Bridge City 0 Anahuac 33/FINAL

AggiesAreWe

40 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Takes time any time you hire a new coach.  I think if he hangs around, this could still have been a great hire for the Cards. 

It doesn't happen overnight.  Look at the first couple years from Silsbee's coaching change, though few would wanna go back to some of those comments.

Though there will always be haters. Lol.

1 hour ago, Silsbee92 said:

It doesn't happen overnight.  Look at the first couple years from Silsbee's coaching change, though few would wanna go back to some of those comments.

Though there will always be haters. Lol.

True.  You have to give a first year coach a chance.  But, having 9 returners on offense has to be a plus don't you think?

Just now, Reagan said:

True.  You have to give a first year coach a chance.  But, having 9 returners on offense has to be a plus don't you think?

Silsbee had Calvin Tyler first year of Smith. 

One slip at the goal line and another trip on defense sealed it.  Then the calls for poor coaching, etc started rolling in.

Again, some are just not patient and even worse never satisfied.  

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I’m not trying to knock any kids, but there’s no comparing the talent level of the qb pool at Westlake and BC. But they’re trying to install a similar offense in BC. It’s gonna take time. Without a decent transfer you’re YEARS away from developing a field general at BC. Same for receivers, secondary, etc….

what we don’t need is only 24 kids dressed out by the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

The few that I've spoke with say he'll be given every opportunity to succeed. And that kids are encouraged to play all sports. Sounds like he's in it for the long stretch too. But its not gonna happen overnight at BC. As long as the younger kids have something to work towards, they'll stay the path and BC should be competitive. Maybe not DC conversation, but at least get some playoff wins.

Yessir. The kids love him and have to keep working. We’ve had some bad luck, but every team does. The boys have to adjust and get better. 

On 9/18/2021 at 3:43 PM, CardinalBacker said:

I’m not trying to knock any kids, but there’s no comparing the talent level of the qb pool at Westlake and BC. But they’re trying to install a similar offense in BC. It’s gonna take time. Without a decent transfer you’re YEARS away from developing a field general at BC. Same for receivers, secondary, etc….

what we don’t need is only 24 kids dressed out by the end of the season. 

Do many of the top baseball players at BC not play football? With the new offence, it will take time to adjust and will require all athletes to participate. BC can always take a stud baseball player and develop him as a good QB. Though, these kids need several years in this system leading up to varsity play to be efficient in this type of offence. The typical run, run, run offence normally does not require a lot of skill and thinking; just line up, put your best runner(s) at RB and everyone go forward. Little more to it, but you get what I'm trying to say. I think if this coach stays around, then yall will see big strides in the near future. I hated watching yalls old offense. Hell, I hate watching my team, Newton, offense as well. Too many good athletes not being used and teams can focus on just a one or two. 

The OC developed a number of really good QB's at West Brook. One a WRS finalist and then followed that with one that won the WRS.  He also helped Bryce Anderson develop into a much better passer.  Have some faith in these guys.  Head coach actually really cares and pushing to make that program better. It's not an overnight transition from the slot-t to the spread.  

Also, how many kids for BC were out due to injury/covid?

1 hour ago, TheOutsider said:

The OC developed a number of really good QB's at West Brook. One a WRS finalist and then followed that with one that won the WRS.  He also helped Bryce Anderson develop into a much better passer.  Have some faith in these guys.  Head coach actually really cares and pushing to make that program better. It's not an overnight transition from the slot-t to the spread.  

Also, how many kids for BC were out due to injury/covid?

That's what I'm hoping... It's gonna take time.  They've been out of the Slot T for a couple of years.  No idea on the injury/covid list.

2 hours ago, Fast Turtle said:

Do many of the top baseball players at BC not play football? With the new offence, it will take time to adjust and will require all athletes to participate. BC can always take a stud baseball player and develop him as a good QB. Though, these kids need several years in this system leading up to varsity play to be efficient in this type of offence. The typical run, run, run offence normally does not require a lot of skill and thinking; just line up, put your best runner(s) at RB and everyone go forward. Little more to it, but you get what I'm trying to say. I think if this coach stays around, then yall will see big strides in the near future. I hated watching yalls old offense. Hell, I hate watching my team, Newton, offense as well. Too many good athletes not being used and teams can focus on just a one or two. 

I can't speak very accurately on this year, but a lot of our baseball players have always avoided playing football.  It's not uncommon to see kids in street clothes on the sideline warming up the actual qb, but throwing much better than the qb.  Our senior QB in 2014 got a jersey but never took a snap.  Just slung it around on the sidelines and took pictures.  He's gone on to great things in baseball, but it didn't do much for the football team.  Starting tailback in 2017 (sophomore) quit the team to focus on baseball.  So many kids from BC get to play Baseball at the next level that it's cool to punk out on fb, but still stand around on the sidelines and pretend to be part of the team.   It's infectious... you can pretend to be a better baseball player than you actually are by sitting out of football to "focus on baseball."

11 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I can't speak very accurately on this year, but a lot of our baseball players have always avoided playing football.  It's not uncommon to see kids in street clothes on the sideline warming up the actual qb, but throwing much better than the qb.  Our senior QB in 2014 got a jersey but never took a snap.  Just slung it around on the sidelines and took pictures.  He's gone on to great things in baseball, but it didn't do much for the football team.  Starting tailback in 2017 (sophomore) quit the team to focus on baseball.  So many kids from BC get to play Baseball at the next level that it's cool to punk out on fb, but still stand around on the sidelines and pretend to be part of the team.   It's infectious... you can pretend to be a better baseball player than you actually are by sitting out of football to "focus on baseball."

Yeah, I understand what you're saying here. It's not that BC does not have athletes, they just need to get everyone to buy in at a younger age and get everyone playing. I understand baseball is in several of the players future at the next level, but playing football does not disable that dream of theirs (unless there is some freak accident). Most select / travel ball is played in the summer and playing football should be a good "time away" from baseball until school ball approaches. Hopefully this new coach will get everyone on board and BC can finally get to the point where all the good baseball players play football. 

I'm not entirely sure how many were out Friday night. I do not think anyone missing was covid related. QB1 was out (hopefully back after bye), we lost a starting LB in scrimmage (out for season). Lost starting TE in Tarkington game (not sure if for the year yet). Starting LT out for season. Another OL starter hasn't played yet this year hopefully will be ready after the bye. Missed another starting LB Friday night, hopefully ready after the bye. Couple of other guys out, not starters, but depth is a major issue at the moment. None of that matters, every team has injuries. Adapt and overcome...

As far as the old baseball routine, Fielder, King, Abate, Bearden, Collins all played Varsity baseball last year and are all on the football team Hallman would be on the list also, but is out for the  year. We have several others on the football team who played JV baseball. I know its a popular talking point on this site, but believe it or not, kids do play both sports here in BC. Baseball coaches also coach football. 

BC changes coaches about every 4 years on average, hard to build consistency starting at the lower levels when most of those kids see coaching changes between 7th and 12th grade. Like I've said before, the kids love these coaches. It takes time.

1 hour ago, DLivingston said:

I'm not entirely sure how many were out Friday night. I do not think anyone missing was covid related. QB1 was out (hopefully back after bye), we lost a starting LB in scrimmage (out for season). Lost starting TE in Tarkington game (not sure if for the year yet). Starting LT out for season. Another OL starter hasn't played yet this year hopefully will be ready after the bye. Missed another starting LB Friday night, hopefully ready after the bye. Couple of other guys out, not starters, but depth is a major issue at the moment. None of that matters, every team has injuries. Adapt and overcome...

As far as the old baseball routine, Fielder, King, Abate, Bearden, Collins all played Varsity baseball last year and are all on the football team Hallman would be on the list also, but is out for the  year. We have several others on the football team who played JV baseball. I know its a popular talking point on this site, but believe it or not, kids do play both sports here in BC. Baseball coaches also coach football. 

BC changes coaches about every 4 years on average, hard to build consistency starting at the lower levels when most of those kids see coaching changes between 7th and 12th grade. Like I've said before, the kids love these coaches. It takes time.

Well said.