BISD athletics cut?

fox

WOW!  Cut out what could be the one and only thing that keeps a lot of kids off the streets and prevents them from doing wrong and actually gives them a REASON to "make the grade" and keep on keepin on!!!  I know the article did say its not just athletics being looked at to compensate for the budget deficient and that is only fair.  I agree that there needs to be cuts all across the board; I just hate that the KIDS are having to pay the price for the ADULTS sticky fingers.

...they definitely won't be cutting all sports... I'm pretty confident in that.

I've been saying for several years that the BISD Police should've BEEN cut. They don't serve much purpose and IMO not necessary....

I have always thought the same thing about the BISD Police Dept.  Then again, its easy for me to say that considering I don't have any children going to that school district.  I know that many districts, including my own WOS, have police officers at games and events at the school.  If needed, there are also, at times, a police officer at the school during the day.  I would think that is more economical then having an entire "police force" on duty all of the time. 

Is there anyone out there that can give figures on this?  How much for on compus, full time, school employed police force VS using the City police dept?

Being a former BISD kid, there wasn't a BISD Police force back then and things operated pretty well. If there was a problem, the real poli e officers are called in and/or a coach or male teach was called in to stop the confusion. Also, parents were more involved and proactive on a lot of situations.

The current BISD police are always seen doing nothing... Some of thwm do a piss poor job doing their job even when a situation presents itself. Also, its been rumored for several years now that there are many of the BISD police that's doing a lot of inappropriate things toward and around the students..

Being a former BISD kid, there wasn't a BISD Police force back then and things operated pretty well. If there was a problem, the real poli e officers are called in and/or a coach or male teach was called in to stop the confusion. Also, parents were more involved and proactive on a lot of situations.

The current BISD police are always seen doing nothing... Some of thwm do a piss poor job doing their job even when a situation presents itself. Also, its been rumored for several years now that there are many of the BISD police that's doing a lot of inappropriate things toward and around the students..

NOT trying to sound rude, but I am not surprised by what you said about the rumors.  With so many corrupt people "in charge" there, and kickbacks all over the place, I don't doubt the rumors are correct.  I don't want any of the BISD teachers cut; but at the same time, I don't want what could be the ONE thing that keeps these kids looking toward their future with excitement being cut either.  It's a sad, sad situation all around.

WOW! Sad that the greed of adults, was aloud to go on to long, and the kids now have to be punished for it. Without athletics, the kids will find other things to do to occupy their time. IF the athletics were to be cut, the UIL should allow any child who participates in a UIL event, to transfer without penalty. That's just my opinion.  

I honestly believe the cuts will be more of a cutback on funding ie. equipment, facilities, travel, etc. Maybe a few low participation sports gets cut but I do not see BISD cutting out athletics as a whole.

Not sending bands to away games, making teams play more local, no playing tourney's outside of area, cutting back on staff, etc. Things of this nature is what I expect BISD to do to help with the budget.

I honestly believe the cuts will be more of a cutback on funding ie. equipment, facilities, travel, etc. Maybe a few low participation sports gets cut but I do not see BISD cutting out athletics as a whole.

Not sending bands to away games, making teams play more local, no playing tourney's outside of area, cutting back on staff, etc. Things of this nature is what I expect BISD to do to help with the budget.

This is where cuts should be made. Its a crying shame that any cuts have to be made, but with the rampant theft and corruption, there isn't enough money to operate the school, much less fund extracurricular activities. Here is where a booster club could help out, but unfortunately, there has been theft and corruption there too. It is really sad for the kids involved.

I have always thought the same thing about the BISD Police Dept. Then again, its easy for me to say that considering I don't have any children going to that school district. I know that many districts, including my own WOS, have police officers at games and events at the school. If needed, there are also, at times, a police officer at the school during the day. I would think that is more economical then having an entire "police force" on duty all of the time.

Is there anyone out there that can give figures on this? How much for on compus, full time, school employed police force VS using the City police dept?

I was told that the Bisd police is around 4million and when they used Bpd the last year it was around 1 million

I guess BISD basketball could go play in Sabine Pass Tourney or Barbers Hill.

I was told that the Bisd police is around 4million and when they used Bpd the last year it was around 1 million

rom the article "Also on the table, the BISD police department, which operates on a $2 million budget."

they also said they are looking to cut 17 million by next week.

has a school ever lost their athletics?