would know (15 years in select sports...softball) Several kids (almost like my own) that would otherwise not have been able to attend college, have gotten scholarships, including from our select organization.

And before I get bashed - my kid is a Div I athlete....honor student. Nothing HS sports contributed to that. Did she enjoy it...absolutely! Did she learn things other than or different than her club/select program? Sure, but that's not where she got seen by her college coaches.

Point being, her personal work ethics (academics and athletics) is what gained her, her opportunity, along with exposure outside of HS sports....

Are HS sports really needed? (leave emotions out of the equations) 

I also Posted this in another forum....

Sports in schools, what's the main purpose anyway?

A) Athletic Scholarship
B ) School Pride
C) Keep kids off the streets and in school
D)_____________(other)

A) Most if not all (other than football) are earned in a "club" or "select" atmosphere anyway
B ) IMO the most reasonable purpose because in most cases (other than football) it's watered down competition anyway, so it really serves no other purpose.
C) This is a parenting issue and could be a topic of it's own (schools shouldn't be babysitters before, during, or after school)
D) To give a person the highlight of their life, when i played ____ (fill in the blank) in high school, i was this, or I was that, and I made the All _____(fill in the blank) team....I was good man.

Moving in the direction public school intermural sports would not be a bad thing....wanna play...PAY! It's not a "right" , they don't "deserve" the opportunity, HS sports shouldn't be the highlight of your life.

What about the "poor" kids? Well, they exist in "club" or "select" sports already....fundraisers and/or sponsors pay for them to play....I would know (15 years in select sports...softball) Several kids (almost like my own) that would otherwise not have been able to attend college, have gotten scholarships, including from our select organization.

And before I get bashed - my kid is a Div I athlete....honor student. Nothing HS sports contributed to that. Did she enjoy it...absolutely! Did she learn things other than or different than her club/select program? Sure, but that's not where she got seen by her college coaches.

Point being, her personal work ethics (academics and athletics) is what gained her, her opportunity, along with exposure outside of HS sports....

Are HS sports really needed? (leave emotions out of the equations) 

Its getting to where football players can go to camps and 7 on 7 and get college offers. So, lets include almighty football in your equation. 

Its getting to where football players can go to camps and 7 on 7 and get college offers. So, lets include almighty football in your equation. 

Glad to hear that. I knew of both of those (camps and 7 on 7) just wasn't sure of the opportunities. Thanks for adding....so, do you agree with a potential movement of HS sports moving to a intermural type format, leaving the "high level" to club/select programs?

Glad to hear that. I knew of both of those (camps and 7 on 7) just wasn't sure of the opportunities. Thanks for adding....so, do you agree with a potential movement of HS sports moving to a intermural type format, leaving the "high level" to club/select programs?

I agree. Might as well make it official. It would be interesting to put football in the same circle especially since football is like a religion in Texas. Put football on a intramural status too. Again, your D-1 level athletes are getting their looks in "select camps" anyway.

I have always thought the same thing about the BISD Police Dept.  Then again, its easy for me to say that considering I don't have any children going to that school district.  I know that many districts, including my own WOS, have police officers at games and events at the school.  If needed, there are also, at times, a police officer at the school during the day.  I would think that is more economical then having an entire "police force" on duty all of the time. 

Is there anyone out there that can give figures on this?  How much for on compus, full time, school employed police force VS using the City police dept?

The city could save tons of money by doing away with police department. They could go back to hiring Beaumont PD for probably $40 an hour, but not have to worry about health insurance, retirement, police vehicles, etc. There are alot of school districts that have PD's, but when it comes to crunch time, districts can save alot when contracted out to city and county. Problem is the school district can't dictate who is arrested, ticketed, etc. Police can actually take care of issues instead of political BS. That's the straight up answer. Districts only create PD's to keep everything under the rug.

Another thing to save money would be go back to two high schools. I've been saying it for a while now. There's no reason with Beaumont population declining to have 3 high schools. You would have alot less cost in the athletic department, less travel, etc.

There is 18 Principals, Associate Principals, and Assistant Principals at the the high school level. If you combined to two schools again, you could have one Principal, one Associate Principal, and one assistant principal per grade for a total of 6 Administrators were school. That would cut 6 administrators just from the high school level and save close to $600,000 a year right there. The district would be able to trim non essential faculty and staff as well. You add cost of the building maintenance, etc. and I bet your at or close to where they need to be. Time to trim the fat IMO.

Another thing to save money would be go back to two high schools. I've been saying it for a while now. There's no reason with Beaumont population declining to have 3 high schools. You would have alot less cost in the athletic department, less travel, etc.

Ozen shouldn't have been opened in the beginning. BISD is better off with 2 5A(6A) schools. It was meant something that way. Ozen's enrollment is probably declining. I feel bad for the school district these days on what they had to go through!

There is 18 Principals, Associate Principals, and Assistant Principals at the the high school level. If you combined to two schools again, you could have one Principal, one Associate Principal, and one assistant principal per grade for a total of 6 Administrators were school. That would cut 6 administrators just from the high school level and save close to $600,000 a year right there. The district would be able to trim non essential faculty and staff as well. You add cost of the building maintenance, etc. and I bet your at or close to where they need to be. Time to trim the fat IMO.

That stadium shouldn't have never been built... They should've upgraded the two stadiums!!

the big question would be what high school should they close.

The city could save tons of money by doing away with police department. They could go back to hiring Beaumont PD for probably $40 an hour, but not have to worry about health insurance, retirement, police vehicles, etc. There are alot of school districts that have PD's, but when it comes to crunch time, districts can save alot when contracted out to city and county. Problem is the school district can't dictate who is arrested, ticketed, etc. Police can actually take care of issues instead of political BS. That's the straight up answer. Districts only create PD's to keep everything under the rug.             

Beaumont PD is $35 a hour to contract them for security. I think a district PD can be effect with the right chief in place. I think it is good thing for the safety for the students. 

the big question would be what high school should they close.

That is the problem with BISD and community. If you close Ozen, the pear orchard is pissed, if you close WB, the west end is pissed, if you close Central, the northend is pissed. When I was in school, it was Central and WB, and both did very well in sports, as well as academics. Doesn't matter to me which one is closed, but that's for the big dogs to decide.