Larry Haynes named new AD/HC at Lumberton

[quote name="utfan06" post="1408004" timestamp="1369402600"]
You could have Rex Ryan be the new coach ..but no talent or lack of athletes and it doesn't matter who coaches lol
[/quote]

UTFan, you still never explained your post about 2A being a lot different than 4A.  Other than the obvious, enrollment, what is the big difference?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1408007" timestamp="1369403195"]
[quote author=utfan06 link=topic=112129.msg1408004#msg1408004 date=1369402600]
You could have Rex Ryan be the new coach ..but no talent or lack of athletes and it doesn't matter who coaches lol
[/quote]

UTFan, you still never explained your post about 2A being a lot different than 4A.  Other than the obvious, enrollment, what is the big difference?
[/quote]

Depth.  Katy has 10 D1 players while some 2a schools may have 1. 

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1408001" timestamp="1369402126"]
Speaking to the QB position, or any position, I've been around sports long enough to know that with a new coach, EVERY position is open.  Lumberton has some starters from last year that are returning, so their names will be at the top of the list, but nobody should know right now who Coach Haynes will start at any position.  And that's how it should be.  You want those kids working their butts off for the next few months trying to be the starter for Week 1.  Then you want them fighting each week trying to take that spot from the guy that beat them out.  Lumberton has some competitive under classmen who are going to give some older kids a run for their money.  It will make everyone better.
[/quote]

And you might get some of that hall walking talent back also...

I will say this, if you cannot throw the ball, you will not play QB for Larry Haynes.  If Lumberton does not have someone who can throw it, he will take  their best athlete and teach him how to throw it.  Jordan Nolan and Miles Taylor are examples of this.  They were both good athletes, but neither was destined to the the type of QB they were before Haynes arrival.  Lumberton will sling it.  They will live by it, and die by it.  I'd assume the QB position is open. 

[quote name="Scatright" post="1407971" timestamp="1369394959"]
I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I certainly didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion about whether or not I was a good football player!  I probably couldn't even remember how to pad a pair of pants these days, so that is a moot point. 

I have had many conversations with Coach Haynes.  He is a good man, and a good offensive coach.  He lacks a lot on the defensive side of the ball, and I think even he would admit that.  I have seen his Hardin program crumble due to discipline issues.  I work with a guy who played for him at Crosby and told me the same thing happened there due to discipline issues.  That is why I have formed the opinion I have. You don't have to agree with it, but I feel it is justified. 

I wish him luck.  I really do.  I just kinda think a 4A program, with recent success, in a great town could've done a little better.  That's all.  I hope Ltown proves me wrong.
[/quote]

That's your  opinion  fair enough

[quote name="Scatright" post="1408023" timestamp="1369406158"]
I will say this, if you cannot throw the ball, you will not play QB for Larry Haynes.  If Lumberton does not have someone who can throw it, he will take  their best athlete and teach him how to throw it.  Jordan Nolan and Miles Taylor are examples of this.  They were both good athletes, but neither was destined to the the type of QB they were before Haynes arrival.  Lumberton will sling it.  They will live by it, and die by it.  I'd assume the QB position is open.
[/quote]Good post, I agree. My cousin George Westbrook says Larry Haynes may have been one of the best QB's in the history of Liberty County when he played for Hardin in 1974 and Liberty in 1975. Then Haynes played QB 4 years at Lamar. He set records at Lamar. He knows QB play.

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1408040" timestamp="1369408944"]
[quote author=Scatright link=topic=112129.msg1408023#msg1408023 date=1369406158]
[/quote]Good post, I agree. My cousin George Westbrook says Larry Haynes may have been one of the best QB's in the history of Liberty County when he played for Hardin in 1974 and Liberty in 1975. Then Haynes played QB 4 years at Lamar. He set records at Lamar. He knows QB play.
[/quote]

I once watched Coach Barrier (OC at Jasper), when he was at HD, turn a tight end named Kade Brett into one of the best QBs HD has ever seen.  Best part of that story is that the transformation didn't even start until week 3 of the season.  I say that to show that if a coach knows how to coach the QB position, and he has a coachable kid with a little bit of athletic talent, that coach can create a great QB.  I would imagine this will probably take place at Lumberton.  It's like watching someone mold a lump of clay. haha

Jordan Nolan was a good quarterback before Haynes came to Hardin.  He wasn't given a chance until Coach Haynes came.  I can remember watching him during the last couple of games of his junior year and wondering why this kid had not been the starting qb all year.

[quote name="thebighornet" post="1408329" timestamp="1369490118"]
Jordan Nolan was a good quarterback before Haynes came to Hardin.  He wasn't given a chance until Coach Haynes came.  I can remember watching him during the last couple of games of his junior year and wondering why this kid had not been the starting qb all year.
[/quote]

I knew someone would say that.  Are you telling me that if Coach Morgan had stayed there that Nolan would've been half as good as he was under Haynes? 

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1408016" timestamp="1369405277"]
[quote author=AthleticSupporter - Jock link=topic=112129.msg1408007#msg1408007 date=1369403195]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Depth.  Katy has 10 D1 players while some 2a schools may have 1.
[/quote]

Phatmack, I don't believe that is what UTFan was implying.  It sounded to me like UTFan was saying that it would be easier to win at 2A than at 4A which doesn't make sense.  Haynes has as much success if not more at the 4A and 5A levels than 2A.  Or is UTFan saying that it should be easier to win at 4A because he will have more players to choose from.  I'd really like to hear a response from UTFan.  I think it would be an interesting topic to debate.

[quote name="AthleticSupporter - Jock" post="1408007" timestamp="1369403195"]
[/quote]

[/quote]well other than the obvious, enrollment? That's pretty much everything...pure numbers typically allow a 4A team to be much stronger than a 2A team...sometimes when you get to dealing with 4A and 5A you can have some pretty intense match ups but trends say one is stronger than the other. As far as talent in Lumberton...I think they have talent and have had talent over the past years but not enough to be completely competitive. I personally would not have tried to relive the past with Haynes...to many other good coaches out in Texas football land who I think would have brought change and excitement to Lumbertons Football program...JMO

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1408542" timestamp="1369666445"]
I'm guessing the defense will take a step back but at least offensively Haynes will be consistent. [b]Lumberton probably switched up the offense too much under the previous coach and that is hard for high school kids.[/b]
[/quote] How? Wasnt they running the same offense when they went to playoffs those years under Credeur?

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1408568" timestamp="1369685295"]
I am not talking about the good years under Credeur. They went from spread and I to just the I and then from the I to the Wing-T in a three year timespan. from 2010-2012
[/quote] ahhhhh.........

No Scatright, I'm not saying that.  If Coach Morgan would have stayed his son more than likely have been the quarterback starting his freshman year.  Jordan Nolan was a good quarterback his junior year when given the opportunity.  Anthony Morgan went on to have alot of success at Carthage.

[quote name="thebighornet" post="1408587" timestamp="1369704399"]
No Scatright, I'm not saying that.  If Coach Morgan would have stayed his son more than likely have been the quarterback starting his freshman year.  Jordan Nolan was a good quarterback his junior year when given the opportunity.  [b]Anthony Morgan went on to have alot of success at Carthage[/b].
[/quote]  ;)

[quote name=""Benchwarmer"" post="1408031" timestamp="1369407745"]
[quote author=Scatright link=topic=112129.msg1407971#msg1407971 date=1369394959]
I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I certainly didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion about whether or not I was a good football player!  I probably couldn't even remember how to pad a pair of pants these days, so that is a moot point. 

I have had many conversations with Coach Haynes.  He is a good man, and a good offensive coach.  He lacks a lot on the defensive side of the ball, and I think even he would admit that.  I have seen his Hardin program crumble due to discipline issues.  I work with a guy who played for him at Crosby and told me the same thing happened there due to discipline issues.  That is why I have formed the opinion I have. You don't have to agree with it, but I feel it is justified. 

I wish him luck.  I really do.  I just kinda think a 4A program, with recent success, in a great town could've done a little better.  That's all.  I hope Ltown proves me wrong.
[/quote]

Once again I played on the 2 teams in Crosby my Jr. and Sr. years. My freshman and sophmore year we were 1-9 both seasons on varsity. Then Haynes came in we went 6-4 then 8-4 the second year. Then He took a 5 A job. So at what point did that crumble due to discipline? things were trending up when Haynes left and then the next year after he was gone 4-6 back to a losing record. Once again these are the facts not rumor and speculation.

Once again I played on the 2 teams in Crosby my Jr. and Sr. years. My freshman and sophmore year we were 1-9 both seasons on varsity. Then Haynes came in we went 6-4 then 8-4 the second year. Then He took a 5 A job. So at what point did that crumble due to discipline? things were trending up when Haynes left and then the next year after he was gone 4-6 back to a losing record. Once again these are the facts not rumor and speculation.

[quote name="thebighornet" post="1408587" timestamp="1369704399"]
No Scatright, I'm not saying that.  If Coach Morgan would have stayed his son more than likely have been the quarterback starting his freshman year.  Jordan Nolan was a good quarterback his junior year when given the opportunity.  Anthony Morgan went on to have alot of success at Carthage.
[/quote]

You totally missed my point.  I am very familiar with Anthony Morgan and his success at Carthage.  The statement had nothing to do with Anthony, or Morgan for that matter, we were talking about Haynes ability to develop QB's.  Take Anthony out of the equation and Nolan doesn't become half the QB he was under Haynes if Morgan is still coaching.  I think we agree on that.

Hold on Scatright, I wanna know how exactly Haynes program at crosby fell apart due to discipline problems when they went 8-4 his last year there. You get on here and run your mouth about a man who ran the program I played in with discipline and taught life lessons to his players, then when someone calls you out for your rumors and hearsay that you pass off as gospel you don't have much to say.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder